Profile for Frenchie > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 524

Frenchie "Francine"
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Faust 2.0 (Morton & Mitchell Book 1)
Faust 2.0 (Morton & Mitchell Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars the oldest battle of all, time and time again..., 29 Dec. 2013
Faust 2.0 is the first book in the series called Morton and Mitchell. Which is good because I have really enjoyed it and I wanted to read more. Except, it ended too soon. So now I will have to wait for book 2 to come out. I would say it is a techno action thriller.
But you do not have to be a tech savvy to read it. I am not, there might be a few things I did not understand along the way, but they do not take anything from the story. It is so well written that you just get the meaning by carrying on reading.
The premise is that of Evil versus Good, the Evil in the form of something spreading in the underbelly of the internet. But really, you do not know who will win or if a side is winning. This is the story of that 'something' hating the human race and exploiting their weaknesses to extract a revenge.This is also the reaction of every day people who, when offered something they really want, accept the offer without questioning (or questioning very little). The story of greed over riding reason and the story of despair sometimes. It is not all that dark, there is hope and fight. There was even a passage where I needed my box of tissues. What happened was so unfair, but I will not say what it is, read the book and see if you feel as I do.
And, oh, so frustrating, the surprising ending with a cliff hanger.
I highly recommend it to all techno thrillers, suspense, maybe horror fans.
This is an undisputed 5 stars for me because I would have read it in one sitting and within a few hours if I had been on my own.

Don't Read After Dark: Keep the lights on while reading these! (A McCray Horror Collection)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 29 Dec. 2013
More 4.5
I like Carolyn McCay, so, I decided to try this other genre from her (I am a great fan of the Robin Hood Hacker ).
The stories were really good, except one (in my opinion)
- The first one, Fresh Meat, reminded me of the first and only SAW movie I watched (with my eyes closed). A girl is kidnapped and put in a dungeons with cages full of serial killers or the most depraved criminals and she is their 'treat'. Like in SAW, things happened but they are remotely engineered by the whoever is keeping them there. The story was good and the end was very twisted.

- Widowmaker was very good. The plot was plausible as horror goes and it also featured the same detective as in Fresh Meat. It is a bizarre story of a horror movie coming to life but you cannot help thinking that this could becoming true in a distant future. Twins with an evil mind and an evil druid god. On this, I do not think you would catch me watching an horror movie in a basement or even in a dark cinema, like all these people did in the story. Good ending or rather, not what you would expect.

- All Hallow's Eve: a concert for Halloween and a crazy killer is out there, his victims on the lists are all named after saints and killed in the way that the saints have been killed in the past. Very good but I have found the killer unlikely.

- Rook: Rook: Let's stop the Apocalypse- This was my favourite of them all. Rook is a complicated character but he is reminiscent of heroes of old. But what is he? a wizard? no, he is a 'Caster', well, someone with magic who works for the good of humanity, by casting spells, incantations and the likes. I also liked the idea of a mobile Hellgate. Yes Rook will always be a favourite of mine and I hope I will find more adventure with him and Beauty, his cross dresser Arranger.

- Club Death: Come for the dancing. Stay because, well, a madman has you trapped inside. My least favourite and the one I did skip a lot of pages. Most probably more my mistake than the author, because I did not understand it all.

Supper - well, I started reading it after I had my supper, and believe me, my supper threatened to come back up. Cannibalism and if you saw the movie ''Wrong Turn [DVD], it is on the same vein. No thank you, I did not want to know if a hand was more tasty in the soup than a foot. Still, there were some funny moments in all that gore.
My advice: read it on an empty stomach.

In all, there were very good stories despite the element of a 'thriller' missing a little. I should have been scared but I was not really. I enjoyed the stories a little bit too much to be scared (even the Supper one) and I think it is because Carolyn McCay is a fun person, she likes humoristic puns but they do take out the element of the thrill and the fear. It is hard to be scared when you want to smile.

Still, an undisputed four stars from me. I have been highly entertained and it is all what I asked.

