Profile for Bookworm > Reviews

Davina Intense [DVD]
Davina Intense [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Didn't Buy It - Very Glad That I Did, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
I bought my first Davina fitness DVD 10 years ago in an effort to lose my pregnancy weight. I've been a big fan ever since and have never failed to buy any of her releases. Other fitness DVDs have come and gone, but 9 out of 10 times I reach for Davina. Still, reading the reviews on the new one made me a little reluctant to take the plunge. I'm 42 and have recently had problems with my joints, so really didn't think this one was suitable. Also, many people were critical of the breaks you are required to take during the routine, so that kind of put me off too.

However, off late, I've been feeling stuck in a rut when it came to exercise and the wet weather wasn't helping. When I realised that this DVD was reduced to a mere £8.50 on Amazon, I took it as a sign and ordered it. I can't tell you how pleased I am that I did. I'm not one of those exercise-crazy people who thrive on fitting in as many workouts per week as possible. Given a choice, I'd much rather sit around than move. I only exercise because a) I know I should, b) vanity plays its part and c) I feel so much better when I do. And while I love my Davina DVDs, this is the one* I actually look forward to doing - I'm completely hooked! In fact, today is my rest day and I'm a bit sad that I have to keep away from it! (Honestly, I don't even recognize this person as me!)

As for the DVD itself, the warm up and cool down are wonderful. Even though the cardio is hard, I find each routine in it just the right length, so by the time I'm about to give up, it is over any way. Also, the break in between is exactly what I need so my knees don't get too sore. And I love that you're only doing about 16 minutes of actual hard work (4 mins workout, 1 minute break - this times 4). The toning bit is harder and slightly longer but I still love it. Haven't explored the abs section yet, but probably will do it tomorrow. I was also expecting my body to ache all over the next day after such intense workout, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover it wasn't. That's probably due to all of the 20 mins of stretching I try and do each time (you have the choice to do just part of it if you're short on time).

All in all, I would highly recommend this DVD!

* I also love her Super Body DVD, particularly the Super Fit section - best tunes ever!

Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD]
Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, LOVE Davina's DVDs, 19 Nov. 2011
I haven't seen this DVD either, but like the second reviewer, I felt I had to defend Davina's DVDs. I have a whole library of fitness DVDs, but Davina's are the only ones I actually look forward to using. Jillian's DVD feels like boring, hard work whereas Davina's feel like you're working out with a friend. I stopped working out to Jillian's videos after a friend bulked up considerably on using them. I just keep coming back to Davina's videos (and only use the others very rarely) because they're so much fun and effective. Can't wait for this one to be released!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2011 2:22 PM GMT

Wilson Blade 26 Tennis Racquet - 26-Inch, Black/Gold
Wilson Blade 26 Tennis Racquet - 26-Inch, Black/Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Racquet at an Amazing Price!, 13 Oct. 2011
Brilliant product - I bought it for my son and he loves it. I also saved £13 even after paying P&P compared to the same product on the high street. No complaints whatsoever.

Stuffed Vine Leaves Saved My Life
Stuffed Vine Leaves Saved My Life
by Nadia Sawalha

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Sept. 2010
I have far too many cookbooks and my resolution for this year was not to buy any more. I'd stuck to my resolution pretty well until I borrowed Nadia's book from the library. I'm now compelled to buy my own copy. I haven't cooked anything from it yet, but have many recipes that I do want to. What impressed me most about this book is the laugh-out-loud narration - I've never chuckled as much while reading a cookbook. So well done Nadia, even if it means you've spoiled my resolution, my will-power and my diet! Just the thing I needed to get over a flu. Looking forward to cooking your recipes once I'm back in the kitchen.

How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
by Nigella Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Simply Wonderful, 3 Aug. 2007
I've had this book ever since it came out, but the only reason I'm writing this review now is because I feel the need to defend Nigella's recipes. Any person who says her recipes are 'guesstimates' either doesn't own this book or hasn't ever cooked from it.Of the 100+ cookbooks I own, this is the one I've used the most and have yet to come across a recipe that has failed. If you love to bake then you must have this book and if you love to cook, then it is imperative that you own all her books.