Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

Logitech Type-S Keyboard Protective Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Logitech Type-S Keyboard Protective Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab S

4.0 out of 5 stars The top choice keyboard case for the Tab S, 26 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the fact that several improvements have been made to this case compared to the very similar cases that Logitech has produced for other tablets. It's not adjustable for angle but there is now a very effective magnetic arm to hold the case in position when open and I have found that it works well. The general standard of manufacture is very high, as you'd expect from this brand and also at this sort of price. It's certainly not a cheap cover but from experience I have to say that cheap is not the way to go with keyboards or cases. Personally, I'd have liked more padding or soft material in the case as I think it would offer more peace of mind when it comes to accidental knocks and drops, but the harder plastic used should at least make it hard-wearing and it's likely to retain its good looks for longer.

Setting up proved to be easy when it came to pairing the tablet to the keyboard, with no issues. Although it's not a full-sized keyboard it is very nicely spaced out and enables easy, comfortable typing. I find that I make far fewer mistakes using this keyboard than with some other Bluetooth keyboards that I have used, even larger ones. It has a good action on the keys with just enough travel to feel right, but not so much that the keyboard would have to be made physically deeper.

I particularly appreciate that the keyboard has a UK £ sign on it, unlike so many stand-alone Bluetooth keyboards. The battery life has so far proven to be excellent too. There's a USB cable included in the box to enable charging, although there isn't anywhere on the case to actually store it. Maybe a retractable cable could be included in future models? The function where the tablet automatically goes into sleep mode when the cover is closed is something that I really like - it's often the little things like that which makes the difference between a good product and a great one. If the price is right then this is the top choice cover for this tablet.

Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 6 Watt LED Dimmable Luster, Warm White
Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 6 Watt LED Dimmable Luster, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very pleased with this bulb, 24 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unusually for a modern bulb, this LED bulb from Philips is actually quite attractive and even looks good when in view rather than hidden away inside a lamp. I've used it to replace a golf ball sized bulb in a lamp that has limited space inside, and it has proven to be the perfect fit. The old one was a low-energy bulb that was supposed to be equivalent to a 40w incandescent but this is much brighter and has a pleasant white light. Switch-on is instant (unlike some LED bulbs) with a good spread of light rather than a narrow beam. I've also tried it in an open chandelier-style light fitting and it looks far nicer than the other bulbs which are fitted. I'm contemplating buying more of these LED bulbs to replace them but I'd also need some to match with a bayonet fitting and unfortunately they don't seem to be available. I hope that Philips will expand their range to include that fitting as I'm very pleased with this bulb.

The Man Who Risked It All
The Man Who Risked It All
by Laurent Gounelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 16 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Man Who Risked It All reminded me of the kind of books you read as a child which have lessons within the story, and it did feel a little off-putting to this adult. It's certainly not great literature in the normal sense, although the writing is perfectly acceptable. I can't decide whether I was naturally wary of the neuro-linguistic programming or whether it was just an uninvolving novel but either way I can only say that it was `okay' and that I have no plans to read more from this author.

Nerf N-Strike Elite Nerfcam ECS-12 Blaster
Nerf N-Strike Elite Nerfcam ECS-12 Blaster

4.0 out of 5 stars You should have seen their faces..., 8 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My previous experience of Nerf guns was mostly when I've been at the receiving end of an attack from younger relatives. You should have seen their faces when I turned up with this beast! There were admiring glances all around... once they'd suffered my retaliation Nerf style. There's no longer a need to try describing that fantastic shot which hit Uncle Charlie on the back of the head as this Nerf records the moment using its in-built camera. There's even a 4GB memory card included in the set so disappointment on Christmas morning can be avoided as long as you remember that you still need to find 8 x AA batteries to make it work.

The usual rules apply regarding safety and it's wise to avoid the face when firing this gun, but the `bullets' are made from foam with plastic tips so are pretty safe. Everyone who tried it found the gun itself was easy to use and good fun. The quality of the video recordings is not brilliant but is certainly good enough for this purpose, and it was a good development from the other Nerf guns we'd seen previously.

