Profile for Spruce49 > Reviews

Raspberry Pi Case - Clear
Offered by New IT limited
Price: 3.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, 12 April 2013
The Raspberry Pi fits in the case very snugly, and the two halves of the case then snap together securely.
It is possible to see the flashing lights on Raspberry Pi, but the case is opaque enough to make most of the unit unobtrusive.
All the cables plugged into the Pi and were not restricted by the case in any way. I've had the Pi running for most of the day, this did not make the case heat up at all.
Nice piece of kit.

Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Kindle Edition)
I finished this book with a genuine sense of regret, as if I'd just taken leave of a dear friend. It switches from the past to the future effortlessly, the whole tied together by tenuous links of letters, music and simple human kindness.
Make this your next book on the reading list.

Distant Traveler
Distant Traveler
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but..., 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Distant Traveler (Kindle Edition)
The author has had a good idea, and set the scene for the story to play itself out very well - some of the descriptions about living in space were very good. Tension between the main character and other members of the crew ratcheted up very cleverly.
The story ended rAther abruptly, as if the author suddenly lost interest in the book.

Great North Road
Great North Road
Price: 5.22

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC BOOK, 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: Great North Road (Kindle Edition)
Most of the previous reviews say it all - this is an incredible book, and you should read it. I think this is Peter Hamilton's best book, even though the other ones are all great in their own right.
I read this over the course of a weeks holiday, and found it hard to put down.
The only thing I found difficult was the number of characters, but it would be mean of me to award anything less than 5 stars to an incredible achievement.

Turing Evolved
Turing Evolved

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD STORY, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: Turing Evolved (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book, the characterisation was well handled and the story had me on the hook, so that I had to read 'just one more page' before taking a break.
The author seems quite at home dealing with the complexities of romance, robotics and alternative realities (without giving too much away I hope), and weaves all these aspects into a well paced and interesting story.
Recommended!

Griffin PowerJolt SE 6134-PJLTSECLB Car Charger for iPod or iPhone -Black
Griffin PowerJolt SE 6134-PJLTSECLB Car Charger for iPod or iPhone -Black
Offered by PowerSolutionsOnline
Price: 4.30

4.0 out of 5 stars IT WORKS, 4 April 2012
The order was delivered very promptly, and I was able to test the charger on a long drive the following week-end once I'd fought my way through the packaging. I am impressed with the quality of the charger, my only gripe being that the lead is just a little bit short - it's just long enough for my iPhone to sit on the car seat when plugged into the dashboard ciggy lighter adjacent to the gear stick.
One thing I like very much and that I wasn't aware of when purchasing, is the nice ring of light emitted when the charger is plugged in.
My iPhone4 charged very well, so 4 stars would have been 5 with a longer lead.

Amazon.co.uk Email Gift Card - (generic design)
Amazon.co.uk Email Gift Card - (generic design)
Price: 1,000.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Jolly Good, 3 Nov 2011
I wanted to buy a gift token from Amazon that would be delivered to my nephew's e-mail address on the day of his birthday.
So I went into Amazon, saw how to order a gift token, and asked for it to be delivered to my nephew's e-mail address on the day of his birthday.
My nephew received the gift token from Amazon via e-mail, on the day of his birthday.
Marvellous!

MySQL: the Definitive Guide to Using, Programming, and Administering MySQL 4.1 and 5.0 (Developer's Library)
by Paul DuBois
Price: 29.41

5.0 out of 5 stars BEGINNER TO EXPERT, 7 Sep 2011
If you know nothing about Mysql, but need to become an expert, buy this book. Some serious concentration required, but as it is a book you can dip in and out at your own speed. If you leave it too long - don't struggle, just go back to the beginning and start again - I have done this quite often.
The book is big and bound quite stiffly, so look away for more than a few seconds and you find that the structure of the book has turned a few pages for you, one way or the other - all part of the learning process! get over it and enjoy that first query as it slaps your data all over the screen in neat rows and columns and you recognise what you're looking at, and how it got there - enjoy!

Thunder and Sunshine
Thunder and Sunshine
by Alastair Humphreys
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars More about travel than cycling, 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: Thunder and Sunshine (Paperback)
I bought this book because I love travelling by bicycle. If you want to read a fantastic travel book where the mode of transport happens to be by bicycle - then buy this book. If you want to read primarily about cycling as a means of travel, you may be slightly disappointed - but I still reckon you should get this book, it is an awesome achievement, and a thoroughly good read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2011 9:20 PM BST

Vax H90-GA-B Gator Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
Vax H90-GA-B Gator Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
Price: 34.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Job, 2 May 2011
I took quite a while to read reviews of this and other hand held vacuum cleaners. I eventually went for this and am not disappointed, it does a great job.
I use it to vacuum my 4X4, which usually takes 10 to 12 minutes, there always seems to be plenty of charge in the battery to achieve this.
Suction is adequate for getting most of the dirt off the surfaces, and the nozzle extension comes in handy for getting into those awkward places, I found it not quite long enough for getting into that gap between seat rails and the inner sill of the car, but pointing in that general direction it still managed to suck up the lighter stuff.
I leave it on charge all day, my only quibble is that there appears to be no indicator to show it is fully charged.
Money well spent.