Profile for monkeymagic > Reviews

Content by monkeymagic

monkeymagic

Denon AVR-X3000 7 Channel Integrated Network Receiver with DTS-NEO:X, Airplay, Spotify and 4K Video Scaling - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Atlantic Electrics Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars best piece of audio equipment I own, 9 Feb. 2014
I had a reasonable sounding amp until I bought a Denon X3000. This amp has now completely transformed my sound system. I couldn't find very good info regarding how to stream audio from devices but decided to purchase it anyway. I'm so glad I did.
I've got an iphone and use itunes on a windows PC. as long as the amp is connected to your home network, on an iphone you go to the home screen and slide your finger up the screen. You'll see an option for air play which if selected you'll see the name Denon appear. Whatever you play on the iphone plays through the amp. On itunes you see a blue icon appear near the volume bar. Simply select it and then select the denon option.
You can also stream direct from windows media player although it takes a bit more clicking around to get it working.
The amp doesn't have wireless network connectivity. The best option if you cant plug straight in to a LAN is to get a device that transmits network connectivity over the power cables. There are plenty of companies doing these. Search for "LAN over power"

The audio quality is the best I've heard on any system. I've got Mordaunt Short speakers. I was dubious about how the quality would be when streaming from something like an iphone but I can't fault it.
A tip though. Out of the box it sounds OK but needs a lot of setting up. It comes with a small microphone. You put the amp in to setup mode and place this microphone in various positions in the room while the amp generates test tones. It sets the amp up for you and dramatically improves the performance.
Another tip. when setting the amp up, plug it in to your TV so you can see the menu. You get much more detail than the text on the front of the amp.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2014 5:29 PM GMT

LG D2342P-PN 23 inch Widescreen 3D LED Monitor
LG D2342P-PN 23 inch Widescreen 3D LED Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 28 Jan. 2012
I use this monitor for my home office and PS3 which it's perfect for. You won't find any flashy features that you will on a more expensive monitor or TV but for the price, this is the best monitor I could find.
The picture quality is as good as you'll get. I've not seen other 3D montitors so can't compare the 3D quality but it seems good.
There is only one HDMI port and there are no built in speakers but this is fine as long as you know what to expect. There's a jack plug for output to another audio device (such as an Ipod dock) so HDMI audio can be routed through this port.

I would recommend this monitor