Profile for Penfold > Reviews

Content by Penfold

Penfold "Grizzly hobbit" (Cornwall)

Allcam IT-735 USB 2.0 and e-SATA combo Enclosure for 3.5" SATA Hard Drives -Black
Offered by eHome

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints :) !!, 25 Jan. 2009
I had an old hard drive lying around so i thought "I know i'll turn it into an external". After ordering it, this product arrived within 3 days on the cheapest delivery type. Top stuff!

For the non-techie it might seem a bit daunting when it arrives with its own screw driver etc, but believe me, its sooo simple. I had it assembled in seconds. XPpro recognised it straight away and bingo i was backing up my music and pictures instantly.

Its also nice and quiet and looks fairly sleek on your desk. I'd definately buy another one :)

The Naming: The First Book of Pellinor (Books of Pellinor)|Books of Pellinor|Books of Pellinor (Books of Pellinor (Paperback))
by Alison Croggon

4.0 out of 5 stars in response, 22 Nov. 2008
In response to Alison's Croggans post below I would like to say a few things.

Firstly I have nearly finished the first book in the pellinor series and very good it is too, i would give it five stars but as I've not yet finished it, or the series as a whole i feel that would be unfair. It's a thoroughly engrossing, intelligent and pleasing fantasy novel.

To the comments made about similarities to Tolkien, true they are there, but they are openly made. To think that any fantasy novel (post tolkien) does not have any influence by his work is simply foolish. It is very similar to the fact that all rock music (post beatles) is in some way influenced by their work. It's inescapable.

Alisons comments about Tolkiens influences are true, he unashamedly stole from all manner of sources for his stories, but does that detract from their brilliance? in my opinion, no.

In the case of 'The Gift' I also feel that the quality of the novel is not lessened by the influences it draws on.

I hope the rest of the series continues in providing this reader with as much enjoyment as the first installment has (and still is).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2012 9:52 PM BST