For Love or Legacy (Book 2) (Legacy Collection)
For Love or Legacy (Book 2) (Legacy Collection)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good continuation to the Maid for the Billionaire, 17 Dec. 2013
We carry on exactly where we have left off in book 1, Maid for the Billionaire - Nicole, Dominic's sister will have nothing to do with him and will try to break her tyrannical father's will. She is scared that Dominic will tear it apart, put all the old loyal employees out of job. She needs help but the only one she can find is from Dominic arch' rival, Stephan.
Even though this is Nicole and Stephan's story, we have plenty of my favourite character, Dominic. It not a separate book, in fact, you have to have read Maid for the Billionaire to enjoy For Love or Legacy. Of course, it is very predictable, but as I have mentioned in my review of Maid for the Billionaire, the author knows out to make an over used plot line interesting and entertaining. You also find some hidden little gems of common wisdom in this book, I have highlighted a few on the Kindle.
The story finishes on a cliff hanger, which makes it even better because you know that in next book, there is will be a race against time.
Personally, I have found the story very good and I am not a fan of romance (well, at least, not billionaire romances). So, if the author could keep me interested, then it is a good story.

I downloaded For Love or Legacy (Book 2) (Legacy Collection) and read it from my sister's kindle.

Maid for the Billionaire (Book 1) (Legacy Collection)
Maid for the Billionaire (Book 1) (Legacy Collection)

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice read..., 17 Dec. 2013
I was not feeling well for two days and I did not want to read heavy stuff. My sister forgot her Kindle in my house, so, I checked what she had on it (because I know she usually have all kind interesting books that I don't) and I found the first book of the Legacy Series from Ruth Cardello (Maid for the billionaire).

Romance is not my favourite genre and also, after reading one of the Millionaires series this year, I thought I had my fill of them (they are quite repetitive) but then again, I decided to try Maid for the Billionaire. I was pleasantly surprised. Of course, the men are all gorgeous and the women incredibly witty and of course beautiful (but not in the model/plastic/fake type), and of course, they are all too good to be true.

It is also quite predictable as all romances go but I think that Ruth Cardello has this magic touch that transforms a corny subject into a beautiful story. Maid for the Billionaire is well written, amusing and entertaining but also very touching because it has a story, the story of a man who was a neglected and abused child and who became a tycoon. All he wanted to avoid was to be like his father but slowly by slowly, he was turning in to him. It is also the legacy of the reputation of parents that one cannot shake. The rivalry between siblings due to non communication and the pursuit of revenge. It is also the story of a man who has a lot of love to give but who does not know how nor how to receive it. And one of the bonus things is that we even have suspense and mystery.

The characters are really lovable.

And the other bonus thing for me, is that even though there are some hot scenes, they are not graphic. Ruth Cardello knows just how to add a little spice but also knows just where to stop. I think she is a very talented lady.

Well, guess what? I just downloaded the rest of the series. There are five books and the 6th one will be available in January 2014, so, I have put in pre-order (no worries, I have sent my sis a gift voucher to cover the books). And guess what? I read them all in 48 hours. I should get sick more often, I can read without being disturbed.
Here are the books in the Legacy series:
Maid for the Billionaire (Book 1) (Legacy Collection) For Love or Legacy (Book 2) (Legacy Collection) Bedding the Billionaire (Book 3) (Legacy Collection) Saving the Sheikh (Book 4) (Legacy Collection) Rise of the Billionaire (Book 5) (Legacy Collection) and in pre-order Breaching the Billionaire: Alethea's Redemption (Book 6) (Legacy Collection).

But honestly, the titles do not justice to the stories.

So, on a more serious note, I do recommend The Legacy series to anyone who wants a sound romance book or a bit of escapism with a little bite.

NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine KP120540 Mini Me Automatic Play and Select by Krups - Red/Artic Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars I love my Mini Me, 13 Dec. 2013
I love my new coffee machine. I also have a NESCAFÉ Dolce Gusto Piccolo but it is not automatic.

Yes, I know, pure indulgence, but when I saw the Dolce Gusto by Krupps at £49.99 I could not let it go.

I would say the Mini Me is more 'semi automatic' than fully automatic, as this machine does not read the bars on the pods. You select the bars on the top of the machine, and then, it will stop automatically. I prefer this because I can make my latte a little bit longer. Instead of selected 5 bars for the water (according to the milk pod) I just select 6 bars and 4 bars for the coffee (the pod reads 3). I could not do this with a fully automatic as the automatic machine reads the bars on the pod itself (I wonder how it is done).
The machine is very easy to use and to clean.
Just a little tip: select the bar on top of the lid after you have inserted the pod because as I am not very careful, twice I closed the lid on the pod and moved the marker to another bar. Result >>> disaster. But my own fault, not the design or the machine.
Check Amazon everyday for the pods, because I have noticed that prices can go up and down. I bought 3 boxes of americanos for £9.00. Now, they are at £9.99, which is not too bad. I have decided to stock up when prices are down. Of course, Tesco Metro sell them too and I am pretty sure many big supermarkets do.

