Profile for Ruth Burry > Reviews

Ruth Burry

Birkenstock Boston, Unisex-Adults' Clogs, Dark Brown/Brown, 5 UK
Birkenstock Boston, Unisex-Adults' Clogs, Dark Brown/Brown, 5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as I had hoped, 28 Dec. 2014
I had intended going to a shop to try a pair of Birkenstock Bostons on for size and fit, and certainly did not intend to chance it by just ordering some online. I wanted them for work where I spend a lot of time on my feet, and as I also have less than perfect posture/gait it makes sense to choose good shoes to support this, and Birkenstocks seemed to offer a good solution for both.
I was waiting for the best price I could find when a pair came up at a very good price. I followed the advice in the reviews and chose a size 38 (UK size 5-5.5) and was preparing myself to be disappointed; I normally fit a size 39 because of a high instep which makes shoe shopping a bit of a chore sometimes. They arrived quickly, the day before Christmas Eve, and it was like my feet cheered when I put them on - perfect fit, light and comfortable to move around in, and lo! less pronation as I did so.
I am very pleased with them. I don't expect them to be my last pair - I'll keep them going for as long as they can take it and then I'll want to replace them.

Robert Morley's Book of Bricks
Robert Morley's Book of Bricks
by Robert Morley

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased to replace my old copy which went to Oxfam ..., 26 Aug. 2014
Purchased to replace my old copy which went to Oxfam years ago. Will be read aloud to others (talking newspaper) for light relief so I hope it works.

Second Book of Bricks
Second Book of Bricks
by Robert Morley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the first Book of Bricks, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Second Book of Bricks (Hardcover)
Not quite as good as the first Book of Bricks. Purchased to read to others so they will be the best judges!

Ghost Stories
Ghost Stories

4.0 out of 5 stars It's growing on me, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
It is currently getting played to death in the car - good summer heatwave music for the M25. I don't count myself as a Coldplay fan although I have their two previous CDs (Rush of Blood to the Head, Mylo Xylito) because I like one or two tracks very much and the rest can be pretty much ambient noise for a long time until I realise the rest has become as likeable too. So I guess Ghost Stories will be the same; I enjoy one or two tracks a lot while the rest is likely to grow on me.

BOSCH, NEFF & SIEMENS Oven Bulb 300c 40W E14 SES, Original GE Lamp PLUS A Handy Custom Fit Glass Lens Removal Tool..
Offered by Aid Cleaning Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but very effective, 22 July 2014
I was sure I had changed an oven bulb in my NEFF oven before but removing the glass was impossible this time. I put up with a dark oven until after some searching I found this modest gadget and decided I had nothing to lose by trying it. I had already purchased a replacement oven bulb but it was useless if I couldn't get to it so I didn't really begrudge buying another ... if it all worked. I am delighted to say that it did, and although it felt more strenuous holding the device to the glass and turning it because of the angle I had to hold my arm, it did the job quickly and efficiently. The oven now lights up as it should and the plastic gizmo for removing/tightening the glass cover is in the cupboard ready for its next use. Yes it works, yes it is worth it. It arrived promptly and undamaged. I was satisfied.

The New Testament for Everyone
The New Testament for Everyone
by Tom Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Useful Addition, 23 Jun. 2013
It doesn't have much poetry about it's rendering of the familiar gospels and letters of the New Testament; if you want that stick to the King James version, the New English Bible or the NIV. It does, however, achieve Tom Wright's aim of making the texts real and contemporary, and therefore ore immediate and accessible. It serves as a very useful addition for Christians and the curious.

Cath Kidston Rose Hand Cream 75 ml
Cath Kidston Rose Hand Cream 75 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Sensitive Skin, 23 Jun. 2013
I had bought a tube of this as part of a Christmas gift for a family member who is ill with cancer. This purchase was a re-fill at her request: this review is really from her. The cream really is a first-rate product; it is pleasant to use, easily absorbed and smells delicious. Most importantly, for sensitive skin and those with intolerances, it has no nasties in and is much less likely to cause more problems than it seeks to fix.

Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: A Practical Alternative To Growing Old
Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: A Practical Alternative To Growing Old
by Deepak Chopra

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Uplifting, 23 Jun. 2013
This is the first book by Deepak Chopra I had read, and the first book discussing aging and alternative approach to the aging process. I had just read a friend's copy of this book and went ahead and ordered my own copy straight away. Both from my perspective as an alternative therapist (acupuncturist) and as a 52-year old, I found the ideas and information about how to enjoy better, happier, healthier elder years inspiring and uplifting, and since it was first published there has been more research in the issues he raises to support his thesis. Old age and aging are taboos in our society, sadly reflected in our approach to our elders and their care. Dr Chopra puts forward a number of suggestions for making the inevitable something good rather than something to be feared or resigned to, and sound practical guidance on how to alleviate the less attractive aspects of our later years. Attitude is everything - this book provides the means to change our attitudes and live longer and better.