Profile for Salted Caramel > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
WMF Ultra Pressure Cooker, Stainless Steel, 3.0 Litre
WMF Ultra Pressure Cooker, Stainless Steel, 3.0 Litre

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it., 27 Aug. 2014
I've had this for about a year and a half now. Bought it on Amazon. Used at least 2-3 times a week.

PROs:

(1) It cooks fine under pressure.

(2) The little pressure valve that indicates the 2 tiers of pressure is a nifty visual aid.

(3) It raises holy hell if there's a risk of it going above a safe degree of pressure.

(4) I've forgotten it on the stove, had the liquid boil away, and it came out fine after its ordeal. More importantly, I did too! This thing is safe.

That's a decent lot of pros, and yet, I don't like it. The thing is, most of the pros are things one can expect from quality pressure cookers these days. They're the norm. It's the niggling cons that annoy me every single time I use it which break the deal for me.

CONs:

(1) Design Flaw Number 1 - It's a narrow, high type cooker. The base is quite small. This means you can't spread things out nicely to brown them evenly before you start cooking under pressure. You're forced to work in batches. This gets old very fast when you do it twice a week.

(2) Design Flaw Number 2 - It's a narrow, high type cooker. Why am I repeating this? Because a high flame over a small surface area causes scorching. Which means you're forced to keep the heat lower. Which also means it takes just that much longer to get up to pressure.

(3) Design Flaw Number 3 - The incredibly stubby handles. I have normal sized hands for a woman and find the handles way too short. Especially the handle for the bottom section. I just measured it and it's just a hair over 11cm long. The weight distribution is way off if you have to pick the pot up one-handed. Woe betide you if the pot is full of stuff. (Yes, I know there's a handle on the other side for balance, but sometimes you need to pick the darn thing up or move it or slide it from one burner to another with one hand!)

(4) The useless little timer - I wiped the timer clean between uses as recommended, and it was convenient while it lasted. Sad thing is, that wasn't long. I don't know if it was the proximity to the steam, or the fact that I live in a humid climate, but the timer conked out within a couple months.

Now, none of these are horrible flaws, as such. You can live with them, as I do. It's just they add up to, by Amazon's rating system, a 2 star product for me. An "I don't like it" product.

Oh well. It was pretty expensive so I'm going to be using it for a good long while.

OXO Good Grips Digital Thermometer
OXO Good Grips Digital Thermometer

2.0 out of 5 stars The readout part is pretty darn heavy so you have to hold it up, 29 July 2014
Summary: Too many minor design flaws that affect functionality add up to a substandard product.

Pros:
1) The readout is large and clear.
2) Temperature can be viewed in Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Cons:
1) It is top-heavy. The readout part is pretty darn heavy so you have to hold it up.
2) Changing batteries is a PAIN. The plastic housing is so soft that it got completely chewed up when we tried to take it off using a coin in the groove provided. And there is no other way to change batteries, so expect successively increasing struggles each time as the back gets more and more mangled.
3) It is not even remotely instant-read and takes 15-20 seconds of standing around holding it to give you a proper readout.

KitchenAid Artisan Blender, 1.5 Litre, Yellow
KitchenAid Artisan Blender, 1.5 Litre, Yellow

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardy and capable., 27 Nov. 2012
Note: This review has been written after 6 months of steady use. Overall, I am pleased with this blender. I own this blender in a black finish.

PROS:
(1) Hardy and powerful: Besides using it to make soups and such 'softer' items, I've also used it to pulverise ice, hard baking chocolate, hard cheeses and so on. It goes through everything like butter.

(2) Stable base: Because of how powerful this blender is, it needs a heavy base to keep it from vibrating all over your countertop. The base provided is heavy enough to fulfil this requirement.

(3) The glass jar: The blending jar is marked for measurements in ml, l, cups and oz. It is dishwasher safe.

(4) The seal between the cap and the glass jar: I have found it to be absolutely watertight so far, provided it is fixed right.

(5) Cord storage at the bottom: The base contains a little niche where extra bits of the wire can be tucked in to prevent them snaking over your countertop.

CONS:
(1) Heavy: The entire unit is heavy. If you don't have dedicated counterspace for it, you're going to be lifting it in and out of your cupboards. Be warned it's not light. I estimate it weighs between 3 and 5 kg.

(2) Pointless functions: Some speeds are fairly pointless in my experience. The chopping vegetable function, for instance. I've never been able to coax an even chop from it. What I've gotten the few times I've tried it is a partial chop and a partial puree. I guess I'll stick to my knife here.

(3) The glass jar: You will need a small-headed spatula to get the last few remnants of food matter out after blneding something. I invariably have to go digging in with my hand to sweep stuff out as well. No major problems, just not as easy as in my previous blender.

All in all, I'm satisfied. It meets my requirements and does everything I need it to do at little inconvenience to me.

Lamberts FLORISENE® - 90 Tablets
Lamberts FLORISENE® - 90 Tablets
Offered by Healthy U

2.0 out of 5 stars 90 tablets won't last you very long. And other technical details., 24 Oct. 2012
Update 1: 5 months in, I'm afraid I haven't noticed any reduction in shedding as claimed. May just be my stubborn head, who knows, but it doesn't work for me. Downgrading from average to below average rating. One more month for the final rating.

------
Note: I've given Florisene an average rating at the moment and will revise it after the 6 months required for it to take effect.

(1) Please note that the recommended daily dosage is THREE tablets daily (on an empty stomach) for SIX months, after which it becomes a maintenance dosage of 1-2 tablets per day. So 90 tablets is just one month's worth of supplements.

