Profile for Jonny Wooldridge > Reviews

Jonny Wooldridge

Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
by Mark Earls

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you're in marketing. Or if you're human., 20 Sep 2013
I saw Mark Earls deliver the keynote at a conference a few years back. I remember enjoying the talk and having great intentions of reading Herd....but then never getting round to it.
It's just fallen into my lap, as we're doing a project where herd psychology reared its head and seemed pretty relevant...so my colleague Katie thrust Herd into my hand as a useful book.

I now love it. Here's why:

It's not just a `business' book (which I endeavor to read many of... and often end up getting halfway through and giving up). It jumps straight into the nature of humanity - The super social ape. For anyone interested in psychology or just intellectually curious - it's fascinating, and underpins the book with an academic grounding.

It's practical and applicable to my work, now. It doesn't just sit on the fence and say why the the rest of the world is wrong, it gives you a framework to actually do stuff differently.

It's inspiring and I regularly get ideas whilst reading it. Unfortunately it's my friend Katie's copy, so I'm going to have to get my own to scribble in the margin.

It's well written and fun.I try to read books on the tube to and from work. This book I get out of my bag as I leave the office.

Enjoy.