Profile for Hippy Sal > Reviews

Hippy Sal

HTC Wildfire S Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black
HTC Wildfire S Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black
Offered by Technomobiles

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, but not for more demanding users, 5 July 2012
It has all the smartphone functions you want but the cheap price comes AT A price.

And that price, folks, is lack of internal memory.

For those that just wnat to make calls and text, the phone is great. But if you want to put more than a few apps on it, then think again.

The phone has just 150Mb of internal memory, which is very poor by modern standards. I managed to load about forty apps on to it and successfully managed to migrate some of them to my 16Gb SD card. However, many apps cannot be transferred and must remain on the phone. And trust me when I say that 150Mb ain't enough! Matters are made worse by the fact that downloading and unpacking a new app requires some 25Mb of space internally, so in actual fact the phone is 125Mb internally. A few updates will quickly fill that 25Mb you left spare and, hey presto! No more apps for you!

You will then have the task of uninstalling an app in order to reinstall another one. A situation which is just ridiculous.

The phone is smaller than feels comfortable in the hand, but that is dependent on the size of your hands! Not really a guy phone.

I got this phone on a real cheap deal from T-Mobile, but it is very limited. At the price I couldn't say no, and I had upgraded from a venerable G1, so it is a nice change. But now I've reached the limit of what it can do for me I think it is time for a change.

SUMMARY: Great as a basic phone. Don't expect to get many apps on to it, though, no matter how big an SD card you might have.

A Matter For Men (The War Against The Chtorr Book 1)
A Matter For Men (The War Against The Chtorr Book 1)
by David Gerrold

5.0 out of 5 stars How alien invasion would probably actually progress., 10 Jan 2012
Forget Independence Day! This is how an alien invasion of our world would most likely happen. Not with a bang, but with a slow, insidious replacement of our ecology with that of another world.

The book (and its sequels) are sometimes difficult to read. The hero is fallible and prone to doing what needs to be done, regardless of the consequences. As a result, his mental state goes up and down over the course of the books, which always leave you thinking about the alien ecology and what is going on.

If I have any criticism of the series it is that it is not finished and Mr Gerrold seems in no hurry to finish it. I am left wondering if this series will end up like The Wheel of Time, namely being finished by another author. I hope not, since I doubt anyone could get the tone right. But four books in 25 years is slow writing. I know he's done a ton of other stuff, but still... Here's hoping it will be finished eventually.

All in all though, a fine piece of work, highly recommended.

The Dark Tower
The Dark Tower
by Stephen King

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fitting end to an epic series, 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Dark Tower (Paperback)
Not entirely sure I can add to what others have already said about this final installment in the Dark Tower sequence. It's most definitely a worthy finish to the series. If you're reading this then the chances are you've already read the other books in the set but, if not, I urge you to go and read those first, and get hold of any missing ones you may have skipped over.

A long series like this is a trial as much for the reader as it is for the characters in the story and, I suspect, as much of a trial for Mr King himself over the years. There is always a feeling of loss at the end of a series, when you realize there may be no more stories about your favourite characters, but there is also relief that it is, at last, over.

As the saying goes "All good things must come to an end."

Bravo Mr King. It's a series destined to go down as one of the greats of modern fantasy. Let's hope the rumored TV serialisation and movies turn out half so good, if they turn up at all!

Altered Carbon (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Altered Carbon (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars A gritty vision of the future, 13 Dec 2011
I'll admit to being a fan of Richard Morgan's work, especially the scifi series. He writes with a sense of gritty realism that totally draws the reader in to the world inhabited by Kovacs, the main protagonist. I've rarely felt so engaged by scifi. Even another favorite of mine, Peter Hamilton, though excellent, does not draw me in so deeply.

This novel, and the series it belongs to, follows the adventures of Takashi Kovacs, a cop-cum-mercenary. One of the nice things I like about the series is that each book has a different focus. The first is more of a detective story, enjoyable and fun, introducing us to the future as envisaged by Mr Morgan. The second book in the series takes things to a more military level. There's lots of hardware on offer and plenty of scope for Morgan to expand his universe. The final book goes down the route of alien contact, offering glimpses of the dim past and future. So the series really provides something for pretty much any scifi fan to get their teeth into.

Very favorably impressed with the author. I hope he returns to the scifi universe of Kovacs again in the future.

The Steel Remains (Gollancz)
The Steel Remains (Gollancz)
by Richard Morgan

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting diversion from his scifi works, 13 Dec 2011
I'm a fan of Richard Morgans scifi novels, so I thought I'd give his first fantasy effort a try. I can say I'm favorably impressed! It doesn't sit quite as well whilst you are reading it as his scifi works, but that may be just because I'm so used to the futuristic settings he writes about. I still think that scifi is his forte, but he acquits himself well with this genre too.

If I have any niggles it may be that the characters seem a little too larger than life, but then, it is fantasy, after all, so realism is not a requirement. However the book reads very well and I'm looking forwards to the sequel.

I'm going to nitpick at Amazon's page for this book, however. How can you tell if a book has a story you might be interested in, if the product description is entirely made up of quotes from reviewers? A new reader, coming across this for the first time will see that the book has lots of praise, but have no idea what its about? That just seems wrong to me. I suspect the blame for that lies entirely with the publisher, rather than Amazon. Perhaps they thought that the book would be a hard sell to his scifi readers?

Anyway, that aside, the book is entertaining and worthwhile. It's not your vanilla fantasy epic, that's for sure!