Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
First Alert CO-FA-9B Carbon Monoxide Alarm
First Alert CO-FA-9B Carbon Monoxide Alarm

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't help wondering why I have never fitted one before, 2 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although we've had smoke detectors installed in the home for many years this is our first carbon monoxide sensor. They aren't as widely known about as the more common warning device but it seems that they are just as important. Any fuel-burning device can produce carbon monoxide and because it has no taste or smell it is sometimes called `the silent killer' and has featured in quite a few unfortunate news items. There are quite a few good articles on the internet about the gas including one on the NHS website but basically it is produced when fossil fuels are not burnt fully such as in faulty gas fires or boilers and with blocked chimneys when coal fires are used.

This particular CO sensor is small but functional and I was impressed to see that it came complete with batteries and a fixing kit. It can simply be placed on a shelf or similar position, or otherwise it can be mounted in place. It is supposed to be replaced after seven years of use so it is important to note the date of installation and the packaging suggests that it should be used in domestic premises, caravans, holiday homes etc. but not on boats. The item itself appears to be functional but basic and is made from a white plastic, and apparently it is resistant to false alarms. It isn't very obtrusive so to be fair I have found that it blends into my home without drawing too much attention to itself although I'd have preferred smaller branding on it. I can't help wondering why I have never fitted one before, but I'm glad that I have one now.

The Bones of You
The Bones of You
by Debbie Howells

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly gripping, 28 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Bones of You (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I hadn’t read the other novels that The Bones of You has been compared to in other reviews so have not been worried by any similarities in their content. What I did find was a very good thriller which kept up a very good pace throughout and did a good job of engaging me as a reader. I liked the way that the story was told from two angles, with chapters where the missing girl tells her story and found it to be a surprisingly gripping book. I’d also be very surprised if this novel doesn’t get made into a television series or film.

Hallmark Large Mum and Dad Traditional Embossed Golden Anniversary Card
Hallmark Large Mum and Dad Traditional Embossed Golden Anniversary Card

4.0 out of 5 stars An attractive traditionally styled card, 28 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a traditionally styled card for Mum and Dad on their golden wedding anniversary. It is approximately 7" wide and 10" high which means that it will count as a large letter for the UK post. The picture on the front is attractive and features pink and white roses with butterflies and a thin cream ribbon with bow to the left hand side of the card. It is fairly high quality as you'd expect from Hallmark although I was a little disappointed to find some creasing of the inner pages caused by the way it has been glued into the card. It is not bad enough to say that the card is faulty but I wouldn't normally expect to see it in a card like this. The verse is both pleasant and appropriate, and it came supplied with white envelope which was embossed with the Hallmark brand.

Men Rock Soothing Beard Balm 100ml
Men Rock Soothing Beard Balm 100ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best scent, 22 Jun. 2015
Before using this one I had already tried and been impressed with another scent in the range of beard balms from Men Rock Men Rock Sicilian Lime and Caffeine Awakening Beard Balm. Because of that I was looking forward to using this 'Oak Moss' version too but must admit to being disappointed by the scent as it smells quite strongly of oil of cloves which is a smell that I associate with going to the dentist. Once the initial burst of fragrance has calmed down it is less noticeable but I'm not keen on wearing it and have been keeping it for when I'm not going out. Apart from that it is still a good balm and manages to give decent results on both my beard and skin without any greasiness at all. If only the scent were more attractive I'd certainly have scored it more highly.

Startech.com 6 feet Mini USB Cable - A to Right Angle Mini B
Startech.com 6 feet Mini USB Cable - A to Right Angle Mini B
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Another decent cable, 21 Jun. 2015
I had already bought the Left angled version of this cable for another job that I had done so I knew that this cable from Startech would be a good one. The cables are well made and have been perfect each time, and I'd happily buy another one next time I need one. Mine was supplied by Kikatek through the Amazon Marketplace.

Men Rock Sicilian Lime and Caffeine Awakening Beard Balm
Men Rock Sicilian Lime and Caffeine Awakening Beard Balm

5.0 out of 5 stars So pleased that I've ordered another one, 19 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
MenRock start well with the presentation of this product since it arrives in a little linen drawstring sack (mine also had a small pack of Loveheart sweets too!) and the actual container also looks very smart so I'm happy to have it on my bathroom shelf. The balm itself is quite light and I found it surprising that it isn't greasy at all; it is easy to apply and I find that it absorbs pretty quickly. It's only after a few days of using it that I'm noticing the new softness to my beard, but then it wasn't especially rough to start with. The Sicilian lime and caffeine scent is quite strong when it's first put on but I'm pleased to say that although it lasts throughout the day it is not overpowering or sickly. My wife certainly approves of it and I have now ordered the `oak moss' scent in this range to see what that one is like.

