Profile for Aleutia > Reviews

Aleutia (Cornwall UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Fat Of The Land [VINYL]
The Fat Of The Land [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl version add's a new twist to a great album, 30 April 2016
Review for 2 disc LP version.

I'm not going to review the music as there are enough reviews on here,

Having owed this album since it 1st came out & still loving it to this day I decided to go out & buy the 2 disc vinyl version of this album hoping that it would sound better & I'd be able to give this a 5 star review. I put the LP on dropped the needle & to be honest the album was sounding fantastic (as expected) until I got the end of "Side C" & the track Narayan.

The track suddenly stopped & the LP went into it's runout groove. At 1st I thought I was hearing things as I expected the song to stop abruptly at the end & Firestarter would start the next disc. I went back & checked no I wasn't hearing things the song had been cut. I flipped the LP over & started "Side D" & expected to hear Firestarter start, wrong again. Narayan was still playing from exactly the point it stopped (even though the track is listed as Firestarter) for 2 minutes before going into Firestarter. Having had the CD I was used Narayan being a full track so this caught me by surprise.

You can either view this as a total screw up & let it ruin your enjoyment of a great album or you can view it as an extended intro to Firestarter. It's added a different element to this album (for me)

Anthem [Japan Only]
Anthem [Japan Only]

5.0 out of 5 stars The complete package that shows the rest of the world how to release a cd, 22 May 2015
This review is from: Anthem [Japan Only] (Audio CD)
This Japanese only release for all the tracks from the Wildhearts Anthem & Urge singles is a fans dream. You get all the songs that were put onto to multiple formats ( 2cd's & 7" for each single) in one place allowing you to enjoy a separate album accompanying Endless Nameless. What really sets this release apart from the later Endless Nameless Re-issue (2010 in UK which was a huge disappointment compared to this) is all the info inside. You get a 32 page booklet in both English & Japanese with all the info you could want on each of the 12 songs by Ginger. You get stories behind the songs, how they came to be & lyrics in both English & Japanese which make this a far superior addition to any Wildhearts fans collection. Yes some pictures of the rest of the band that were used in the Urge singles & a picture of the Anthem cover would have finished would have made this release even better but it's hard to complain over such a tiny point with all the info in here.

As with Endless Nameless everything on this release is distorted to hell & sounds like white noise when you 1st listen to it. Back when the album 1st came out I loved both singles but found it really hard to listen to all of the album or b-sides in one go. Years later I tried again using a decent set of headphones & lowered the volume a bit & really sat there and listened to the album again & again in the hope that there was something in there I had missed. Once I got past all the white noise I started to hear the beauty of the songs & now I don't even hear the distortion, just the songs. You'll have to bear with this release to really enjoy it as it takes work but it's so worth it. Some of the best songs on here are Anthem (of course) with one of the biggest hooks ever, Urge, White Lies, Fugazi, So Good To Be Back Home. If you are not sure about the Re-issue of Endless Nameless I really would suggest you spend a little more & track down this release.

If only all record companies put this much time & effort into releasing products as Japanese (cd releases) do then we'd have more cd sales worldwide

Tracklist:
Anthem
So Good To Be Back Home
Time To Let You Go
White Lies
The Song Formally Known As?
He's A Whore
Genius Penis
Lost Highway

Edge Of The End
Edge Of The End

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st Deluxe Version Bonus Track. Buy it & compete the Set, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Edge Of The End (MP3 Download)
Extra track for the Deluxe Version of Time & Trauma. If you've already bought the album on CD you might as well get this song here & now (don't bother with I-tunes where you have to buy the whole album to get this track). Complete the set of songs & enjoy a longer a longer album. c'mon you know you want to

I Erase
I Erase

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Deluxe Version Bonus Track. Buy it & compete the Set, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: I Erase (MP3 Download)

Time and Trauma
Time and Trauma
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a vengence, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Time and Trauma (Audio CD)
Take previous album, add some heartache from family losses & crank it up by 10 & you got Time & Trauma. This is 36CF coming back with their most brutal album in years. It's all here Clean & Screaming Vocals, Rumbling Bass, Double Kick Drums & Slamming Guitars (even with the odd solo). The songs are catchy & remain heavy as hell with some killer hooks.

