Profile for S. Swaine > Reviews

Content by S. Swaine

S. Swaine "Ammonite" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The White Queen (Cousins War 1)
The White Queen (Cousins War 1)
by Philippa Gregory
Price: 3.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected - too melodramatic, 9 April 2014
I wish I'd taken note of the one and two star ratings before taking this out of the library as I've just given up on this three quarters of the way through. After struggling to stay with it in the second half, it got to the point (I listened to it as an audio book) where I thought "If she says 'my boy'/'he is my boy' once more I'll scream. She did, but I stayed silent and decided to abandon the book. I've listened to some great historical novels, but this is not one of them, far too melodramatic.

The Captive Queen
The Captive Queen
by Alison Weir
Price: 5.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiresome sufeit of sex, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Captive Queen (Paperback)
I normally really enjoy factional historical novels, but I quickly wearied of the sex scenes seemingly every other paragraph and abandoned the book after a few chapters. There are many far, far better historical novels.

Satellite Cable , 20m Single Sky Cable Extension Kit In Black , For Relocating Your SKY Box , Freesat Or Alternative Receiver To Another Location , Kit Comes With 20m Aerial / Satellite Coax , 20 x 7mm Black Cable Clips , 2 x Pre-fitted F-connectors And 1 X F-connector Coupler
Offered by MAST DIGITAL
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 8 Nov 2013
Arrived quickly and works, 'nuff said but apparently Amazon says I have to write fourteen more words. It's a cable, not a work of art, all that is required is that it arrives, preferably quickly, and works, which it did

Perhaps Love
Perhaps Love
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Pluses and minuses, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: Perhaps Love (Audio CD)
There are definite pluses and minuses with this, Jonathan and Charlotte's second album. It is clear that the production company have heeded the several criticisms levelled at the first album, that Jonathan's voice was swamped by an over-loud orchestra. They have also bowed to requests for solo songs from Jonathan, which means Charlotte also gets solos. However, for me, the choice of songs for the duets is rather strange. Already I'm skipping three of these as I find them dreary and unoriginal, a waste of both artists' incredible voices. The rest are fine (though still not as much to my taste as those on 'Together') and Christmas songs I only want to listen to at Christmas. This is very disappointing after the powerful and uplifting duets on 'Together', all of which I loved.

For me, what carries this album are Jonathan's three solo's and Charlotte's solo 'Wishing you were somehow here again', all of which are just stupendous. Hearing Jonathan do what Jonathan does best, without sounding like he's fighting a losing battle with the orchestra makes it an album worth buying - but it also makes me want an album just of Jonathan singing similar classics - unless the company can come up with good powerful duets the equal of those on the first album 'Together', which personally, I prefer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2013 6:44 PM BST

1 X Dual Action Knee Support Patella Tendon Brace Strap Belt Sports Pain Relief
1 X Dual Action Knee Support Patella Tendon Brace Strap Belt Sports Pain Relief
Offered by Supports Direct
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 8 Oct 2013
I bought this because of the several glowing reviews (which I now am at a loss to understand). I was disappointed when it arrived, it's just an X shaped piece of neoprene with a hole in and Velcro to fasten which, if you don't have bulging muscles, leaves a few inches flapping about awkwardly and uncomfortably when fastened. Also, I couldn't say that I felt particularly supported, except when pulled tight and then it was very uncomfortable, with edges digging in. I took the view 'Oh, well, you get what you pay for' and wished I'd spent more and bought a more substantial support. Then, yesterday, in their specials, Lidl had a knee brace for 7.99 - what a difference! Lidl's comes in different sizes, no fastenings as it's elasticated and slides on like a sock. You measure above and below the knee to get the right size, there's a reinforced area around the patella and a corset-type flexible 'bone' down each side for tendon support, and it carries the 'CE' mark. For the extra 50p it cost it is a VASTLY superior product. I was really shocked by the difference. I feel fully supported and it's and very comfortable, which this cheap one wasn't. If you can't get hold of Lidl's, spend the extra money for a good one here, don't waste your money on this product which I now regard as a cheap and nasty rip-off.

