Profile for blackford gardener > Reviews

Content by blackford gardener

blackford gardener

Page: 1 | 2
Goodbye to All That (Penguin Modern Classics)
Goodbye to All That (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Robert Graves

4.0 out of 5 stars A true classic., 28 Aug 2014
One of the most sensitively written autobiographies I have read. Good and bad treated equally.

Il Postino: Los Angeles Opera Orchestra And Chorus (Gershon) [DVD] [2012]
Il Postino: Los Angeles Opera Orchestra And Chorus (Gershon) [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Brian Large

5.0 out of 5 stars A true story brought to life by music, 28 Aug 2014
This opera was unknown to me before and I needed to watch twice before I really appreciated it. Once I understood the story I could concentrate on the music and the whole came together beautifully. The rapport between Placido Domingo and Charles Castronovo was palpable and the great man's generosity to his younger, very talented, co-star was a joy to see. So many top flight singers think only of their own importance, but this was a true partnership.

Becoming Traviata [DVD]
Becoming Traviata [DVD]
Dvd ~ Philippe Béziat
Offered by DVD Vault UK

5.0 out of 5 stars How to create perfection., 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Becoming Traviata [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fascinating and educational insight behind the scenes of an opera production. The amount of hard work that goes into presenting performances that appear so natural and emotionally charged, at the same time as being gloriously sung was a complete revelation. My admiration for all those involved is boundless.

Verdi: La Traviata [DVD] [2012]
Verdi: La Traviata [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Natalie Dessay/Charles Castronovo/Ludovic Tezier/Louis Langree/Jean-Francois Sivadier

5.0 out of 5 stars Such passion!, 21 Aug 2013
This is such a different production of La Traviata from the one I have seen several times before and one really shares the anguish of the lovers. Charles Castronovo and Natalie Dessay made a perfect combination.

At the Water's Edge: A Personal Quest for Wildness
At the Water's Edge: A Personal Quest for Wildness
by John Lister-Kaye

4.0 out of 5 stars Wild simplicity, 4 July 2013
This is a delightful book, with descriptions of the natural environment of wild Scotland at all times of day and all seasons. Really makes one conscious of how modern life is destroying such things - and may ultimately destroy life itself.

I would have loved to have some photographs but, having said that, the word pictures drawn by the author more than make up for that.

Cuisipro Julienne Peeler
Cuisipro Julienne Peeler

5.0 out of 5 stars Grate(sic) product!, 4 July 2013
The Cuisipro julienne peeler feels great to handle and really does the job it is intended for. I'm giving them as presents, now.

An Angel At My Table: The Complete Autobiography
An Angel At My Table: The Complete Autobiography
by Janet Frame

5.0 out of 5 stars Parallel lives, 9 April 2013
This book mirrored the life of someone I know and I found it very moving. Beautifully written and very thought provoking.

Fulton Birdcage Clear Dome Pink Umbrella
Fulton Birdcage Clear Dome Pink Umbrella
Offered by Toys and Interiors

5.0 out of 5 stars By Royal Appointment, 9 April 2013
This is rather more for a royal appointment. I am quite sure it will rain when I go to the Garden Party at Buckingham Palace in June, and this umbrella exactly matches my outfit and is perfect for the occasion.

Lessons in Classical Drawing
Lessons in Classical Drawing
by Juliette Aristides

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 19 Dec 2012
This was a gift and my neighbour loves it. It has inspired him to try new techniques and ways of observing.

Box of 4 7x5 Deluxe Silver Plated Photo Frames
Box of 4 7x5 Deluxe Silver Plated Photo Frames

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain and simple, 19 Dec 2012
This was just what was needed and I would recommend to anyone who wants a multiple of elegant photo frames.

Page: 1 | 2