If you already seen 36CF on their recent tour you'll already know how well these new songs sound live. If you haven't, then simply go & buy this album as it's more of the same that you already love. For most it'll be preaching to the converted & 36CF fans will buy this, if you're not sure you could do a lot worse than take a shot on this album.

It's been a long 5 years without 36CF but these guys always deliver. Welcome back guys

Doubt (Bonus DVD)
Doubt (Bonus DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate version of Doubt that still leaves you wanting more, 10 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Doubt (Bonus DVD) (Audio CD)
Jesus Jones Doubt (Expanded Edition)

The packaging: put simply this package has been done with a lot of care & to a high standard. Over the last few years some of the Deluxe issues released by various record labels have been truly awful when it comes to packaging. Example (The Levellers Deluxe versions) CDs were released over 2 discs & with a bonus DVD all within cardboard packaging that was ruined in no time. Inserts that wouldn’t come out, CDs that ripped the cardboard when removed. These packages were not designed to be used repeatedly & all that could be done was rip the CDs to an mp3 format to save the packaging.
Thankfully these are not problems when it comes to the Jesus Jones Deluxe/Expanded editions. Each album is presented like a hard back book with a nice spine that’s sturdy & built to last. Inside there is original album notes as well as new notes from Iain Baker of the band. There is artwork for the various singles as well as small notes from Iain about certain tracks. I would have like to have seen a little more info on songs (regarding recording or how the guys felt about certain songs when played live) but it’s a minor issue. Doubt has song lyrics included which Liquidizer didn’t & I have no idea why that is but as a package it’s hard to fault

Doubt: there really isn’t much to say about the album that hasn’t already been said. It’s dated incredibly well & stripped still kicks ass as much as it did upon release in 1991 (so much so that it blew my dad’s car speakers when we tried to play it loud back in the day). I fell in love with Jesus Jones after hearing Who?, Where?, Why? on the chart show & was blown away by how different the album was to anything I had ever heard. I was brought up on rock music & mainly listen to rock/metal so a whole world of remix’s & dance based tunes was brought to my ears by Jesus Jones.

Disc 1 has the full album doubt plus an extra 9 tracks clocking in at 75 minutes total. All of these tracks have been released before on albums or different formats of singles. Personally I own everything already on disc one but they are worth listening to.

The 1st 2 extra songs (tracks 12/13) are Move Me & Are You Satisfied?, both of these songs featured on the Right Here, Right Now EP released in the UK & on the Japanese release of Doubt. They are both likeable tracks & Move Me has a sample that just screeches out of the speakers like something that’s in agony. Are You Satisfied? is just a straight up JJ song that ended up being inserted onto the US release of the album.

The next 4 tracks (tracks 14-17) are straight up remixes from when 12” mixes were actually parts of the original song mixed together to make something different. On to the remixes. 1st up is Real, Real, Real (Raw 12”Mix) this song bounces along with some different drum patterns & sounds like there are tonnes of ideas wanting to come out all at once. The mix does sound pretty raw which lives up to it’s name. Right Here, Right Now (Martyn Phillips 12”) is next. This is a great remix that slowly draws you in on a bed of Bass, samples & drums before jumping into the main chorus about 90 seconds in. There’s loads of guitar in this mix & the remix finishes where it begins with the Intro being used as an outro of sorts with extra guitar over the top. The following remix is IBYT 12 this mix is very dance oriented & to be honest if it wasn’t done by Jesus Jones I’d probably hate it but there are some great samples & so much going on in this song that almost 20 years later I can hear new things that I haven’t heard before (might have something to do with having better stereo equipment than my 13 year old self had). The last remix is Who?, Where?, Why? (12 foot mix) this mix is the total opposite of IBYT in that there is less going on & due to that it works really well. Most Jesus Jones fans should be able to spot the sample the band used themselves for the song Spiral which ended up on Perverse.

