Profile for Fuficius Fango > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Selections from the Chopin Collection
Selections from the Chopin Collection
Offered by dischiniccoli

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, although you might not be able to use it for a mood setter, 22 May 2015
The other reviewer is right - there are loads of second-hand copies of this for 1p and they can't be beaten for value for money. The only problem is when a nocturne has put you in a mellow mood, you may not be happy for it to be followed by a grand polonaise, so I've forked out the necessaries for the 19-nocturne collection as well. This disc may be perfect for you or it may be false economy. Depends on you.

Shubb SP2 Steel Guitar
Shubb SP2 Steel Guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit, 15 May 2015
It's actually 79mm long, not 75, and it weighs 157g (so you can compare it with other makers who specify metric). Comfortable to hold.
Glass was nice, as the sound was clean, but heavy, solid, stainless steel is better, as the sound is solider and of course you don't have to press so hard, as the weight does some of that work for you. Also vibrato is better with a heavier slide. But they also do a longer, heavier RR2 model, so you might want to consider that one, if longer and heavier is better. The SP2 has a bullet-nosed end and a flat end. I find it more comfortable to play individual strings with the flat end, so the bullet end isn't any use to me. I think I'm right in saying that true bullet bars/slides are for pedal-steel players and these grooved bars are for lap steel, but I have no idea why. I've hinted at some ways it could be improved for me, but it would be mean to give it 4 stars.

Hal Leonard Guitar Method  Lap Steel Guitar Tab Book/Cd
Hal Leonard Guitar Method Lap Steel Guitar Tab Book/Cd
by Johnie Helms

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough material, 7 May 2015
A very feeble 3 stars. It's basically a quarter of the size it pretends to be, as it almost repeats the same material (a few scales and a few riffs) for G, D, E and A tunings. But these tunings are structurally pretty much identical, so the new material added in each new section is less than it pretends. There's nothing on the typical harmonies and chords used in the music that's played on this type of guitar and how to achieve them, apart from a very superficial look at bar tilting and the rather curious suggestion that you should give the illusion of a minor chord by leaving out the third! (rather than looking at the genuine minor chords you can get with many tunings). It offers no help in how to choose a tuning either. I have no idea why I haven't given this book 2 stars, probably because I've only skimmed it so far.

Poggii Facetiae: Latin Jokes
Poggii Facetiae: Latin Jokes
by Poggio Bracciolini

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value edition, 28 April 2015
(This is a review of the Arepo.biz edition, printed by Amazon.)
As the American reviewer says, this is real Latin (at least, the sort of Latin used by 15th century Italian intellectuals - Poggio Bracciolini 1380-1459, thanks to whom we have Lucretius' De Rerum Natura), no pictures, no English. It's not all jokes, it contains anecdotes and a few serious stories, e.g. of monsters and cannibals. Some of the jokes are easy to 'get', others difficult or impossible and others feeble. #143 is a poor version of Philogelos #45. It contains much criticism of Church, Medicine, Law and usury (with practically no antisemitism, interestingly), which you can use as primary material for mediaeval Italian mores and the Western Schism and (eventually) the Reformation. The social conventions of joking are slightly different from those nowadays - e.g. punchlines are often explained without apparently ruining the joke. But the most important thing to note about this edition is that it is excellent quality, with fewer than half a dozen printing errors, and those tiny (e.g. in 190 there's a conspexissent for conspexisset, and in 89 there's a psallendo for what must be saliendo, but this isn't even a printing error - I suppose it's a textual corruption which a critical text would eliminate). This is in contrast with other reprints which are done using optical character recognition software and which can be illegible.

Eccentricities Of A Blonde Haired Girl [DVD]
Eccentricities Of A Blonde Haired Girl [DVD]
Dvd ~ Manoel de Oliveira

2.0 out of 5 stars Short but not that sweet, 21 April 2015
This is 19th literature with 19th social values served straight up with no adaptation - a nephew can't get married without his uncle's permission, so he goes to the colonies to win his fortune. But set in modern Eurozone Portugal it just doesn't work, not even as comedy (it's not comedy, but some are claiming it is). The nephew narrates the story to a stranger on a train. The film ends with the train disappearing into the distance. Perhaps it is symbolic. Perhaps the film's anachronism is ironic. Perhaps some belly-laugh at it down at the NFT. I neither know nor care. Its saving graces are that the settings are attractive, Leonor Silveira is beautiful, and it is only 60 minutes lost from your life. It is strange how the nephew's accountancy office contains two antique typewriters. Perhaps the whole is a critique of Portugal for being old-fashioned?

Ethnomusicology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Ethnomusicology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Timothy Rice

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a book for people who are interested in anthropology, not for people who are interested in music!, 16 April 2015
I'm going to offer you a poor review as an antidote to the other reviews, which are very poor.
Because I found it so tedious I gave up on this book pretty early on (but it may be that I was pushed for time too, so I've given it three stars so as not to affect the average, which the rev had skewed anyway). Admitting that always attracts negative comments, but before commenting, you should read the other reviews and then tolerate me. I'll delete this when someone posts something better.

