Profile for Darren Hayward > Reviews

Content by Darren Hayward

Darren Hayward (Bristol, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Maypole 783 Foot Pump Single Barrel
Maypole 783 Foot Pump Single Barrel
Price: 7.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but gauge is useless, 25 Mar 2014
I've used this a few times now and I've found it to be faily stable and does the Job of inflating car and Cycle tyres fine. If only the pressure gauge had not come apart on first use. The gauge is covered by a cheap plastic tube with a simple press in clear plastic piece so you can see the gauge. It really is unbelievably flimsy. If you need a pressure gauge, avoid.

Imposter [DVD]
Imposter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gary Sinise
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 19.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Under rated, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Imposter [DVD] (DVD)
Good little story this. Acting OK, twist at the end was not too predictable and whilst there are a few pot holes they aren't glaring enough to spoil it.
A fine example of competent mid-budget sci fi.

Doctor Who: The Reign of Terror [DVD]
Doctor Who: The Reign of Terror [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Hartnell
Price: 6.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Good restoration of missing episodes, 21 Aug 2013
When I saw that two of the episodes were animated I thought they would be the fairly static animations I'd seen in other stories. Instead the animations are much more mobile, and although they could be better, they give a real sense on continuity through the whole story. Obviously using the original sound recordings of the missing episodes is a major bonus too.
I'm not usually a big fan of the older historical storylines but I must say I enjoyed this one.

Battle Earth [DVD]
Battle Earth [DVD]
Dvd ~ Adam Murno
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap rubbish, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Battle Earth [DVD] (DVD)
Well anyone who looks at the DVD cover to see a city under attack will be disapointed. This is about a squad of soldiers running around in the wilds shooting at who knows what. When the aliens are eventually seen its a big letdown. Like I said, cheap rubbish.

The Quiet Earth [DVD]
The Quiet Earth [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruno Lawrence
Offered by BLT-Deals
Price: 5.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Slowwwwwwww, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Quiet Earth [DVD] (DVD)
Not a bad film but very slow moving. Just how many scenes of someone going mad from loneliness can one film contain.
Once there are two men and one woman you just know there will be trouble and it livens up a bit.
You can see the way the finale will play out from a mile off but the very last scene is very open to interpretation and at least leaves you with a talking point.

Seeds Of Destruction [DVD]
Seeds Of Destruction [DVD]
Dvd ~ Adrian Pasdar
Price: 5.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special but I liked it., 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Seeds Of Destruction [DVD] (DVD)
A bit a of silly plot and so, so CGI. Acting was ok apart from the steriotyped military commanders who just want to bomb everything in every film.
But it held my interest and honestly I liked it. A bit of cheap fun to fill a an hour and a half.

Atlantic Rim [DVD]
Atlantic Rim [DVD]
Dvd ~ Graham Greene
Price: 5.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Atlantic Rim [DVD] (DVD)
OK I knew this was a cheap version of Pacific Rim but I expected at least a watchable film. Poor CGI, unbelievable steriotype characters and a plot with so many holes it could double as a string vest.

Avoid.

American Battleship [DVD]
American Battleship [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mario Van Peebles
Price: 7.60

3.0 out of 5 stars Another cheap copy..., 19 April 2012
This review is from: American Battleship [DVD] (DVD)
The Asylum are known for their cheap copies of successfull films and this is no different. Lots of people will buy this thinking its the other film so you'll see a lot of one star ratings, although the name change from Battleships to American Battleship should cure most of those.

But is it any good?

There are some recognizable names in the cast but they are either past their sell-by dates or couldn't act to start with. Worst offender being the most unbelievable Admiral in movie history.
CGI is OK, but then CGI is now cheap and easy to produce at a basic level. Special effects are abysmal. From dingy's that are so fake its untrue to M16's that have no recoil and make so little noise the aliens don't notice the battle in the cloaked ship, but they hear a 35mm camera winding on. The story was obviously filmed on an old battleship moored up somewhere so the scenes at sea seem surreal as the ship is rock solid and level all the time.

If you can see past all that (and like me you knew it wasn't the other film) its an enjoyable bit of fun that you watch once and never look at again. Its only 3 and I'm feeling generous so I give it 3 stars.

Motorola DP3400 digital radio D shape earpiece & microphone
Motorola DP3400 digital radio D shape earpiece & microphone
Offered by Communicate Mobile Ltd
Price: 21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very usefull, 24 Oct 2011
I bought this so I could use a radio in work hands free. I also wear ear plugs so I needed something that would sit over my ear rather than fit in the ear. This did the trick.
I work part of the time in a chilled food enviroment so wear a hat. At first the hat pressed the earpiece against my ear a bit harder than I liked, but I soon got used to it. Without the hat I soon forgot I had it on.
The microphone clips on my collar or upper chest. Its small and unobtrusive.
Even with earplugs the sound quality is crystal clear, without earplugs I need the volume turned well down or its too loud (the main radio volume control controls the earpiece volume).
The cable length is adequate to hang the radio on my waist. Possibly someone well over 6 feet tall might find it restrictive. After trial and error I found the best place for the radio was my jackets inside pocket.

Note. This uses the connector on the right hand side of the radio. Several of the DP3400 radio's in work have bigger aerials that use this connector to connect the aerial to the radio. If you have one of this type of DP3400 then you can't use the earpice/mic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2012 4:37 PM BST

Cowboys - The Complete First Series [DVD]
Cowboys - The Complete First Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Welland
Price: 8.07

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 27 July 2011
OK the jokes are obvious and past their sell-by date but its still funny. I've watched it through several times and it still makes me laugh.

Darren