The last 3 tracks on disc one are Welcome Back Victoria (DNA Orchestral mix), Dead People’s Lives & Barry D Next To Cleanliness. Let’s look at Welcome Back Victoria 1st this is really different & starts with an acoustic guitar & whistling before Mike starts singing accompanied by an orchestra. If I am honest when I was a kid I thought it was pretty shit as it wasn’t rocking enough for me, now I’m older I can actually appreciate what is being done. The orchestra definitely adds another colour to the song & I doubt that this could be done with many of their songs. Next up Dead People’s Lives, this is one of the best songs that never made it to an album. It’s catchy as hell & has Iain doing a rap. I would have loved to have heard them do this live & it’s still a highlight of this disc. The Last track is Barry D Next to Cleanliness, I had no idea what this was all about in 1991 & to be honest I still don’t. I can only guess Mike & Iain had a few too many energy drinks before coming up with this track. It sounds like it has 4 songs grafted together to make one sort of track but it’s still fun to listen to all the bizarre samples.

Disc 2 : 19 tracks lasting roughly 70 mins
Tracks 1-10 are a mixture of Remixes & B-sides, Starting with IBYT (Phil Harding 12” mix) this is a cracking mix of this song that lets you hear parts that kind of get lost in the album version due it being shorter. Who?, Where?,Why? (The Crisis 12” mix) the 7” version of this song was the 1st song I ever heard of Jesus Jones & this remix is basically an extended mix of the single mix. It’s a shame that the 7” single version is not on this album as there was space enough to fit it on here but who knows if it’ll turn up in the future on some other release. Right Here, Right Now (Dean Krexa mix) is up next & to be honest for me this has to be one of the worst remix’s that has been released associated with Jesus Jones. It sounded bad back in 1991 when I 1st heard it with some truly awful funk guitar to it & it hasn’t dated well at all. This is the 1st time this mix has been committed to cd & hopefully it’ll be the last. I’m not going to let this song pull down my overall review of this package as for completist ‘s like me it’s nice to have it on a cd even if it really is that bad. Thankfully after that we get back to another track from the RHRN sessions the track is called Damn Good At This & it picks up the pace with some great guitar work by Mike & Jerry along with some sort of sample that sounds like it’s bouncing all over the room & out of the speakers. There is a really nice orchestral breakdown that appears before it bounces back into the track again. Maryland is up next a track from the IBYT single which is really very catchy with a great beat & another personal highlight of mine from the Jesus Jones back catalogue. This was recorded during a time when the band were constantly being pushed for extra tracks for singles & amongst the fan base some of the most popular songs are the ones which weren’t on any album.

The next 2 remixes are for me where things become slightly tedious when it comes to remixes. There isn’t really anything wrong with IBYT (Chaos mix) & Who?, Where?, Why? (Chaos mix) I would have just preferred some more live tracks as I feel that is where Jesus Jones truly excelled. However I don’t know what the copyright issues may have been regarding getting hold of live tracks or what the budget was so I can only re-view what is here. Any way IBYT (Chaos mix) retains all the vocal & a lot of the guitar work so it doesn’t sound too bad. Who?, Where?, Why? (Chaos mix) is a totally different beast retaining only the vocal to make a totally different take on this song. Being a rock fan at times it is hard for me to relate to some of these mixes but liking Jesus Jones meant that at times you were going to get the occasional mix that you just didn’t get & even if I didn’t get it I heard different things which isn’t always a bad thing.

