Profile for Richard Brown > Reviews

Content by Richard Brown

Richard Brown "Quantumrich" (Clevedon, UK)

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
by Malcolm Gladwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminds you what thinking is about!, 20 Aug. 2010
In a world where we have mountains of data at our fingertips, Gladwell shows how this can paralyse us rather than empower us. He shows several situations where rapid decisions based on small amounts of data have given the best results. For anyone who's felt 'analysis paralysis', this book should help you be confident in some of your quick decisions!

Pistols at Dawn: A History of Duelling
Pistols at Dawn: A History of Duelling
by Richard Hopton

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating - a real insight into our recent history, and what made duelling finally become unfashionable, 8 Oct. 2009
Fascinating book charting the rise and fall of duelling around the world. From duels over great matters of state, down to duels over dogs fighting in the park. Really gives you a sense that while a few duels were worth fighting over, it was also a great waste of life. Still, whether the author intended it or not, I was left with quite a nostalgia for a time when men would defend their honour, often paying the ultimate price. If today's politicians had as much incentive to tell the truth, we might well have avoided much of the current mess.

Just as interesting as the duelling itself, is the rapid decline of its popularity in England (if not as rapid in the rest of Europe). It's a great lesson for anyone looking to change behaviour today, and an interesting account of the massive social change in Britain in the 19th century.

Light-hearted but certainly not light-weight, after reading this book you'll have the definitive knowledge behind duelling. If you're a fencer like me, that's pretty handy when waiting for your next fight. I also picked up some interesting insults to use on friends...

Thanks to Richard for opening up an important part of our history.

Black Holes And Revelations (Updated 09 version)
Black Holes And Revelations (Updated 09 version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Muse - one superbrilliant song, 31 July 2009
Fantastic album, which rewards repeat listenings. I still love 'supermassive black hole' above all else, as it just rocks. Play it on a good stereo system and you won't be disappointed.

I
I
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic acoustic seminal pop!, 1 Jun. 2004
This review is from: I (Audio CD)
Ignore the review above; while this album may be more acoustic than its predecessors, the sound is truly awesome. This is the first album I heard of The Magnetic Fields, and it really did blow me away. While it has something of an 80s synth feel to it, the use of violins, cello - even the banjo - make this album a joy to listen to. In addition, the sheer variety of styles, tied together by Meritt's hopeful yet melancholic vocals, makes this an album you will love on first hearing and hum the tunes to yourself for months. It's so good to find something simple and original these days!