ARRAY(0xa72802d0)

Content by Pokergrrl

Pokergrrl (Essex, England)

Price: 99.00

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, 2 Dec 2013
Only had this a few days but played about on it enough to give a review. I'll start with the bad point - just one - its a little bit heavy. I suppose I was expecting iPad mini weight, but this is a bit more heavier. Nonetheless, it is still a great tablet and one I hope I will be using for years.

Good points - very easy to use, all set up with my account so all my cloud items were available. Connected to wifi easily too. Bought a book within a couple of days and it was all seamless. Primarily bought this to watch videos as, as tablets go, this was a good price with good reviews. It doesn't disappoint. Had to reconvert a few videos though as have previously watched films on my iPhone - the screen is a lot bigger so the quality needs to be better, hence reason to reconvert. Have put on about 10 films and 6 episodes of a TV show...and I still have 4GBs of space left. I was concerned about the 16GB size but no issues at all as I can fit more on there if needed.

All in all, a good buy, and at 99 you can't argue. The quality of the screen is great. Bought a cheap case (cheap as in price, not in quality) that is magnetised so when you close it the screen goes off, and when you open it the screen comes one.

The other thing to mention is the special offers - this has only appeared to me in the lock screen. I thought it would be annoying but it really isn't. In fact, I clicked on one of the offers and it was for a 10 gift voucher for setting up a new 1-click payment method. Can't complain as I buy off Amazon all the time!

Gets 4 stars instead of 5 just because of the weight issue.

Speaker Boost
Speaker Boost
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Speaker Boost (App)
I'm not sure if I am being dumb, but for me this did not work. I only used it on the video player app but it made no difference to the volume.

VLC for Kindle Beta(Kindle Tablet Edition)
VLC for Kindle Beta(Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Puts videos out of sync!, 2 Dec 2013
I converted a load of videos for my new Kindle Fire but a few of them when played through VLC are out of sync - the voice comes but the mouths don't move until a few seconds later! I thought this was my fault in the way I converted the videos (and it still might be), but then I played the videos through the Kindle video player and they all played perfectly fine. I don't know why I just didn't use their own video player before instead of using VLC. Plus, VLC seems to have a lower volume setting compared to the Kindle one (this was actually annoying as I downloaded a volume increasing app, that consequently didn't actually work, but I have now deleted it as the Kindle video player is loud enough).

Anyway, I am a fan of VLC on a Mac/Pc but this one for the Kindle needs a bit more work.

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro (8GB RAM, 750GB HDD)
Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro (8GB RAM, 750GB HDD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy transition from Windows, 23 July 2013
After mulling over getting a new Windows laptop for ages, I couldn't decide as they all had good points and bad points. Checking reviews of the MacBook, all reviews were good. No brainer in that case, so after most of my computer life as a Windows user, I entered the world of Mac.

This is a very good and powerful machine. Very quick to set up, connected to my home network fast and I transferred the 100 or so GB from my old laptop to the MacBook within 24 hours (via wifi).

As a Windows user, the Mac OS is very easy to get acclimatized to. There are obvious differences and still natural things I do that are Windows commands, but I'm sure it won't be long until everything is second nature.

The actual machine is a nice size and not too heavy (lighter than my old Acer). When you switch it on, you can be online within 90 seconds. That is super fast for me.

All in all, this MacBook Pro is great. I am glad I made the transition to Mac, and it is not as daunting as I first thought. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a quality, reliable machine.

SwitchEasy TONES Plastic Case for iPhone 5 - Black
SwitchEasy TONES Plastic Case for iPhone 5 - Black
Offered by total digital stores
Price: 16.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart!, 27 April 2013
Lovely case, looks smart, feels sturdy, exactly what I wanted. Its comes with screen protectors but I messed up putting them on so didn't bother! Anyway, its a brilliant case and great value compared to anything similar on the oh-so-expensive Apple website ;).

Bridesmaids (Blu-ray + DVD) [Region Free]
Bridesmaids (Blu-ray + DVD) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Kristen Wiig
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Bridesmaids, 11 Sep 2012
I did not see the trailer for this film, but from reading other reviews I get the impression viewers were expecting laugh-out-loud hilarity. Not the case. It's more of a slow burner. But that's not a bad thing.

The premise of the story is based around Annie (Kristen Wiig) who is maid of honour for her best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph). But it's when Lillian introduces Annie to her new friend Helen (Rose Byrne) that the drama and rivalry ensues. They compete for who can impress Lillian the most. Annie goes on a path of destruction, losing her job, getting kicked out of her flat, messing up her romantic relationships and losing her best friend. But, of course, she turns it all around (would be quite a depressing film if she didn't!).

There are some excellent moments in the film and excellent characters. Annie's flat mates Brynn and Gil (Rebel Wilson and Matt Lucas) are this odd brother and sister from England who decide to chuck Annie out of the flat because they think they are too old to live together with a flat-mate - so they are going to live together, alone (work that one out!). They actually look like brother and sister, so the casting is spot on.

Megan (Melissa McCarthy, Molly from Mike and Molly) is one of the bridesmaids and the brides' sister-in-law to be, and she is hilarious as a character and an actress. The way she delivers her lines is dry and perfectly timed.

What I think disappointed most viewers is the fact that the film is not full of running jokes. However, what I enjoyed most about the film was the realism to certain situations, the awkwardness when you first meet someone, where you talk over each other and babble on. The scripting is like this throughout with deadpan humour and quiet sarcasm, coupled with non-obvious jokes and character discomfort.

