Profile for Michael > Reviews

Mommie Dearest [1981] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Faye Dunaway
Offered by e-katastima
Price: 18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated and accurate performance from Dunaway.., 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Mommie Dearest [1981] [DVD] (DVD)
I think that Faye Dunaways performance in this film is one of the best ever captured on film. I really disagree with reviewers who say that the film is OTT. I know from experience the sudden rages an abusive parent can soar into, and I find it very offensive when people think that it is funny to see a child go through this emotional and physical torment and label it as "Camp". Faye deserved at least an oscar nomination for her vivid performance in this film, but instead was mocked and ridiculed. One of the most underrated performances in film history, and one of the most memorable.

The Star Machine (Vintage Vintage)
The Star Machine (Vintage Vintage)
by Jeanine Basinger
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite monotonous for me..., 15 Sep 2014
I really didn't enjoy this book, although I have a great interest in old Hollywood and have read countless other books on the subject. I find the authors writing style boring and not very engaging. Despite the fact that I adore the subject, it really frustrated me at how repetitive it was. Why feature so many stars careers and discoveries that are virtually the same?

Inspiration
Inspiration
Dvd ~ Greta Garbo
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk
Price: 15.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Without Garbo this very average film would suffer greatly.., 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Inspiration (DVD)
Well I have often read that this is Garbo worst film, and to be honest I would agree after seeing it. Garbo does her best, but it is very difficult with such a wooden co-star and a script that while interesting at times is shallow and weak overall. Very little is memorable about it, and unlike most of Garbo's films you feel almost relieved when it is over. The ending is very unsatisfying to say the least. I have to say that Garbo's allure is this films saving grace. So three stars for Garbo and her talent, but little more to be said than that.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2014 11:34 AM BST

Shocking Life: the autobiography of Elsa Schiaparelli
Shocking Life: the autobiography of Elsa Schiaparelli
by Elsa Schiaparelli
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably good, but not extraordinary, memoir., 21 July 2014
I am not sure exactly what to say about this autobiography by one of fashions greats, One thing for sure is that she seems much more likable than her arch rival Coco Chanel, of whom i have read numerous biography's. She was also much more imaginative and it is a shame that she isn't better remembered today. Her writing style is fairly engaging, and I enjoyed the way she sometimes writes in the third person. But the thing which caused me to lose interest for a time is that she waffles on and on about the war and doesn't have much that is interesting to say about it. In fact the bulk of the book is about her life during the war. In fairness, She did do a lot of voluntary work for a woman who was so upper-class, But I got so sick of the uninteresting, unnecessary details that I put it down for a good three weeks before picking it up again. Something I seldom do. She actually glosses over the more interesting and productive periods of her life such as the 1930's. I enjoyed it, but it became a bore at times is the bottom line. I think a regular biography of her may have been more revealing.

Susan Lenox, Her Fall and Rise (Region All) PAL (Spanish import with English language)
Dvd ~ Greta Garbo
Offered by imported-dvdreams
Price: 10.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Garbo and Gable in SUSAN LENOX., 18 Jun 2014
Quite a good film, actually better than I expected. I am a Garbo fan and have read before that this is one of her worst films but I really don't think it is bad at all, but maybe as a Garbo fan I am biased! Garbo looks breathtakingly beautiful, at this point in the early 1930's that she looked her most ravishing. Clark Gable is easy on the eyes too and together they make very convincing screen lovers. The cinematography by William Daniels is brilliant, especially the moody feeling at the beginning of the film. The costumes by Adrian are wonderful also. I wish it were longer, as it is only a little over an hour long. The film quality is fairly good but at times the audio does slight cracking noises which can be distracting. Still one has to remember that it is due to the quality of the original film copy from which the DVD was made, and you cant expect an eighty-three year old film to be perfect! Overall it is entertaining to see two greats of film, not only beautiful but talented, together for the first and last time.

