Profile for Dog in a Flat Cap > Reviews

Content by Dog in a Flat Cap

Dog in a Flat Cap (desktop, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Inaccessible Pinnacle [DVD]
The Inaccessible Pinnacle [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Best film ever... really!!!, 5 Dec. 2009
i love this film. I want more! Beautiful cinematography, so poetic, just wonderful... I don't speak Gaelic, by the way, and neither does my 12 year old son, who also enjoyed it. Fantastic family film, if only there were more like it.

A Different Life
A Different Life
Offered by zoverstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 5 Dec. 2009
This review is from: A Different Life (Audio CD)
Having seen her first on the recent series of Transatlantic Sessions I like Emily Smith's voice and so far have bought this album and 'Too Long Away'. I think Emily is still developing her style and at times, on this album at least, it sounds a bit unsure. As well as traditional songs Emily writes some of her own material and the quality of that material is far better on 'Too Long Away' - on this album her own melodies are far more simplistic and awkward than the traditional melodies she uses. There are moments too on this album when her beautiful voice lacks a bit of passion - it is technically perfect singing, but needs to inject a bit more spirit, which she does on 'Too Long Away' without compromising the essential clarity of her voice and the purity of style. I am yet o hear her new Robbie Burns album but look forward to hearing it, as despite my few misgivings about 'A Different life' it is still a joy to hear Emily Smith's voice, and I think she will get better and better. I would award this 3.5 stars if I could, but make no mistake that Smith is a 5 star talent and definitely one to watch.

The Medical Detective: John Snow, Cholera and the Mystery of the Broad Street Pump
by Sandra Hempel

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly engrossing and informative, 18 Nov. 2009
This was a very illuminating and intelligent read that manages to combine fascinating social history with the struggle of an individual to make himself heard, without either grandiloquising nor over-simplifying. I finished the book in a single (day-long) sitting, such was my attention held! What did strike me, even more than the achievements of John Snow, was how the medical and political establishment were so reluctant to make a decisive connection between choleraic effluent infecting the water supply, when it seems so staringly obvious. So in the end my abiding impression was not of the quiet genius of John Snow, but rather the blinding stupidity of all the other alleged 'experts'. But I think the author struck this balance rather effectively, and in fact John Snow was not glorified or made heroic by the narrative, but the whole thing rather carried itself as a quiet tragedy, with so many people needlessly dying because of the blind illogic of the establishment. Truly many lessons to be learned from this excellent book. Recommended to academics and laypeople alike for its accessible yet thorough style, with both footnotes and cliffhangers aplenty.

The Workhouse: The People - The Places - The Life Behind Doors
The Workhouse: The People - The Places - The Life Behind Doors
by Simon Fowler

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate and poorly composed, 17 Nov. 2009
I was very disappointed in this book which is by no-one's standards 'excellent' (as described in some other reviews here) nor even adequate. It seems to be largely composed of truisms and misapplied presumption, which in turn seems to betray a lack of empathy, understanding and genuine engagement on the part of the author. There is a great deal of 'wandering' within the text, when the author seems to ramble at length without focus and with a tendency to repetition. Considering the author writes under the auspices of The National Archives at Kew, it is remarkable how little case-study and archival material is used at the expense of vague generalisations and, too often, trite and unsympathetic observations about the plight of the individuals involved. If you are considering buying this book, I would recommend instead Norman Longmate's 'The Workhouse', which is similar in scope and accessibility but more carefully and engagingly written.

Martha Wainwright
Martha Wainwright
Offered by trec002

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite great, 13 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Martha Wainwright (Audio CD)
I quite like this album, and *love* the track 'These Flowers' which is absolutely sublime. The rest, for me, is a mixed bag, and leaves me feling somewhat dissatisfied. There is something about it, for me, which feels a bit self-indulgent, as if it's all about Martha Wainwright and doesn't really reach out to anyone else. I realise this is just my personal impression, and MW is still a million times more talented than the vast majority of singer-songwriters - it's just that I can't shake the feeling that there's more Martha than song on this album. I could listen to 'These Flowers' on an endless loop and I also like two of the bonus tracks - 'Whither Must I Wander' and the french track the name of which escapes me. Incidentally, these two songs are of course not written by Martha, so that might be relevant. BMFB is almost a novelty track, for its grauitous and repetitive cursing... it stops you in your tracks, but is ultimately not life-changing in its impact. And it sums up the feeling I get from this album, that MW is a little bound up in trying to present/market herself as a crazy, kooky woman, and the whole thing feels self-conscious as a result. My advice to Martha is: chill out, we know you're not like everyone else, stop trying so hard to prove it. :)

