Profile for David J. Grinnell > Reviews

Content by David J. Grinnell

David J. Grinnell (Cornwall, UK)

Sing Brother Sing
Sing Brother Sing

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful album. But...., 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: Sing Brother Sing (Audio CD)
I had this excellent album on vinyl and it's always been one of my favourites. But the LP has worn out, so I needed a new version and bought this CD.

The extra tracks are welcome and the sound quality is terrific. But the Edgar Broughton Band is a band for adults, not for kids. Always has been. So why do we need the CD version censored? So the album has a bit of swearing on it. I'm a grown-up person and I can handle it. I know it's only in a couple of places, but I do find the gaps in the music distracting.

If they were to release an uncensored version, I'd buy it again. The album itself is brilliant. The original version, with the extra tracks, would be even better.

It's Too Late To Stop Now: Live (2CD)
It's Too Late To Stop Now: Live (2CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best live album ever!, 27 July 2009
I saw this concert on TV. Indeed, I recorded it off the TV onto VHS, but I played it so much that the tape wore out. Hopefully, the DVD of this concert won't be too long in surfacing (it's already been too long!).

All those decades ago, yet the gig was so good that I can still remember so much of it - the tightness of the band, the enjoyment of playing that was so evident on the gorgeous cellist, Terry Adams' face, Van high-kicking during one song (Caravan?). I recall thinking that that band must be the best backing band that anyone has ever had - they were astonishing.

So when It's Too Late To Stop Now was released on LP, I went out and bought it. I then bought this 2CD set. I would happily pay out again for the DVD.

I can think of individual songs on other artists' live CDs which I would put at a similar level to this gig, but I can't think of a full Live CD that I've heard, by anyone, which is anywhere near this good (another reviewer thought that Tim Buckley's Dream Letter, which I've never heard, was better, so I'll have to check that out. If it's even close to being better than this, it must be worth hearing).

I'm reluctant to pick out my personal highlights on the CDs as it's all good, but Caravan blows me away every time - the drive that the band inject into the song is amazing.

Buy this 2CD live document of a unique talent at his peak, with one of the best bands I've ever heard backing him.

Yes: Symphonic Live [DVD] [2008] [2002]
Yes: Symphonic Live [DVD] [2008] [2002]
Dvd ~ Yes
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best concert DVDs that I've seen., 8 Jan 2009
I like Yes, but I'm not a huge fan, I liked The Yes Album through to Tales from Topographic Oceans, but they are nowhere near being my favourite band.

But I thought it would be nice to see them performing Close to the Edge, And You and I, and Ritual, especially with an orchestra, as Yes music and an orchestra just seemed like a combination that would work, so I bought the DVD.

I have to say that I can't recall watching a more enjoyable concert DVD. I'm not going to go through a track by track review, as plenty of other reviewers have done that. Suffice to say that I haven't yet got into the couple of newer tracks on the DVD, but I've only watched it twice, so maybe they'll grow on me. But all of the older music is performed with fire and verve. Jon Anderson's voice is still excellent and Chris Squire's bass is still extraordinary. In a perfect world, they would have had Rick Wakeman on keyboards, but as they had the orchestra, maybe keyboards weren't as necessary as they usually are for the band.

Talking of the orchestra - they are wonderful. They add to the music with their playing and they add to the concert itself by their obvious enjoyment of the band's music. And they come out to dance on stage at the end.

I expected the DVD to be good, having read a lot of the reviews here, but I didn't expect it to be this good. I honestly can't get over how much fun this DVD is, along with all the dazzling musicianship. I'm going to be watching this DVD more often than my wife, who is not a Yes fan, would like me to! Buy it, if you like the classic era Yes.