Profile for Mr. D. J. Hill > Reviews

The Secret Place
The Secret Place
by Tana French

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised Me., 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Secret Place (Hardcover)
I am struggling to write this review. It's not my usual sort of book, and yet I absolutely and completely got sucked in to this book. It took me almost no time to read from finish to end (and it's a pretty long book), just because I couldn't put it down.

I don't do plot spoilers, so I'm not giving much away here in saying that the story revolves around two separate groups of girls and one pair of detectives. Told alternately from the point of view of one of the detectives and from the historical perspective of the girls, the story revolves around a previously unsolved murder. I must admit, sometimes the faux OMGteenspeaklikewhatever thing is a bit much, but I don't think it detracted from the reading in any particular way.

Summary: basically, excellent.

Tour de France: The Inside Story: Making the World's Greatest Bicycle Race
Tour de France: The Inside Story: Making the World's Greatest Bicycle Race

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, even if your not a fan of the event itself., 4 Aug 2014
Although a keen cyclist, I am not a fan of the Tour de France, I shall be honest. Imagine, then, my surprise on opening this book and finding it to be not only entertaining, but very easy reading (whilst managing to avoid the pitfall of patronising the reader). Filled with a huge number of little anecdotes and interesting facts, I can honestly say that it is definitely a worthwhile read even for those who do not enjoy watching a large number of lycra clad men bang about on the continent.

Stretching Your Boundaries: Flexibility Training for Extreme Calisthenic Strength

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the better flexibility texts, 12 April 2014
For the price, it's a pretty good deal and there's some interesting info inside. Currently, I cannot decide whether to give the book 3 or 4 stars, so I shall err on the lower end.
Good: Al writes in a very accessible style; there are some lovely images; an explanation of the functional usage of varying stretches is provided.
Not so Good: Discussion of the varying factors can be a bit brief; sometimes the comparative exercises are stretching the boundaries of tenuous linkage.
All in all, a pretty good text, although not up on a level with "raising the bar" and "pushing the limits".

Original Strength
Original Strength
by Tim Anderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting stuff, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Original Strength (Paperback)
Bit too much banging on about their point and their justification, but it seems to be doing a good job on me, so I'm happy!

The Dark Lord's Handbook
The Dark Lord's Handbook

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly hard to put down, 6 Jan 2014
The previous reviews offer up a very nice precis of the story, so I'll not bother. Nevertheless, I would definitely recommend this book; I enjoyed the rather po-mo approach to the genre cliches, as well as the accessibility of the writing style.

The Secrets of Kyusho: Pressure Point Fighting
The Secrets of Kyusho: Pressure Point Fighting
by Stefan Reinisch

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 26 Dec 2013
You probably know the points demonstrated in this (very nicely illustrated) book, but it's good to get the underlying science.

Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1)
Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars another good one, 7 Oct 2013
Always enjoy her writing, but nice to see her experimenting with a different kind of setting, although still with her own style laid over the top. Hoping there is a sequel on the cards.

The Uke of Wallington
The Uke of Wallington

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, worth a whirl., 6 Oct 2012
Good little book; amusing, well-written, entertaining, etc, etc. It ended a bit abruptly (some might say disappointingly), but I would definitely recommend it as a decent reading investment, whether you uke or not.

Sugong: The Life of a Shaolin Grandmaster
Sugong: The Life of a Shaolin Grandmaster
by Nick Hurst

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a bit too easy to read., 16 May 2012
Admittedly, I read a lot and I read very quickly. It is not uncommon for me to read a book in a day. That said, it has been a fair while since I found one that seemed so good that I was almost unable to put it down. This book is one of those and should I fail any of the exams I have recently taken, then I lay the blamely solely at the feet of Mr. Nick Hurst.

I am a martial artist (though much of my experience lies with the Japanese Arts), so perhaps it was likely I'd find something in it. However, when I recently went to visit a friend and left the book on the table at her place, in order to make some tea (yes, I'm the sort to take a book when visiting people), I found her several pages in and unwilling to stop. She is not a martial artist, but she has elicited a promise that I will allow her to borrow it. I can safely assume, then, that even for the non-practising population there is something to be found within the pages. Actually, that reminds me; the pages are really nice quality. I actually enjoyed the physical act of turning them (I say as a confirmed kindle user), plus the cover is nice too. I know those last points are slightly irrelevant, but...

Suncaller
Suncaller
by B. John Shaw Liddle

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Job, fella, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Suncaller (Paperback)
Well, I read it in a day. I enjoyed it to the detriment of all the little things I should've been doing, and now I'm trying to convince my wife that she should be reading it too.

I could say the same things as the reviewers before me (because they're correct), but they've all done a fine job of it, so read them for more info. I'm just going to recommend reading it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3