The next 3 songs are songs which didn’t make it on to doubt. Need To Know is a bit of a weird song for Jesus Jones as there is very little guitar work here at all & it’s built on a lot of weird samples that are really hard to describe as well as a lot of drums. This song is from the IBYT single and does glide along without ever really going anywhere. Caricature is Jesus Jones best known B-side & it’s been played live almost constantly since it was written what we have here is the version that was re-recorded for the Japanese release of Perverse. It’s a great track & it’s easy to see why the band love playing this live. If you want the original it’s pretty easy to track down on the Who?, Where?, Why? single. The last of the 3 tracks is Kill Today taken from the Who?, Where?,Why? single, Kill Today is a real short slow punchy track that sounds pretty menacing & gets it’s point across fairly easily.

We then have a real oddity amongst this release a remix of Who?, Where?, Why? (called the 1997 remix). This mix was actually done by Phil Harding & Ian Curnow back in 1991 but lay hidden for many years until it turned up by accident on The Next Big Thing single in 1997. The band didn’t even realise it had been released & as not many people bought this single it passed many people by un-noticed until 3 years ago. I uploaded the track onto you tube as I was convinced I has stumbled across an unreleased unkown mix of the song & sent the link to Iain from the band who confirmed it was a new mix that he hadn’t heard shortly before finding the master tape himself. This so-called remix has the same feel as the IBYT album track that was mixed also by Harding & Curnow, I still think it’s the best version of this song out there as everything is clearer than on the album.

Now we reach the real interesting parts of the album the 4 tracks that no one has heard. 1st up we get Barry D #2 which apparently was played live a few times. This song has a feel of beat it down to it & re-uses the great chicken in your under ware sample. Next up is Janet (Real, Real, Real demo) this is an instrumental demo for the song & gives you the basic idea of what the track was at the beginning of the writing process. It’s always interesting to hear how much some songs change from demo form to final album cut. Following this we are treated another lost mix Real, Real, Real (Ben Chapman 7” mix) this is a pretty different version of the song & you can clearly hear a lot of the things that went into the 12” mix that was released. Lastly we have Crispin (12 track demo) this song is the instrumental demo version for Damn Good At This. What’s great about this track is as there are no vocals you can hear everything going on in the song. This track leaves you wanting to hear more instrumental songs as often with Jesus Jones there is so much going on that it can get lost in the mixing process.

The last four tracks on this cd are taken from a BBC Radio One Session, This is where Jesus Jones show how good they really are as a live band. With all the studio work stripped away these live songs are allowed to breathe & you can actually hear what is going on with Al on Bass & Gen on drums. IBYT sounds truly massive in this context as does Right Here, Right Now from this session. Someone To Blame is totally stripped back & sounds nothing like the Liquidizer version which is really chaotic, this version although quieter is equally as menacing. The Last track is Trust Me which just explodes out of the speakers & is over almost as soon as it’s begun all in under 2 mins. It’s the closest Jesus Jones come to a hardcore punk track & good way to end disc 2.

Doubt DVD : The Doubt DVD comes with a feast of Music videos, TV apperances, Interviews & Live tracks. Again by the end of this DVD you’ll be left craving for more of all of the above so lets look at what we do have on offer. 1st up are the videos for the singles the 1st of which is the UK version of Real, Real, Real which if you’ve probably seen on You Tube, MTV or god knows where so I’m not going to go on about it. The 2nd video is a real rare video that I can’t say I have ever seen it’s Real, Real Real (US 12”) I’ve seen the edited video of this on You Tube but not the 12” mix version. This video is quite good as you see a lot of Gen in it who mainly gets left in the background due to being sat at his drum kit.

The next 3 videos are all videos anyone who was familiar with doubt will know. IBYT, Who?, Where?, Why? & Right Here, Right Now. The videos have dated surprisingly well over time. The next 3 videos are all appearances from Top of the pops. We have Real, Real, Real, IBYT, & Who?,Where?, Why? These videos do seem dated but hey, it’s Top of the pops & for those of us that didn’t have Sky TV, this was our only exposure to Jesus Jones. You have to love the miming on these videos as well as watching Iain’s dancing. We then get a TV interview with Mike & Iain on Saturday morning kids show going live, this is something you’ll only end up watching once but even now you still end up wishing you were the lucky person to win all the prizes. Also from Going Live is a performance of IBYT mimed to perfection like nearly all TV shows.