Uam
Uam

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful music, gets better with each listen, 13 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Uam (Audio CD)
this is the first cd of julie's that i've bought, having seen her on the recent series of Transatlantic Sessions, as well as catching her radio show on BBC Scotland (I don't live in Scotland, but listened via the net). i'm really a novice at scottish gaelic music, and don't speak gaelic, but i love it, and have made a point of listening to Radio Nan Gaidhael (again via the net) to try and get a sense of the music. Julie Fowlis's music has a timeless quality that transcends time, space and language - it's thoughtful and heartfelt - it's very real - and it's all about the music, rather than being about the singer. Julie duets with the older and well-respected Mary Smith on several of the songs, which is great to hear, and seems to indicate the sense of 'passing on songs' from one generation to the next. i really look forward to hearing her future offerings, and will aim to buy 'Dual' next. I should add that my friends and family (including my 60 year old mother and my 12 year old son), none of whom would ordinarily claim to like either folk or gaelic music, all prick up their ears when they hear this cd... so on that basis I think it comes heartily recommended!

Bodum 5500-129 Ibis Electric Cordless Kettle 1.7lL Pink
Bodum 5500-129 Ibis Electric Cordless Kettle 1.7lL Pink

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 3 Nov. 2009
I bought this kettle in blue about 18 months ago, after reading rave reviews on Amazon. I am now having to buy a new kettle. I was always disappointed with the plastic finish of the kettle, and in my opinion always seemed cheap and flimsy-looking. It was awkward to fit onto the base, and frequently I thought I'd swicthed the kettle on but hadn't because it wasn't properly fitted on the base. Within a short time the 'Bodum' insignia wore off in parts, making the kettle look much older than it was. The kettle has been deteriorating gradually since then, and now the lid leaks and seems to have buckled slightly from the heat. My previous kettle lasted 10 years, made by an apparently defunct British manufacturer, and I am very annoyed about having to buy another kettle before this one is even two years old. Very disappointing and has put me off Bodum as a brand.

S.E.W. Sew Everything Workshop
S.E.W. Sew Everything Workshop
by Diana Rupp
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars good book but not keen on patterns, 29 Sept. 2009
great little book, explains everything very clearly and with good humour... it's as if she's right there with you explaining everything as you go along. i just made the Unforgettable Elephant, it came out great! having said that i knock off one star for the patterns, just because i (personaly speaking) really don't like most of them, and it would have been better if there were more explanations for how to adapt the patterns to suit you, eg, neckline, skirt length, because there's no use learning how to make clothes you're never going to wear...! the author does write about a paragraph on how to create your own pattern, but i would have been very glad to see a workshop-type project where we are walked through the process of adapting one of her patterns or even making our own from scratch.

Wii Fit (Wii)
Wii Fit (Wii)
Offered by JSP online

5.0 out of 5 stars For my overweight and exercise-shy son, this is SUPERB, 5 Mar. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
Well, I have an 11 year-old son who is a bit overweight and hates exercise, mainly because he feels uncomfortable, embarassed etc by his lack of agility. At school he does all he can to avoid PE, feigning illness etc. This has been a real worry, and of course the lack of fitness becomes a vicious circle. Well, we have had Wii Fit for one day and he absolutely loves it, loves the newfound feelings of exhilaration he gets from the exercise, and is already developing a sense of his body and his muscles, his posture, his centre of gravity and so on. he has been hula-hooping, running, heading balls, and the great thing is that because he's playing just with the game itself, he doesn't get embarassed and discouraged if he doesn't do well at something, or isn't as fast as someone else. so i hope that this will build his physical confidence in a totally non-threatening and really FUN way... he really loves it. It's great. For serious exercisers, I'm not sure if Wii Fit would be enough, but for getting sluggish kids off the sofa it's absolutely fab-ul-ous.

Silly Sisters
Silly Sisters
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, timeless - a real find, 5 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Silly Sisters (Audio CD)
I love this. At the ripe old age of 34 I have only just discovered Steeleye Span, and although I'd heard of Maddy Prior had never previously heard her work - save for a cassette of Christmas songs my mum used to play in the 80s. This is a wonderful album, really a grower. The voices of Prior and Tabor work together so beautifully AND zestily - I mean there is real spirit to this music, as well as vocal excellence. Maddy's vocal slides never sounded better - well, at least in my auditory experience - and this doesn't sound like a studio recording, it's more like voices in space sung to the four winds...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8