Profile for Derek A. Brawn > Reviews

Content by Derek A. Brawn

Derek A. Brawn "Studio Del" (Dublin, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dormy Stamp Pad Ink 28ml Black
Dormy Stamp Pad Ink 28ml Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 9 May 2014
These replacement inks are very economical & represent good value at this price. Also they work great without any smudges.

SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought 2nd Pair - So they really are that good!, 9 May 2014
For the money these E10s are excellent and easily outperform my last earphones (Sennheiser's that cost 79.99), so I'm really happy with them. The tie-clip is very good for keeping the cable in place, plus the ear-buds remain in the ear despite head movement -> this is the first time I've had a pair of headphones that never need in-ear adjustment. Lastly, the sound quality is great, especially the lower frequencies (as I probably don't hear above 11,000 Hz anymore given my age, I can still hear the lower frequencies and 15Hz does make a difference from the usual minimum of 20Hz and above) and the rigid carrying case is decent. They look good and feel good, particularly the solid cable molding around the 3.5 mm plug (these ought to last a while).

UPDATE: 3 months on and they're still like new even though I use them everyday when walking to the train station as well as watching movies on my tablet at night. Everyone that tries them on says they're much better than what they're currently using with their smartphone or tablet. I've even plugged them into my Onkyo Amp using a 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter and pumped the headphone volume up to clipping levels - they did rasp a bit but they survived and still sound great.

Ignore the poor reviews from morons who throw them around or sit on them! as well as the idiots who complain they don't fit - they come with 14 additional (7 x pairs of) ear-buds of varying sizes so they'll fit practically every ear, as well as the intellectually challenged folk who give the product a bad rating cos' the postman crushed their package before it arrived to their home :) These multi-award winning earphones are very cheap at under thirty quid, this is entry-level price for decent quality.

NOTE: 6 months on and my son took my earphones cos' they were so good and now he's using them with his iPad mini 2, so I've ordered another pair!

NOV 2014 I purchased another pair for just £16 by checking the USED box onscreen and found a set for sale where the package had been damaged (although does not look damaged to me!). Anyway, this is my 2nd pair and I'm very happy to have a set of E10 earphones again.

DILL New Laptop Battery for Packard Bell EasyNote LJ61, LJ63, LJ65, LJ67, LJ71, LJ73, LJ75 Series (11.1V, 6cell, 5200mah)

3.0 out of 5 stars Similar to the OEM Battery, lasts about 35 min, 9 May 2014
I thought I'd rejuvenate my laptop with a new Li-Ion battery. This works fine, just like the original battery that came with my Packard Bell Easynote LJ61, but I only get about 32 to 35 mins of usage (Balanced Power Setting, not Performance or 'Saver') out of a full charge, hence only 3-starts. It is probably a problem with high electrical consumption from my laptop, still disappointing though.

Samsung 64GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 70 MB/s microSDXC Pro Memory Card with MicroSD Adapter

3.0 out of 5 stars A genuine card, but disappointingly S-L-O-W, 18 April 2014
First of all, I purchased this micro SDXC UHS-I Pro card here on Amazon and my card is a genuine Samsung "Made in Korea" card with all the right packaging. Secondly, the usable capacity appears as 58.5 GB, however, the transfer speeds are pitifully slow, both reading and writing to the memory card. So much so that I took the card out of my Surface 2 tablet and used the SD adapter to connect it to my laptop first and then to my main desktop PC, in order to run the industry standard CrystalMark test of 5x runs of 1000MB to double-check that my observed write speeds of between 13.5 MB/s and 15.5 MB/s were a true and fair representation of this card. Also I could not achieve read speeds any greater than 20 MB/s in real-life usage. Card speed did not change as I added data to it.

The results were as follows (I'll upload a JPeG too of the results screenshot - see above):
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 4.498 MB/s [ 1098.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.714 MB/s [ 418.6 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 4.930 MB/s [ 1203.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.846 MB/s [ 450.7 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [H: 60.3% (35.3/58.5 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2014/04/18 1:01:12
OS : Windows 8.1 Pro [6.3 Build 9600] (x64)

For a flash memory card that is supposed to be Class 10, therefore fast, these results are very disappointing. I have owned 64GB and 128GB Class 10 SDXC cards (for photography/camera purposes) that were 1.5x to 2x faster than this card (varying between 27 MB/s to 45 MB/s) and that was 3-years ago!

