Profile for Stuie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Don't Look Back
Don't Look Back

5.0 out of 5 stars I needn't have worried..., 4 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Don't Look Back (MP3 Download)
Although the physical CD isn't available yet, the 'autorip' version is, and having pre-ordered I just couldn't resist the opportunity to brighten up my holiday in Portugal with some new RSB grooves.

I love this band, I've seen them live three times, and have followed them avidly since the very start. And I must confess that I was a bit nervous about the new line-up. Devon's wonderful playing and voice, and Mike's searing guitar licks were surely irreplaceable in creating what I always considered to be a unique but somehow instantly recognisable sound?

Well, from the first bar of this new offering, I realised I needn't have worried. Obviously the character of the sound has changed with the new guitarists, but as before there is a wonderful range of textures and moods on this fabulous new album. Cyril is, as ever, irrepressible, and the rhythm section so ably manned by Charlie and Yonrico remains, in my humble opinion, one of the finest in current music of all genres.

I shall of course continue to follow Devon Allmann and Mike Zito in their solo efforts as they move on, but this album confirms that RSB is going to remain a major force without them. The concept of this band has been underpinned with a superb and powerful (in many ways) new departure.

Well done guys!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2015 4:18 PM BST

Gomorrah - Season 1 (English Subtitled)
Gomorrah - Season 1 (English Subtitled)

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting stuff, 17 May 2015
This is utterly addictive. I have long been a committed fan of the more quirky Italian drama, Il Commissario Montalbano etc., and despite the (for me) almost impenetrable Neapolitan dialect – I actually need the subtitles to assist – this is a riveting addition to the genre. Only six episodes in to the series so far, but I am glued. 'Donna Imma' transfixes me, and the other characterisations are superb as well, particularly the enigmatic Ciro.

Great plot, and really original. One almost sympathises/empathises with the scum of the earth it portrays!

The Greatest Swamp Blues
The Greatest Swamp Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical., 4 May 2015
Does what it says on the tin. Magical.

Orphan Black: Series One [DVD]
Orphan Black: Series One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tatiana Maslany
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for the laughs, 4 May 2015
I don't usually go for this sort of stuff, but this is somehow attention-grabbing.

I think what I like most is the way it doesn't take itself too seriously, indeed there is some very rich comedy entwined into this somewhat dark plot. Series 1, episode 6 is a great example of this, the casual observations of smug middle class white USA are priceless, I was howling with laughter, it really rips the piss.

As series 2 draws to a conclusion, I rather get the feeling that the storyline people are flailing for ideas, but nonetheless I keep watching, the laughs are worth the wait.

Some of the characters are wonderful, particularly the amazingly psychotic Helena, and 'camp Felix'.

And overall, as a concept, it's not bad as a story. Would probably have been better as two six-parters, though, there is a lot of unnecessary padding.

I'll give it four, though, for the humour..

Sound & Colour
Sound & Colour

3.0 out of 5 stars Second album blues, 24 April 2015
This review is from: Sound & Colour (Audio CD)
I listened to the new Alabama Shakes CD again today. Still disappointed. Big time ‘second album blues’, methinks. Actually, I blame their management and record company. I really don’t think their heart is in this new album. The songs are great, but they sound ‘wrong’. Commercialism, I fear, and in this case failed. Their original raw simplicity was their greatest appeal to me.

What I loved so much about the first one was its minimalist nature. This is all ‘big sound’ and multitracking. Not sure, to be honest. My initial reaction is that it can’t decide whether it wants to be a rock album or a soul album. The first one was a perfect, simple, fusion of rock AND soul. The delightful naÔveté, the raw and simplistic quirkiness, is largely absent here.

I’ll give it a few listens. Brittany is a fabulous singer, though, for that I’ll keep playing it - however, why does HER voice need to be multi-tracked? It isn’t grabbing me the way the first album did. I know this is a common problem with follow-ups.

It is far from bad, but if this had been the first album, I wouldn't have paid to see the band live as I did on the strength of its predecessor.

