Profile for Mr. D. J. Hill > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Dark Lord's Handbook
The Dark Lord's Handbook

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly hard to put down, 6 Jan. 2014
The previous reviews offer up a very nice precis of the story, so I'll not bother. Nevertheless, I would definitely recommend this book; I enjoyed the rather po-mo approach to the genre cliches, as well as the accessibility of the writing style.

The Secrets of Kyusho: Pressure Point Fighting
The Secrets of Kyusho: Pressure Point Fighting
by Stefan Reinisch

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 26 Dec. 2013
You probably know the points demonstrated in this (very nicely illustrated) book, but it's good to get the underlying science.

Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1)
Torrent (Rust & Relics, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars another good one, 7 Oct. 2013
Always enjoy her writing, but nice to see her experimenting with a different kind of setting, although still with her own style laid over the top. Hoping there is a sequel on the cards.

The Uke of Wallington
The Uke of Wallington

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, worth a whirl., 6 Oct. 2012
Good little book; amusing, well-written, entertaining, etc, etc. It ended a bit abruptly (some might say disappointingly), but I would definitely recommend it as a decent reading investment, whether you uke or not.

Sugong: The Life of a Shaolin Grandmaster
Sugong: The Life of a Shaolin Grandmaster
by Nick Hurst

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a bit too easy to read., 16 May 2012
Admittedly, I read a lot and I read very quickly. It is not uncommon for me to read a book in a day. That said, it has been a fair while since I found one that seemed so good that I was almost unable to put it down. This book is one of those and should I fail any of the exams I have recently taken, then I lay the blamely solely at the feet of Mr. Nick Hurst.

I am a martial artist (though much of my experience lies with the Japanese Arts), so perhaps it was likely I'd find something in it. However, when I recently went to visit a friend and left the book on the table at her place, in order to make some tea (yes, I'm the sort to take a book when visiting people), I found her several pages in and unwilling to stop. She is not a martial artist, but she has elicited a promise that I will allow her to borrow it. I can safely assume, then, that even for the non-practising population there is something to be found within the pages. Actually, that reminds me; the pages are really nice quality. I actually enjoyed the physical act of turning them (I say as a confirmed kindle user), plus the cover is nice too. I know those last points are slightly irrelevant, but...

Suncaller
Suncaller
by B. John Shaw Liddle

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Job, fella, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Suncaller (Paperback)
Well, I read it in a day. I enjoyed it to the detriment of all the little things I should've been doing, and now I'm trying to convince my wife that she should be reading it too.

I could say the same things as the reviewers before me (because they're correct), but they've all done a fine job of it, so read them for more info. I'm just going to recommend reading it.

The Digital Wolf (The Hidden Academy Book 2)
The Digital Wolf (The Hidden Academy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced, 24 July 2011
I thought this book was superb. Having read the first one (which was really something very special) I was worried that there would be some sort of decline here, but really the form is top notch and the introduction of several new elements to the mythology really helped in enriching the setting for the series. Very good read.

The Unicorn Crisis (The Hidden Academy Book 1)
The Unicorn Crisis (The Hidden Academy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really rather good., 16 July 2011
I don't think that there's a huge amount I can say that hasn't already been mentioned by other reviewers; the book truly is one of the finest I've kindled this year. I should perhaps mention that the typos and proofreading mishaps mentioned by other reviewers seem to have been sorted out by and large. i found no more than 4 or 5 minor ones in the whole text. Now I'm in to the next book and just hoping that Mr Rosenberg continues with this writing malarky.

The Half-Orcs (Omnibus, Volume One)
The Half-Orcs (Omnibus, Volume One)

2.0 out of 5 stars I think I may have died a little inside, 23 Jun. 2011
Now I can't really say this book is awful, but it isn't good. Let's get down to it then: the previous reviewer mentioned a certain similarity to the Dragonlance twins, Caramon and Raistlin. This is an understatement: the half orcs are a blatant (and poor) rip-off of these characters, and once you get in to the second book, the poor quality rip-offs appear more and more (the upstanding knight of a fallen tradition, the grumpy dwarf, blah blah blah).

However, all of the ripping off of the dragonlance chronicles (which, by the way, you should read) is nothing compared to the truly cumbersome attempt at storytelling and the frequently cringe-inducing dialogue, often at ridiculously inappropriate times ("oh you're baby is dead, let me make some appalling joke and/or comment" may not be a direct quote, but is broadly indicative of the style). Now don't get me wrong, I kind of enjoyed the first book: it only took me two days to get through (which is twice as long as any other book usually takes me), but to get through the remaining two took me a month, solely because I so resented the time wasted reading it (and yet I still did read it. What's that all about?). In fact, the only reason I gave it 2 stars is because the first book was sort of ok and because I can't give 1.5 stars.

Honestly, don't bother with this and buy the Dragonlance Chronicles instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2012 12:28 PM BST

The Samurai Series: The Book of Five Rings, Hagakure - The Way of the Samurai & Bushido - The Soul of Japan (Illustrated) (Translated)

2.0 out of 5 stars Think this through, 1 April 2011
I feel compelled to tell you that you can buy these three books cheaper as separate kindle items on amazon. Furthermore, Bushido, The Soul of Japan is available for free via Project Gutenberg. Nevertheless, they are definitely three books worth reading for those interested in Japan and its traditions.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2012 11:02 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3