Profile for Balraj Gill > Reviews

Charley Says... The Best Public Information Films In The World [1970] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Various
Offered by JAY MAKER

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember... SPLINK!!, 12 Aug. 2004
This DVD is a fantastic collection of films that will bring so many memories flooding back. The fashions, the cars, the sideburns!!
On a serious note, many (if not nearly all) of the messages have relevance still today and when my 2 kids are older, I'll definitely sit them down in front of them. Even now my pre-school child loves the Tufty the Squirrel.
One thing which prevents me from giving it 5 stars are the technical DVD features. Often, whilst playing from the start, the DVD suddenly stops halfway through. Plus, I found I couldn't use the skip function like on other DVDs and the random play often seems to keep coming back to the same films again and again. Perhaps my DVD player can't cope with having 150-odd chapters!!
But on the whole, a very worthwhile purchase and a great time capsule.

Election [1999] [DVD]
Election [1999] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Broderick
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superbly Crafted Film, 31 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Election [1999] [DVD] (DVD)
Alexander Payne has come up with a film that is such a delight to watch again and again. It is a film which glaringly shows up the fallibility of most human beings. It is also a film where all the characters look normal, not like they've just stepped off the pages of a glossy magazine. I have not seen Broderick and Witherspoon perform better than in Election.
Some people may view Election as too cynical for their tastes. Indeed, if you want an idealistic film, you should look elsewhere. But if want a film that shows up the weaknesses inherent in all of us, you can do no better than Election.