The point is: when an academic discovers a new phenomenon he/she writes about it. Then along comes someone else and writes about it and the first writer's reception of it. Then a third person and a fourth. Eventually you get a literature that is solely about the methodology of discussing the phenomenon, and the phenomenon itself gets ignored. Such is this book. But also it is about the academic discipline of ethnomusicology as a sub-discipline of anthropology, it is not about ethnic music. It is about the phenomenon of musicality not just from the performers' point of view, but also from the listeners'. In other words. the human being is a musical animal whether performing or consuming, and that is of anthropological interest.

If you are interested in ethnic music you should probably read Phillip V Bohlman's World Music A Very Short Introduction instead.

Ukulele Play Along Volume 2 Uke Classics Bk/Cd (Hal Leonard Ukulele Play-Along)
Ukulele Play Along Volume 2 Uke Classics Bk/Cd (Hal Leonard Ukulele Play-Along)
by VARIOUS

2.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate, 7 April 2015
Superficially this looks like original sheet music, and the original credits are given, but the arrangements of these jazz/tin-pan-alley standards are those of Chris Kringel, and they are only approximately right and just not good enough.You can find better on the internet free.

Teak Painted Didgeridoo
Teak Painted Didgeridoo

4.0 out of 5 stars Was bought a few years ago, and the market has changed since then, 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Teak Painted Didgeridoo
The thing that puzzles me about this didg is why so few people are finding the reviews helpful, when I see nothing wrong with them. So I'll try to expand on them. I bought mine a few years ago, and at the time I knew that the longer the didg, the better, but the longer ones were too expensive and this was best value for money. Nowadays the prices have come down a bit and the longer ones are more affordable, so perhaps 1.5m would be better (I haven't even looked at the 3m ones - you'll also need to think about portability). The longer the didg, the lower the pitch, but also the more numerous the overtones and the richer the sound (depending on your playing skill).

It's a nice bit of teak branch (authentic traditional didges are eucalyptus trunks that have been hollowed out by termites and are more expensive because rarer, but I doubt it matters much musically). The beeswax mouthpiece was poor, but the shape of the bare wood is right for me anyway, and although I bought some beeswax, I don't need it. So there's nothing to dislike about this particular didg unless you want longer. The only thing you might dislike is the painted pattern, which varies. Mine is OK - it's a multicoloured terrapin, but the one in the pic doesn't appeal as much, and there's one in the window of my local music shop that's mostly sky blue which I don't like. But the pattern is very well made using an authentic-looking pointillist technique

Savarez Alliance KF Concert / Soprano Composite Ukulele Strings
Savarez Alliance KF Concert / Soprano Composite Ukulele Strings
Offered by supermusic57

2.0 out of 5 stars No, these aren't really for me., 27 Mar. 2015
Currently, in general I am much less happy with Aquilas than I ever was. They can be a little fat, which on a reso can be satisfying to play when the tone doesn't matter so much, but the fat C string can be dull sounding, and guitarists have this problem with the G string too. But it doesn't just depend on the strings - it also depends on the instrument. I've got a Kala SMHS which quickly acquired Worth fluorocarbons, as it was the only way to achieve any brightness. And I have a Tangelwood Cove Creek concert with Aquilas and a Kala solid acacia top concert with these Savarez, and the Tangelwood is brighter (hence the two stars). That is probably the fault of the Kala, but I suspect it will get a set of Worth FCs too (I've just taken Aquilas off it). Furthermore, I've got an Oscar Schmidt tenor which was insanely lively with Aquilas and is now much better under control with d'Addario high tension guitar strings. You'll have to use trial and error and not believe what people tell you about strings!

No, it's more complicated than that - something that is important is the friction between string and finger. If you are a strummer, then high friction means good loud chunky strumming, and the Savarez are too smooth. My feelings about Savarez then are probably coherent, but the Aquila Nylguts are excellent for their high resistance, and I'm starting to wonder how much this contradicts what I said above. Fluorocarbon has more surface friction than the Savarez but must be a denser material than nylgut, as the strings are thinner. This seems to make FC mostly desirable to me (or rather to my choice of instrument), Savarez mostly undesirable, and Nylgut a bit of a curate's egg in the middle somewhere.

Gildersleeve's Latin Grammar
Gildersleeve's Latin Grammar
by B. L. Gildersleeve

3.0 out of 5 stars No, I want something better than this., 8 Mar. 2015
This book has a size that inspires confidence, but it needs to be much better organised.
Initially I bought it for a fuller explanation of sequence of tenses in oratio obliqua, but now that that's dealt with I find that my main need is for microscopic explanations of more fundamental things, e.g. the word 'plus' in Tacitus Annals 2.53.13. It's a neuter noun. That much comes from 10 seconds of perusing Kennedy, but try to find it in G&L and you'll be in trouble. I can never really use G&L without having to supplement it with either Kennedy, Moore (Comparative Greek and Latin Syntax) or Woodcock (A New Latin Syntax), so I really wish I could find something better. I'm close to giving it 2 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16