Garbo
Garbo
by Barry Paris
Price: 13.77

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest of them all, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Garbo (Paperback)
Greta Garbo defines that special beauty which is captivating. Not only physical beauty, but some inner luminosity that fascinates us and draws us in. Her personality is enigmatic and shy which seems to contradict her beauty, but also add to it. This seems to be the defining book on Garbo and one can see why. It is painstakingly researched and well written. As an admirer of Garbo I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this biography. From her humble working class roots in Sweden, to the most famous woman in the world, to a figure desperate to be left alone walking the streets of 1970s Manhattan.Here is the story of an icon.

George Hurrell's Hollywood
George Hurrell's Hollywood
by Mark A. Vieira
Price: 26.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The King of Hollywood Glamour, 4 Jan 2014
This is one of the most beautiful books i have had the pleasure to read or rather "experience". It is not only a gorgeous coffee table book, but also a biography of Hollywood photographer George Hurrell. George Hurrell was instrumental in creating the cultural phenomenon that is Hollywood Glamour. His innovative use of shadow and light, and the smooth perfection which he bestowed upon the stars of the golden age made him the one of the highest payed photographers of his time. Regrettably many of the so called "Stars" we have today can in no way compete with the sophisticated and elegant gods and goddesses of old Hollywood pictured in this book. This book is worth every penny. It is quality. As soon as you open the pages, you fall into the nostalgia of a more elegant age.

Marie Antoinette [DVD] [2006] [2007]
Marie Antoinette [DVD] [2006] [2007]
Dvd ~ Kirsten Dunst
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.72

4.0 out of 5 stars People expect too much of this film. A beautifully artistic production.., 7 Aug 2013
I think the reason this film is so often bashed and panned by critics and public alike is because they expect far too much of it. Many don't seem to realize that this film is supposed to appeal to the senses, most importantly sound and sight. Its not trying to be some complete cinematic masterpiece, its simply trying to tell a story about a teenage girl married beyond her will and thrown into situations which mostly were not of her making. The most poignant thing about the film is the way in which towards the end her beautiful, carefree world fall apart as her child dies and the revolution looms over her family. Visually, it is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. The sumptuous costumes and the outstanding use of the palace of Versailles really are a feast for the eyes. The use of 1980's and modern indie music is a bold move but i think it works very well in line with the teenage queen gliding through the palace and its grounds. Do i think that Marie Antoinette's story could do with a proper all out cinematic retelling? Yes, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying this film. If you want an evocative drama then look elsewhere but if you want to escape into another time and place for a couple of hours then look no further than this film.

MGM: Hollywood's Greatest Backlot
MGM: Hollywood's Greatest Backlot
by Steven Bingen
Price: 24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what I had hoped for, but a beautiful book.., 7 Aug 2013
I bought this book in the hope that it would be overflowing with both information and photographs about the greatest studio of Hollywood's golden age, Metro Goldwyn Mayer. Unfortunately when it arrived it was not really what i had expected. Undeniably, There are hundreds of gorgeous photographs of the backlot sets and the interiors of the studio, which are great and are very insightful. When it comes to Information about the history of the studio and the stars who worked there it is very scant. Most pages of photo's are accompanied by a small paragraph of information and for me this was not enough for my money. It is a lovely coffee table book full of nostalgic photos, but if you are looking for a reliable source of information on the studio then this isn't the book for you. A lot of style but little substance.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2014 8:34 PM GMT

Greta Garbo: Divine Star
Greta Garbo: Divine Star
by David Bret
Price: 16.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Greta Garbo, an enigmatic star..., 7 Aug 2013
I have read reviews about this author before and the majority say his writing is poor ,not factual enough and too speculative. After I read this biography of the great Greta Garbo I could not see what all the bad mouthing was about. The only critic I would have is that the descriptions of the films she starred in are too long and in depth when it is the readers responsibility to watch them. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this biography of a woman who in my opinion is one of the most fascinating and talented figures of the 20th century. The authors enthusiasm for the subject is immediately apparent and he makes Garbo's interesting story leap off the page. Her family life,relationships,discovery,famed elusiveness,fear of crowds and enigmatic personality are all discussed in detail. One is left with the sense that it must have been an incredibly lonely life for one of the most celebrated women ever.

Page: 1 | 2