For the DVD extra’s you also get a 30 second TV advert for Doubt which I can’t say I ever saw. There is also a 20 min promo interview with both Mike & Iain about the band history as well as the recording of songs on the album. I’m not sure if it’s the quality of the video footage but I swear Iain has serious amounts of make up on (If I’m wrong sorry Iain).

As with the Liquidizer DVD the best is saved till last. Again we have some live tracks from Mikes personal footage that leave you wishing there was some top quality footage out there with soundboard sound from this era. I was too young to attend these shows & had only heard the Town & Country club show on a Radio One live broadcast so this is great to finally see but makes me realise what I missed out on. The 1st live video is Two & Two, this video looks like it was shot from the camera pit in front of the barriers & it does give a different view with some great shots of Mike with his trusty Telecaster as well as Al head banging away like a possessed man. You simply cannot do anything other than smile at watching Mike go all guitar hero with his arms aloft facing his amp whilst his amp is feeding back as the song starts again. The sound is pretty good for a camcorder & doesn’t sound distorted at all.

The next video is I’m burning from the Town & Country Club. This video is shot from further back & shows more of the whole band again the sound is pretty good & you get to see lots of Iain running around the stage as well as a pretty good version of the song that ends up sounding better than on record. The best has really been saved till last as we are hit with a double whammy of Bring it on Down & Stripped. The energy levels during Bring it on Down are great with Iain, running riot, Jerry throwing guitar poses, Al Head banging, Gen pounding the hell out of his drum kit whilst Mike is all over the place. Mid song Bring it on Down gives way to Stripped (which was rarely played live). This sounds amazing & it’s all strobe lights & samples which really add to the effect of the song, during this point the band are just going mental. Eventually Bring it on Down returns & it’s high energy & lots of coloured lights all over the stage. This song would sound 10x better if the audio was from the Radio broadcast. Sadly just as you’re getting into the live tracks it stops & You’ll find yourself screaming at the screen in disbelief wanting more. I know they say leave your audience wanting more but this is pure torture for us fans.

To sum up this package: It’s a great look back at Jesus Jones most well-known album with lots of pictures, notes & unseen/unheard of tracks. Could there be more unreleased material? I don’t know. Could there have been 1 or 2 other remixes (that were released) thrown onto the cd’s to fill them up? Sure there could have been but then the Cd’s would have been in danger of becoming really mundane as who wants to hear 5 remixes of same song on same cd. Yes some of the remixes sound awfully dated & I would have liked more live tracks but as I didn’t put this package together my opinion doesn’t count.

With this package Jesus Jones have clearly left us wanting more & lets hope in time there is more to come from this era as there are many TV/Live performances floating around on You Tube. Apart from one awful remix this is a wonderful look back at a great time for Jesus Jones that brings back many great memories 10/10.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2015 11:16 PM GMT

Liquidizer (Bonus DVD)
Liquidizer (Bonus DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars leaves you hungry for more, 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Liquidizer (Bonus DVD) (Audio CD)
Jesus Jones Liquidizer expanded.

The packaging: put simply this package has been done with a lot of care & to a high standard. Over the last few years some of the Deluxe issues released by various record labels have been truly awful when it comes to packaging. Example (The Levellers Deluxe versions) CDs were released over 2 discs & with a bonus DVD all within cardboard packaging that was ruined in no time. Inserts that wouldn't come out, CDs that ripped the cardboard when removed. These packages were not designed to be used repeatedly & all that could be done was rip the CDs to an mp3 format to save the packaging.

