ARRAY(0xb0b130e4)

Profile for Jaqacake > Reviews

Content by Jaqacake

Jaqacake (London, UK)

Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard  (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard (Retail Packaging)
Price: 43.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent keyboard - shame it has no recharge circuit, 14 Mar 2014
This is the 3rd keyboard I tried with my android tablet - the first two were cheaper ones that got sent back for being awful, so third try I went for something a bit more expensive and that I could try out in a shop first to see what it's like for typing on.

I'm used to typing on a netbook so don't notice if the keyboard is condensed, I have small hands so usually prefer a slightly condensed keyboard. It's nice to type on, keys press nicely, feels like a laptop keyboard, it's solid and doesn't flex while typing on your lap (a problem with the cheaper ones I tried). Mostly it is just as responsive as a wired keyboard, but occasionally it'll take a second or two to catch up.

My only complaint is the lack of a recharge circuit, standard duracels (that came with it) only lasted a few days so getting rechargeables is a must or you'd be spending a fortune, it'd just be easier to plug in a wire than swap batteries.

Once batteries get low it starts randomly disconnecting while you're typing, which probably wouldn't be noticeable if it didn't make my tablet switch keyboards to the default one. It disconnects significantly less than the cheap ones I tried which were constantly losing the connection mid typing no matter how charged.

Samsung CLP-360 Colour Laser Printer
Samsung CLP-360 Colour Laser Printer
Offered by Printerland
Price: 100.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoying with Linux, 22 Mar 2013
Unlike the description this does not have wireless, which I knew although I thought (for some reason) it had ethernet which it does not, it has space at the back but no connection, presumably it's an option.

Another disappointment is the paper tray - it sticks out from the front which I didn't realise before purchasing, none of the pictures show this so it's not as clean as it appears. The tray only closes completely if it has no paper in.

I bought this after checking it had drivers for Linux as I've had some problems with some of the printers in the office using my laptop and after seeing it did I didn't look too much into it which I should have done.

It has a driver but it's not perfect, it requires some googling and playing around with the settings a bit (there's a driver on the Samsung website but it doesn't have this specific model, so it's a case of trying different ones), so far the best I've found (in a hurry) means I have to unplug and plug back in USB cable to the printer between each print which is what I've stuck with atm because I'm lazy and it's easy enough to do with a laptop. I've seen a script to get around this problem but not tried anything yet. The drivers my OS (mint) automatically installs are for a different model and give a poor print quality so you do have to faff around a bit, I'd recommend looking around for a model with better support if you're not running Windows or Mac.

I'm happy with the print quality, I've printed out a few full page colour things and it's not photo quality but it's fine for my purposes. Seems comparable quality to the large colour photocopier/printer thing at work that cost a few thousand.

It takes a while between sending a document to print and it first appearing (30 seconds +), (although this could be specific to the linux drivers, I haven't tried printing from a windows machine to compare), once it's started on a document it kicks it out speedily enough, I haven't really tried to guess how many ppm as I didn't buy it for the speed.

Overall I'm happy, I've not had any problems with it printing beyond the driver issues which are obviously specific to my operating system, no jamming up, no kicking up random errors or just having a fit and not printing so it's beat every inkjet I've ever owned. I went for this model as it was affordable, suited my purposes and I wanted a laser - I firmly believe that inkjet printers are the devil and wanted a printer which didn't require prayer to a range of deities and a blood sacrifice to coax a print from.

Panache Women's Porcelain Moulded Bra Black 3376 32FF
Panache Women's Porcelain Moulded Bra Black 3376 32FF
Price: 21.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bra I've ever had, 22 Mar 2013
I love this bra, it's the only bra I wear with any frequency - have a drawer full of them. Very comfortable and gives a good shape under clothing - unlike most bras I've tried from department stores which just seem to be a very odd 'shape' and expect my boobs to be positioned somewhere else even if they are apparently the right size (I suspect a problem caused by scaling up a smaller cup rather than designing for the larger bust, as I've not found such a problem with brands specifically for larger busts).

This is the most comfortable and best fitting bra I've ever found and it looks good under any clothing so no complaints. Although I kind of wish they did a sexy version (still moulded) as I've yet to find a 'sexy' bra that I can wear without being in pain.

Digital Silence DS-321D Stereo Digital Ambient Noise Cancelling Headphones with Microphone - Black
Offered by iHeadphones UK
Price: 39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars ANC headphones, 22 Mar 2013
I like them, the ANC does OK, obviously doesn't block out every noise and makes no difference to higher pitched noises like talking but it makes a noticeable difference to the background noise on the bus, tube or plane. Means I can actually hear my music without requiring a deafening volume on the tube.

