Profile for Sam M > Reviews

Content by Sam M

Sam M (Birmingham, England, UK)

Velvet Lined Shell
Velvet Lined Shell

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dull, Ms Wilcox!, 2 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Velvet Lined Shell (Audio CD)
I am a huge fan of Toyah's eighties music, with great albums like Anthem and The Changeling coming from that decade and I thought I would give Toyah's latest release a go. However this really is a differnt genre to what I'm used to from her, there are no semi opertic vocals and there is distict lack of wailing like banshee, which we have become accustomed to with songs like It's a mystery, I want to be free and Echo Beach! But the album is still good, but in an entirely different way, the lyrics are mature and well delivered and are related to a middle aged womans issues, but I just wish there was a little more excitement there, like back in the day! I would get Anthem instead if you want to hear Toyah at her best!

Best of Toyah
Best of Toyah

3.0 out of 5 stars Toyah's Hits - A Good Buy for Unfamiliars, 1 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Best of Toyah (Audio CD)
I bought this album recently as I have always liked Toyah's song, 'It's a mystery' and I was lucky enough to see her perform a live set at a local nigtclub a few weeks ago, including 'It's a mystery', 'I want to be free' and 'Thunder in the mountains', all of which are on this album. After seeing her live and hearing this album I have discovered that Toyah is vastly under rated, and sings extremely well! My favourite track is definitely 'I want to be free', penned whilst still at school and is a classic new wave/punk anthem of the eighties along with 'It's a mystery'. This is a must have for any fan of eighties/ new wave music, you will be pleasantly surprised!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2010 5:30 PM GMT