If you want to categorise it, I would say it is a black comedy but nothing much like The Hangover (as others have compared it to). Yes it is a long film, but don't let that put you off (whilst I was watching I looked down at the timer thinking I had been watching it for about half an hour - I had actually been watching about an hour and 20 minutes). It is also quite crude in places but for me these were the laugh out loud moments.

It's rare that a film of this calibre gets Oscar nominated, but even though it didn't win in the two categories, it is definitely worthy of the accolades.

The Lake House [DVD] [2006]
The Lake House [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves
Offered by CP UK And Global LTD
Price: 2.87

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lake House, 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Lake House [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
I am a big fan of Sandra Bullock and always enjoy her films, especially The Proposal (which happens to be one of my all time faves). The Lake House is another of her great films, a lovely, magical romantic drama.

Its focuses on Kate (Bullock) and Alex (Reeves) who develop a relationship through writing letters to eachother - the problem is, Kate is in 2006 and Alex is in 2004. The "portal" so to speak, is The Lake House, and the letter box is the way they communicate.

The Lake House was built by Alex's father and has almost a "cold" feeling to it, and as Alex describes, it's incomplete. He has a strained relationship with his father and this is evident in the fact he hadn't seen him for 4 years. However, when they meet up again, you feel that there is a wanting from them both to have a relationship. Alex obviously admires his father's work as he is fascinated and intrigued with the Lake House. Being such an unusual building (made mainly of glass) it was clearly special to his father aswell. Unfortunately, his work made him cold towards his family. The irony is that even though Alex and his father did not get on, it was through the Lake House that he built that made Alex and Kate meet, which although not intentional, brought his son happiness.

Kate is a lonely character and dedicating so much of her life to her work, she struggles to find someone. You feel like she is going to "settle" as she believes that if you're not careful, you can spend your whole life waiting for someone special. She is a dedicated doctor, but you can see in her eyes, in her whole being, that she is not happy.

Both Bullock and Reeves are great in this film. Bullock especially shines as you know and feel exactly what Kate is thinking just by the expressions on her face.

Some other reviewers have said that the film is confusing. There are parts that make you think, but the way the film goes, it all makes sense in the end. I am not really sure about the holes in the plot - it is a completely mystical, escapist film. It doesn't matter if there are holes because you just get taken in by both characters. You so badly want them to meet properly and, for me personally, that part of the film is so captivating.

A great film, a lovely and original storyline, slightly cheesy at points, but all in all very, very enjoyable.

Beauty Shop [DVD]
Beauty Shop [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alicia Silverstone
Price: 5.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Beauty Shop, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: Beauty Shop [DVD] (DVD)
I am a big fan of Queen Latifah and rate Last Holiday, The Bone Collector and Bringing Down The House as great films with great performances by her. However, I was slightly disappointed with Beauty Shop. Even though Latifah's character and role in the film is well acted and funny, the back up cast do let it down a little and there isn't too much of a strong storyline.

The basic idea is that Latifah decides to open her own hair salon after being unappreciated and taken advantage of by her boss (Kevin Bacon). That's basically it. You see the ups and downs that she goes through, but the actual main parts that make the story come across as rushed - a lot of the dialogue is generalised to the day to day life in the salon, and this takes up the majority of the film. The interesting parts just aren't elaborated enough.

The ending hasn't exactly got a twist, or not something I would call a twist, but it does finish the film off nicely. However, this "twist" along with the other significant parts of the film should have had more put into them.

Overall, Beauty Shop is quite watchable and funny, with a couple of laugh out loud moments. Unfortunately though, it does seem to plod along and loses the significant storylines into the background.

Girl, Interrupted [DVD] [2000]
Girl, Interrupted [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Winona Ryder
Offered by Helen's Goodies
Price: 7.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Girl, Interrupted, 19 Mar 2012
I first saw this film when it came out in the cinema and loved it so much I went back for a 2nd viewing. Since owning the DVD, I have probably seen it about another 10 times. The first thing that pulled me into this film was Angelina Jolie's character, Lisa. In a similar way, this is how she pulls in Susannah (Winona Ryder) into becoming her friend and making her useless without her. Jolie is hypnotic with her persona, her words, her eyes. She pulls the viewer into her way of thinking, making it seem easy for us, and Susannah, to be taken in by her. But its a cover, and you know its a cover, but you just can't help it.

Watching Susannah struggle with life in a mental institution, breaking down and coming out the other side is fascinating and inspiring. I first saw this film at a time when I didn't know which way my life was going, but seeing the struggles, the ups and downs, the hurt and the pain, it helped me see a clearer picture of my own life.

The cast are absolutely astounding and all play their roles well. The late and great Brittany Murphy did a brilliant portrayal of a very sad, confused and hurt individual. Her scenes with Jolie and Ryder were intense. But out of one of these scenes came my favourite quote from Lisa (Jolie) - "They didn't release you 'cause you're better, Daisy, they just gave up". Evil, funny, bittersweet.

With a long line of famous names joining Ryder, Jolie and Murphy including Whoopi Goldberg, Vanessa Redgrave, Jared Leto, Clea Duvall, Jeffrey Tambor, they are all brilliant in their roles.

Whilst set in a mental institution, it is clear that Susannah is "driving herself crazy" and is there mainly for the fact that she is not following the normal ideal that the majority of society are following. That the pressure to conform can actually make you go insane? Certainly.

Susannah's struggle is inspirational and in the end, positive. The film spoke to me personally, and even 12 years later it still has the same effect. Great story, great actors and, in my opinion, an absolute classic.