The battery lasts for ages - handy as I often forget to turn it off and I love that it charges by micro USB (much better than a propriety connector), previous ANC headphones I've had to change batteries. It's also great that they still work when the battery is flat as I know some models don't (although I've never bought a pair that don't for that reason).

One of the selling points was having a microphone and this works fine, I've used it while skiing and was able to have conversations despite it being all caught up in clothing (although sadly but not surprisingly the ANC doesn't work to block out wind noise while skiing). Being able to use the button on it to skip and pause is also great, while fiddly with gloves (not an issue, you wouldn't want the microphone any bigger) it's better than removing gloves entirely and digging out your phone.

However after 6 months they are already damaged which leads to some crackling. I'm quite disappointed but on the other hand it's probably my fault, I just put them in my pocket when not using them although it's not happened to any previous headphones, maybe I'm just unlucky or perhaps the cats got hold of them. There is some physical damage to the cable so it seems unlikely that it's a fault with the product.

They are also relatively uncomfortable compared to other pairs of in ear headphones I've owned, I think it's just the shape - it's probably great for some people but I find them quite uncomfortable to wear for a long period of time, unlike my JVC ones which I can wear all day (and sleep in comfortably). Not a problem just for a few hours, but wearing them all day starts hurting after a few days and they aren't comfortable enough to sleep in.

I'm going to do some more research for my next pair, although I wouldn't hesitate to buy these again if they were as comfy as my JVC pair.

New Trent Power Rock Case with Extended Rechargeable Battery Juice Case 2100mAh for IPHONE 4 4S (IMP210B/NT210B)

4.0 out of 5 stars Battery case, 22 Mar 2013
I bought this as a present for my other half who lives in a permanent state of running out of battery.

Now he's the guy who always has battery left at the end of the day. He hasn't had a problem using it, says he finds his phone weird without it because it feels 'too thin'.

Can't really fault it, the only minor point against is that it gets turned on and off in the pocket a lot, which hasn't caused any problems (he doesn't really care) but would likely be a point of annoyance for someone who wants more reliable control over whether or not it's charging the iphone or not - my brother has a similar one with a switch on the inside which suits him better as someone concerned about how charging patterns affect battery life (although I don't think this is really an issue with lithium batteries as it was with older styles).

Only been in use for 3 months but still in perfectly good condition, hasn't suffered from being dropped and generally treated without a lot of care.

Jasmine Silk Pure Silk Black Balaclava Thermal Under Helmet Protection Mask Ski Cycle Motorcycle Bike - Black
Offered by Jasmine Silk
Price: 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 22 Mar 2013
Used for skiing, happy with the purchase, my only 'complaint' is that the seam down the middle is a bit uncomfortable under my (quite tight) helmet, leaving an imprint and a bit of a bruise over a few days.

However this is unlikely to be a problem with a helmet with softer foam on the inside (mine is very firm foam with a snug fit). I'm also not sure what the alternative is - is it possible to make one without a seam? I don't know, I haven't looked, if you're choosing between this and one that is seamless I'd choose the seamless one but it's not enough of an issue for me to worry about replacing it.

4-Pack Callippo Silicone Ice Pop Moulds Calipo Push Up Lolly Mold
4-Pack Callippo Silicone Ice Pop Moulds Calipo Push Up Lolly Mold
Offered by Sourcing4U Limited
Price: 8.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Good design but leaves an awful taste behind., 22 Mar 2013
While easy to use, makes ice poles and the lid helps prevent spillage in the freezer, after just one day in the freezer on first use the silicone seems to have picked up an awful smell. That smell seems to permeate into the ice pops and leaves a nasty taste (or so it appears, it's possibly an effect caused by the strong smell of the silicone).

I've had the same problem with a couple of novelty ice trays too but with most this isn't a problem so I don't think it's anything to do with my freezer - I assume it's caused by the grade of silicone?

I'd give these a miss.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2013 7:13 PM BST

Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker
Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker
Price: 63.84 - 120.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good but lack of support brings it down - excellent customer service though, 28 Nov 2012
I have it clipped to my bra and it does a good job of tracking my steps and floors, I don't notice I'm wearing it and haven't forgotten to put it on since buying it a few weeks ago. The battery life is excellent, I get more like 10 days out of it rather than the advertised 5-7 although I don't play with it much during the day - just leave it to do it's thing, it's refreshing to see a device advertised with what I assume is a more typical battery life than the absolute max in perfect conditions (temperature, etc) if you then don't touch it.

