Profile for JG78 > Reviews

JG78

Unequal Affections: A Pride and Prejudice Retelling
Unequal Affections: A Pride and Prejudice Retelling

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read., 15 Feb. 2015
I enjoyed this book. I thought the author wrote well and the story flowed nicely. I enjoyed the way the characters developed throughout and importantly they felt believable. My only gripe would be that it felt a little rushed towards the end but as I couldn't wait to finish the book, it might just be me wanting more.

Austenland [DVD] [2013]
Austenland [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Keri Russell

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I liked this film, I really did. It was an enjoyable watch and a pretty fair adaptation of the book.

But, and it's a big but. I might have given it five stars if it wasn't for one pretty major flaw. The lead actress. I'm really sorry to say this but there was just no animation in her and it left me wondering why anyone would be attracted to her character at all.
Maybe Kerri Russell is a bigger name in America and the idea was to get someone who might pull in the viewers but she just does not work in the character. To be honest, her character just made me feel little flat and it made me feel a little angry that the producers put someone in the role who seemed to act like she really didn't want to be in the film.

It might not be a classic, but anyone enjoying regency drama might like this as a change.

Mary, Mary, Not So Ordinary: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice Continues... (The Adventures of Miss Mary Bennet Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good beginning, but let down by the last two thirds of the book, 18 Jan. 2014
I did enjoy this story, but only until I got about one third in when for some reason it turned into a melodrama which never quite seemed to fit.

I agree I liked the transformation of the character of Mary,and I could see this as a real possibility.

However, new characters for me were introduced but never quite developed and with one in mind in particular, I was left wondering at the end of the book why the character was even written in the first place. Without giving spoilers, I think the author tried to get us to second guess ourselves with what we thought might happen to keep us interested. Herein lies the problem. I think I would have found what I thought was going to happen far more interesting than what actually did.

I am glad I purchased this book, but by the end, I felt like I had read two different stories from two different authors.

Me To You Dog Advent Calendar Dog Treat
Me To You Dog Advent Calendar Dog Treat

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful product, 11 Dec. 2013
I have never before given a 1 star before but I am afraid for this product I have to.
To be fair, delivery was quick and it was well packaged but the product itself is not good. The chocolates do not come out of the slots no matter how hard you push through and you end up destroying all of the other doors around it just to get what is now broken chocolate out of the tray.
Maybe it was just me but I also could not find a use by date on this product and the back of the chocolates looked a little off to me (with this I can only stress it was my opionion).
After five days, we have thrown this item in the bin and I have searched locally for a replacement. .

Snow White: A Tale of Terror [DVD]
Snow White: A Tale of Terror [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sigourney Weaver
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good interpetation of a classic children's story, 7 Aug. 2013
Having caught the ending of this film on a late night tv channel, I was intruiged enough to purchase the DVD and I'm glad i did.

The simplicity of this film is what makes it an enjoyable watch and I think the story benefited from the filming not trying to be an over the top Hollywood production. As others have pointed out, this is not a telling of a disney story but took it's influence from the story by the Brothers Grimm, containing enough dark elements to keep it from being to schmaltzy. What mades this film for me was the acting which I personally felt was just right from all the lead actors, not just Sigourney Weaver.