Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LG BP325 3D Slim Smart Blu-ray Player - Black
LG BP325 3D Slim Smart Blu-ray Player - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite as good as I had expected, 22 Feb. 2015
This Blu-ray player was specifically chosen for use with my LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD television with the idea that having the same brand of product would maximise compatibility in use. I'd also seen that this particular model was highly regarded in various reviews and offered a good compromise between price and features. It did not come with an HDMI cable (very few things do unfortunately) but was simple to connect up when I obtained one. The compatibility I'd hoped for seems to be there although I have been a little disappointed to find that they don't work as well together as I had expected. For instance, I had to actually enable to Simplink feature on my TV to make it talk fully to the Blu-ray player rather than it being enabled by default, and even when fully functional I still cannot make the TV revert to normal broadcasts when I finish watching my film and turn of the player.

Those little gripes aside I can confirm that it does work well as a player of Blu-ray, DVD and CD discs and I am generally pleased with it. It does have a suite of `Smart' features installed which work very similarly to those already on my television set and it also has a USB connector placed very conveniently on the front of the machine where I can attach flash drives etc in order to view photographs and videos from my camera or computer. Start up times are reasonable but not as fast as the product description would suggest and the player is very quiet in operation with no annoyingly bright lights on show as a distraction.

TCP GU10 5 Watt LED Halogen Spotlight Replacement, Pack of 6, White
TCP GU10 5 Watt LED Halogen Spotlight Replacement, Pack of 6, White

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent substitute for a traditional 50w halogen bulb, 22 Feb. 2015
I originally had a single unit of this bulb and was so impressed that I have since bought some more in the form of this six pack. I'm pleased to be able to say that unlike some other LED bulbs that I have tried the description of `warm white' should actually apply to it, and despite being rated at 3000k (colour temperature) it is actually warmer in tone than expected and makes an excellent substitute for a traditional 50w halogen bulb. More often than not my experience has been that the light from LED bulbs is too clinical and white despite being described as warm but this one suits my purposes perfectly. I have them in recessed fittings in a bathroom and find that the light they provide compliments skin tones nicely whilst still offering plenty of light. The actual lamps have a white plastic body which is best suited with white lamp fixtures but does look ok with silver ones too.

Igenix PTC Ceramic Fan Heater, 1800 Watt, Silver
Igenix PTC Ceramic Fan Heater, 1800 Watt, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern heating technology, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst it doesn't look very fancy or expensive this fan heater from Igenix does what it's supposed to do and uses modern ceramic heating technology to achieve it. The PTC (positive thermal coefficient) ceramic heating element is what makes this fan-heater a little bit different from many others although I'm unsure whether that means it's more efficient as a heater or simply more powerful for its physical size. It has a silver-coloured plastic body which incorporates a carry handle and grilles to the front and back for the air intake and outlet. The controls are fairly simple and are just two dials set on the top of the machine; on the left is the fan control which can be set for cool air and also the two heat output levels. The right-hand dial is a numbered thermostat which you can set to an appropriate level for the room temperature, and then when the heater detects that the room is at the temperature it switches off until the temperature has fallen again.

The fan speed is constant whatever setting you choose and whilst it's not noisy it can still be heard so probably wouldn't be suitable for use in a room whilst sleeping. The heat output is rated at a maximum of 1800w which makes it more suited to a small to medium sized room rather than anything bigger, but I like the fact that the heater itself is fairly compact and the carry-handle certainly makes handling it much simpler and safer. The power cord is around 1.5m/5ft and I've found it to be about the right length for most purposes.

Unlike our other (much older) fan heater I was pleased to see that this one has a safety cut out switch underneath which cuts the power to the heater if it is picked up or knocked over and another internal cut-out which stops the power in the event that the product overheats. It may not look very exciting but this is a perfectly functional fan heater which I've found to do its job very well, and there's also a two-year warranty included for additional peace of mind.

Remington Indestructible Beard Trimmer
Remington Indestructible Beard Trimmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly marketing, 20 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone easily offended by absurd packaging should avoid this beard trimmer set from Remington. The fact that it is being marketed as `indestructible' seems to have sent the sales team into a spin as it is supplied in a tough plastic box more suited to a power tool than a grooming product. I wouldn't mind so much but once you've opened it the box is pretty useless since there isn't any proper way to keep everything in order inside - for distribution Remington are relying on pieces of plain cardboard to fill the space. It's a shame that they haven't put a moulded interior inside so that it could at least continue to be used to house the trimmer after delivery. Even if the trimmer body is virtually unbreakable it still has vulnerability in the blades - when you drop it on them you'll be forking out for a new set of blades, if not a whole new trimmer.

The trimmer itself is a comparatively hefty beast - it is roughly the size of a men's shaver and larger than your typical beard trimmer. Although I do like the feel of the unit (it is nice and grippy), when I'm using it the extra size and weight do make using it a trickier affair than it might have been, and it's certainly not as useable as my other beard trimmer Wahl Lithium Pro Stubble Trimmer. I've been using the Wahl for a few months now and in comparison this one from Remington is certainly not as good. For example, the Remington regularly pulls hairs whilst the Wahl one does not, and it's not as accurate to use in trickier areas such as around the mouth either, even when using the smaller blade set. Although the Remington isn't a bad product I have to say that given the choice of the two the Wahl is a definite winner.

StarTech Mini USB Cable - A to Left Angle Mini B - 6 Feet (USB2HABM6LA)
StarTech Mini USB Cable - A to Left Angle Mini B - 6 Feet (USB2HABM6LA)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 20 Feb. 2015
I ordered this cable through Marketplace seller Kikatek and I'm very pleased with it. It is exactly as described, seems to be well made and works perfectly for me. I'm using it to attach to a device which I have permanently mounted and this cable replaces the original one since the angled connector means that it makes a neater job.