If you want a comparatively cheap expansion storage option, then this card will suffice. But if you're looking for speed (expect to transfer a lot of videos/pics etc. on a regular basis) then you should perhaps look elsewhere. Just honest objectivity.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Microsoft Surface 2 WI-FI 64GB P4W-00004 Nvidia® 64 GB 2048 MB 10.6 -inch LCD
Microsoft Surface 2 WI-FI 64GB P4W-00004 Nvidia® 64 GB 2048 MB 10.6 -inch LCD
Offered by Digi-Fun

5.0 out of 5 stars Surface 2 64GB (192GB expanded) iPad Air Killer, 11 April 2014
Firstly, I bought my Surface 2 64GB direct from MS (availing of the student discount) for less than a 16 GB iPad Air on Amazon or from PC World etc. Secondly, I added a 64GB USB 3.0 thumbnail drive (bought on Amazon) for twenty-five quid + a 64 GB micro SDXC memory card (also from Amazon for thirty-five quid) so I've E-X-P-A-N-D-E-D my device storage capacity greater than any available iOS7 device! Next I purchased a back-lit Type Cover 2, so I now have essentially 2 devices in 1 - a fully functional high capacity notebook running the full version of MS Office 2013 for free (yes, no Office 365 or monthly subscriptions like on the iPad), plus a great tablet that plays superb games like Asphalt 8 Airborne & Halo Assault etc.

Having Outlook for email accounts is brilliant. Being able to split my screen in 2 and spawn IE11 browser and use Wikipedia whilst I still have an ebook open or a Word document is hugely productive. Being able to use Task Manager & File Explorer (even on RT version of Windows 8.1) is quick and dirty for getting my device running smoothly. The Microsoft Cloud (called OneDrive now) is terrific for updating daily spreadsheets and keeping them in one place, but the USB 3.0 port allows me to move multiple files from my PC or Laptop to my surface very very rapidly. Plus I sometimes plug my Logitech Performance Laser mouse (from my laptop) into my Surface 2 and it is so fast and accurate, especially multitasking. Not to mention productivity tools like One Note which is just made for the Surface and you have 2 versions to choose from: (1) Metro App (great without a keyboard attached) and the (2) desktop version that comes free along with Excel, Word, Outlook & PowerPoint.

I now check my email and watch Sky News live on my Surface 2 at the breakfast table and thanks to the fabulous kickstand at the back of the Surface (with 2 great positions 25 and 40-degree angles) I don't have to hold the device, even when its on my lap it is still hands-free!

Finally, I have a huge TV/Movies collection (more than 10 Terabytes) on a USB 3.0 external JBOD drive (again bought here on Amazon) and I can plug it directly into my Surface 2, but what is even better is that, I can play .MKV files on my Surface 2 thanks to a downloadable app called mobile HD Media player, and everyone knows that .MKV file container is the dominant type nowadays, but the ability to connect storage devices with these directly to my tablet is something that Apple will never allow.

Apple are very good at marketing their products and great at creating the illusion of product desire - look at all the 5-Star iPad Air reviews from online reviewers like Tech Gadget Review, who then rate the Surface 2 down because it cannot play x86 legacy programs or has fewer apps available in the MS Store, yet in their own blogs people like Mary Banscombe freely admit that all their staff use Surface tablets in the office for work and only reach for their iPads to play games or take selfies for Instagram.

Don't be fooled by the hype or choose form over substance, if you want the best all-round tablet device then Surface 2 is the one.

Integral Europe Fusion USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB Metallic Grey
Integral Europe Fusion USB 3.0 Flash Drive 64 GB Metallic Grey
Offered by MyMemory

5.0 out of 5 stars Teeny Tiny USB, Quoted Speed Verified, Terrific Product, 10 April 2014
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 9.123 MB/s [ 2227.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.029 MB/s [ 7.1 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 9.108 MB/s [ 2223.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.025 MB/s [ 6.2 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [F: 1.6% (0.9/57.6 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2014/04/10 17:44:01
OS : Windows 8.1 Pro [6.3 Build 9600] (x64)

The above stats show the industry standard speed tests, performs bang in-line with manufacturer claims.

