Profile for Dog in a Flat Cap > Reviews

Content by Dog in a Flat Cap

Dog in a Flat Cap (desktop, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Skin Secrets: How to Have Naturally Healthy Beautiful Skin
Skin Secrets: How to Have Naturally Healthy Beautiful Skin
by Liz Earle

2.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely disappointing, 15 July 2011
Like another reviewer here, I too am disappointed on receiving this book. I have another book by Liz Earle ('Natural Beauty') and it's just a little paperback, choc-full of recipes and information, and it's absolutely great. I thought this would be similar but more in-depth, with really useful information that you would struggle to find elsewhere. Instead, it's a pretty book with lots of pictures but very little useful information, and hardly anything that you haven't read a thousand times before.

She frequnetly alludes to the amount of knowledge she has picked up along the way (and doubtlss she has it) but she doesn't actually share any of it in this book. She tells us about all the conferences she's been to about skin permeability, but divulges none of the content. Perhaps the publishers assumed this would be too in-depth for an average reader? It's just too brief; she goes through body care for specific parts of the body, eg bust, hands, but is scant with the information. For example, she tells us to use cold water to firm the breasts but that's pretty much all she says about it; other books I've read give detailed instructions on massage techniques, or using an ice cup to firm skin. I would have expected Liz to list all these methods and more, with the addition of some scientific or even just observational info to support the various claims as to efficacy. But she doesn't. There are a few pages dedicated to essential oils, but they're the most obvious candidates (lavender, tea tree etc) and the information is brief (while the pictures are very big!!). It's just so superficial - towards the end there is a page or two telling us to get a good night's sleep but, again, there's hardly anything else to it. I actually can't understand why there are so many good reviews here, as I feel really let down and a bit conned by this book as i KNOW Liz could have done so much better. Note that it's only around 170 pages, mostly largish print and probably half of those pages are pictures.

Buy this book if you know nothing about skincare or are lookign for a pretty gift book for a relative. DON'T buy this book if you are really hoping to find some skin secrets.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2013 2:50 PM GMT

A Spiritual Approach to Astrology: A Complete Textbook of Astrology
A Spiritual Approach to Astrology: A Complete Textbook of Astrology
by Myrna Lofthus

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 4 May 2011
This is an absolutely fantastic book, with such subtle insights. Really useful for anyone seeking an introduction to the karmic aspects of astrology, presented in an expansive 'cookbook' format. And despite the 'cookbook' format it is never reductive, but frequently illuminating. Recommended to astrologers old and new.

The Contemporary Astrologer's Handbook: An In-Depth Guide to Interpreting Your Horoscope (Astrology Now)
by Sue Tompkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped, 20 April 2011
I must admit I was a little disappointed when I received this book, since I already own numerous books on astrology and found very little here that was not covered elsewhere. For example, I have 'The Astrologer's Handbook' by Sakoian and Acker which, though much older is similar in scope and (in my opinion) much better. I also own a few books by Stephen Arroyo and Melanie Reinhart, which provide much greater detail on the outer planets and asteroids, and by comparison this book seemed superficial. The modern astrological information regarding nodes and asteroids was very brief and throughout the book i found I did not agree with many of the author's so-called 'cookbook' interpretations (although granted she urges caution when it comes to such 'cookbook' interpretations, but still the book is full of them). There were several occasions when the author touched on an interesting topic and then said 'but a discussion of that topic is beyond the scope of this book', and that - for me - was the problem: all the interesting bits were left out! having said that if you are a complete beginner to astrology then this will be a useful primer. It is easy to read and quite simplified, so if that's what you're looking for, then it's probably a good purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2014 10:52 AM GMT

Sky and Psyche: The Relationship Between Cosmos and Consciousness
Sky and Psyche: The Relationship Between Cosmos and Consciousness
by Nicholas Campion

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, 7 April 2011
I found this an illuminating read, introducing many themes relevant to the enduring relationship between we humans and our sky. It is at base a collection of conference papers, but written engagingly as well as with academic rigour. Essays include an examination of Chartres Cathedral, and how sunlight was 'factored in' to the architectural design to enhance the spiritual experience; there is much discussion of how sky is an integral part of many (if not all) religions and spiritual practices, and how beliefs and perceptions have changed, and the implications of such changes. The well known astrologers Liz Greene and Robert Hand have included essays, and while Greene's looks at medieval alchemical texts on the nature of Saturn (the old king), Hand's is an intriguing examination of mathematical formulae and the hypothetical dimensions of time and space. Other essays look at modern disenchantment, while still others examine religious statues and sky-worship in sub-Saharan Africa. A broad scope, but fascinating for anyone interested in such themes. Recommended for students of cosmology or other interested parties.