Thankfully these are not problems when it comes to the Jesus Jones Deluxe/Expanded editions. Each album is presented like a hard back book with a nice spine that's sturdy & built to last. Inside there is original album notes as well as new notes from Iain Baker of the band. There is artwork for the various singles as well as small notes from Iain about certain tracks. I would have like to have seen a little more info on songs (regarding recording or how the guys felt about certain songs when played live) but it's a minor issue. Liquidizer doesn't have any song lyrics included which the other 3 releases have & have no idea why that is but as a package it's hard to fault

1st CD is 72 mins long and contains 21 tracks, we'll jump straight into the extras as we all know the main album by now: the 1st 4 extra songs are "All the answers, Norman (move mountains), Cut & Dried and What Would You Know" from a BBC radio 1 session. What really stands out from these songs and how they appear in the album is... In session these songs really punch you in the face with their rawness, the whole sound is pretty brutal in a non heavy metal way especially Cut & Dried which just snarls like a cornered animal. The last 5 songs on disc 1 are made up from a US import EP called live. The tracks are "Move Mountains, What's Going On, Barry D, Broken Bones & Song 13". Whilst it lacks the punch of the Radio 1 sessions you cannot fault the clarity of the recordings, energy the band play with or the crowd noise which adds to these recordings. It only leaves you wanting more and wishing that this whole concert is lurking away in a dusty corner of Iain's loft (ready to be revealed when the time is right as it's a great ep) if you've not heard these tracks before then you're in for a treat especially the rarer tracks like "Broken Bones and Barry D.

Disc 2 : 17 tracks 72 mins. The 1st 3 songs are made up from B-sides to "Info Freako". 1st up is Broken Bones a track which was an extra track on the US release of Liquidizer as well as a B-side. This track could have easily slotted in on the album and is one of Jesus Jones quicker songs. "Info Sicko" is up next and is a pretty standard remix (from that period of time) adding roughly 2 mins onto original song like most 12" mixes of the day did. Track #3 is "Info Psycho" a track which is driven by a monster envelope filtered bass line that squelch's & almost farts it's way through the whole song along with various bleeps and born to be a skate boy sample.

The Next set of tracks 4-6 are taken from the B-sides to the Never Enough single: Track #4 is "Enough- Never Enough" this song sounds like everything has been recorded in the red & distorted to the max. Mike sounds at times like he's totally losing control on the vocals creating a really great alternative version of Never Enough" Track #5 "It's the winning that counts" is a catchy B-side which sits nicely amongst the overall feel of the album. Track #6 "What's Going On (Extended)" This track contains 20 seconds extra & sounds like it was either recorded live in the studio or for a radio session. Again it has a very nice raw sound that makes it sound so different from the studio version.

Tracks 7-10 are from the "Bring it on down" B-sides. Track #7 "None of the answers" is an instrumental that drifts along on a classic piano/keyboard hook & filled with samples of what sound like news bites. Track #8 "Cut & Dried" a great song that somehow didn't make the album (no idea why?) Track #9 "Beat it on down" an interesting B-side that seems to be buzzing with numerous ideas. This track has a very sinister feel to it with thundering bass & pounding drums midway through the song there is a middle eastern riff that comes completely at odds to the rest of the track but somehow just works. Track # 10 "Bring it on down (Liquidized mix)". If I am honest this track is hard going at 10 minutes long & begins to drag after a while as it seems to lose its way.

Track #11 is "I don't want that kind of love" from the Food Xmas EP, as it's a cover song it's kind of hard to judge due to not knowing the original but there is very little guitar in the song. Track #12 "Move Mountains (Ben Chapman mix)" someone somewhere really dropped the ball on this track, what we actually have is the studio version of this song. If you have Jesus Jones Never Enough (the best of) then Move Mountains (Ben Chapman mix) is on that CD. It's a shame that this happened but it doesn't massively affect the overall feeling of the package or disc.

