Profile for Marvolio > Reviews

Content by Marvolio

Marvolio

HTC One X 32GB Sim Free Smartphone - White (discontinued by manufacturer)
HTC One X 32GB Sim Free Smartphone - White (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC One X: The Great Transition, 2 Oct 2012
My last phone was a solid, reliable, mid range Nokia 'candybar' that had a 2 week battery life. I loved its simplicity and worried a lot about whether I should get a smartphone. What about battery life? Would I use it much? Is it just another hyped consumer gadget? Well, my worries disappeared within the first week, but this review follows 6 months of daily use. This phone is, quite honestly, amazing. It is very solid in construction, the interface is smooth and fast while the battery life is actually gobsmackingly good, considering what this device is capable of doing. Yes, charge it when you go to bed, but it really is as simple as that. If you are unsure about getting a smartphone, then consider these questions: Do you like using a PC and the internet? Would you like this available ANY time you want? If the answer is yes to both questions,then a smartphone is the only way ahead. I know it sounds cheesy, but this phone has changed the way I live.

Other reviewers are better qualified to talk about the technical aspects of the phone. In terms of functionality, I can tell you it works and it hasn't skipped a beat in 6 months. As a semi-professional photographer I can tell you that the camera is truly impressive: extremely sharp and responsive. More important, for me, is the huge and beautfiful IPS screen that showcases my DSLR photography brilliantly. I use an Dell ultrasharp IPS monitor at home, and this phone's screen is just as good as that, if not better. It is a fantastic device for displaying photos.

I am delighted with my HTX One X and don't want to imagine life without it. Highly recommended.

Tiger sticky memo notes holder with index tab flags in leather like case
Tiger sticky memo notes holder with index tab flags in leather like case
Offered by Shopping Bazar

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure I read it in this book somewhere.., 12 May 2012
If, like me, you have the urge to scribble all over academic library books then this product is for you. Now excuse me while I enthuse about stationery.

Everything about this is well made: the storage case is solid and attractive, the paper the right weight, the adhesive is perfect (secure but peels away easily without damage) and there is actually a very large number of tabs so you don't have to be conservative in using them. There isn't much more I can say except that using this has seriously improved my essay preparation and cut down on that massive amount of time I used to spend thumbing through books trying to find a quote or idea I had read. I used the colours to correspond to Learning Outcomes I need to cover in in any given essay. The price was about £4 which was great value for such an essential study aid. If you are a student, I think you should..

How the Scots Invented the Modern World
How the Scots Invented the Modern World
by Arthur Herman

2.0 out of 5 stars Great White Scottish Man History, 19 Feb 2012
I have to start off by saying that I quite enjoyed reading this book. Mr Herman writes in a flowing and engaging style that brims with neat sketches of the Scottish people who had an influence on the creation of modernity in the UK and around the world. As someone who grew up in Scotland, it has helped me take a more rounded view of the act of union without diminishing my belief in an independent Scotland.

But do not expect critical analysis. Mr Herman sets up his premise but never actually examines it. He simply articulates a list of figures that, loosely speaking, 'invented' things as if this is proof enough. Mr Herman is known to follow the Great Man Theory approach to history and this book is a fine example of that. This is a very individualistic and simplistic approach that views history as the stuff of hero's and villains. His hero's are all male and because Modernity is Good, so they were Good. He goes to some lengths to try and convince the reader that the British Empire was a noble enterprise for the purpose of 'civilising' nations. I must say my jaw dropped when I read his approving reference to Kipling's White Man's burden. Just to remind folks of what this poem said, here is an extract:

"Take up the White Man's burden--

Send forth the best ye breed--

Go send your sons to exile

To serve your captives' need

To wait in heavy harness

On fluttered folk and wild--

Your new-caught, sullen peoples,

Half devil and half child"

So really my objections are political. In my view Mr Herman has written an anachronistic hymn to liberal capitalist imperialism while disregarding issues of race and gender. If that floats your boat, you'll love it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2014 1:49 AM BST

Shimano Speed MTB Two Sided Mechanism Pedals - Silver, 9/16-inch
Shimano Speed MTB Two Sided Mechanism Pedals - Silver, 9/16-inch

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for anyone going clipless for the first time., 21 May 2011
These were my first clipless pedals and I've been using these on my commuter roadbike for the last 1500 miles or so. No issues whatsoever. I was nervous at first about going clipless but I have to say these pedals make it easy. They come with the tension set at the halfway point so I immediately loosened the spring to the weakest setting and have never felt the need to change it. I have never unclipped when I didn't want to but have always been able to unclip the instant I need to. None of this falling over business that everyone warns you about! These are efficient, reliable and excellent value pedals. Buy 'em, I say.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2013 11:56 PM GMT

Amazon Kindle Keyboard Lighted Leather Cover, Burnt Orange (only fits Kindle Keyboard)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is so choice.., 18 May 2011
At this price buying this cover was not an easy decision. At almost 50% of the cost of the kindle it had to offer something VERY special. I think it delivers. It fits neatly, has a very high quality finish, the burnt orange is lively without being garish and the light is, for me, absolutely fantastic. I almost always read in low light conditions in the evenings and in bed. The light has struck just the right balance between being enough to read comfortably by (and I mean very comfortably) and not lighting up the room. I read for 1.5 hours in bed last night in the pitch dark without disturbing my wife or straining my eyes. I reckon you could get a similar experience with a cheaper cover and clip on and for maximum value I guess this would do. However I genuinely feel that this case and light transform the convenience and usability of the kindle.

In the words of Ferris Bueller: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."