Profile for Lydia Clare > Reviews

Content by Lydia Clare

Lydia Clare (Winsford England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!, 17 May 2010
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
First of all i'd like to say that I was agnostic before I read this book.
I am sixteen and was never forced to believe in any God but I was encouraged to learn about other cultures and the things that affect day to day life.(My two best friends are Jehovah's Witnesses and the rest Agnostics) So I read the Bible but was utterly unconvinced of its 'power' or religious meaning concerning myself. It merely felt like a book af fairy tales. I then read many other religious books and scriptures and was unsure. I then read The God Delusion.
I am now an Atheist.
Dawkins explained everything. How religion can be harmful to the average person not just from an extremeist's point of view, how it can be a source of comfort and whether that is a good or bad thing in todays society. I have discussed with my friends their childhood and told them that I see their religious upbringing as indoctrination.They completely disagree as an indoctrinated person would do but still listen which is so important nowadays. Just listening to other people's opinions can be very useful. I have now read many of the books Dawkins mentioned and re-read the bible. My opinion is the same, science will always explain the REASON behind religion, the pathological need for a God to explain the things we can't or find it hard to deal with. The thought,to me, that there is some supernatural being who takes a specific interest in each of our lives is preposterous and frankly a little self-centered. I do not profess to be Einstein nor do I think that people should be so bothered as to be offended by my opinion but I do believe that this novel provides a fantastic insight into the world of enlightenment without religion. A safer more beautiful world.
This is just my opinion but do read this regardless of your religious status because I think it is a truly engaging novel that provides answers the Bible never could.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2010 11:34 AM BST

Being Human: The Road
Being Human: The Road
by Simon Guerrier

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read., 17 May 2010
This review is from: Being Human: The Road (Paperback)
This is book one in the Being Human series and it doesn't disappoint.
It has the same tone as the brilliant series and so doesn't seem completely unattached as some t.v books can. It mentions many of the events from series one and two which were very good additions.
The main storyline is engaging and gripping. The only reason it does not gain 5 stars from me is because it's conclusion did feel a little rushed but overall a very good read.

Summer Heights High (3 Disc Special Edition)
Summer Heights High (3 Disc Special Edition)
Offered by dawlishboy

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Australian Comedy!, 19 April 2010
Having watched all Chris Lilley's previous shows (We Can Be Heroes and Big Bite)I didn't think he could ever top them.
He has.
This show is a fantastic triumph for Lilley and all observational comedy. Each of Lilley's characters is fabulous and hilarious.
Ja'mie is the perfect look at a teenage narcissist, Jonah is the best performance of a troubled teen I have ever seen and Mr G is the greatest drama teacher to ever be captured on film!!
I first bought the two disc dvd that was issued for us in the u.k and with 3 hours of extras it was worth it but I still wanted more of this amazing show.
This dvd came from Australia in less than a fortnight and was in perfect condition. It played fine on my region 2 dvd player.
There are 5 hours of pure extras not to mention the eight episodes of Summer Heights High itself.
There are some real gems in there and it was worth every penny.
I beg you to buy this, even if you already have the u.k edition, it is outstanding!!

Being Human: Series One [DVD]
Being Human: Series One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Tovey
Offered by 247dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Drama And Hilarious Comedy!, 19 April 2010
A brilliant series from beginning to end.
The three main characters, Mitchell, George and Annie, are completely three dimensional and believable.
Each episode is an hour of great entertainment and the series as a whole is unmissable!
Great acting and fabulous writing, a must see for all horror, fantasy and comedy fans!

Extras - The Special [DVD]
Extras - The Special [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Gervais
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Ending To A Perfect Show!, 19 April 2010
This review is from: Extras - The Special [DVD] (DVD)
This is a brilliant show and this last installment just shows what great writers and performers Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais are.
Not only is it completely hilarious but as it reaches its halfway point the atmospheric tone of it changes to a more serious take on the acting business and the trappings of celebrity without comprimising the comedy.
The performances from all the cast are just right and always natural and honest with a special mention for Ashley Jenson (Maggie) who is fabulous.
A must see for all Gevais/Merchant fans and any fans of intelligent comedy.
10 out of 10!!!

The Whale Rider (New Windmills KS3)
The Whale Rider (New Windmills KS3)
by Witi Tame Ihimaera

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book!, 7 April 2010
Having watched the film I rushed to read this.
I was not disappointed.
It contains a riveting, magical and enlightning plot and language that is almost poetry.
The deep Moari culture is depicted with love and care.
A beautiful tale for children and adults alike!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2011 10:11 AM BST

Double Cross: Book 4 (Noughts And Crosses)
Double Cross: Book 4 (Noughts And Crosses)
by Malorie Blackman

5.0 out of 5 stars A Triple Tick For Double Cross!!, 3 April 2010
Having enjoyed the previous books in this series I stayed up all night reading Double Cross.
I was not in the least bit disappointed by this outstanding novel.
It centers around Tobey who I didn't love in the previous novel but immediately connected with through this book. He goes on a journey that takes all of your preconceptions of this series and throws them out the window. It felt utterly believable and you feel every kick, punch and heartfelt exchange Tobey has to endure.
A must read for 0 and X's fans and as a stand alone novel it would also fair well.
I loved this book and i confess, i found this more compelling and ground breaking then it's predecessors, bar 0 and X's of course!!

Quidditch Through the Ages
Quidditch Through the Ages
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Gem Of A Book!, 30 Mar. 2010
A perfect companion to the Harry Potter novels as it is mentions numerous times in the books and even quoted.
I was anxious to read it and was not in the least bit disappointed!
Witty and imaginative, this is the perfect book for fans of H.P and also for young readers as an introduction into the world of MAGIC!!

OST-TWILIGHT SAGA NEW MOON
OST-TWILIGHT SAGA NEW MOON
Offered by right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Break Up Album!, 30 Mar. 2010
Every track on this outstanding album is relatable!
Each one gives it's own unique perspective on the beauty of the story and yet doesn't try to overtake it but compliments it with powerful subtlety.
I must say that my favourite track on this album is Possibility by Lykke Li. This is because it's haunting vocals and moving instrumentals sum up the feeling of loss, anguish and desperate hope that is within all of us.
A must buy for Twilight Saga fans and anyone who believes in the beauty of music and it's power to tell a story.

Checkmate: Book 3 (Noughts And Crosses)
Checkmate: Book 3 (Noughts And Crosses)
by Malorie Blackman

4.0 out of 5 stars A Check For Checkmate!, 30 Mar. 2010
Having read the previous books in the Noughts and Crosses sequence I had rather high expectations.
However I was not left disappointed! This book really packs a punch and tackles some issues that are rare to find in any other young adult books.
I found the character of Callie Rose very identifiable and the Jasmine thread moving.
On the other hand, Sephy's growth as a character felt a little drawn out and lost my full attention.
Although this did not put me off the novel and once i had finished i was satisfied with the final outcome for Sephy.
The inclusion of Jude was a masterstroke as he provides one with the POV of a fully indoctrinated member of the L.M.
A thought provoking and shocking ending made this book better but it fails to succeed in beating it's predecessors.
Overall a compelling piece of writing which lingers on long after you finish the final page.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3