Profile for Blind Brian > Reviews

Content by Blind Brian

Blind Brian (East London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Seashore Animals : ( The Clue Books ) :
Seashore Animals : ( The Clue Books ) :

5.0 out of 5 stars A great out-of-print series, 27 May 2012
I wrote this review about 'Trees' in the same series; in my opinion it hold true for the whole series.

In my opinion it is little short of a scandal that the Clue series of books from OUP are out of print.

They are simply THE most wonderful resource for primary aged children to use in the identification of a range of British flora and fauna.

As a teacher I used them throughout 30 years of my career, and children and staff loved them. As a parent I bought them for my child, and they are still used by my grandchildren.

If OUP had an ounce (or a gram) of commercial sense, they would revise and reissue them, and extend the series as much as possible. They would be an excellence resource within the National Curriculum for primary science.

Clue published volumes relating to Birds, Flowers, Tracks and Signs, Insects, Trees, Freshwater Animals, and Seashore Animals. There may be more for all I know; if there were and I knew where to find them, I'd buy them!!

Freshwater Animals (Clue Books)
Freshwater Animals (Clue Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great out-of-print series, 27 May 2012

Insects and Other Small Animals without Bony Skeletons (Clue Books)
Insects and Other Small Animals without Bony Skeletons (Clue Books)
Price: 3.88

5.0 out of 5 stars A great out-of-print series, 27 May 2012

Tracks and Signs (Clue Books)
Tracks and Signs (Clue Books)

Flowers (Clue Books)
Flowers (Clue Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great out-of-print series, 27 May 2012
This review is from: Flowers (Clue Books) (Hardcover)
I wrote this review about 'Tree' in the same series; in my opinion it hold true for the whole series.

Trees (Clue Books)
Trees (Clue Books)
by Gwen Allen John Denslow

5.0 out of 5 stars A great out-of-print series, 27 May 2012
This review is from: Trees (Clue Books) (Hardcover)
I wrote this review about 'Trees' in this series; the same comment holds for all the series.

BIRDS.
BIRDS.
by Gwen & Joan Denslow. Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for children and out of print, 23 April 2012
This review is from: BIRDS. (Hardcover)

Nairn's Paris
Nairn's Paris
by Ian. NAIRN

5.0 out of 5 stars Parisian Nostalgia, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Nairn's Paris (Paperback)
I bought this book second-hand because I had originally owned it on its publication. I also owned the companion Nairn's London (it's where I live) and find it interesting to compare Nairn's comments to the actual locations he describes, as they are now. I plan to do the same in Paris, which is a place I love walking in. One of the things about Paris is that it has become increasingly a city where the working class work or visit, rather than a place where they live. They travel in from the banlieu by RER (but have the advantage over us in that they get a seat, don't experience crush and stuffiness, and don't pay crazy prices [yet]) ..... My view is that David Cameron has the same aim of expelling the poor from central London and it won't take forever to achieve it. Much of the fabric of a working class city remains in Paris, but is in the process of being gentrified rather in the manner one sees in London, except rather more so. In the context of this process in operation, Nairn's interest in the city as a place to experience and enjoy is illuminating, and a ticket back to the past. As in London, the past is being destroyed or remade, sometimes for the better, often for worse. I am grateful for Nairn's journey in the last 60s (published in 1968) because he is a cheerful and idiosyncratic writer, who wanders, stops for a glass of wine, and who just loves life in the slow lane. He has catalogued a place that was charming and often scruffy, so that we can remember and compare it to the sleeker, more formal, more commercial, present. I look forward to a number of Parisian journeys in the company of this great and under-estimated writer about our place in the world.

Memphis and the Delta Blues Trail (Great Destinations)
Memphis and the Delta Blues Trail (Great Destinations)
by Justin Gage
Price: 12.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Visiting the Delta, 20 Mar 2011
I bought this because I have a strong interest in music of the American south, and have long thought of making a trip there and have little idea of how to go about doing so. The book is well-written and gives details of places to visit, to stay and to eat across the region; it answers a lot of my potential anxieties. The authors clearly know the area well, have a similar and informed interest in the music, and have set out to answer my needs. I think they have also succeeded in providing me with most the information I want with the one proviso that it will soon, no doubt, be out of date, and I must make my trip quickly if they are not going to keep it regularly updated. I suspect that this is not a company like Lonely Planet or Rough Guide that will regularly update, but that should not detract from the quality of the work here, both by the writers and the publishers.

61: The Spurs Double (Football)
61: The Spurs Double (Football)
by Vision Sports Publishing
Price: 25.22

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reminder of a great year, 20 Mar 2011
This is a well-produced in-house coffee table book that, for an old-timer like me who watched all the double year home games, is a great piece of instant nostalgia. There are lots of photos, many of which are entirely new to me, and good detailed chapters about players. Each match gets a summary and the whole thing is put together with quality. I recommend it to any Spurs supporter who wants to know about this great year in our history, or wants to relive it. I shall be buying it for my brother's next birthday too ....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3