Tracks 13-17 are the real gold here. If you've heard all the other songs because you bought the singles many years ago then these songs are what you're really interested in. Track #13 "Bring it on down (unheard David Motion version)". This is a great alternative version of Bring it on down, the chorus & 1 or 2 lyrics are about the only things that stayed the same. The vocals for some reason sound like they were recorded at half speed, musically it's a different beast to the album version but it bounces along pretty well. Track #14 "All the answers in 3 & a half minutes (unheard David Motion Mix) This version of the song is very similar to the album version but there are differences to be heard, again the vocals sound at half speed but overall both songs are worth listening to. Track #15 "What's going on (rough mix)" I think this is the instrumental version of What's Going On (extended). What works about this is due to lack of vocals you can hear more of what is going on with the guitar parts and samples. Track #16 "The Real World (Monitor mix)" there really isn't much to say about this version other than it's really clear & the mix is great. On a personal note I'd love to know if there are more monitor mixes of other Liquidizer songs out there just to hear the difference on other tracks. Track #17 "Info Freako (Demo #3)"a very basic raw demo of what would become the 1st single Jesus Jones would release. This is an instrumental that sounds like it's all reference points for the what would become the final song.

Overall the extra's on these discs make the Liquidizer era complete. I just wish that there were a few more Live songs out there instead of remixes, if you've bought all the singles in various formats then you've got lots of these songs already even though not all have been committed to cd. My own personal view is that Disc 1 should have the album & all non-album tracks on it to make it sound more coherent but what do I know? The real thing that makes these packages totally worth the money are the DVD's

The Liquidizer DVD is 11 tracks long comprised of videos & live tracks from mikes personal recordings. Tracks 1-3 are the 3 videos for "Info Freako, Never Enough & Bring it on down" I'm not going to review the videos as most fans have already seen them on you tube, never enough DVD or on the "Big in Alaska" VHS video (anyone remember them?).

So the 1st video we have never seen is "I don't want that kind of love", I spent the whole video laughing at how bad it was. Jerry was apparently hung over so didn't make the video shoot so the boys just got on with it & went for it. Whoever came up for the idea for this video must have had a budget of about £20 (back then) & spent about 5 minutes on a concept. The video looks like it was made in one of those booths that where in shopping malls where you could make your own pop video for next to nothing. The band are blatently taking the piss out this by playing guitars backwards walking around the booth & Iain with some sort of cane?? It is pretty amusing to watch even if the quality is dire. Track #5 "I don't want that kind of love (version 2)" this time Jerry had turned up & it's more of the same from the 1st video. What does stand out is seeing Mike have fun something that isn't really seen in other videos as he always appears moody (Sorry mike).

The highlight of this package is the 6 Live tracks from the "Town & Country Club" in 1990. The video footage is pure bootleg camcorder from back when camcorders where about the size of a suitcase. Nowdays we all accept that someone somewhere is filming a show on a phone or camera but back in 1990 this wasn't the case. These tracks have so much energy & contain 3 b-sides that were soon to disappear from the sets & a pre doubt recording of Who? Where? Why?. Hearing/seeing "Damn good at this, Are you satisfied? & Broken Bones" Live really is worth the price of this whole package alone. The other songs included are "Song 13, Who?, Where?, Why?, What would you know" all the songs are played with lots of enthusiasm & again it leaves you hoping that somewhere there is a recording of these songs waiting to be mixed and released. The beauty of these live videos is that you can hear more of what the individual members are playing than on the album itself.

The thing that really stands out regarding this whole package is how much time & effort has been put into the finished product to make it worth every penny. I knew these releases where coming out a few months before (from Iain telling me & was sworn to silence) so I have been dying to see how it all turned out & for a diehard fan like me this release massively surpassed my expectations.

If you're curious about Jesus Jones go out & buy it you won't be disappointed. If you already have Liquidizer don't think of it as buying Liquidizer again because what you are actually buying is a whole ton of extras from rare DVD footage to all those B-sides, remixes & live sessions in one place 10/10 or 5 star from me
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2015 11:05 PM GMT

Industrial Sound and Magic
Industrial Sound and Magic
Offered by dsales13

5.0 out of 5 stars Recorded in a Cow shed ??? Really ......, 19 Aug. 2013
As legend has it this album was recorded in a Cow Shed in Essex on a budget of nothing with a little help from his friends (The Levellers).

