Profile for Mr. B. T. Carter > Reviews

Content by Mr. B. T. Carter

Mr. B. T. Carter "B Carter" (Ely, Cambs)

Page: 1 | 2
Traveling Wilburys Volumes 1 And 3: Remastered With Bonus Tracks
Traveling Wilburys Volumes 1 And 3: Remastered With Bonus Tracks
Price: 28.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Special, 29 Jun 2007
I own a copy of this item. Cost me 17 including postage when brand new. Now Amazon have no more available and people are trying to sell it for 70 upwards!!

I was the man wasn't I???!!! Im sitting on a collectible and I also have the original volume 1 on CD. That makes me pretty damn good I reckon.

Seriously though, what a collection. Wortha purchase as this is classic stuff. Mind you though, if you didn't pre order this item you clearly missed out....

The Boy with No Name
The Boy with No Name
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Thats more like it!!, 8 May 2007
This review is from: The Boy with No Name (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Travis since their formative years. I saw them at some of their earlier gigs supporting Reef, Cast, Paul Weller and Oasis. Since those days they went to have massive success, notably with 2 albums (The Man Who & The Invisible Band). The Boy with No Name deserves to be as succesful as the other 2, it is a vast imrovement on the poor 12 Memories (so poor I gave my copy away!). Selfish Jean is easily one of their best ever tracks and there is not one duff track on the album. I fear though that Travis' years in the big time has all but passed and that they will return to playing the small venues as in their early days. But no matter, I think the true fans will love this. Also, if you don't have the debut album Good Feeling, I suggest you purchase this too as its a belter.

The Traveling Wilburys
The Traveling Wilburys
Offered by MMT-UK
Price: 14.27

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate 'super' group, 15 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Traveling Wilburys (Audio CD)
Is this the best album ever made??? I reckon it might just well be. Great tracks all the way through, great musicianship. Im fortunate to own a copy of the original vol 1 on CD and I have seen it go for as much as 50 on E-bay. If there is a bona fide copy of vol 1 for sale on here and its reasonably priced, you'd be daft not to purchase it as its a classic. Plus you'll have your hands on a very valuable CD!!

Its no longer in print, thats why its worth a lot. I have read that there is abox set forthcoming at some point, but this is the original and I reccomend it as a purchase. Vol 3 is nowhere near as good and is not really such a welcome edition to your collection as this one.

Phil Lynott: The Rocker
Phil Lynott: The Rocker
by Mark Putterford
Price: 6.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 2 May 2006
I've become a Thin Lizzy fan in recent years and I have become intrigued by Phil Lynott and the way he lived his life.

What is clear from this book is that Lynott was a determined and dedicated musician, who badly wanted success. It is also clear that when success came knocking at his door, Lynott did not handle the fame game too well. Then there were numerous fall outs with band memebers who came and went, then came back again and then went again!!

It is apparent from the book that Lynott courted celebrity and he ended up with some fairly unsavoury characters hanging around his Kent home. Once the drugs had taken over his life, Lynott was a shadow of the energetic man who strived for success in the early days of Thin Lizzy. It becomes rather moving towards the end of the book when Lynott's heroin addiction takes over his life and ultimatley contributes in no small part to his death.

The book is well researched and written by Mark Putterford and he writes it from a fans perspective. I didn't want to put the book down, especially when it gets to the part of the book where Lynott's career really took off. It is apparent that the band had exciting times on the road and this is captured in the book.

I would disagree with the previous reviewers comments about Live Aid and where were Phil's friends when he needed them most?? At that time, it seems quite clear from the book that Lynott was in no fit state to perform at Live Aid and also it must be remembered that Geldof & Midge Ure were trying to help[ save the lives of many sick people. I think Lynott would surely have approved of this. I think the book makes fairly clear that many of Phil's friends were on the verge of giving up trying to help him because his drug habit was so advanced by this time.

Its just such a shame that someone with such talent was taken away from the World at an early age. It is also clear from the book that Lynnot had plans for the future and its so sad that these plans were never realised.

A good read. If you are a rock fan, its worth buying.

Johnny The Fox
Johnny The Fox
Price: 8.38

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 2 May 2006
This review is from: Johnny The Fox (Audio CD)
I disliked this album so much I gave it away...

Im a big fan of Thin Lizzy and I think Phil Lynott is underrated. But for me this album is a slight dip in form in the middle of their 70's heyday. I know most people will disagree, but I think its a poor record. Fools Gold is the best one on this record.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2011 4:10 PM GMT

Chinatown
Chinatown
Price: 7.41

3.0 out of 5 stars Lizzy Thin on Quality Tunes, 2 May 2006
This review is from: Chinatown (Audio CD)
If you are new to Thin Lizzy, don't buy this one as there are better examples of their work. I would reccomend Black Rose or Bad Reputation.

Its so difficult knowing what Thin Lizzy albums to buy as the form of the band varied so much along with the line up!! Also, as with lots of albums, everyone has a different opinion and that is fair enough. For example lots of Lizzy devotees rave about Johnny The Fox, I however, don't.