(2) The box states you are likely to notice reduced shedding after 3-4 months of regular intake and full effects after 6 months. So patience is apparently the key. (Isn't it always?)

(3) In case you take other nutritional supplements, and want to ensure you're not overdoing a particular vitamin/mineral, here's what these tablets do for you: ONE tablet contains 24mg Vitamin C (30% RDA), 3 micrograms Vitamin B12 (120% RDA), 24mg Iron (171% RDA), and 500mg L-Lysine (no data provided on RDA). ***Remember to multiply this by 3 for the actual dose, since you'll be taking 3 tabs a day for the first 6 months.*** (The tablets also contain some other filler, coatings, colours and whatnot, for which no dietary data is provided.)

Hope this helps.

Tefal Ideal 32 cm Crepe Pan
Tefal Ideal 32 cm Crepe Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Indian cooking., 23 Oct. 2012
I use this to make chapatis 3-4 times a week. I've also used it for makki rotis, appams, and pancakes. Everything came out perfectly.

Just a hint for chapatis - Don't let the Thermospot turn colour completely. If you do, the rotis will cook so fast, you may not have time to roll the next one out in time. You know what I mean, multi-taskers!

Tefal Jamie Oliver Hard Enamel Classic Series Non-stick Saute Pan with Lid, 24 cm - Black
Offered by BPSALESDIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Saute Pan - SUPERB for cooking Indian food., 23 Oct. 2012
Buy this pan!

Thanks to the thick and heavy bottom, the heat distribution is lovely and sauteing anything is a dream.

I've had it for about a month now and I use it 4-5 times a week, mainly for everyday Indian vegetarian food. Vegetables brown beautifully and cook much faster thanks to the large surface area. (Sorry, Indian chefs, our grandmum's kadai is not the optimal shape for most of what we make.)

I've also used it for the odd curry. You know, the ones that make you saute up onions, garlic and Patak's. Ferpection each time. Also chicken piccata. Gorgeously browned.

All in all, I love it. It was cheap (compared to similar saute pans in other lines), the enamel looks good, it comes with a transparent glass cover, and it cooks WELL.

Chinese Soup spoons white set of six
Chinese Soup spoons white set of six
Offered by Gifts Of The Orient Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple white ceramic spoons., 23 Oct. 2012
These are normal white soup spoons. They're dishwasher-safe as they're made entirely of ceramic. You could probably use them to serve amuse bouches as well. Quality is good.

I can't figure out what the little hole in the handle is for. I presume to allow any fluid that drips towards that end to seep out? Quite pointless, if so. Most soups are too viscous to drip through that little bitty hole.

Or maybe you could create artistic spoon-based decorations for Christmas by weaving silver wire through the holes. No one's going to look askance at your Soup-spoon Angels. I mean, look at what Damien Hirst gets away with.

Doesn't matter, though. Hole or no hole, these spoons are eminently spoonish.

Spoon.

Brand New High Quality After Market 77mm Lens Cap for DSLR Canon Cameras - This Lens cap is designed for Canon and made by third party (not original Canon lens cap).

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as pictured., 4 Sept. 2012
This lens cap fits 77mm filters and lenses. It clicks on perfectly on my B+W filter and on the lens itself. It also comes with a leash in case you're one of those folks who leaves their lens caps lying around on random surfaces and then has to go hunting for them. (I know I am!)

I don't like the normal Canon lens caps which snap-on at the edges because it's a pain to use them with lens hoods. This item, though, is a centre snap which makes things much more convenient.

The spring action is fairly responsive on Day 1. I'll update this in a few months in case the quality deteriorates. As of now, though, it's perfectly fine.

The overall finishing is good. There are some really, really minuscule signs that this is an aftermarket product but they are (a) all cosmetic, and (b) nothing you'd notice unless you were actively searching for them.

Overall, this would have been a 5 star except I'm dinging it 1 star for being overpriced.

JJC Pop-Up Flash Diffuser (White) for Canon EOS 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 650D, 1000D, 1100D

2.0 out of 5 stars Not effective., 17 July 2012
I tested this diffuser by taking flash photos with it of the same object in various light setups, all the way from bright light to near darkness. I repeated this test a few times using a different background as well. Despite how cheap it is, I feel this diffuser is close to useless.

PROS:

(1) You will get some marginal diffusion if you attach the setup perfectly.

(2) It's a very cheap bit of kit.

CONS:

(1) I replicated the same degree of diffusion with an unfolded tissue. It's that marginal! The white diffuser bit is unfortunately a bit too translucent.

(2) The black attachment arms are pretty flimsy.

(3) If you don't angle the screen perfectly and your background is a monochrome surface, you might notice a slight shadow from the screen. It's NOT a jarring or overt shadow, mind you, but it is a shadow where there should be none. Again, only if you don't angle the screen perfectly.

(4) Attaching it is a bit fiddly on the 550D because it doesn't always allow the flash to fire. This sounds like a big deal but I easily fixed it by jiggling the black arms a bit. Nonetheless, fiddly.

Overall, I found this diffuser quite useless and would NOT recommend it despite the low price. The amount of flash softening it offered was so extremely marginal across all the setups I experimented with that I really don't see the point of using it.

Wild and Wolf Mr. Messy Mug
Wild and Wolf Mr. Messy Mug

5.0 out of 5 stars Take note of the mug colour!, 1 Jun. 2012
This is a well-made, good quality Mr Men mug. Just as in the images, there's a picture of Mr Messy on one side and a bit of text about him on the other. Barring any accidents, I easily see this mug lasting us years.

The only thing to note is that the mug itself is not white. The base colour of the item I received was a pretty ugly shade of off-white/cream.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2012 4:02 PM GMT