Double Cross
Double Cross
by Patrick Woodrow
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 8.37

5.0 out of 5 stars A word of caution about reviews, 29 Sep 2013
One of the greatest benefits of online shopping are customer reviews (as long as they're not just a few effusive comments that could have been written by company employees!). I have been saved from many a bad purchase of e.g. electrical goods, by consistent but constructive bad reviews. However, where it is a matter of taste, rather than function, it must be taken into account that anyone can write a review. I was so alarmed by one person's one-star review of this book, a review which is more of a rant than a review, that for the first time ever I looked into the author and the other reviews written by him. From seeing the sort of material to which this reviewer awards five stars, I concluded that his tastes are so diametrically opposed to mine that I should dismiss his negative review entirely and not let it influence me. I suggest others also look into negative reviews and decide whether the person posting the negative review is someone whose opinion they might respect.
I'm a fan of Clive Cussler and thought 'Double Cross' to be in the same vein. I've yet to find a book that starts badly and gets better (I've struggled to stick with books in the past but always to no avail) and though I'm not far into this book (audio version) yet, it has me gripped.

The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles)
The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles)
by Jeffrey Archer
Price: 3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Did it keep me wanting more? - Yes, 16 Sep 2013
I listen to audio books rather than read them, and I regard a book as good if it keeps me listening, and excellent if I start putting things off I should be doing to stay and find out what happens next. The few Jeffrey Archer books I've listened to come into the category of excellent (and I do give up on books that don't hold my interest).
I note some negative comments nit-pick small incorrect details, coincidences etc, I don't look for, or think about that sort of thing, I just want a really good yarn that holds my interest - Archer does that.

The Nostradamus Prophecies
The Nostradamus Prophecies
by Mario Reading
Price: 6.02

1.0 out of 5 stars If you like Dan Brown, avoid this!, 8 Sep 2013
Dan Brown's book's keep me awake when I should be going to sleep because I want to know what happens next. This I gave up on about a third of the way through, after struggling to stay interested. I got so bored and irritated with it, that I wasn't even curious to find out what happened in the end (I got it out of the library as an audio book). Mostly, what killed it for me was the seemingly endless, virtually every other paragraph, explanation of gypsy culture or words. If this was meant to show gypsies in a better light it failed spectacularly, they came across as stuck in the dark ages and misogynistic in the extreme. I would agree with those who say this is formula fiction, it's an attempt to copy Dan Brown that fails spectacularly.

Together
Together
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars They've been let down, 22 Jun 2013
This review is from: Together (Audio CD)
I too felt the production and sound could be much better -some of the Youtube clips are superior in sound quality. The singing is faultless but too often it's almost drowned out by orchestra so that, as someone else has said, Jonathan sometimes sounds like he's in another room.
Also, like others, I would have liked some solo performances from Jonathan, but that's a personal preference.
I've given this three stars because Jonathan and Charlotte themselves deserve 5 stars, but the recording company only 1 star for swamping Jonathan's voice with the backing orchestra, so I compromised at 3.

Microsoft Windows 8 Standard 64 bit OEM, WN7-00403, English Version
Microsoft Windows 8 Standard 64 bit OEM, WN7-00403, English Version
Offered by Aqua Reefer
Price: 82.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible!, 26 April 2013
I needed to buy a new computer and it came with Windows 8. I use a desktop and have no interest in using anything else. I think most reviews here have covered what is wrong with Windows 8 and it's a comfort to know I'm not the only one that hates and detests it with a passion - and a month on and that hasn't changed. My old computer had Vista which suited my simple needs well. I shall be looking to uninstall Windows 8 and buy an earlier Windows package.

ONE MONTH LATER : I've tried, I really have, but I still hate it, particularly when trying to work on photographs. I don't want anything to do with Sky drive, but can't get rid of it or stop it constantly throwing me back to Sky drive, even though I managed to switch it off. I feel I've no option but to buy Windows 7, and get this wretched Windows 8 off my computer before I throw it out of the window. Microsoft need to understand that not everyone wants the share their every thought, word or picture on Facebook, Twitter, Skydrive etc etc. They should rename it Windows Marmite

Page: 1 | 2 | 3