The reason I picked Chinatown is because it followed on from Black Rose, which is in my opinion Phil Lynott's finest hour. I thought to myself that the band must have carried on the form from that album to this one, especially with a new guitarist (Snowy White, who replaced Gary Moore). Unfortunatley this album doesn't deliver. It starts off well enough with 'We will be strong' with its trademark Lizzy anthemic chorus. But after this point it is rather forgetable stuff really. Its not bad, just not up there with the the earlier albums which preceeded it. 'Sweetheart'& 'Having a Good Time' are good tracks and 'Didn't I' is Lynott at his slushy romantic best.

By this point in Lynott's career it is said the hard drugs began to take over and I think in places it does show through as some of the songs are not as impressive maybe you would expect. Maybe I was expecting too much after Black Rose as that album left such an impression on me. I have bought none of the albums after Chinatown for fear of disappointment. Maybe one day I'll change my mind, but for now Im sticking with the mid to late 70's Lizzy sound. The one plus point for this album is Snowy White's playing. Although image wise he never fitted in with the rest of Lizzy, his playing brings a different sound and is very tight. Also it is worth mentioning Darren Wharton whose keyboards bring something else to the bands sound.

Marriott 1976
Marriott 1976
Price: 9.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite 3 stars- more of a 3.5, 2 May 2006
This review is from: Marriott 1976 (Audio CD)
I was really looking forward to recieving this album. I thought it would be packed full of good ol' rock n roll and R & B songs. I was left feeling slightly disappointed...

Marriott's vocals are never in question. As ever, his voice is superb all the way through the album. He was definitley one of the greatest, if not the greatest white rock/soul singers. A truly remarkable voice for a cheeky cockney!!

The album starts off well with some upbeat tracks and then on to a great vocal performance from Marriott on 'Help me Through the Day'. What the album lacks is any real consitency or feel. The problem is that when the record was originally released on vinyl back in 1976, it was split into 2 sides. Side 1 has an English rock/RnB feel and side 2 is more for the American market. The 2nd side dabbles with funk and MoR soul sounds and this is the records overall undoing. As there is no natural break between the 2 'sides' now, the record does not merge together particularly well. As I have already said though, Steve Marriotts voice cannot be faulted and his performance saves the record. If it had been many other artists it would have been a complete mess. Marriott takes the role of lead guitarist on this record and there are flashes of talent here and there, but its not really an album that needs fantastic playing. One thing I do wonder however, is why was the bongo player from T-Rex (Mickey Finn) chosen as rhythm guitar player????? I can't quite work that one out and wasn't aware that he was a guitar player as well as a bongo basher!!

If you are a fan of Steve Marriott and that brilliant voice, then it is worth a purchase because its always great to hear anything he was involved with. Its also worth purchasing just to hear an up tempo version of Wham Bam Thankyou Mam....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2009 8:17 PM BST

Smokin'
Smokin'
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 5.17

4.0 out of 5 stars The Pie Hit Form, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Smokin' (Audio CD)
Following the departure of Peter Frampton, Humble Pie released Smokin' and what an album this is!! Steve Marriott really tkes control on this prodution and takes the band in his bluesy/rock direction.
Great vocals from Marriott and great riffs from himself and Clemson. Really enjoyed this album and it is clear that Humble Pie have influenced many of todays artists such as The Black Crowes, Lenny Kravitz, Paul Weller as well as many other pretenders.
There will never be another like Steve Marriott, he was a great vocalist and he knew how to knock out a good tune too. Its a shame that Humle Pie never really continued this form and that ultimately Marriott was taken away when he still had so much to give.
You will be pleasantly suprised by this album and it shows Steve Marriott at his best and on top of his game.
Treat yourself!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2013 1:45 AM BST

Making Movies
Making Movies
Price: 6.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated Gem, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Making Movies (Audio CD)
This album is a really good album. Its well produced and still sounds fresh today. Tunnel of Love has to be one of their best tunes and the same can be siad of Romeo and Juliet. Only Les Boys prevents this album from gaining five stars. If you like Brothers in Arms, you'll enjoy this album too.

Kite
Kite

5.0 out of 5 stars A genius sadly missed, 30 Nov 2005
This review is from: Kite (Audio CD)
In my opinion this is Kirsty MacColl's finest hour. This is a brilliantly crafted collection of songs. The album combines folk, country and pop music perfectly. MacColl displays her lyrical ability here and the songs are cleverly written, much in the Ray Davies mould. The best known track on the album is probably the version of Davies' classic 'Days'.
There are many great songs here; standout tracks?? Innocence, Don't come the Cowboy with me Sonny Jim! and No victims.
However, all of the songs are great and there are many talented musicians guesting on the album. Notably Johnny Marr, Dave Gilmour and Robbie McIntosh.
You won't be disappointed with this purchase.
Its such a shame that she was took away when she clearly had much more to offer.

Page: 1 | 2