Profile for Graeme Stewart > Reviews

Content by Graeme Stewart

Graeme Stewart "echosnare" (Glasgow)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Midwife's Here!
The Midwife's Here!
by Linda Fairley
Price: 3.86

4.0 out of 5 stars And the Midwife was called, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Midwife's Here! (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was something my wife picked up on, on the back of the success of "Call the Midwife" on TV. She tells me she thoroughly enjoyed the book, and it has a similar mix of humour and pathos as the stories from the (unrelated)TV series.

Borgia - Complete Season One [DVD]
Borgia - Complete Season One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Isolda Dychauk
Price: 16.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor*, 24 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
*Buyer Beware! This is NOT the Jeremy Irons SKY1 series, as we thought, but a tatty European production, with only one name in it,and I can only assume he was hard up and desperate for work when he did it. Even my step-daughter, who watches a lot of crap TV didn't enjoy it. I know, I should have checked before requesting it, but you know how it is with the Vine, if you snooze, you lose.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2013 12:43 PM GMT

Tefal GV7450 Express Anti-Calc Steam Generator
Tefal GV7450 Express Anti-Calc Steam Generator
Price: 154.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Steamier than "Fifty Shades of Grey", 24 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife is obsessed with steam irons, particulary these big steam generating ones. Her first question when the Vine newsletters come in is always "Are there any irons?". Well, since she got this one, she has been over the moon, as it knocks the spots off her previous one. No one else is allowed to use it, as she says it's too complicated for men, but she does say it has more controlability than her previous one, and it requires less topping up than it too. My only complaint is that it tends to steam up the windows, and gives the neighbours the wrong impression......

The Dark Garden
The Dark Garden
by Eden Bradley

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear..., 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Dark Garden (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If anyone has read my review of "Fifty Shades Of Mr Darcy: A Parody", they will know what I mean when I say that this is one of the EL James copyists my step-daughter was referring to when she told me what she thought of "Mr Darcy". Once again, I haven't read this, so I am going by her opinion. Me? I have a weird enough imagination without reading these things, my wife says.....

Kitchin Suppers
Kitchin Suppers
by Tom Kitchin
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Work Of A Genius, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Kitchin Suppers (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used to be a chef, and I have a Tom Kitchin cookery book, but I think I still have a long way to go before I'll be able to cook some of the amazing dishes in this book! The guy is a genius, and I love his use of quality locally sourced produce, but my technique is way too rusty to get the recipes close to perfection. I am also the only good cook in this house, so I can't even hand the book to anyone else to have them cook for me! It is inspiring, though, beautifully illustrated, and clearly explained. Don't be put off by this review, buy it, and revel at the wonders Mr Kitchin produces, and then try your best....

Fifty Shades of Mr Darcy: A Parody
Fifty Shades of Mr Darcy: A Parody
by William Codpiece Thwackery

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but...., 24 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this, primarily for my step-daughter to read, as she is an avid reader of the Fifty Shades type stories. I have to confess that I haven't read it myself, so I can only tell you what she said of it. " It's funny, but not as laughable as some of the ones that try to copy EL James"!

She did enjoy it, though, so I assume she'll give it a recommendation, hence the 3 stars.

Chilling Ghost Stories
Chilling Ghost Stories
by Charles Dickens
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Classics, beautifully read., 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Chilling Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Amazon Vine always comes up trumps in the late autumn, with a nice Ghost Story audiobook, and this one, having the classic Charles Dickens tale "The Signalman" was a must have for me. The four tales, read beautifully by Andrew (He's from Barcelona!) Sachs, are by the aforementioned Dickens, MR James and EF Benson. I hadn't read any Benson before, and these stories have prompted an interest in finding out more, as they are as gripping and chilling as the more well known stories that accompany them. Much as I love to read such stories myself, there is something about listening to these readings, and those by Sir Derek Jacobi, that adds an extra little chill, on a dark winters night.

The only thing that would make a ghost story audiobook even better would be for someone out there to make the readings by Sir Michael Hordern available again.... But that is another story.....

Lonely Planet Pocket Paris (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Pocket Paris (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy in my pocket, 24 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An ideal little tome, for a long weekend in Paris. It is a lot handier than my other Paris guides, but as informative as any, and when we head there in the spring, won't get in the way as much on our romantic strolls!

David Mitchell: Back Story
David Mitchell: Back Story
by David Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Briliant!, 24 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone who watches Mr Mitchell on any of the TV panel shows he appears on will love this. You can hear his voice so clearly as you read, and he wheels off on one of his characteristic rants! This was another book that kept me company in my sickbead, when the man flu laid me low recently, and it proved more of a pick me up than all the Lemsip and cough medicine my other half plied me with. It is real laugh out loud stuff, and anyone who appreciates intelligent comedy will love this. And not just in their sick bed either!

AVG Internet Security 2013 and TuneUp Utilities 2013 - 4 User 1 year License(PC)
Price: 37.44

5.0 out of 5 stars The best AVG yet., 24 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've previously used AVG as a free user, but this version is lightyears ahead of that. It works away unobtrusively, updating itself when no one is looking, and offering excellent real time protection. The user interface is the best yet too, and the whole thing is feature packed. This edition came with the bonus of AVG Tune Up Utilities 2013, which I am using to compare with Magix PC Check & Tuner. Both have their advantages, but AVG scores in also performing real time optimisation, as well as registry and drive checks & defrags. I think I will be sticking with AVG in future, as I don't see the opposition doing anything to keep up with what's on offer here.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20