Profile for Kev Stock > Reviews

Treasure Island - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eddie Izzard
Offered by Discs4all

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked well, but........., 5 Jan. 2013
Just watched this over Christmas, having read the book years ago and watched several versions including the classic 1950's Disney version.
All in all a very good series. Some superb acting and camera work. Scenes were wonderfully done and costumes were every bit as over the top as they should be. The ending was a let down, it looks hurried and cut off. The character of Ben Gunn was miscast totally, yet that of Israel Hands was played out to its chilling best.
Some huge changes to the original story and Eddie Izzard is fantastic throughout. Be entertained, this is worth a place on anyone's shelf.

Ring Cyba-Lite Orion Led Torch - Black
Ring Cyba-Lite Orion Led Torch - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Torch youll need, 3 Jan. 2013
I bought this little gem about a year ago and for £11. Ive just came on to buy another and notice the price has almost doubled. Not sure I want to pay £20 for a torch, but this thing takes some beating. Very small, tough and compact; the battery lasts ages, the beam is amazing and it really is the only torch you'll ever need. From walking in unlit areas, woodland and dark gardens, to a general home utility tool, it is an essential piece of equipment and even at the current price its well worth the cost.

Snow White and the Huntsman [DVD] [2012]
Snow White and the Huntsman [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed the Target!, 6 Oct. 2012
This film is visually stunning and for that reason its worth watching. Must admit though I found it boring and lacking the fairy-tale element until the array of superb British actors entered the story. The original tale is based on loves first kiss, yet the film totally misses with the vital scene; they couldn't have got it more wrong! Battle scenes are limp and cheap, special effects are good. Plus points are the dwarfs, Toby Jones, Ray Winstone, Bob Hoskins, Ian McShane et al. Minus points....too many to list!

The Lovely Bones [DVD]
The Lovely Bones [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mark Wahlberg
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Film goes where books can only imagine, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Lovely Bones [DVD] (DVD)
Ive read the book, which spurred me onto to watching the film. The minds eye created via the book pages didn't give the visual wonder of the film and for that reason, I thought it was superb. I imagined the neighbourly killer to someone totally different from the chilling portrayal given here. The visual splendour of the afterlife could not possibly be recreated in a book and so for once Id say film vs book, film wins!
This is a totally believable story. You feel the happiness, the loving unity of the family and then you feel their pain and loss. You feel the terror that Saorise Ronan experiences in the moments before her death and you shiver at the creepy Stanley Tucci. Humour during pain is brought about by the alcoholic grandmother and everything fits as if you are watching reality.

The 'inbetween' of heaven and earth is something the film captures wonderfully. We all hope its real! This is a must see film. If their is a criticsm, then its the ending, that in my opinion,leaves you a little empty.

The Devil Inside [DVD]
The Devil Inside [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fernanda Andrade
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Great trailer!, 2 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Devil Inside [DVD] (DVD)
Damn it! I hate it when this happens. I was lured into this by the trailer and sat expecting a white knuckle ride. The only ride I got was the bus home; and at 10.45pm from the City, it was more frightening than what Id just watched. Save your money! Totally disjointed, bumbling and utterly boring. Even the actors looked as bored as I felt.

The Thing (2011) [DVD]
The Thing (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A few Answers, 24 April 2012
This review is from: The Thing (2011) [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this thinking I was watching a remake and expected to be dissapointed! I was! That is until I realised it wasn't a remake, it was answering why the original film started how it did. The more you watch the more you say ahhh. Its well worth a viewing and is quite clever in covering all the mysteries of the first classic.

Insidious [DVD]
Insidious [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Wilson
Offered by MusicnMedia

3.0 out of 5 stars Jumpy, 20 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Insidious [DVD] (DVD)
Bit difficult to rate this one. Starts off slow, gets really good and very scary; then goes a bit silly and finally ends with a good twist. Could have been a real shocker had it not been for the ghost buster gang and projecting spheres etc. Still worth a night in with a pizza and lights off!

The Woman in Black [DVD]
The Woman in Black [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

4.0 out of 5 stars Original works best, 14 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Woman in Black [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this at the cinema last night and must admit that I went with the idea of comparing it to the original! A bit about the original first. I first saw it in the early 80's, it scared me witless and since then I bought the VHS and when DVD came along, I bought that! Since my first viewing, I must have watched it 5 times and read the book at least 3 times. It is one of my favourite ghost stories; very English and genuingly chilling. Onto this remake! Firstly, hats off to Daniel Radcliffe and good old Hammer. Superb acting (if not coming over as looking very young) and amazing sets, gloomy weather and gothic eel marsh house. Frightening and guarenteed to get you jumping; it is a story that goes up the same road as the original, but for a few exceptions and delivers an equally solid cast.

The downsides are too many ghosts, an absurd bit involving a motor car and rope on the marshes and a very poor ending! The original tv drama ending is like a punch in the stomach!This ending was always on the horizon and so predictable.The film relies totally on shock, where as the original plays out in a long foreboding dread!
I found the mystery of the story was non existent, compared to the TV version and also, the Woman in Black loses much of her impact, because there's ghosts all over the place.
For those not familiar with the tale, this is a ghost story, revamped by the brilliance of Hammer productions. For those of us brought up with classics such as the original and similar; The Signalman, Whistle and Ill Come to you etc then you'll likely nit pick as I felt myself doing.
Returning briefly to eel marsh house, the new version is so much scarier and typical of a haunted house, but the original building is just that much more believable.
Ive given this 4 stars, because I did like it. Daniel Radcliffe has took the opportinity to ditch Hogwarts and he proves himself to be a very good actor. However, once the dvd comes out, it won't be joining the original on my shelf! Ive seen it, enjoyed it and will leave it at that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2012 8:57 PM GMT

The Promise [DVD]
The Promise [DVD]
Dvd ~ Claire Foy

5.0 out of 5 stars Must see history lesson, 9 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Promise [DVD] (DVD)
One of the best tv dramas ever seen on TV. I was glued from beginning to end and believe me, thats something special for me! I usually can't stand TV, especially since the arrival of putrid talent shows, endless quiz programmes and the one braincell reality puke! I think the last time I spent my days wishing a programme would hurry up and start was the Saturday morning B/W series of Robinson Crusoe! Anyway, back to the promise. Watch it and you will not be dissapointed. An amazing story, full of drama, heartbreak and passion. Superbly acted by all and something that literally stayed in my head for weeks afterwards. Can't recommend this drama enough; it is absolutely brilliant!

A Foreign Field [DVD] [1993]
A Foreign Field [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Alec Guinness
Offered by g515tfl

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fail to be moved!, 9 Feb. 2012
This review is from: A Foreign Field [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
An excellent BBC drama that I first saw on TV and then bought the dvd the moment it came out. Lighthearted at first, but then very moving and raw. The touch at the end is fantastic and a lovely cut off point. Don't miss the opportunity to buy this, its as cheap as chips and will leave you feeling uplifted and filled with emotion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5