Stanley Multibit Ratchet Screw Driver and Bits
Stanley Multibit Ratchet Screw Driver and Bits
Offered by hijsalesquality

5.0 out of 5 stars So good that I've got three of them, 19 Feb. 2015
I was so impressed with the first of these screwdrivers when I bought it some years ago that I've since bought two more. All of them are working perfectly despite considerable use and I find them extremely handy to use - there's one in the kitchen drawer for quick jobs, with the others in my tool box and in the garage. Despite being dropped I haven't broken any of them, and the only casualties have been some of the driver bits which have worn from excessive use. They are standard bits which are easily (and cheaply) replaced if necessary, and the tool itself is very well made and comfortable to use. My Dad and my brother also own these screwdrivers and I know that they regard theirs as highly as I do mine.

Jabra Evolve 65 Wireless Bluetooth UC Stereo Headset
Jabra Evolve 65 Wireless Bluetooth UC Stereo Headset
Offered by IvoryEgg

4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice but there are some issues, 16 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A look at the Amazon and Jabra websites for the Evolve 65 headset make it clear that the product is aimed at business users. The idea is that the comfortable headset allows users to make the most of its noise-cancelling capabilities to reduce distractions in noisy office environments whilst still offering good sound quality. The headset is optimised for office use with particular attention to making and taking phone calls but I was a little disappointed to find that it isn't fully set up for use with music, and there aren't buttons to skip tracks etc. Despite the fact that most of these headsets won't see much use for listening to music they are quite good for it. Sound quality did seem to be a little dull when I first tried them, but changing the settings on my MP3 player soon improved that and with minutes I had them performing well.

The supplied instructions are pretty poor and I found it to be worthwhile downloading the full guide from the Jabra website. However, that isn't perfect either since despite the headset being labelled as NFC (Near Field Communication) I could find no mention of the facility in the guide and haven't been able to connect through NFC with any other device. Normally this is as simple as touching the two devices together but I couldn't make it work at all. Normal pairing through Bluetooth was simple and worked perfectly every time. The Bluetooth range is good enough for most purposes but for some reason it wasn't as good as I have experienced with some other Bluetooth headphones. There are some shortcomings with the Jabra Evolve 65 but in the office environment that they are designed for they won't be big issues and I think they would be a good choice of headset.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2015 9:27 AM GMT

Philips BRT381/15 BikiniGenie Trimmer
Philips BRT381/15 BikiniGenie Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use for good results, 8 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This BikiniGenie trimmer comes complete with everything you need to get started - even a battery, and I like that it includes a travel pouch and a brush to remove clippings from the trimmer. The trimmer can be used without comb attachment and I'm glad to say does not result in any nicks or cuts. Used in that way it is possible to trim the hairs to a very short length of around 0.5mm, and although that obviously isn't as close as shaving it's certainly good enough for most occasions. The comb attachment allows for trimming to a longer length (around 3mm) and also works well, but I'd have liked to see the option of other lengths too. The shaving head is reasonably compact and allows for easier, more accurate trimming although that does mean it takes longer to trim larger areas. The bright pink colouring certainly makes it clear that this trimmer is for ladies, but in use it feels good to use (not too heavy) and the rubberised finish on the handle means that it's still easy to grip even with wet hands.

Rolson 72 Led Portable Magnetic Worklight Torch Camping Light 61770
Rolson 72 Led Portable Magnetic Worklight Torch Camping Light 61770
Offered by Office Stationery Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Second purchase, 8 Feb. 2015
I first bought this lamp four years ago and since then I have used it in various situations around my home when a bit of extra light is needed. It has proven to be very tough and has survived several significant drops without damage, and it’s also very economical with battery life too which is great considering how much light it provides. I’ve been so happy with my purchase that I bought another one recently – it seems that you can never have too many torches!

LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD
LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD
Offered by Tvsandmore

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 8 Feb. 2015
I was limited in my choice of new television by the size available for it. A 42" screen was deemed to be the best fit which ruled out my first choice manufacturer of Samsung as they don't produce that size of screen at the moment. Research on technical and consumer websites including Which magazine suggested that the best options were either a Sony branded box or one from LG so I spent quite a bit of time making a decision, and made some trips to see the sets in action before deciding upon the LG 42LB650V. It is made in a dark silver coloured frame which is actually quite attractive, and although I'd originally wanted a black finish I can say that I think that this one does look very good.

The supplied instructions aren't very good to be honest, particularly for assembling the stand - the booklet covers various models of television and several types of stand but doesn't clearly show the assembly in my view. It wasn't complicated but having spent hundreds of pounds on a new TV it would have been reassuring for the guide to have been better. Setting it up took a while going through the built-in procedure and then there was an update available for it which gave it LG's latest firmware, but having done similar setting-up before I managed it okay.

The screen performance is much better than I had expected on both standard and high definition broadcasts and the sound is pretty good too. I have no plans to add a separate sound system to it, and in my case I think that it will be fine as it is. Connectivity is pretty good although I a little disappointed not to find the USB and HDMI connections closer to the edge of the set. They are actually located around the back which means that there's a little further to reach when I connect a USB stick or my camera (using a HDMI cable) to view images. The smart features that come installed are pretty good, and quite easy to use. BBC iPlayer is pre-installed which is a bonus.

I've just ordered the LG BP325 3D Slim Smart Blu-ray Player - Black to use with this television with the idea of better compatibility in being the same brand. So far I've been very impressed with what I have seen and must say that I have been pleasantly surprised by how good this set actually is.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20