Profile for McGoose > Reviews

Content by McGoose

McGoose (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Gallant Adjustable Patella Jumper's Knee Strap Support - One Size with Tubular Insert
Offered by GallantSports

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but I have chicken legs so a loop over one was better., 25 April 2015
If you've got chicken legs then perhaps go with that has a loop over strap to tighten properly.

Koolpak Ice Bag 23cm
Koolpak Ice Bag 23cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but works perfectly, 25 April 2015
Not much to say really. Sick of rooting around in the freezer for something that you can try and use as an ice bag? A bag of frozen carrots is pretty poor when you've run out of peas. Get this instead, molds round anything you need ice on your body and that's all it needs to do.

PhysioRoom Elite Hinged Knee Brace - Injury, Treatment, Support, Pain Relief, Cartilage Tears, Ligaments, Protection, Breathable Airmesh Fabric, Lightweight, Adjustable ROM Hinge Medium
Offered by PhysioRoom

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a sports brace. Physioroom need to stop putting this in the 'elite' category on their website. It's basic at best., 25 April 2015
If you have any intention of using this in a sports context DO NOT BUY THIS. Perhaps if you were recovering from an injury and simply needed to get back to simple movement this 'may' be sufficient but it is seriously flawed as a sports brace, I'll tell you why.

Basically once you set the hinge stops they need resistance somewhere in the structure to work. Here's the problem, whilst the resistance is being transferred into the rest of the brace, at the bottom it seems to go into pressing into your calves and at the top it pushes the material covering the front of the thigh, off it. The material has, straps in place, loads of give so once the hinge hits it's limit, the force is simply transferred though the material which can't resist the force pulling it off your leg up top.

The brace needs an additional strap around the top to stop the hinges moving forward, I can see why the metal Donjoy braces are the choice of those wanting a sports brace now. Time to spend some serious money I think.

BMX Trix and Techniques for Park and Street (BMX Trix & Techniques)
BMX Trix and Techniques for Park and Street (BMX Trix & Techniques)
by Tony Donaldson

1.0 out of 5 stars Learn by simply doing., 22 July 2014
I think this book may be 'ok' if you were a complete beginner and were utterly clueless about what bmxing was about in any sense.....or maybe it wouldn't.

The book is basically a fairly small selection of tricks from various disciplines with a massively oversized run of pictures to take up most of the space in the book. The problem is this author seems to think, for example, that to dirt jump you just.....dirt jump. Yes, just start small and build up. There is no actual breakdown of the techique behind jumping. Ok some people are naturals but most are not and small little pieces of techique advice can make a big difference to people who are missing a piece of the jigsaw. He describes how to pump in about 2 lines. 'Mastering mountain bike skills' had about 6 or more pages on pumping. Guess which was more useful.

The whole book follows the same pattern. It simply states the obvious. Want to manual? Pull on the bars and move your body back and brake if you need to. That's your lot from this book. No discussion about any small problems you maybe having like not being about to pull the bike up straight etc.

I only bought this a curosity purchase but I wish i'd seen it in a shop first so I could have not wasted my money. I'm currently riding a DMR jump bike which I sometimes take to the skateparks so I thought I may learn something. No.

Seriously if you want to learn anything relating to using a bike off-road, including the important elements of jumping and pumping then get 'Mastering Mountain Bike Skills', it rarely misses anything important and a lot of the MTB stuff in there is probably relevant to any bike you take on dirt.

Conan The Barbarian [Blu-ray] [1982]
Conan The Barbarian [Blu-ray] [1982]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars Crom!!, 6 Jun. 2014
Conan, what is best in life?

This blu ray! I can't be bothered reviewing the actual film but the disc itself is a nice transfer. It looks as good as I expect we'll ever see it. If you're looking at this you probably want it, so just buy it!

Blank Value 1 1/8in BMX Bike / Scooter A-Headset Aheadset Black
Blank Value 1 1/8in BMX Bike / Scooter A-Headset Aheadset Black
Offered by Enemite

5.0 out of 5 stars can't fault it for the price, 6 Jun. 2014
I've been running this on an old DMR sidekick and it seems ok given the abuse it gets. I'm relearning how to jump and generally mess about so this has been taking more abuse than a smoother rider would probably give it and it seems fine. I fitted it myself with little problem, perhaps adding a bit more grease than was supplied was the only sticking point. Other than that no problems.

I'm sure paying large amounts for the top end stuff is warranted if you've got more top end stuff to match it to but for a quick and dirty build it's fine.

KALLOY UNO 26.8mm BIKE SEATPOST MICRO ADJUST ALLOY BLACK CHEAP NEW
KALLOY UNO 26.8mm BIKE SEATPOST MICRO ADJUST ALLOY BLACK CHEAP NEW
Offered by FireCloud Cycles

5.0 out of 5 stars A seatpost....and it works!, 6 Jun. 2014
Not much to say really, light, works as a seatpost should. I've been using it on a DMR sidekick so it's taken some hits, more so than most bikes will see.

Worth a tenner.

Stronglight 55 Series Single Chainset. 170mm Cranks, Non detachable Chainring
Stronglight 55 Series Single Chainset. 170mm Cranks, Non detachable Chainring
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous garbage, bends very easily!!, 6 Jun. 2014
Like the other reviewers has mentioned, this is utter rubbish and could possibly end up in an accident.

My bike has been converted to single speed, I was running the correct chainline so that wasn't to blame, but still the thing literally folded on me as I powered up a hill. I was actually clipped into SPDs at the time so it could have been nasty. Luckily the road was quiet and I managed to stop without incident. I bent the thing back by hand and carried on hoping it would last the 2 miles or so I had left. It did but as soon as I find another crankset this is getting taken off and put in the bin. Thankfully I have 3 bikes so the single speed is consigned the garage for the moment.

Pay that little bit more and save yourself the worry!

Speccy Nation
Speccy Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars Read and install!, 10 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Speccy Nation (Kindle Edition)
I must say this fires many a memory back into your brain. Worth it just to remember things like your old games section in WH Smith or Woolworths and you and your mates huddling round a 14 inch TV listening to a tape recorder screech away.

Oddly enough I got the urge to stick a speccy emulator on my devices soon after reading.

Well worth £1 of your money. Other authors take note.

Mad Max - Limited Edition Trilogy with Petrol Can Packaging [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as you'll get, 10 Oct. 2013
I've had Mad Max 2 on HD-DVD before and once again MM2 is the standout feature in terms of quality and possibly the actual film. MM1 is as good as you've seen it and MM3 is disappointing as it's transfer seems to worst of the 3 to my eyes, it's on par with stuff like Ghostbusters which seem quite grainy.

Not much point reviewing the actual films, as if you want this on Blu Ray you're probably a big fan anyway but don't buy this trilogy expecting any extras. Apart from a commentary and trailers there's nothing. Disappointing that they couldn't put something together really, hence the 4 stars.

Page: 1 | 2