Profile for Sarah Matthews > Reviews

Sarah Matthews (England)

Anna Karenina
Anna Karenina

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost all of human life is here., 24 July 2011
This review is from: Anna Karenina (Kindle Edition)
Although the characters in Anna Karenina may live in Tsarist Russia, you have met their like, and you will recognise the truth and tragedies of their portryal in this wonderful novel. You may find the expositions of such areas as how to treat farm workers rather wordy, but you will find yourself savouring the descriptions of Levin mowing and empathising with his irritation at slovenly work. I haven't mentioned the eponymous heroine and her lover, but there are so many passages that will linger in your memory ...

Suffragette (My Story)
Suffragette (My Story)
by Carol Drinkwater

4.0 out of 5 stars A window on feminist history, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Suffragette (My Story) (Paperback)
I read this book so that I could discuss it with my niece. I found it gave an interesting insight into the activities of the suffragettes, convincingly written as a diary, although I thought it would have been a good idea to include a few entries from a later date in order to round off the story, rather than giving these details in an appendix. The main characters were fairly well drawn, but I found the ceaseless name dropping in the earlier part of the book irritating and felt it was probably meaningless to most of its intended audience. I found the second part of the novel more gripping.