Profile for Mrs. Angela M. Lloyd > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Angela M....

Mrs. Angela M. Lloyd

The Tradescants' Orchard: The Mystery of a Seventeenth-Century Painted Fruit Book
by Barrie Juniper

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tradescant Orchard, 13 Dec. 2013
I am distressed to find that having taken the trouble to write a review, I was required to concoct a heading for it or it would be cancelled - no further instructin - so my review was blotted out. I cannot afford the time to reeat things like this. I had taken some trouble to write whay I thought of the book and reccommend it highty. I am a prfoessional author and quite upset about this.

A Gardener's Year
A Gardener's Year
by Tom (ed) Pocock

5.0 out of 5 stars Good service through Amazon, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: A Gardener's Year (Hardcover)
This beautiful book I first obtained from the Folio Society, but I gave that copy to a friend, and missed it so much I wanted another. It was very difficult to find, but finally I obtained a used copy through Amazon - the slip cover is a bit stained, but then a slip cover is there to protect the book, and the book is in excellent conditioin. it reached me very quickly, safely packed with no further damage.

The book is enchanting, an anthology for garden-lovers, and art-lovers, sensitively put together and beautifully produced, full of lovely images and delithgful writing.

Pearl Buck in China: Journey to the Good Earth
Pearl Buck in China: Journey to the Good Earth
by Hilary Spurling

5.0 out of 5 stars A view of China, 13 July 2010
This is an outstanding book, brilliantly researched and bautifully written. It gives us a glimpse of aspects of Chinese life with which I am sure most of us are not familiar - the "Old China" - China that has the long view, the history going back and back to times beyond the "given memory" of the West and Western civilisation. Pearl Buck was indeed an extraordinary woman, and her experience from early childhood in the often misguided missionary world, to her last days as a visiting observer in Maoist China, and a vain and eccentric celebrity in the United States, makes a story that is completely gripping. It preoccupied me long after finishing, and I went on to re-read The Good Earth, and then one of Buck's last books, The Three Daughters of Madame Liang, which is a devastating tale of the destruction of old China by successions of soldiers and revolutionaries. China is such a force in our future, we in the west need to learn as much as we can about her, and Hilary Spurling's book is a springboard to discovery.