Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DRiBOX FL-1859-330 IP55 Large Weatherproof Box- Black
DRiBOX FL-1859-330 IP55 Large Weatherproof Box- Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A great choice, 25 Jan. 2015
A couple of months ago I was in need of a weatherproof box that I could use to put cables, transformers and connectors in. It needed to be able to withstand the worst of our winter weather in an exposed area of the garden, and do so without any problems. I already have a box by Masterplug which has a similar purpose but spotted this one when I was looking to make my purchase. Not only is the Dribox available in different sizes but it also comes in different colours which is useful, and there are plenty of positive reviews on them so I took the plunge and ordered one.

There's not much to see with them and initially I did wonder why such a simple box could cost so much but having checked it yesterday I must say that the box has worked perfectly. Despite plenty of rain, frost, sunshine and snow there was no sign of damage or leakage so it has done the job well. It probably helps that the lipped design of the lid helps to keep a lot of the moisture from the seals which is an improvement on my other box since that one relies completely on the seal and is not lipped. If I need any more of them then I think I'll be buying a Dribox.

Escape Fitness Ridge Foam Roller - Black, 38 x 14 cm
Escape Fitness Ridge Foam Roller - Black, 38 x 14 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lack of specific information about the use of this product confused me initially as I'd thought it was a massage product that was designed to be use by one person on another, but it's actually primarily designed to be used alone. The idea is that to relieve muscle stress the user places the ridge-roller under their leg, back or wherever they are aching and then roll over it in order to relieve the aching. The foam ridges along the roller rub into your body as you roll over them and are supposed to simulate the effect of massaging hands. I must admit to some scepticism before I tried it but it actually works! It can be awkward to put it in the right places, but if you can get it into position then the effect is quite worthwhile. The design is such that it is lightweight and can be taken to the gym with you but to be honest I've just used it at home so far with surprisingly good results.

Creative Sound Blaster Roar Speaker: Portable NFC Bluetooth Wireless Speaker with aptX/AAC. 5 Drivers, Built-in Subwoofer

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very impressed, 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm very impressed with the sound performance of this speaker and find that it is clear and well-balanced, with plenty of oomph using the `Roar' button when I want it extra loud. I really like the fact that there is no detectable distortion even when played at full volume. Creative seem to have considered most options for this speaker but incorporated them all. It's possible to connect using NFC, Bluetooth, micro SD card, USB, or even good old-fashioned cable. It's also a bit of an all-rounder because it can act as a battery pack for recharging other devices via USB, a sound recorder using a memory card and it's also portable meaning that you can use it away from a power supply for up to eight hours on a single charge.

For me the priority is how good it sounds and all of those other features are nice extras but they certainly make a great all-round package. It scores highly in the looks department too, and is the coolest looking speaker that I have. I'm kind of tempted to buy a second one since it's possible to hook them up as a pair for even better performance, although I'd be inclined to borrow one and try it out first. Setting it up was also very simple and it has connected easily to all of my devices.

Guilty Gadgets - 10M Metre Male to Male RF TV Aerial Lead Cable Coaxial Extension Female Digital with Coupler
Offered by Guilty Gadgets

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple co-ax cable, 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Gone are the days when a simple co-ax cable like this was all that you needed to hook up your television but there's still a place for them in most homes. It can be used to extend the length of an existing cable using the little coupler which is supplied, otherwise this ten metre length will simply run as the co-axial connection between devices, or from your wall outlet to the TV etc. The connectors at each end are moulded into place so the cable cannot be shorted without cutting them off but this is generally a simple product that seems to work well enough. It isn't a top of the range product but for most purposes it will work perfectly fine without a huge cost.

Igenix Hamilton Glass Wall Mounted Flame Effect Fire, 100 Watt, Black
Igenix Hamilton Glass Wall Mounted Flame Effect Fire, 100 Watt, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Full marks, 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"I've got one of those" said my delivery driver when he delivered this fire to me. "Would you like a tip for fitting it?" he asked. He then recommended that I take extra care with levelling the fire when it was mounted, and while that seems such an obvious thing I could see what he meant. I hate to see something which looks very nice but then has a flaw and a wall-mounted fire like this could easily be one of those things if it didn't sit level on the wall.

