Profile for Maclennane > Reviews

Terra: Tales of the Earth
by Richard Hamblyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasons not to live on a subduction zone, 29 Nov 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Interesting historical perspectives on tectonic-related phenomena from around the world. Voices and theories from the time offer great texture and it's put together with due deference for the suffering, balanced with an eye for the humourous The Lisbon quake and Krakatoa explosion are particularly well covered, and there're interesting nuggets on the pacific tsunami warning system, but it suffers a bit in the description of the pan-european smog, there are only so many times you can read that the sun's gone darkish and it's warm before repetition becomes an issue. It's well worth the read, however, particularly for next time you hear that some disaster presages the end of the world.

Season to Taste: How I Lost My Sense of Smell and Found My Way
Season to Taste: How I Lost My Sense of Smell and Found My Way
by Molly Birnbaum
Price: 10.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich personal memoir - sciencey bit lacks intensity, 24 Nov 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hadn't realised how important the sense of smell is. I appreciate it more now. For this alone it's worth reading the book.
Molly Birnbaum is clearly a person with a lot of passion, and much of the joy of this book in how much she throws herself into the culinary world, how many sacrifices she's willing to make, the intensity of her longing to be all she can be, and then the astonishing resilience she shows when all that seems taken away from her. Fortunately for her, and unfortunately for the book, she starts getting it back quite soon in her follow-up research, you feel happy for her, and then you sort of bobble along, a semi-interested observer into her inquiries into the scientific nature of smell, whilst keeping half an eye on her relationships. Fundamentally she hasn't the story-telling gift to make the more even-paced bits work, but I still fundamentally enjoyed the book.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 (1 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 (1 PC, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC)
Offered by Unitrade
Price: 17.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Security tightened up, 28 Sep 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Had the previous year's Kapersky which was quietly and unobtrusively doing its thing in the background, and was expecting/hoping that I would barely notice the change. There are differences, however, it's faster, more comprehensive (It picked up on a forum I was using as an insecure site, and indeed that site had been hacked not long before) and the icon to show it's functioning is a little sillier than previous versions.

Only grump, and the reason it lost a star, was that upon loading it up it took on my previous license, I couldn't find where to put my new code in, so I watched my final fifty days tick away wondering whether I was going to have a tedious argument with tech support, but as it turned out, after 30 days, it asked me and it's all sorted out.

I'm Feeling Lucky: The Confessions of Google Employee Number 59
I'm Feeling Lucky: The Confessions of Google Employee Number 59
by Douglas Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, occasionally inspirational, 4 Sep 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the story of a man in his forties, with clear ideas on how marketing works having his world turned upside down, learning to adapt to survive in a world driven by engineers and principles which don't fit well with standard corporate principles.

It's a good perspective from which to report the functioning of Google, he's got a global view of the development, a shaky understanding of the technology and a slight inferiority complex on the basis that he's surrounded by genius.

I enjoyed it, if I found it a little over-long and it's made me think about whether I could do a job like that. There are bits and pieces worth implementing in other organisations and it's reassuring to know that office politics and ill-defined strategies occur in brilliant new companies too.

Hand Me Down World
Hand Me Down World
by Lloyd Jones
Price: 11.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Holiday stuff, 12 Aug 2011
This review is from: Hand Me Down World (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a decent novel. it has characters you can believe in and care about, it has a story, and there's plenty about human nature, prejudice, love and sacrifice, a little humour here and there. It's a good read.

It's not unputdownable, which is a good and a bad thing, there's a pleasant lack of pace which means you can pick it up after a while away, dive straight back in and not feel frustrated and have to read back to catch up. And you're not going to lose any sleep trying to get to the end. So it's a holiday read, enjoyable, relatively unchallenging, but not as lightweight as something you'd pick up at the airport.

Livin' the Dreem: A Year in My Life
Livin' the Dreem: A Year in My Life
by Harry Hill
Price: 15.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Guess what it's like... you're right, 20 Jun 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very funny tales of Bexhill-on-Sea (which is portayed as nicer than I remember it) and the clinic for showbiz illnesses (which isn't) via wogan's underground fortress and including a disastrous dating history with Duffy, it's a fabulous book taken in bits and pieces, perhaps between forkfulls if you're following the Paul McKenna diet thing. Not one you can sit down and read in an evening, however.

Secret Britain: The Hidden Bits of Our History
Secret Britain: The Hidden Bits of Our History
by Justin Pollard

4.0 out of 5 stars A good fun occasional read, 20 Jun 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's all sorts of wonderful stuff in here, written in punchy style by an author who's obviously very excited about all of it. Arranged by vague subject, the quality is fairly consistent throughout, which is unusual for a book of this genre. In keeping with the QI heritage of the author, it doesn't rely on the old favourites , and there's plenty you're unlikely to know.

Unofficial Guide to Disneyland Paris (Unofficial Guides)
Unofficial Guide to Disneyland Paris (Unofficial Guides)
by Bob Sehlinger

4.0 out of 5 stars Very practical, patchy in parts, 1 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Good bits first - the activity plans are excellent, and allow you to navigate the vast expanse of the park with ease and structure. The ratings of the rides for age groups are very useful, the tone is chatty, informal and funny in parts, all in all it's a very useful guide.

However, it does get a bit emotional about the difficulties involved, even on a sunny easter week visit, the crowds weren't as overwhelming as all that, and the place is set up for huge numbers and grumpy kids. We didn't need to put our kids into physical training beforehand, and it was a relief when we'd donethe key bits and could wander around, planless. There's the occasional bit of confusing writing 'parades occur every evening that the park is open after eight o'clock' - right-ho, do the parades start after eight...

All in all though there's no doubt that it enhanced our experience of Disneyland, and I'd recommend it to anyone planning a visit, just don't let it scare you.

Ventura Screw On ll A Aluminium Carrier - Silver
Ventura Screw On ll A Aluminium Carrier - Silver
Offered by bikemadness
Price: 12.59

3.0 out of 5 stars I think there may be bits missing..., 8 Feb 2011
...there are certainly bits left over, it's all a bit difficult to tell without any technical German, however once I'd cannibalised my mountain bike for extra lug nuts and found a couple of washers, I'd got a decent rack on my bike.

Second-Class Male: A Book of Misguided Letters
Second-Class Male: A Book of Misguided Letters
by Stan Madeley
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Silly and stylish, 16 Dec 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Books of letters and replies are nothing new, but that's no reason not to enjoy them. Stan Madeley has a wry, polite manner of expressing himself and his turn of phrase is well worth the read, but it isn't for the output of Stan's pen that I would principly recommend this book. The replies are by-and-large good natured, often humorous andwith a fair few spotting the joke and playing along. In the world of the form reply, the corporate communication and fear of ridicule, litigation and time-wasting, they show that a little invested time can still elicit some human response.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17