Profile for G.Malina > Reviews

Content by G.Malina

G.Malina "Malina" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ozeri Ultra Thin Professional Digital Kitchen Food Scale, in Elegant Stainless Steel
Offered by Ozeri UK
Price: 25.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Total waste of money, broke after 1 month, 11 July 2013
I used this maybe once or twice a day. There were a few glitches here and there that I just brushed off. ( e.g. it would not turn off at one point. Another time it did not 'tare' down to 0. ) A few days ago it stopped switching on and just showed an error message. Because it's been over a month since I ordered it I can no longer return it! WASTED MONEY. Because I'm in the middle of a exercise and diet programme (hence the buy in the first place) this is a huge blow to my plans as now I have to wait until I purchase another one (def. another brand) So other than don't risk your money on this, if you have the money I would advise having a back-up scale if you are following a plan!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2013 10:42 PM BST

Mighty Bright Green Ultrathin LED Book Light
Mighty Bright Green Ultrathin LED Book Light
Price: 9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Fallen in love with it, 11 July 2013
This is my new indispensable gadget! No more candles, torches or phone lights. It lights your book pages perfectly (much better than a bedside lamp, although I bought it to help my toddler get to sleep while i read a book.) but not only that use it anywhere else too like a quick trip to the loo. Unlike a phone light for example it can be stood up and pointed in any direction. It definitely helps that it can be stood up on it's own.

I can't imagine other reading lights being any better than this one...saying that it would be nice to have an option to have a narrower beam of light since it does give some reflection which could be disturbing.

Omron BF508 Body Composition and Body Fat Monitor Bathroom Scale
Omron BF508 Body Composition and Body Fat Monitor Bathroom Scale
Price: 45.31

1.0 out of 5 stars My body fat reading was 10% off, otherwise weight reading was accurate., 11 Jun 2013
Using the more reliable caliper method my body fat is 21%, (just looking visually confirms this for sure) on these scales however i'm 34% consistently. i tried both drinking lots of water before and not drinking any, different times of the day etc. it still gives me this crazy reading. i'm ethnically eastern european and don't know if that plays any part... Still considering the scale has a fancy pull out hand bar for extra accurate measures, my readings have been very inaccurate and i have returned the product.

The weight measure seems to be accurate however. Compared to my Tesco value scales it gives the same readings!

Confidence Fitness Pro Kettlebell: 10kg
Confidence Fitness Pro Kettlebell: 10kg
Offered by The Sports HQ
Price: 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, but not as good as cast iron., 7 Mar 2013
I had an 8gk cast iron kettlebell and when moving up to 10gk decided to buy the cheapest kettlebell that looked good. This is a very bulky kettlebell. I now realise that bulk is not good as when you do cleans or swing the kettlbell in any way that it brushes your wrist, it is very uncomfortable. The round bits hits against your wrist since it sticks out to the sides so much as it's so big! It's also much harder to balance above your head as the weight is so much more spread out and less concentrated than in the iron kettlebell. So bottom line, I'm moving up to 12kg now and bying a cast iron kettlebell for sure.

(this 10kg measures 24cm in circumference, the 8kg cast iron 16cm)

Organic Bath Towel 700 GSM
Organic Bath Towel 700 GSM
Offered by Fou Furnishings
Price: 22.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but only washes at 30 C, 20 Jun 2012
This review is from: Organic Bath Towel 700 GSM
The towel is certainly good quality, thick and a pleasant creamy colour. However it only washes at 30 Celsius which apparently doesn't kill dust mites and bacteria etc. It's also a pain since I like to wash my other bedding and cotton etc. at least at 40 C. Thus I either have to wash the whole load at 30 C or wash the towel separately.

Out for a Walk: A Baby's First Sign Book (ASL) (Baby's First Signs)
Out for a Walk: A Baby's First Sign Book (ASL) (Baby's First Signs)
by Kim Votry
Edition: Board book
Price: 5.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough glossy pages with illustrations of signs., 20 Jun 2012
I found this book quite good. My toddler likes to read it once in a while but it always ends up a fairly quick read! I think it's because the illustrations (much like the front cover) can be a little unclear and dull for a small child. Saying that, it is very useful to have the picture and illustration of the sign on the same page. I am also using the signing 1 2 3 series to learn ASL and I have found one or two signs to be different in this book.

For the british customer, ASL and BSL are very similar, so you would still find this book useful even if your learning BSL. I don't know for sure, but most of the signs will probably be the same.

Everyday Signs (Signing Time! (Two Little Hands))
Everyday Signs (Signing Time! (Two Little Hands))
by Two Little Hands
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful even if you are learning british sign language, 20 Jun 2012
My toddler loves this book! To tell you the truth I bought this book more for myself to help me learn the signs whilst hoping my toddler would be content also. But I am amazed at how much he enjoys looking at all the pictures. I think it helps greatly that we also watch the dvd videos with him since he sees the same kids Alex and Leah in the book signing as he does on the DVDs. I think I will be buying all the other books in this series.

