Profile for S. Swaine > Reviews

Content by S. Swaine

S. Swaine "Ammonite" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
LE® Adjustable Focus CREE LED Flashlight, Super Bright, Batteries Included
LE® Adjustable Focus CREE LED Flashlight, Super Bright, Batteries Included
Offered by Neon Mart

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic little torch, 5 Jan. 2016
Fantastic little torch, just what I needed and worthy of all the praise of other customers. The zoom facility is a real bonus as on narrow beam the light travels quite a distance i.e. easily across the field at the back of my house circa 100 yards.

I Heard Lenin Laugh
I Heard Lenin Laugh
by Martin Sixsmith

5.0 out of 5 stars I suspect it is even better as an audio book, 28 Nov. 2015
This review is from: I Heard Lenin Laugh (Paperback)
I took this out of the library as an audio book and found it a breath of fresh air. I suspect it is even better as an audio book, skilfully read in a Russian accent by an actor. A very funny book without being vulgar or preaching a politically correct agenda, as so many modern humorous books feel the need to do. Sixsmith manages to portray the grim reality of life in communist Russia whilstat the same time being funny, and his description of the Russians' paranoia when they come to the evil capitalist England had tears rolling down my face.

Best Kept Secret: 3 (The Clifton Chronicles)
Best Kept Secret: 3 (The Clifton Chronicles)
by Jeffrey Archer

5.0 out of 5 stars As compelling as ever., 24 Mar. 2015
I only discovered Jeffrey Archer when I picked up and audiobook (I listen to books while doing housework etc, rather than read) of his for 50p at a village fete. I'd been put off taking out an Archer audiobook from the library, by damning comments on tv at various times e.g. 'like a dreadful Jeffrey Archer novel' which I now put down to professional jealousy or political prejudice. Archer is a skilled storyteller who clearly understands the 'make them laugh, make them cry - make them wait' ethos of a good story. I don't over analyse books but define a good book as one I'm listening to in the house when I should be out in the garden, or into the early hours instead of going to sleep. So far every Archer book has come into that category and I'm enjoying this third Clifton saga book as much as the first two.

Tenore
Tenore

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Tenore (Audio CD)
After thoroughly enjoying Jonathan and Charlotte's first album "Together", I felt the duos on the second album "Perhaps Love" didn't work so well and I ended up listening only to Jonathan's three solos (and sometimes one of Charlotte's) particularly enjoying it when he belts out the big notes. Consequently I was very much looking forward to this solo album (especially as it contains many personal favourites) but even I wasn't prepared for the power of Jonathan's voice at the end of "Torna a Sorrento", particularly following immediately after the light-as-a-feather start to the preceding track "La donne e mobile". To use a popular cliché, I was blown away! I really like this style which has been dubbed Classical Crossover, it might not suit some classical purists, but for me, and clearly many others, it works. A fabulous album. Congratulations Jonathan.

The White Queen (COUSINS' WAR)
The White Queen (COUSINS' WAR)
by Philippa Gregory

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected - too melodramatic, 9 April 2014
I wish I'd taken note of the one and two star ratings before taking this out of the library as I've just given up on this three quarters of the way through. After struggling to stay with it in the second half, it got to the point (I listened to it as an audio book) where I thought "If she says 'my boy'/'he is my boy' once more I'll scream. She did, but I stayed silent and decided to abandon the book. I've listened to some great historical novels, but this is not one of them, far too melodramatic.

The Captive Queen
The Captive Queen
by Alison Weir

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome sufeit of sex, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Captive Queen (Paperback)
I normally really enjoy factional historical novels, but I quickly wearied of the sex scenes seemingly every other paragraph and abandoned the book after a few chapters. There are many far, far better historical novels.

Mast Digital  20 m Fully Assembled Satellite Cable Extension Kit with F-Connector Connections - Black
Mast Digital 20 m Fully Assembled Satellite Cable Extension Kit with F-Connector Connections - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 8 Nov. 2013
Arrived quickly and works, 'nuff said but apparently Amazon says I have to write fourteen more words. It's a cable, not a work of art, all that is required is that it arrives, preferably quickly, and works, which it did

Perhaps Love
Perhaps Love
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Pluses and minuses, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Perhaps Love (Audio CD)
There are definite pluses and minuses with this, Jonathan and Charlotte's second album. It is clear that the production company have heeded the several criticisms levelled at the first album, that Jonathan's voice was swamped by an over-loud orchestra. They have also bowed to requests for solo songs from Jonathan, which means Charlotte also gets solos. However, for me, the choice of songs for the duets is rather strange. Already I'm skipping three of these as I find them dreary and unoriginal, a waste of both artists' incredible voices. The rest are fine (though still not as much to my taste as those on 'Together') and Christmas songs I only want to listen to at Christmas. This is very disappointing after the powerful and uplifting duets on 'Together', all of which I loved.

For me, what carries this album are Jonathan's three solo's and Charlotte's solo 'Wishing you were somehow here again', all of which are just stupendous. Hearing Jonathan do what Jonathan does best, without sounding like he's fighting a losing battle with the orchestra makes it an album worth buying - but it also makes me want an album just of Jonathan singing similar classics - unless the company can come up with good powerful duets the equal of those on the first album 'Together', which personally, I prefer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2013 6:44 PM BST

1 X Dual Action Knee Support Patella Tendon Brace Strap Belt Sports Pain Relief
1 X Dual Action Knee Support Patella Tendon Brace Strap Belt Sports Pain Relief
Offered by Supports Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 8 Oct. 2013
I bought this because of the several glowing reviews (which I now am at a loss to understand). I was disappointed when it arrived, it's just an X shaped piece of neoprene with a hole in and Velcro to fasten which, if you don't have bulging muscles, leaves a few inches flapping about awkwardly and uncomfortably when fastened. Also, I couldn't say that I felt particularly supported, except when pulled tight and then it was very uncomfortable, with edges digging in. I took the view 'Oh, well, you get what you pay for' and wished I'd spent more and bought a more substantial support. Then, yesterday, in their specials, Lidl had a knee brace for £7.99 - what a difference! Lidl's comes in different sizes, no fastenings as it's elasticated and slides on like a sock. You measure above and below the knee to get the right size, there's a reinforced area around the patella and a corset-type flexible 'bone' down each side for tendon support, and it carries the 'CE' mark. For the extra 50p it cost it is a VASTLY superior product. I was really shocked by the difference. I feel fully supported and it's and very comfortable, which this cheap one wasn't. If you can't get hold of Lidl's, spend the extra money for a good one here, don't waste your money on this product which I now regard as a cheap and nasty rip-off.

Double Cross
Double Cross
by Patrick Woodrow
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A word of caution about reviews, 29 Sept. 2013
One of the greatest benefits of online shopping are customer reviews (as long as they're not just a few effusive comments that could have been written by company employees!). I have been saved from many a bad purchase of e.g. electrical goods, by consistent but constructive bad reviews. However, where it is a matter of taste, rather than function, it must be taken into account that anyone can write a review. I was so alarmed by one person's one-star review of this book, a review which is more of a rant than a review, that for the first time ever I looked into the author and the other reviews written by him. From seeing the sort of material to which this reviewer awards five stars, I concluded that his tastes are so diametrically opposed to mine that I should dismiss his negative review entirely and not let it influence me. I suggest others also look into negative reviews and decide whether the person posting the negative review is someone whose opinion they might respect.
I'm a fan of Clive Cussler and thought 'Double Cross' to be in the same vein. I've yet to find a book that starts badly and gets better (I've struggled to stick with books in the past but always to no avail) and though I'm not far into this book (audio version) yet, it has me gripped.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3