Profile for Tim Woods > Reviews

Content by Tim Woods

Tim Woods (Locks Heath, Southampton, UK)

True Detective: Season 1
True Detective: Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 9 Sept. 2014
I was blown away by this. Is this the moment that signals a shift in the balance of power from movie to film? It might just prove to be. This is one of the best pieces of entertainment I've seen in a while.

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

3.0 out of 5 stars a decent book just far too long, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
Some moments of brilliance, and a good core plot. But really is too long, could be cut down by half. And too many inconceivable plot twists for me.

Watchmen
Watchmen
by Alan Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a breathtaking piece of work, 12 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Watchmen (Paperback)
I don't read comics or graphic novels, in fact this was my first ever. I was curious to see what was so good about this highly regarded piece of work.

I have to say quite honestly, I was blown away by it. I didn't quite believe that a graphic novel would have the depth of character and story that this did, it gripped me from the start and I had to spend every available minute reading it till the end.

The story is layered so thickly, that you just get consumed by all this visual information, weaving plots, and brilliantly detailed characters. It's a long book, and the density of it's story is incredible, every single page packed to the edge with imagination and wit. I can't say a bad word about it, quite brilliant, and rightly stands on it's own two feet against any prose novel.

The only downside for me is that perhaps I've started reading graphic novels with the very best, and the only way is down now.

Oracular Spectacular
Oracular Spectacular

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the albums of the year, no question, 10 July 2008
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
I got this album after I saw their set at Glastonbury, which was outstanding. This music is seriously fresh and funky, I can't get enough of it. After a couple of listens you can't fail but to be hooked on the vibe. The best songs are Electric Feel; Kids; Time to Pretend; Weekend Wars; Of Moons, Birds and Monsters. But the whole album is just so stinking fresh. Get it, and go see them live.

Sennheiser PMX70 - Sportline Stereo Neckband Headphones
Sennheiser PMX70 - Sportline Stereo Neckband Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for running, 30 Jan. 2008
I run a lot outside and these headphones were exactly what I needed to plug in with my ipod nano and shuffle. I found the apple headphones dropped or moved from my ears all the time, these Sennheiser ones never move, and the sound quality seems good to me. They are also pretty tough and durable, and the bright green looks cool for outdoor running. Definitely recommend them.

50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know
50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know
by Russ Kick

3.0 out of 5 stars Hm, some interesting things, mostly boring though, 3 Aug. 2004
Out of the 50, about 3 or 5 things are actually worth knowing, the rest is just rubbish.
Maybe a good present for somebody, looks good from the cover, and flicking through it looks worth reading, but upon proper inspection it doesn't have much substance.
If you really want to know about things they are hiding from you, get Michael Moore's Stupid White Men, that will wake you up, and realise the madness with which our friends in the states are living under.

History of Western Philosophy
History of Western Philosophy
by Bertrand Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will stand the test of time, 3 Aug. 2004
I personally love Russell's style of writing, he is amusing, clear and concise. This book is probably the best book I've ever read, and I've read a lot of books. I study philosophy and time after time I find myself looking up chapters in this book to get a better understanding of philosophies or philosophers. Its enormous, and covers everything that is well known in the subject.
It is certainly not the right book for somebody to start with for learning philosophy though - its extremely tough going from that respect. Anybody wanting a good introduction would not do bad to look at Nigel Warburton's 'Philosophy - The Basics', or Simon Blackburn's 'Think'. Or, even better, start a course with the Open Univeristy, A211 is the best one to begin with.
I will always hold this book in high regard, its a seminal piece of work, and will always remain that way.

His Dark Materials Gift Set: "Northern Lights", "The Subtle Knife", "The Amber Spyglass"
by Philip Pullman

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest reads of my life, 25 Mar. 2004
I'd never even heard of this trilogy until the BBC's big read. Upon seeing it get to number 3 in the list, I soon rushed out to get the books. I must say, I'm not into childrens books or anything, I don't read Harry Potty. And at first I thought this was going to be a childish dream fantasy type thing, but I was seriously surprised, the depth of thought and interesting concepts was amazing. I loved all three books, and really couldn't put any of them down.
I wish I would have been forced to read them at school, they offer an enormous creative power, I think I would have been extremely inspired by them. Still, they can be read by anyone of any age. Truely brilliant.
I've read many great books, and will continue to read many more, but this trilogy really will stay in my handfull of finest books for the rest of my life. Genius.

P.U.L.S.E
P.U.L.S.E

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, a stunning live album..!, 23 Aug. 2001
This review is from: P.U.L.S.E (Audio CD)
amazing, what more can i say, this album has everything.. its perfect for chilling out,yet contains some explosive live performances.. its one of the best live albums i've ever heard.. even if you don't like pink floyd, this album will soon be a fav in your collection..

One From The Modern
One From The Modern
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars This band deserves a lot more credit, 16 Dec. 2000
This review is from: One From The Modern (Audio CD)
This album is of extreme quality. I admit it's not as good as their previous work, but songs like So Low and I am The News, are worth buying the album for alone. The Scene deserve a lot more appreciation than what they get, simply listen to BSide Seasides and Freerides to hear some of the finest music ever produced, they are truely one of the greatest bands around. Buy It..!!!