Pros:
- Shows me how little I actually move most days (I work from home so some days I don't even leave the house), good for getting an objective view over your movements
- Motivates me to walk instead of catching the bus because I want to up my step count, when I need to get something from upstairs instead of thinking I can't be bothered I think about how I can 'score' another floor. So it offers some motivation for lazy people like me, although I would be lying if I said it was enough to have much of a positive impact on my fitness, but it's still an improvement
- I like the badges and would love to compete with friends, I think this would motivate me to exercise a lot more, I'm rather less interested in competing with strangers but sadly my only friends who are interested in it aren't going to buy one until they support Linux

Cons:
- Doesn't sync with Linux or Android, it says it will with Android 'soon' but it has said that for months and there's no information when that will be happening (although it will only work with new phones as it requires bluetooth 4, but that's fair enough)
- Web interface isn't the best, calorie counting is a bit of a faff so I don't bother, I would like to see a larger database, a barcode scanner and the ability to just 'quick add' calories (rather than spend a few minutes adding each ingredient for whatever it is I've eaten). I also find the information a little bit lacking for data junkies like myself, it's possible there is more data with a premium membership but I haven't tried
- You can't export the data without a premium membership, I feel this should be made more clear in the description as most users would assume you don't have to pay extra for this

My main problem though is the lack of support for Linux or Android, when/if these become supported they'll earn the extra stars.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 15/01/13.

For those concerned that the clip may not be up to the job, or that the fitbit may come out of the holder I have tested this by putting my fitbit in the washing machine still attached to my sports bra and can confirm that after a 45 minute cycle it is still firmly attached.

While I don't recommend testing it yourself the water resistance has performed well beyond it's stated limitations at 40 degrees.

Sadly though there is no option on the website for me to remove the 1400 steps I have fraudulently acquired this evening.

I am impressed that it has survived this unplanned test of durability and added another star to my review, it's nice to know that an expensive device can withstand some accidents (and I doubt I'm the first person to accidentally put it through the washing machine!)

-----------------------------------
Update 03/07/13

Another update - and adding on another star to give full marks in response to some excellent customer service.

I had a problem which was completely and entirely my fault - I lost my fitbit. I contacted customer services in case there was a way it could be recovered (from someone else tried to register it or something, maybe) and they agreed to send me a replacement completely free of charge. I'm pretty astounded to be honest and don't think you can get better than that, I guess it helps that the devices are registered to accounts so it's easy to see if someone is lying but nonetheless that's service to rival (and exceed) John Lewis and fully deserving of full marks.

Shame the android support is still lacking (unless you have a Samsung). And updating on the battery life while I'm here - before losing the first one the battery life remained as good as when I got it after over 6 months of use (still 10+ days between charges).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2012 12:57 PM GMT

Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350 - eBook reader - 5" monochrome E Ink ( 800 x 600 ) - silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it to bits - if only it had the worldwide wikipedia offered by the Kindle, 26 Jan 2011
Having had my eye on getting an e-reader for a few years I finally took the plunge this Christmas. I was all set on getting the Kindle, before deciding that I neither wanted to be stuck with or support a device that works on a propriety format and started looking at alternatives, finally settling on the 350.

I found the Sony had several advantages over the Kindle:

* Touch screen - which makes turning the page easier, means you can draw little pictures (not the best quality, but it's a nice feature), and double clicking a word to bring up the dictionary is nice too.
* Smaller - this is the pocket version after all, I don't personally notice any disadvantage compared to 6" readers but it's worth taking a look, especially if you want to use large print (pop down to Waterstone's or John Lewis where they have some on display). It fits easily into a handbag and my coat pocket
*Supports epubs - you'll need this if you want to borrow books from your library, or buy from anywhere other than Amazon, or you just disagree with propriety formats on principle.

The interface is good although could be improved (why have the 3 latest added titles on display on the home screen? I would much rather have the 3 latest read), would love there to be more 'applications' as that screen is a bit empty. Hopefully the alternative firmware available for older Sony Readers will be available on this model soon.

To be honest I absolutely love it, barely a day has passed I haven't used it and it's so much more convenient to carry round than a book. Plus I can stop collecting real books, I just don't have the space to store them.

So why only 4 stars? Well that's the obvious flaw (and the only disadvantage it has compared to the Kindle) - the lack of 3G. To be honest I'm not that bothered about buying books over 3G but not having the worldwide wikipedia access that the Kindle promises is a very large mark in the negative column for me.

Creative ZEN 16GB MP3 Player
Creative ZEN 16GB MP3 Player

1.0 out of 5 stars Loverly player, but so unreliable it's useless, 1 Oct 2008
I bought this about 6 months ago as an alternative to the ipod and I've regretted it ever since.

In most respects I love it, it's got a great interface (something which was somewhat lacking from my previous sony player), it's pretty, decent battery life and decent sound quality. The SD card expansion has proved pretty handy too.

However, it crashes. A lot. I found I had to carry a safety pin with me to reset it, and on occasion that didn't work and I've had to plug it into my computer and run some 'repair' thing for it to start up again.

Now it's stopped working completely for no apparent reason and I wish I'd listed to some of the advice on here about the problem before I bought it and can only reiterate the same - don't buy this player.