Profile for Mark Shaxon > Reviews

Content by Mark Shaxon

Mark Shaxon

Dirty Jeans And Mudslide Hymns (Deluxe)
Dirty Jeans And Mudslide Hymns (Deluxe)
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 14.90

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master, 24 Aug 2011
I cannot add much to the previous reviewer except to say John Hiatt has consistently delivered superb albums albums for over 25 years. He really should be mentioned in the same breath as Springsteen Morrison and Dylan as a master songwriter. Whilst writing this i am listening to Warming up to the Ice Age from 1985, a long forgotton classic. How he has remained a 'minority' artist for all these years is a complete mystery to me. May you continue for many more years. This new one just adds to list of quality releases.

Black Country Communion
Black Country Communion
Price: 17.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece????, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: Black Country Communion (Audio CD)
This is a good album performed by four excellent musicians, but I think calling it a masterpiece and album of the year is a bit strong. Lyrically (if that's important on this kind of music)it is poor. Although the playing more than makes up for that. JB gets the chance to pull out all his Clapton/Page licks whilst Glenn Hughes wails as only he can. For me the drumming is the star turn. Jason would make Dad proud, this is his best since the work with JB on the You and Me album. If like me you are a lover of 70's/80's rock purchase without fear. But I cannot help thinking that if this was Glenn Higgins, Joe Borossa and Jason Bonning nobody would give it a second glance.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2010 12:08 PM BST

Band Of Joy [Digipack]
Band Of Joy [Digipack]
Price: 10.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Like it......but, 16 Sep 2010
This review is from: Band Of Joy [Digipack] (Audio CD)
Plant continues to show us that there is more to his musical life than LZ. I for one could understand why he wanted nothing to do with a re-union tour, he has more to offer than singing kashmir for the umpteenth time. This album is superior to Raising Sand (I did not get what all the fuss was with that).
The peerless voice shows no sign of giving up on material that in many ways is harder to sing.
Having said that when I need a Plant 'fix' I will continue to turn to the excellent Now and Zen and Fate of Nations. Sorry Robert you still do this stuff better than anybody.

Emotion & Commotion
Emotion & Commotion
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 8.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Full Shred......No, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Emotion & Commotion (Audio CD)
I have followed Beck since The Yardbirds through rock, blues and jazz-rock and have to say on first two plays this is a little bit of a disappointment. As usual the guitar work is flawless and production superb but I can't help thinking it is all a bit 'safe'. Firstly I wholeheartedly agree with a previous reviewer that Joss Stone has no place on a Beck album. Her 'slot' on 'performing this week at Ronnie Scott's' was downright turgid.
Secondly the choice of cover material. I don't really want to hear (however well played) covers of Somewhere over the Rainbow and Nessun Dorma on an album by the greatest rock guitarist ever.
I want the FULL SHRED of 'Guitar Shop' and 'Who Else'. I accept that as a performer he wants to move on and try new things but some of this is approaching airport lounge music.
I never thought I would make a negative review of one of Jeff's records and perhaps with time it will grow on me but for now I advise caution if you want Beck at his blazing best.

Live From Madison Square Garden
Live From Madison Square Garden
Price: 15.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of their Game, 26 Oct 2009
I can only agree with other reviewers this is great stuff from two of England's finest. Winwood's voice has not diminished one bit since the 60's with Spencer Davis. To hear those old Traffic songs given the modern treatment is a delight. Almost worth the cost for Voodoo Chile.
This is some of Clapton's best playing for ages. Two great's at the top of their game!

Electric Dirt
Electric Dirt
Price: 12.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Levon delivers again, 2 July 2009
This review is from: Electric Dirt (Audio CD)
On the back of 2007's excellent Dirt Farmer, Levon Helm delivers another hugely enjoyable album. If you were a fan of the Band (like me)you will love this and wonder why it took him so long to record an album that more than pays homage to one of the greatest groups ever.
That unmistakeable voice is in fine form as he delivers a heady mixture of folk, bluegrass and the blues.
Richard Manuel and Rick Danko would be proud(RIP).

Arena
Arena
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Todd you've blown it!!, 2 Oct 2008
This review is from: Arena (Audio CD)
After the superb 'Liars' I am sorry to say this is just mainly second rate heavy metal.There are one or two saviours like 'Afraid'but they are rare. Just when I thought he was back to his best as well.

Nine Lives
Nine Lives
Price: 6.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland, 14 May 2008
This review is from: Nine Lives (Audio CD)
Yes the voice is still one to die for but Dirty City apart the whole thing is so bland and the lyrics don't help. Go back to 'Low Spark' and John Barleycorn for pure Winwood.