Profile for Dalg > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes
Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes
by Alastair Humphreys

5.0 out of 5 stars Why don't you stop watching tv and go and do something less boring instead, 13 Aug 2014
(I may be showing my age with the title of this review, but it perfectly sums up this book)

My wife bought me this for my birthday last month, and not only has it got me thinking about picking up the couple of wee bits and bobs I still need to spend a night outdoors, but it's also got her thinking it would be a great idea.

This book is a great read, and there's tons of ideas to get you off your backside and away from the tv, and outside in the fresh air and countryside instead, where you can actually have a life, instead of vegging and watching documentaries of other people living a life.

Get this book, get inspired, get the incredibly small amount of kit you need, and get out.

Next step is to make a beer can stove. That looks cool :-D

M'Bem di Fora
M'Bem di Fora

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: M'Bem di Fora (Audio CD)
I kept hearing this in the hotel restaurant where we were staying in Cabo Verde. Lura is a Cabo Verdean singer and hearing her songs every morning at breakfast made me want to buy the CD. The music, in my opinion is typical of South American music with a hint of an African beat. Her voice is very strong, with a good range. The words to the songs are included in the CD but, even if you don't speak Portuguese her diction is so good that you can pick them up anyway. I love this CD so much that I will almost certainly buy some more of her CDs. I notice she's playing concerts in Portugal. Lura - if you happen to read this review I would like to know when you will be playing in Glasgow :)

Lancaster Moisture Enhancing Lipstick WM09
Lancaster Moisture Enhancing Lipstick WM09

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and long lasting, 4 May 2014
I have been using Lancaster lipsticks for years and they can be quite difficult to get a hold of so I was very relieved to find them available on Amazon. I would definitely consider buying them from this site in future as the delivery was prompt and the price good.

Raise Your Fist (Ltd.)
Raise Your Fist (Ltd.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Still got it, 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: Raise Your Fist (Ltd.) (Audio CD)
I used to love Doro when she was in Warlock, and I've picked up a some of the albums since Warlock became Warlock (feat Doro Pesch) and finally just Doro.
If you haven't heard her since the Warlock days, then you'll be pleased to know that she's still churning out some fantastic traditional metal, and this album is a fine addition to her catalogue.

Cheesey lyrics? Sure, but it's brilliantly done, and it's a really enjoyable listen. I was a bit wary of listening to the cover of Metallica's Nothing Else Matters, but it's a great version that grows with each listen. The combination of Doro's voice and the song's lyrics give me goosebumps.

The duo with Motorhead's lemmy, It Still Hurts, is a cracker of a ballad that should be listened to LOUD. In fact, crank up the volume and remember what real traditional metal is.

Halfhead
Halfhead
by Stuart MacBride

4.0 out of 5 stars Gory goodness, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Halfhead (Paperback)
There's a few negative reviews here regarding this book, and from reading them, I totally get it. They seem to be from people who are already fans of MacBride's work, which is crime fiction. Halfhead however, is SF. Violent and occasionally gory SF.

Underneath the SF trappings, this is essentially a crime/thriller, involving a convicted serial killer and a corporate conspiracy.

This really was one of the most enjoyable romps I've read this year. If you're a fan of the authors' crime fiction, and don't normally read sf, then I totally get why you wouldn't like this novel, but from an sf viewpoint, I loved it.

Give it a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised, but be aware, he pulls no punches when it comes to describing the violence and gore.

The Familiar (The Elect Book 1)
The Familiar (The Elect Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars good debut from Scottish writer, 31 Jan 2012
Sick of the glut of vampire romance that's clogging up the bookshelves? So was I, so it was refreshing to read a modern vampire story that wasn't of the "my boyfriend is a vampire, how cool is that" variety.

Set in Glasgow, Scotland, this is the tale of vampire politics, and they can be deadly. The story is good, and if you know Glasgow, then it's great as you can visualise the locations used in the book. That said, if you don't know Glasgow, then it won't detract any more than not knowing the geography of the Louisiana swamps, won't detract from the enjoyment of the Sooky Stackhouse books.

So, if you want a vampire tale without the slushy teen romance element, then give this a try. It's the writers debut novel, and I'd say it's a talent to watch out for.

The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
The Magicians' Guild: Book 1 of the Black Magician (Black Magician Trilogy)
by Trudi Canavan

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 6 Nov 2009
I picked this up second hand in a charity shop, and wasn't expecting much as I've never read anything by the author before, but I must say, so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'm only half way through it, so the rating is based on what I've read so far.

I don't get the 1 and 2 star reviews, because the setting is good, as are the characters and the setting. It's a fair paced story and doesn't drag like a lot of generic fantasy.

I'll definately be picking up the others in the trilogy.

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters
by Gordon Dahlquist

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but flawed, 5 Nov 2009
I really enjoyer this book, but I do understand where the detractors are coming from, especially with the recurring chase/fight scenes.
BUT, can I point out that this book was initially published as a limited run chapbook, with a chapter a month coming through the door. In this format it did indeed work very well, and if there hadn't been a fight/chase then that chapter could have been a pretty eventless read.
Have this in mind when (re)reading it. It WILL make all the difference.

The Cornelius Chronicles: "English Assassin" and "Condition of Muzak" Bk. 2
The Cornelius Chronicles: "English Assassin" and "Condition of Muzak" Bk. 2
by Michael Moorcock

5.0 out of 5 stars More Moorcock, 21 July 2009
I'm a big fan of Michael Moorcock. He was one of the first SF/Fantasy writers I got into, along with Asimov and Clarke. Unlike a lot of other writers who were writing at the same time (and like MM still are), Moorcocks books stand the test of time a lot better. Other writers stories from the same time, while still good, can come across as quaint, whereas Moorcock's multiverse is a universe spanning world which includes these Cornelius books, the Elric books and others.

This is another excellent entry in Moorcocks multiverse, and essential reading if you like like writing.

Why read a pale imitation when Moorcock is the genuine article, a living SF legend who's early work is as good today as it was when he wrote it.

Skullcandy Lowrider 3.5mm Stereo Headphones -Red /White
Skullcandy Lowrider 3.5mm Stereo Headphones -Red /White

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty 'phones, 3 Mar 2008
Picked up a pair of Lowriders, and I was quite surprised by how good they were. They're light, sound is good, I like a lot of bass, and I did have to turn on the bass boost on my Zen, but when I say the bass is a bit lacking, it doesn't mean the sound is tinny. The sound is actually very good, just if you want a lot of bass, you might want to use the bass boost on your player.

Overall, comfy, good sound, lightweight and very satisfactory.

Page: 1 | 2