It is also worth to check [...] but be aware that you have to buy a minimum of 4 boxes. Still, it is good as there is no charge on delivery at the moment(it might be only for Christmas, but when I check last week, there was a £2 charge for standard delivery).

I recommend this little machine to everyone but especially to espresso lovers. The taste is great, strong and sharp, especially the Nescafé Dolce Gusto Espresso Intenso which you can buy 48 pods for £11.04 at the moment, which is only 23p the espresso. And no mess, no measuring.

I insist on the prices because many people think these machine are expensive to run. They may be if you only drink the more exotic drinks and several a day. But two or three espressos or americanos a day will not break the bank. Even a latte is more expensive in Starbucks.

p.s I sometimes use the americano pods to make an espresso if I have ran out of espresso pods. I just reduce the water needed and voilà, I have a nice espresso, maybe not as biting but good enough for me (and americanos are slightly cheaper than espressos).

Yes, you can see, I love my Mini Me.

Betrayal in the Highlands: The Riddle in Stone Series - Book Two
Betrayal in the Highlands: The Riddle in Stone Series - Book Two

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel and a solid Fantasy, 7 Dec. 2013
rating:4.7
In order to write this review, I re-read Riddle in Stone and then read again Betrayal in the Highlands.
You can really feel the difference in the writing. In Betrayal in the Highlands, you can see that Robert Evrett has found his pace and that the hesitancy in his writing is gone.
In this second part, Edmund comes into his own. As a character, he does remind me of a certain Bilbo Baggins but a romantic one. Our Edmund would love to find someone who would love him but unfortunately, it is not to be. Not only has he got Goblin hunters after him, he also has a trio of evil magicians (cleverly introduced to us in Riddle in Stone) who will stop at nothing to get their hands on the secret he carries in his head. Therefore anyone closed to him is in danger. Which does not prevent Pond, his former pit dweller mate and mentor in the goblins' mines to stick with him and to become, if I can say so, his sidekick. We have a very deep friendship, an unsaid brotherhood bond that nothing can break between two unlikely heroes and adventurers. Not even Abby's pretty face. Yes, the author has introduced us to a new central character, Abigail. I like her a lot. Not a silly pretty face but a runaway would be adventuress, clever, intuitive and with a big heart, loyal to a fault but as impulsive as Becky, Edmund's fifty pounds puppy. Becky is also a central character and it is interesting to see how her role develops in the story.
As for Molly and Norb, well, after their betrayal, I could not find it in my heart to feel sorry for them. I loved the way Abby 'persuaded' Molly to reveal the extent of her treachery and how she used Edmund's love for her.
Betrayal in the Highlands is a solid fantasy book. But is my opnion that you have to read first Riddle in Stone.
I highly recommend both books to fantasy lovers. And no, it is nof a spin off of Lord of the Ring. Yes, you can feel Tolkien's influence but Betrayal in the Highlands is not LOTR nor The Hobbit. Edmund, Pond, Abby are normal people, with their fears, hopes for the future. They could be you or me and like Edmund, we would be talking to ourselves in our head.
The only thing I would question though in the story, is why, towards the end, Horoic, Lester and Edith had Edmund all alone in the woods but they let him (grudgingly) go. Was it because of what Becky has become or Edmund's new sword? but due to the strength of their magical powers, I feel they could have easily overpowered him. I suppose the reason will be revealed in book 3.
Oh yes, there is also a mighty twist at the end. It would be too horrific to think that the Undead King would have...no,no,no. I do not want to even think abou it.
Well, read the book to find out for yourself. My guess is that you will not regret it.
I shall be waiting eagerly for book 3.
Well done to the author.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2014 6:30 PM GMT

The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse Book 2)
The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, 27 Nov. 2013
But I did not like as much as The Assassin 's Curse. Ananna is behaving like a spoilt child and there is too much of love/hate arguments in the story. She refuses to see that Naji does care for her. It is not that she cannot see, she refuses to see and that dragged the book down . Naji is a much better character but the author made him look more like the girls ' puppet than the deep complex assassin he truly is. Like ke another reviewer , I found the manticore great fun and I also would only recommend The Pirate'wish to people who loved The Assassin's Curse.