Dub Side Of The Mule [3CD+DVD] (3CD + DVD Deluxe Edition)
Dub Side Of The Mule [3CD+DVD] (3CD + DVD Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Audacious. Witty. Brilliant!, 6 April 2015
I'm a long-standing Mule fan – sadly they don't play often enough in the UK, but I have been privileged to see them live a few times. I have a ridiculously large collection of their music (about 80 hours at the last count).

I'm currently three tracks into disc 2 of this latest collection. It, on first listen so far, is utter joy. Which other band would consider juxtaposing 'Whiter Shade of Pale' and 'Tomorrow Never Knows' with 'Hard to Handle', then surround these with classic Mule blues-rock?

I adore reggae, have seen Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer live on stage in the past. And I saw Ziggy Marley last May here in London. Warren H is a very innovative musician.

In about an hour, by my listening schedule, Gregg Allmann enters the equation. How good can it get?

This is magical, a truly special musical experience. I truly wish I had been there in New York to witness this. It's, dare I say it, an audacious combination of musical styles, beautifully played and presented. Absolutely marvellous.

Hi-Bop Ska (The 30th Anniversa
Hi-Bop Ska (The 30th Anniversa

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyful, 2 Mar. 2015
I was eight years old when this album was first released (and of course, I was at the time totally unaware of the joys of Caribbean music). But as I reached my mid-teens, I grew to adore reggae (saw Bob M live back in the day), and Peter Tosh, and more recently Ziggy M just last year in Brixton.

I felt a need to find out about the theme tune to the BBC's 'Death in Paradise' series, which I also loved (both the programme and the music), and naturally that led me to 'You're Wondering Now'.

This is a joyful collection, guaranteed to bring a smile to one's face, especially when driving. Brilliant. Half a century on, and initially motivated by a 21st century television programme, I have now discovered gold from the 1960s.

Early Morning Shakes [UK Version]
Early Morning Shakes [UK Version]

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome (and I rarely use that word at my age), 1 Mar. 2015
Every once in a while, an album comes along that one just can't play enough. This is one of those.

I found this wonderful album by nefarious means, but I am so glad I did find it! Forget the 'Texas Country' genre label in iTunes, this is full on southern rock, albeit with some traditional country twists. More 'When the Levee Breaks' than 'A Boy Named Sue'. Fabulous production, really meaty sound, and man it rocks! This is my find of the year so far in 2015 (OK I'm late to the party, but boy I'm glad I came).

This is a riveting collection of songs. If your taste runs to Gov't Mule, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchett etc., just BUY! You won't be disappointed. I can't stop playing the thing. Hope they come to the UK soon, I just HAVE to see them live.

Vikings Season 3
Vikings Season 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad start, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Vikings Season 3 (Amazon Video)
Not a bad start to the new series, although I would perhaps question whether the Old Norse and Anglo-Saxon are entirely accurate linguistically. Fact is, I could understand both in this episode quite clearly without subtitles, they sound too modern for the time period for me (early 9th century). Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong. But it's only a bit of fun, eh? Good entertainment, as were the first two series. Looking forward to next week's programme.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2015 9:27 AM BST

Prisoners of War Season 1
Prisoners of War Season 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Four stars for David, 16 Feb. 2015
I'm somewhat surprised this was allowed to be made in Israel. From what we hear in Europe of the Jewish orthodox-dominated régime there, any questioning of the rationale behind the murderous and criminal tactics employed against the Palestinian nation by the Israeli government would be seriously frowned upon at the very least. However, this gives me a little hope that as with all people around the globe, it is only the hideous, extreme, minority that holds the power. Everyone else, to that awful minority, is expendable, because they are normal human beings.

I'm not quite so vehemently anti-Israel as I was before I watched this - but hey, maybe I have been double-bluffed, and this is just really clever propaganda sponsored by the men with sideburns and frock coats.

Well, whatever, it's not a bad watch in a dramatic sense, pretty well acted and in general fairly well scripted and filmed, albeit with a few clumsy lapses of continuity.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12