Profile for T. R. Allen > Reviews

Content by T. R. Allen

T. R. Allen "Tempus Frangit" (Brighton, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
Offered by Cell World EU

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 9 Aug 2014
Doesn't work - I've tried it on multiple Windows PCs, a MacBookAir and a 27" Mac - does not work on any of them. The unit powers up okay but cannot read any disk I put in the unit. Rubbish - very disappointed. There are YouTube videos out there reporting the same issue.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 2:38 AM BST

The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden
The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden

5.0 out of 5 stars Like discovering a secret pleasure..., 17 Jun 2014
I picked up his previous book "The hundred year old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared" as an impulse buy on holiday. And I absolutely loved it. So getting this book was an obvious next choice. I was a bit concerned by some reviews saying it wasn't quite a good as his first, but I really enjoyed this one as well. Great holiday reading, but that's not to say it's just an easy read, it's also very clever. I recently watched the Wes Anderson film, "The Grand Budapest Hotel", and there's a flavour of that about the book. A great shaggy dog tale. Thoroughly recommended.

Transcend 1TB 2.5 inch USB 3.0 Military-Grade Shock Resistance Portable External Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value - very tough, 23 Feb 2014
I bought this for my son who was travelling around the world taking photos. He needed large HDD to store his photos, and it had to be tough to survive the trip. This fit the bill exactly - tough, spacious and incredibly cheap. Great buy.

LENOVO USB 2.0 Ethernet Adaptor
LENOVO USB 2.0 Ethernet Adaptor
Offered by Gasteiner Technologies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says it will do, 23 Feb 2014
Works perfectly - no complaints. If you need to connect your Lenovo laptop to a wired LAN then this one definitely works.

Morphsuit Masks Premium Alien
Morphsuit Masks Premium Alien

4.0 out of 5 stars If you want to shock people - go for it!, 23 Feb 2014
This is a great mask - I've managed to shock a few people with it so far, popping into a room when they weren't expecting an alien.

The mask is quite tight, but you need that for it to look right - a baggy one just wouldn't do it. However, this tightness meant that it was rubbing against my eyelashes a lot and so was a bit uncomfortable to wear for any length of time. That may be down to me having a very big head and long eyelashes of course!

I never tried drinking through it - can't imagine wearing it for long enough to warrant that test.

On The Map: Why the world looks the way it does
On The Map: Why the world looks the way it does

4.0 out of 5 stars Great writing, shame about the maps, 14 Jan 2014
I loved reading this book - a rollicking romp through the history of mapping. I read the paperback version and was a bit disappointed by the quality of the maps. Maybe the hardback is better? But in the paperback the maps are sometimes too small and I imagine they lose a lot by being in black and white rather than colour. However, the writing is entertaining, interesting and kept me absorbed. Recommended!

The Old Man and the Sea
The Old Man and the Sea

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classic - beautiful but sad story, 29 Jun 2013
I'm a 55 year old man and live by the sea - so my partner thought it would be amusing to buy me a T-Shirt with the book cover on the front. Great T-Shirt by the way, but I felt a bit of a fraud walking around with a literary T-Shirt showing a book I hadn't read. So - I bought the book, expecting it to be a bit of a bore but at least I could say I'd read it.

However, the story is lovely - very simple language, but somehow it sucks you into the story and you really care about the old man and his sad situation. I really enjoyed it.

The Horologicon
The Horologicon

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Horologicon (Kindle Edition)
If you liked the first book then this is more of the same - The Etymologicon was a set of fascinating wordy facts, each of which linked to the next one n the book in a way that kept my engrossed and wanting to read more. The Horologicon provides a new set of equally fascinating facts, but this time organised by the hours of the day. If I had to choose, I'd probably say that the first book is better than the first, but it's a close run thing.

A History of the World
A History of the World
by Andrew Marr

5.0 out of 5 stars So interesting, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: A History of the World (Hardcover)
I loved Andrew's history of Modern Britain, and so bought this book as well - very well written, kept my interest all the way through. I haven't seen the TV series, but just the book is enough. If you like history, or just want to get better acquainted with how we got where we are, then read this book.

LENOVO T52DEEU ThinkVision LT1421 (14 inch) LED Backlit LCD Monitor 400:1 200cd/m2 1368x768 8ms USB 2.0 (Black) - Europe
Offered by Vebox Direct Computing

5.0 out of 5 stars So useful - I can recommend these highly enough, 29 Jun 2013
I use this as a second monitor to my laptop at work. I often demonstrate software that requires multiple screens, so I've got two of these that means I can run a three screen demo (1 laptop screen, 2 Lenovos) - No extra power needed, ultra-portable. My three screen demo system now all fits in my small rucksack - perfect!

I haven't tried this on a Mac recently - it didn't work a few months ago when I bought it - the drivers for Mac OSX weren't available for Mountain Lion - that reminds me, I must check whether they've been released yet....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3