Update: The oak moss' scent isn't as nice as this one, and it didn't come presented in a linen bag either; I definitely prefer this Sicilian Lime scent.

Philips BT5262/13 Beard Trimmer Series 5000
Philips BT5262/13 Beard Trimmer Series 5000

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the bunch, 18 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had the chance to try a number of different beard trimmers over the past year and until now my favourite had been the Wahl Lithium Pro Stubble Trimmer but this new model from Philips has become my trimmer of choice. For a start it feels good to use - it's not heavy in the hand but it still solid enough. Recharging is simple and it has an indicator to show when it is fully-charged, and it also lasts well in-between charges. There is a great choice of settings and most beard lengths are catered for on the shorter end of the scale, but I was surprised to see that the maximum length it can handle is 10mm which is less than my Wahl trimmer and some other models. I love the fact that it can be washed under a tap and also that the cutting head rotates to a smaller size which is good for areas around the mouth etc. The trimming action is also comfortable and I haven't experienced any pulling of hairs or skin cuts. Results have been good and I'm very pleased with this trimmer. There are a few points I don't like - the plastic comb attachment is stubborn to take on and off and in the photographs it also looks like there is a digital display for the chosen length setting, but it's actually only some clever markings on a rotating controller. The cardboard packaging was also surprisingly difficult to get into and was mostly destroyed in the process of opening it. Despite those niggles I have to say that this is a great beard trimmer and I can certainly recommend it.

Philips GC4521/87 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 200g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt
Philips GC4521/87 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 200g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Let down by the short power cord, but otherwise very good, 14 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having tried various brands of iron over the years including Bosch and Morphy Richards we have noticed that our most reliable ones were made by Philips. Some of the others only lasted a couple of years before giving up the ghost, but since we started buying Philips (based on recommendations some time ago in Which magazine) they have lasted much longer. This one features in a range which has lots of slightly different models and seems to be a very good all-round choice thanks to its powerful steam action, 2600w heater and lots of other features. We particularly like the fact that is light to use and doesn't leave us with tired arms after using it, and it is good to use in general. Operating it is simple and it glides easily over clothes and other fabrics, whilst at the same time it isn't very noisy. The water reservoir isn't a bad size and seems to compare pretty well with other irons we have tried, although the amount of time we get between refills obviously depends on what is being ironed.

When it was first switched on there was the worrying presence of smoke (definitely not steam) from between the hotplate and the main body of the iron but that was only for a minute and it has been fine and smoke-free ever since. Some irons do come with a warning that this happens during first use, but it was slightly disturbing this this one did not have such a warning. Other than that issue, we have found only one downside with this iron and that is the short power cord; at only 190cm (just over 6 ft) in length it is certainly shorter than we've had on older irons but unfortunately it now seems to have become a fairly standard length. It amazes me that it although it would only cost the manufacturers of these tools a few pennies more to have a longer cable, they don't fit them. Despite these points we are pleased with this iron and still think that it makes a very good choice.

The Reader on the 6.27
The Reader on the 6.27
by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 12 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Reader on the 6.27 (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought that this book was wonderful. It was one of those where I deliberately set aside extra time for reading it, when I knew that I would not be disturbed. I found it to be typically French and understated but with great warmth and humour in parts. The characters seemed very real and familiar but at the same time were fantastically unlike people I've ever met, and the author has shown great skill is weaving the story so well. Although it is a relatively short book I was soon immersed in a way that some other, longer books never managed at all. Very highly recommended.

Hallmark Large Square Dad Contemporary Shirt and Jumper Birthday Card
Hallmark Large Square Dad Contemporary Shirt and Jumper Birthday Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Differently smart, 7 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This isn't the usual type of `Dad' birthday card with a sport, DIY or alcohol theme on the front and that makes a nice change. It's a smartly designed square card of around 22.5cm length/width with an attractive 3D design in the form of a checked shirt worn beneath a sweater. The shirt collar is folded over for the 3D effect and there's a real button in place too. I like the way that the checked design is on the inside of the card, and the inner page bearing the verse has a complimentary red background. Even the envelope has a matching design! The material used is of high quality and I'll have no qualms giving this to my Dad on his birthday. Due to the size of the card it would need to be sent through the UK post as a large letter according to Royal Mail's current rules (I've just checked on their website).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20