I'm using this with a Microsoft Surface 2 to store PDFs, Excel, PPoint & Word files and it beats using the Cloud (OneDrive) plus I will use it to transfer large video files, especially as my main desktop PC has 4 USB 3.0 ports.

Please note this flash memory drive came formatted as 'FAT32' and showing 57.6 GB free disk space (as per usual given that quoted capacity is always around 10% higher than actual usable space). Works immediately, would highly recommend.

** Also arrived with a free micro-fiber LCD/glass cleaning cloth (from MyMemory) **

SEP 2014: THE SMALL LANYARD + BARREL LOCK IS STRONG BUT BREAKS EVENTUALLY! SO USE METAL ONE INSTEAD!!

Samsung T27B300EW; 685.8 mm (27 "); 5 ms; 300 cd/m²; 2 pcs; 10 W; Dolby Digital Plus/Pulse; SRS (LT27B300EW)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Bright Screen, Great PC Monitor & Okay TV...USB is terrific, 16 Feb 2014
I've been using the Samsung TB300EW/EN for about 1 month now, as a 3rd monitor for my PC and it is an excellent 1920x1080 @ 60Hz screen. It is incredibly bright as the backlight LED is very strong, much stronger than my Sony & Hannspree LCD screens.

I did experience one minor glitch when attempting to connect using the HDMI DVI in socket, it just kept saying unrecognised signal (hence only 4-stars here) when I took the same DVI (out of my graphics card) to HDMI into one of my other screens it worked fine, so I just switched cables - took the 15-pin VGA d-sub from my other screen and plugged it into the Samsung and hey presto!

As a PC screen it works great, flawless and fast response, not surprising as it is a 5ms screen (so perfect for gaming).

I'm currently using the HDMI socket for my PS3 and that looks fabulous, although I'm not using audio signal to this TV, instead I use fibre-optic out to my Onkyo Amp for 5.1 surround sound.

Another reason I only gave this 4-Stars and not 5, is because of the lack of base in the sound, it is very tinny sounding, but is adequate for watching regular TV such as news etc.

The USB-in port is terrific - I've used both 32GB FAT-32 formatted flash memory sticks with .AVI, .MP4 and .MKV files and all play perfectly, plus I've also used an external (powered) USB 2.0 750GB Maxtor HDD and that also works great, so you can hook up a large external hard drive and keep a video library on tap. This was a big plus for me.

Finally, as a TV, well I just use it for Digital Air here in my country and all the channels tune-in very quickly, and setup is a doddle - very intuitive and fast. One gripe that I have is that Picture-in-Picture works but with no sound e.g. when I'm using the screen as a PC monitor but have the PIP on with regular TV so I can see when Ads etc. are over to switch over or just to listen to the news or sports or whatever. My Sony TV/monitor does allow me to do this, but that is a high-end expensive 40-inch TV. Overall though the picture quality is 9/10 or 10/10 however the sound quality is more like 6/10, okay for a bedroom TV where you won't really want too much volume anyway. For me, it works brilliantly as I'm using an external amplifier for everything (PC/Gaming/TV/DVR/CDR etc).

Corsair Air Series AF120-LED 120mm Quiet Edition High Airflow LED Fan - Blue (Dual Pack)
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, Runs Silent, Looks Great, 30 Jan 2014
Gradually as I upgrade my custom PC I've switched to Corsair products when I can, liquid-cooling, fans, pro fully-modular power supply units and so on. They are high-end in terms of quality and essential when used as accessories for expensive CPU's & GPU's as well as the more advanced motherboards. They don't that much more than cheaper alternatives either, so get the best.