I came across Rev Hammer after hearing The levellers cover "maid of the river & Searchlights" as well as seeing him perform with Mark, Jon & Simon (from the levellers) as Drunk In Public in 2002. That night was the first time I had ever heard Rev sing any of his own songs some of which are from this album : Punch Drunk, California Bound, Caledonia Rain & Down By The River O'. This is a great album but for me Freeborn John will always be his best.

As for the album it has all sorts: mid paced folk rock, old style rock n roll with catchy guitar hooks, busking type songs, Traditional folk, Drunken blues with some surprisingly tasteful slide guitar (by Mark Chadwick) through to Punk Rock,

As for the Levellers input on this album, they do a brilliant job of adding textures to the songs (when needed) & if you didn't know this featured them you'd never really guess (apart from a few backing vocals). The album is a bit on the short side but then this was recorded in 1991 before way too many artists put length of time over quality. There are no fillers on this album & with it being so short it means you can easily leave it on repeat without realising that you've started all over again. This album doesn't have the chance to drag & is a really enjoyable album that I wish I had discovered many years sooner

Having come to this album in 2013 years after it was released & finally being able to get a copy on cd I did notice there are a hell of a lot of similarities between the violin parts on "Shuttin the ole dirt down" & Broken Circles on The Levellers self titled album in 1993. If I had to pick 2 songs to highlight the album it would be Down By The River O & the really beautiful Caledonia Rain.

Live
Live

3.0 out of 5 stars Japan Mini Album (not the full 14 track release), 19 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
The only reason I bought this cd was to add to my 311 collection. You won't find anything different here (on this release compared to the full live cd) other than, different art work, an obi strip, lyric booklet & 8 tracks instead of 14 (on the full cd) mixed up into a different running order.

As for the music, If your a fan of 311's earlier work then you should have a pretty good idea of what your going to get Rap, rock, hip hop & reggae all mixed up. All the songs where recorded in New Orleans on the Transistor tour in 1997 & sound pretty clear.

Tracks include : Freak Out, Homebrew, Misdirected Hostility, Down, Light Years, Beautiful Disaster, Applied Science & Feels So Good. As much as I love 311 you'd getter better value out of the full length album

Heavy Metal Music
Heavy Metal Music
Offered by Preowned Discs Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Heavy Metal Music (Audio CD)
This album is so refreshing, Jason has looked backwards in order to go forwards with this release. It's all here , Double kick drums, Distorted Bass, huge guitars (solo's & catchy melodies). Jason's voice is as good as the metal EP hinted at. This album doesn't drag, there aren't any album fillers or half assed songs here. It's simply an old school metal feel that's been dragged in to the modern day, all of the songs on here are allowed to breathe & you can here everything that is going on. This is hands down the best mixed album I have heard in a long time, it doesn't have all of the other issues like Death Magnetic (terrible mix)did. The production & mixing are 1st class making this an album that doesn't hurt your ears like a lot of recent releases have.

This album has been played on my home stereo, in my car, on my mp3 player & phone, It sounds great on all of these systems & that's good enough for me. This is a great 1st album & hopefully Newsted will go onto make better albums, as for a 5 star album it's good but not a out and out classic. Too many people just say 5 star to everything (how can you compare this to Master of Puppets, Blood Mountain, The Blackening, or any other albums that where way above anything else).

With the quality of song writing here from Jason it makes you wonder, what if metallica had actually written more with Jason,
how would things have turned out ? we'll never know the answer to that one & judging by this album it doesn't matter. Jason is back doing what he does best & that's all that matters.

If you like Heavy Metal Music then you should add this to your collection as it simply is... Heavy Metal Music
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2013 3:46 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2