The Lost Library
The Lost Library

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed but..., 24 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Lost Library (Kindle Edition)
I still gave it four stars because it is extremely well written and obviously, a lot of hours of research have been involved. But.... and this is where I am disappointed. I expected a solid conspiracy theory, a mysterious quest. The story is all that but it does not feel like it. What is missing is the ''cloak and dagger'' ingredient.I did not feel the anticipation and the shroud of mystery surrounding any conspiracy theory.
I felt I was reading a Nancy Drew's mystery (I am a great fan of Nancy Drew, by the way) rather than a dangerous mission of finding the lost library of Alexandria. I found Emily Weiss extremely naive and annoying, despite being a university professor. She irritated me so much by always denying what was right in front of her eyes.
The problem is that everything was too easy. The clues were too easy, the plot was too easy. If Emily could decipher the clues so easily, especially about the name of her contact, I do not see why the baddies could not.
So, I preferred to concentrate on the academic side of the book, about the history of the Lost Library that I found quite fascinating.
This will not stop me recommending the Lost Library, though, to anyone who likes a ''cosy'' mystery or Indiana Jones' adventures. As I said earlier, it is well written and the history is good. I understand it is a début novel, so, as such it is quite good, and I felt the story was ''warming up'' towards the 75% and things were happening all at once.
I have bought the second in the series, The Keystone and I think it will be a good read as I have already read a sample.

The Assassin's Curse
The Assassin's Curse

4.0 out of 5 stars Ananna of the Tanarau and Naji of the Assassins' Clan., 24 Nov. 2013
I will not go over the plot , as many readers have done this.
I am more interested in the personas of Ananna and Naji of the Assassins Clan.
Surprisingly enough and highly refreshing, Ananna is not described as a beautiful heroine. And because she is not beautiful (or so she thinks) she distrusts beautiful people as they get things coming to them easily. But what I suspect is that Ananna, from her 17 year old does not know yet the difference between being interesting and beautiful. She is brave, but also reckless to the point of being foolish but she knows what she does not want. And what she does not want, is an arranged, if not forced, marriage to the boy from another pirates' clan. Many readers expressed surprised at this, but it should not be so. Since the beginning of times, alliances have been sought through marriages and unfortunately, girls many times did not have a say.
The problem is that Ananna had a lot of potential but the author has made her less than what she should have been. The time she argues with Naji about silly things made me sometimes think that she was a spoilt brat instead of the mature 17 year old who wanted to have her own ship, impossible dream but there. I think that the author has made her typical ''well, if you say Yes, I will say NO'' and that was annoying. It is shame, Ananna had so much to give.

Naji is the assassin sent after her when she broke the bethrotal to Tarrin of the Hariri. But Naji, from the merciless and mysterious clan or order of the Assassins feels something else in Ananna. She is not just a target to be eliminated. Maybe he can feel her sleeping river magic . Even if Ananna had not been saved by magic, even if Ananna has not saved him and therefore bonded the two of them together, I think Naji would have had a problem in killing her. Naji is a complex character but more likeable than Ananna but he is also a tortured soul. He has secrets and he is not prepared to reveal them.
Do not get me wrong, the Assassin's curse is very entertaining and Ananna is a good heroine. Many girls will love her. I guess I read the book from my adult's eyes and that might be a tad unfair.

I also love the cover of the book, by the way and it is one of the things that made me by the book. I do not regret it, obviously, as I rated it 4 stars and I bought the second one The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse)for £4.55 which I found it quite high for an e-book.
But I wanted to know what happened next. So, you can see that The Assassin's curse is quite a good read.

For 77p. you cannot go wrong by downloading it. Just do not analyse the characters too much like I did but enjoy it for the magical adventure that it is.

Eye Find: A Picture Puzzle Book (Klutz Chicken Socks)
Eye Find: A Picture Puzzle Book (Klutz Chicken Socks)
by Klutz Press
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good to keep a special needs child occupied, 24 Nov. 2013
It seems to me that the reviews on this page are all mixed up for different Klutz books. My review is for Eye Find: A Picture Puzzle Book (Klutz Chicken Socks)- It is a brilliant picture puzzle book. I bought it for my nearly 9 year old who has Autism and that kept him occupied for quite a long time, which is excellent as he does not have a long attention span. What he really liked was the Night Vision torch. This was brilliant. The only thing that I wish is that the little pocket to keep the tools in could be a little bit larger as it is not easy to take out the tools without bending them. An adult would not damage them, but a small child might take them out in a hurry and therefore, bend them or break them.
There are quite a lot things to find on each pages, and quite small objects, so, I am not sure if would suit a toddler, but I think 5+ would be fine with it.
This is a book that I will keep in mind when I need to buy a gift for a child. For some reason, I find it more ''boys orientated'' than girls but it might be because of the drawings. But obviously, can be for both.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20