Intel Core I7-2600K 3400MHz 8MB Cache LGA1155 Desktop CPU boxed
Intel Core I7-2600K 3400MHz 8MB Cache LGA1155 Desktop CPU boxed

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Years Old, Survived PSU Blow-Up, Now Running @ 4.5GHz, 30 Jan 2014
I've had my i7 2600K for more than 3 years now and it even survived a motherboard & PSU blow-up that caused my PC to catch fire whilst taking out all the electricity in the house (well main-circuit breaker anyway). Three months on with a new MOBO and Pro Corsair PSU it is running great Overclocked to 4.5GHz with voltage capped at 1.315V to protect chip. Furthermore I now have it liquid cooled and it runs at 22-degrees C @ idle and sometimes gets up to 47-degrees (never above 60 C) so a good 20 degrees below where it used to operate using stock-fan air-cooling. It also partners my new GTX 780 graphics card OC'd too and does not cause any bottleneck whatsoever.

Bottom line: the latest i7 Intel chips are no more than 10% faster than this 'old' tech processor and that speaks volumes
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2014 8:47 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Overclocks Beautifully....Never Exceeds 64 Degrees Celsius !!!, 30 Jan 2014
Did a lot of research on upgrading my Palit GTX 570 to an Asus GTX 780, especially given that the new card cost 5x what I sold the older 5xx series for, however after the last few days I can now see why a GPU is in some instances more important than a CPU. This Asus GTX 780 has 7.1 billion transistors in a chip the size of a postage stamp, that's 4x more than my Intel i7. Anyway the card is very slim and solid, but at 28.7 cm it just about fit in my ATX case - had to move some cables running parallel to my hard drives up & over the graphics card.

Pro's
(1) Totally Silent (had to manually turn up the fan to 100% to really hear it, never exceeds 55% when extreme gaming)
(2) Runs cold, around 24-degrees centigrade at idle when my CPU is 22 degrees and my motherboard 19, so very good.
(3) Even playing CoD Ghosts with 4 x TXAA and everything on to 'Extra', never drops a frame and runs fast and below 65 degrees GPU temp.
(4) Quality build and it shows, especially accessories, protective parts ( contact sleeves), packaging etc.
(5) Very simple to overclock with GPU Tweak - just set the max power target and temp - also prompts you at each PC restart
(6) Came with Assasins Creed IV Black Flag for free (well mine did as I purchased of an online retailer in Europe - to pay in Euros as the Sterling rate was too much right now to buy on Amazon, especially when Bank charges you at current FX rate minus tuppence + commission then), but this game plays at maximum settings with this card and looks good on my 40-inch screen
(7) Comfort factor - just knowing that its there when I need to use Photoshop/Illustrator/Premiere etc. or when I want to game online is great. Also future proofs my custom built PC for another couple of years, well it will once I get an SSD.
(8) Played CoD in Multiplayer mode with ShadowPlay on and recorded 1920x1080 .mp4 files to my 2nd internal drive and within three quarters of an hour I had accumulated 18 GB of .mp4 files that playback perfectly...and recording did not slow sown my PC or gameplay noticeably at all. Seriously...this card is a beast.

Cons
(1) Just one - this card costs a lot of money even after the late-2013 150 quid price reduction or thereabouts, especially when I compare it to the GTX 770, a card I originally wanted to buy as a 3-year rotational upgrade. The price is almost double, not quite but for a few quid more you could purchase 2 GTX 770's in SLI configuration, but then the 2GB video memory and configuration/driver issues would be there. This Asus GTX 780 is about 30% to 35% better than the GTX 770 with 50% more VRAM. This is just one of those times when you have to pay a lot more to get a better product.

Lastly I have run all the usual benchmarks e.g. Unigine Valley & Heaven and Futuremark and all I can say is that the online reviews were right (my card is actually surpassing those benchmark numbers). Just to quote you 1 sample benchmark, I ran Unigine Valley on "ExtremeHD" - so everything maxed out with 8x Anti-Aliasing etc. - and I averaged more than 60 frames per second (my 1920 x 1080p screen is 60Hz so that is just perfect). If you're thinking of getting a high-end card, forget AMD as they run too hot for my liking (bad experience with graphics card before blowing up PSU and exceeding 80-degrees celsius) go for an Nvidia and avail of GeForce Optimisation & ShadowPlay.....plus Asus make the best GTX 780....so that narrows it down!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4