I have found that british and american sign language is remarkably similar. I would guess maybe 80% the same? We are teaching ASL thought since it is the most widespread in the world.

Happiest Toddler on the Block: How to Eliminate Tantrums and Raise a Patient, Respectful and Cooperative One- to Four-year-old
by Harvey Karp
Price: 8.23

5.0 out of 5 stars A theory that actually works like a charm!, 20 Jun 2012
This book was a fairly quick and easy read, also very entertaining with funny quotes and cartoons. Why not have fun while making your toddler more co-operative and well-behaved? That's probably the central message of the book. Even with all the jokes and illustrations, the book remains grounded in theory and you will definitely find your mind being stretched and your intellect tested. This combination of fun and learning is partially why I am giving this book five stars.

But the entertaining read is not all. I am currently in the process of applying the methods presented in the book and have found them to be working like a charm! By no means it is easy, no it requires practise, and going back to re-read parts of the book time and time again. recently my babysitter has commented on how much calmer and more content my 15month toddler is. I have found it not at all an exaggeration when Dr Karp states a 50-90% reduction in the occurrence of tantrums immediately!

The book proposes a different way of looking at your toddlers, along with different methods of interacting with them than you are used to. I have recently been to a local parenting course and have found much of the information similar to that in this book. The problem is that the course missed fine details and was too general. For example I have learned from this book that if you don't apply the methods in the right way with the right level of empathy, like 'Time Out' for example, the results can be damaging. The book gave me a neat way to make sense of all the different ideas presented in the course and to put them all together into a coherent frame-work.

Note that this is not a manual with specific solutions to specific problems. It gives you a bigger picture view of how to interact with your toddler in day to day life, with a few specific examples.

Accompanying all the theoretical ideas in the book are easy to remember metaphors and stories which you can use as memory guides to help you to put the ideas into practise. e.g. think of your toddler as a little cave-man!

In summary of the contents: There are a couple of chapters teaching you how to react to all tantrums (FFR and Toddlerese. ) Then there is a chapter on green light behaviour which teaches you ways to give your toddler encouragement and positive attention when he is happy. (playing the boob, gossip...) Following is a chapter on yellow light behaviours which teaches ways to tame annoying behaviours. (kind ignoring) Then a chapter on red-light behaviours which are behaviours that you want to stop immediately. (time out and consequences. )

Watch this brilliant 3minute video on YouTube to see Dr Karp himself in action!
"Happiest Toddler Parents TV - For Mom"
[...]

I think this book contains invaluable wisdom of how to bring up children that has been lost in our modern isolated and nuclear family cultures. I believe all the advice comes from a place of love and kindness and that's why it works so well.

"There are times when parenthood seems like nothing more than feeding the hand that bites you." quote from book

David Wants to Fly ( David quiere volar )
David Wants to Fly ( David quiere volar )
Dvd ~ David Lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality documentary, 6 Jun 2012
If your thinking this is a boring amateur type thing, you are very wrong. This documentary is very engaging with beautiful natural scenes ( I really mean it! ) and rare interviews with David Lynch that I found fascinating to watch. I sat on the edge of my seat throughout the whole movie, constantly being surprised by the many many different scenarios and events from all areas of the TM organisation. Whether it's an interview with the million dollar donor of TM or a footage of the yogic flying in the domes.

I think that the director was extremely lucky to have been able to witness and record the key events in the organisations history such as Maharishis death. Myself included as well as others I know who practise TM did not know a lot of the information presented in this documentary. Whether you do or do not do TM, be prepared to be surprised and shocked. The documentary is not judgemental or critical, mostly leaving the viewer to make up his own conclusions about the information presented. It does not stur up negative emotions. It does leave you pondering the deeper questions and wanting to find out more. I found it a great learning experience.

My Kitchen Table: 100 Cakes and Bakes
My Kitchen Table: 100 Cakes and Bakes
by Mary Berry
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The no fuss tiny baking bible!, 6 Jun 2012
This is my number one baking book. In fact 99% of my recipes come from here and I cook all the baking for us, we don't buy much in the shops. That's simply because Mary Berry makes top quality tasty bakery easy and fun. She has a real common sense approach that will fit any oven and any skill level. Make anything from cakes to muffins and get useful cooking tips along the way! This book will definitely not leave you frustrated like other cook books with dozens of steps that make no sense. Theres no nonsense in here! I can almost guarantee that you will enjoy baking so much more after trying some of these recipes....

Her secret formula: Simple ingredients + Simple steps = Top quality delicious bakery!

Go ahead, make something more delicious than the restaurants and shops, I dare you. ;)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3