Classic British Comedies The DVD Board Game
Classic British Comedies The DVD Board Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 3 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Some of my friends and I enjoy a pub quiz but games such as this one are a good diversion for nights at home. We played this one a couple of times at the weekend and found it to be good fun, and unlike some others it's one that we'll probably play again. We thought that the questions were a pretty good mix so long as you like TV comedies and the game itself was easy to play with no complicated rules. We used a normal DVD player rather than a laptop and that seemed to work well. It is a good, fun game and we enjoyed playing it.

National Service: Conscription in Britain, 1945-1963
National Service: Conscription in Britain, 1945-1963
by Richard Vinen

4.0 out of 5 stars More readable than I'd expected, 3 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
National service was one of those things I'd heard of but actually knew little about; my older relatives were either serving during WW2 or came of age after NS had ended. This book provides a picture of it in a surprisingly interesting way; I'd anticipated a very dry book but it proved to be far more readable than I'd expected. At 640 pages the book is quite long but that does include well over 100 pages of notes and bibliography, and I'd suggest that prospective readers shouldn't be put off by either its size or its subject.

Pinzon Plush Velvet Throw Spa Green
Pinzon Plush Velvet Throw Spa Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxuriously soft, 3 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd never heard of the Pinzon brand until I had this plush velvet throw, but I suspect that I'll be getting more of them based on how pleased I am with this particular product. It's not quite big enough for use as bedding (it might be okay for a single bed) but is ideal for use when you want something wrapped around you for extra warmth; a pleasant autumn evening outside was made perfectly comfortable with it around me. It has also washed perfectly so far and still has that lovely soft feeling afterwards. I'm not especially taken with the colour of mine (spa green) but it's not unpleasant, and the throw is well made with good stitching to the sides.

Samsung Galaxy S5 For Dummies
Samsung Galaxy S5 For Dummies
by Bill Hughes

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the right button to press, 2 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be fair the Android operating system is fairly intuitive, and with a bit of experimentation it's possible to figure your way around things without the use of a guide like this one. However, quite a lot of people (including some friends of mine) wouldn't dream of using a gadget such as a smartphone without some decent guidance to point them in the right direction, which is where this Dummies guide comes into its own.

I am familiar with using Android phones and tablets but was interested to see just how much extra I could learn from this book, and would it be something that I could recommend to my friends? It does deal with a lot of the basic stuff which will only really be useful to absolute beginners, but it does present it well and anyone who has used a Dummies guide before will know that it is written to be easily understood but without being condescending.

To be fair I have learned more than I thought I would and I can now make use of some features that I'd ignored before, so even more experienced users can learn something from it. However, the guide's prime target is those people who are new to Android or new to the Samsung Galaxy S5 and it does a very good job of helping them, and making sense of those things which at first look impossible. If you have a GS5 in your hand and can't make the most of it then you could do a lot worse that read this book.

Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023

4.0 out of 5 stars Never too much, 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You can never have too much storage. That's a simple fact of life and is why I've embraced this style of box for a number of years. This one from Leitz is very good and is easily collapsible for those times when its not needed, but is surprisingly sturdy when it is together. I like the fact that it has handles for easy carrying and there's a slot for identification labels which is more of a necessity than a luxury. Mine is in a shocking shade of pink but is attractive all the same, and helps to distinguish between boxes by colour. The RRP is a little on the high side but I guess that's the price of good design and materials.

The Girl With A Clock For A Heart
The Girl With A Clock For A Heart
by Peter Swanson

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the film, 15 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Early reviews had led me to hope that this novel would be one of those rare gems that get under the skin and grip the reader 'till the end. Unfortunately, it's not. Ultimately it was an okay story which passed away some time but was not something that I can recommend for or against. Yes, it has good points but there are many bad ones

The unresolved ending was a disappointment; with so much detail going in to other parts of the book it felt like a cop-out and as if the author had simply run out of time or effort. In my opinion it would be better to wait for the film as at least then you'll only have wasted a couple of hours of your time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20