A Little Book on the Human Shadow
A Little Book on the Human Shadow
by Robert Bly

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Mar. 2011
While I respect the other positive reviews here, I felt I must add my own less positive review which may be of help to some potential buyers... I found the book too redolent of American self-help manuals, and rather inclined to triteness and truisms. For my British tastes it was overwhelmingly American in tone and scope, with frequent references to 'the American man'; at the same time I found the psychological content to be too 'pop', and at times gave the impression that the author was taking his cues from a nightclass in Jungian psychology. That said, I am sure this is a useful introduction to certain ideas which may be helpful to many, but for those requiring something with a little more in depth, you are advised to look elsewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2012 1:51 PM GMT

Ancient Formulae Amla Herbal Indian Hair Oil - 200ml
Ancient Formulae Amla Herbal Indian Hair Oil - 200ml
Offered by BeautySpires

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid stuff, 25 Feb. 2011
I bought this product online after hearing that amla was good for the hair. This stuff, however, is quite horrid. It is an oil that is artificially coloured green. The label describes it as a blend of amla, coconut and castor oil, but it has a very unpleasant scent that is a mixture of parrafin, chemicals and sickly perfume. Still, I decided to give it a go. I rubbed it into my scalp and hair as directed; it was okay, my scalp was slightly irritated in places but I'm not sure if that was due to the oil or was coincidental. The smell was very off-putting, however, and when I checked the ingredients (which I guess I should have done before putting it on my head) I found a great long list of chemicals as well as mineral oil, which does not absorb into hair but only sits on the hair shaft. So much for 'ancient formulae'! I washed the stuff off, but even after three washes with a strong shampoo the horrid smell was still in my hair. I will now make my own hair oil using powdered amla and pure coconut oil, and recommend anyone reading this to do the same!

The Bell Witch Hauntings (An Authenticated History of the Famous Bell Witch: A True Story)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, unexpectedly absorbing read, 16 Feb. 2011
This is a really good read comprising multiple testimonies pertaining to an alleged haunting that took place in the American South in the 19th century. The book comprises numerous first and second hand testimonies of the incidents, including a long account by Williams Bell, who was one of the sons of the afflicted family and claimed to have experienced the haunting first hand. There are also numerous second-hand accounts recorded by the next generation of those who had experienced the phenomena (bearing in mind the text of this book was written some years after the hauntings had ceased) and is more full of journalistic integrity than sensational. In fact, the reported events are sensational enough without needing any elaboration. There is also an interesting chapter on religious views of hauntings and supernatural phenomena, as well as some documentary records of legends that have arisen in connection with the Bell phenomena. The legends, which have entered into local folklore, are kept quite separate from the testimonies which are treated as seriously as any given in a court of law, and in fact this comparison is made frequently. I did find the frequent racist terminology to be very jarring and occasionally upsetting, even though this reflects the fact that the Bell hauntings did take place during slavery, and so slaves are frequently referred to in various testimonies by the full range of offensive terminology. Testimonies of slaves are also included, as well as witness testimonies as to the reliability of the various protagonists. As well as the information relating to the haunting, the book also provides a wonderful snapshot of a real community who, together, experienced something that was at the very least surreal. Altogether I read this book in as close to a single sitting as time would allow (and it is fairly long). It is extremely fascinating and absorbing and recommended to anyone with an interest in documented hauntings.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2011 11:28 AM GMT

The Hind Wheels of Bad Luck
The Hind Wheels of Bad Luck

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Unusual, 28 Jan. 2011
I first heard Cath and Phil Tyler a couple of years back on Radio 3's Late Junction, and was really engaged by their peculiar brand of Anglo-American folk music, which sounds raw, honest and original. Somehow they manage to make traditional music played on traditional instruments sound innovative and experimental, with vocals simultaneously soft and rough-edged. This album is more stripped down than their previous album Dumb Supper, and feels more intimate, real and even haunting, redolent of another time and place. In fact I prefer this album over Dumb Supper (which was itself a great album). Recommended.

Lumiere
Lumiere

5.0 out of 5 stars exquisite music, 24 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)
I saw Lumiere on BBC NI (courtesy of cable TV as I live in London) and was blown away by Pauline Scanlon's voice in particular. So I bought two of her solo CDs and this one, and all are absolutely fantastic. There really is a luminous and arresting quality to the songs and voices on this CD, which is really intelligently put together. The songs are a mixture of Irish and English language, and topics as various as disappointed love, a mother lamenting her son's abandonment of the church, and lullabies. There is a real sense of the storyteller about Pauline and Eilis's singing, and since my own copy has now been permanently borrowed by my mother, I am buying a second copy! Really beautiful music, exceptional and highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2010 9:57 PM GMT

Hush
Hush

5.0 out of 5 stars A Singing Storyteller, 16 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Hush (Audio CD)
Having seen Pauline Scanlon on Irish TV (although I live in London - the magic of cable TV) singing as part of the duo Lumiere I was blown away by her beautiful voice and sensitive interpretation of music - along with an obvious devotion to great melodies and meaningful lyrics. I immediately visited her Myspace and subsequently ordered this album, along with her earlier album Red Colour Sun and her recent release as Lumiere. So far Hush is my favourite, it's a wonderful collection of songs (including one of my favourite all time songs, Demon Lover, although Scanlon's is the only interpretation I've ever thought came close to capturing the essence of that particular song) and not only is her voice a delight to listen to, being both delicate and substantial, but her co-musicians put on a wonderful aural display of many instruments that altogether create a really intense and wonderful soundscape. In my opinion Scanlon deserves to be far better known than she is, and I far prefer her voice and choice of songs to some other more well known folk/celtic singers. However, if you know of Scanlon at all and already know what a great set of pipes she has, then I would recommend this album above her others, although all are good. It combines Irish folk with a very pleasing American country sound in many songs, touching at times on a folksy-bluesy element that really works because it is understated. Although as the back of the CD says it was proudced by Compass Records in Nashville, perhaps that's not surprising! She sings with real feeling and understanding of the music and its history, and really has the art of the storyteller in her delivery. A really great album in my opinion.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8