Profile for Somervyl > Reviews

Somervyl (Newcastle UK)

Simplicity Ez Quilting Tools Easy Dresden Quilt Tool Set
Simplicity Ez Quilting Tools Easy Dresden Quilt Tool Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality product, 24 Sep 2014
Just what I need as I've got 'hooked' on making Dresden Plates. Great quality 3-in-1 deal = template + bamboo pointer + quilt pattern/instructions. can't wait to get started.

Half Yard Heaven: Easy Sewing Projects Using Left-Over Pieces of Fabric
Half Yard Heaven: Easy Sewing Projects Using Left-Over Pieces of Fabric
by Debbie Shore

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book., 28 July 2014
I've made a couple of items so far and am keen to make more from this lovely selection. As ever with Debbie Shore, her instructions are simple and clear, with photos to illustrate of items which can be completed very quickly. A great book.

Not the Killing Type (Booktown Mysteries)
Not the Killing Type (Booktown Mysteries)
by Lorna Barrett
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
A great addition to this series, I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to the next one.

'CANNY' NEWCASTLE.
'CANNY' NEWCASTLE.
by Paul J. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip down memory lane., 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: 'CANNY' NEWCASTLE. (Hardcover)
Bought as a gift for my husband who was bowled over when he unwrapped it. A real piece of Newcastle on Tyne history. The anecdotal style of the text is charming - drawing attention to numerous aspects of the city, and the vintage adverts evoke a different era. In great condition, too.

Band Of Brothers: Complete HBO Series (Commemorative 6-Disc Gift Set In Tin Box) [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Ron Livingston

5.0 out of 5 stars 10th Wedding Anniversary Gift (TIN), 1 Nov 2012
I bought this as a gift for my husband for our 10th Wedding Anniversary (UK = TIN)
The tin box looks great and the actual series is fantastic - everything the reviews claim.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars FUN 10th Wedding Anniversary Gift (TIN), 1 Nov 2012
I bought this as a 'fun' gift for my husband - 1 of 3 given for our 10th Wedding Anniversary (UK = TIN)
He loves trains and I thought this could sit on his home-desk. It assembled easily, and works perfectly.
We had fun seeing how easily he could fit it back in the tin! (No problem!) Great that it came with a battery.
Not sure how durable the set would be in the hands of excited children.

The Essential Sampler Quilt Book: A Celebration of 40 Traditional Blocks from the Sampler Quilt Expert
by Lynne Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BUY!, 18 April 2011
As an 'almost novice' quilter, aspiring to make a sampler quilt, this book's title caught my eye. I haven't tackled anything in it yet, but have spent time browsing through and am already inspired by several designs. The layout, instructions and graphics seem very clear and helpful. I can't wait to get started! A word of warning, however. Before buying, I looked up various reviews and found that this book is an amalgam of 2 previous books, but this isn't made at all clear - very annoying if you already have the others and purchase this thinking it's brand new.

Making Doll's House Miniatures with Polymer Clay
Making Doll's House Miniatures with Polymer Clay
by Sue Heaser

5.0 out of 5 stars Doll's Houses - Using Polymer Clay, 14 Dec 2010
Since I bought this in the run-up to Christmas, I haven't had time to make any of the items yet, but a good perusal has made me eager to have a go at many of the projects as soon as I have time.

My Bonnie: How dementia stole the love of my life
My Bonnie: How dementia stole the love of my life
by John Suchet

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, 27 July 2010
The book is well written and makes a swift, fluid read. The ultimate relevance for someone caring for someone with Alzheimer's or who knows someone who is, will be the final quarter, which covers Bonnie's deterioration and John's struggle to make the decision to have her looked after by professional carers in a residential home (in Sept 2009) The rest of the book swaps between telling their love story with some references to work/family/lifestyle etc. and descriptions of what 'his Bonnie' is doing at the time of writing - pacing the corridor/fussing over her handbag/collecting tissues/coming out with completely irrelevant responses etc. The Bonnie he fell in love with and the Bonnie of now - 2 entirely different people. John reveals himself as a passionate lover, a besotted husband, a devoted carer and as a flawed human being under great personal duress. He describes several occasions when he 'loses it' with Bonnie - entirely understandable. I wonder if carers of people with Alzheimer's might find John Suchet gives voice to emotions/thoughts/behaviour that they have hardly dared to admit, even to themselves? It may help them to recognise where 'they are at' in their tortuous journey and help them to know how/when to proceed.