As it happens fitting it proved fairly straightforward. It comes with the necessary screws and wall fittings so all that is needed are the tools to do the job. The fire is fitted with a standard 13A plug so it isn't necessary to have knowledge of electrics but some DIY skills would be an advantage. I also had a helping hand to manoeuvre the fire when fitting which I was glad of. The remote control for the fire and the pebbles for the display seemed to be missing from by box when I opened it, but I found them taped inside the polystyrene packaging when I looked more closely.

In use the fire looks and works well, and far better than I had expected at this price. In particular, the flame effect is very good and quite realistic. It's possible to just use the flame effect by itself, but the heater can be switched on at two different levels for warmth. Overall, I'm very pleased with it and have no reason not to give it full marks.

30 X 21 NEW JEWELLERS LOUPE MAGNIFIER EYE GLASS GIFT
30 X 21 NEW JEWELLERS LOUPE MAGNIFIER EYE GLASS GIFT
Offered by FirstTech

5.0 out of 5 stars I've ordered three more, 24 Jan. 2015
This little loupe is perfect for keeping in a pocket or drawer for those occasions when a little magnification is needed. That seems to be more and more often these days but the fact that this magnifier works so well is a big help, and it’s also made from decent materials with a proper glass lens and metal body. It did arrive in a plastic case but that was damaged in the post so I threw it away and to be fair it doesn’t really need one anyway. I’m so impressed with it I’ve just ordered three more from the same seller (Factory-advisor) which I’m giving to friends.

10 PCS Stainless Steel Wire Keyring Keychain Key Holder Screw CableTwist Barrel
10 PCS Stainless Steel Wire Keyring Keychain Key Holder Screw CableTwist Barrel
Offered by Viskey(From HK, 15-35 days delivery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and strong, 24 Jan. 2015
I bought a pack of these through Marketplace seller LTZmart recently and can confirm I’m very impressed with them. They are around 15cm long which is slightly longer than I’d anticipated based on other reviews here, but are still a good size for holding keys and securing other equipment. I’ve also found them useful for attaching tags to large objects. At this bargain price I had expected some of them to be faulty but luckily every one of my ten is good and strong, so I’ll be ordering more as necessary and recommending them to friends. The fact that they can be linked together to make bigger rings also makes them useful for other things.

Tacwise 140/12mm Stainless Steel Staples (Box of 2000)
Tacwise 140/12mm Stainless Steel Staples (Box of 2000)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 22 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried quite a few tools from the Tacwise range and also the staples and nails which are used with them. I generally have a preference for the stainless steel variants such as this one which I'm happier to use because of their lack of corrosion. Even in places which don't normally get exposed to the elements it can be surprising how much a standard steel staple will corrode over time and for the small extra difference in cost these staples can be a worthwhile choice. I have used them for a number of DIY jobs and have found them to perform well - they haven't given me any issues with jamming in the gun and they have also worked surprisingly well with harder materials. It's difficult to say whether that has been due to using the staples, the tools, or a combination of both but when it comes to stapling I'm a Tacwise convert.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI to Micro HDMI Cable (6.5 Feet/2 Meters) - Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 22 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have several different Amazon Basics products including cables, adaptors and other accessories. All of them have proven to be good quality items and I have no qualms with choosing this brand when I'm looking for good value with my purchases. This cable is looks as good as previous items in many ways and also performs well, and although I have found the micro HDMI connector is quite a tight fit I have no issues with it apart from that. Most use has been to connect my camera to my TV which has enabled me to view my photographs and videos in far higher quality than I could before and with the increasing use of HDMI connections on new equipment I anticipate much more use of it in the future.

Disclaimer
Disclaimer
by Renée Knight

4.0 out of 5 stars Disclaimer could be one of the must-read books of this year, 18 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Disclaimer (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When the reader of a new book realises it's actually about them a hidden secret is threatened and their perfect life could fall apart. With so many stories already told it is hard to think of one that is original, but the premise for this book certainly sounded intriguing enough to make me want to read it. It proved to be a very good read and although not perfect I can certainly recommend it. This could be one of those must-read books of this year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20