Profile for Whatchamacallit > Reviews

Veet Infini'Silk Pro IPL Hair Removal System with Precision Facial Attachment
Price: 224.99

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions have been extremely positive, 15 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd normally associate the Veet brand with wax strips, creams and hair-removal potions rather than high-tech equipment such as this but their efforts in the premium end of the hair-removal market seem to have been successful judging by this product. It is a nicely packaged tool with a premium feel to it and comes complete with a thorough instruction manual, and it's actually fairly simple to use despite looking quite complicated at first glance. The 'head' of the unit is switchable depending on the area of skin that you want to treat with two sizes included in the pack; switching them over is very simple and easily done.

This is certainly a long term project as far as permanent results are concerned. Apparently a full hair growth cycle is around 18-24 months and a course of self-treatment with this hair-removal system is going to take 5 months at a minimum. However, since it should result in permanent hair removal the end result will justify the time involved and could even pay for itself if it saves the time and financial costs of beauty treatments.

I've been acting as beauty-therapist to my wife who has been a willing volunteer in the testing of this product. It's not impossible to use single-handed but I think it's easier to have someone help out with the awkward to reach areas if they're available. There are a number of indicator lights on the tool itself which looks like a very fancy hairdryer and they indicate various things but most importantly they tell you when the tool is ready to be used and the power level that you have it set at. So far we've kept the power level at positions 2 - 3 and haven't had any adverse effects; there hasn't been any redness or soreness. The only thing I'd say to be careful of is the light - when you press the trigger a bright light pulses against the skin. We have found it better to look away at that point as it looks like a very bright camera flash. It's too early to say how successful the treatment has been yet but I will update this review as we progress. However, I can say that first impressions have been extremely positive from both of us and we expect decent results.

CREE Q5 3W Led 350 Lumens mini Flashlight Zoomable Torch AA
CREE Q5 3W Led 350 Lumens mini Flashlight Zoomable Torch AA
Offered by Magic&Gorgeous
Price: 2.04

5.0 out of 5 stars I have no hesitation in recommending this torch, 10 Sep 2014
I bought my first of these torches from the seller cheap4uk earlier this year and was so impressed that I ordered three more. Delivery was only ten days on the first torch but took about three weeks on the second order although they did arrive safely in the end and I am happy with the seller. The torches themselves look as they appear in the photos but do not have the branding on them - all of mine just have a blank space instead of the writing.

As actual torches they are amazing products at this price level and I find it incredible that they can be produced and shipped around the world at such a low cost. I already owned a couple of expensive LED torches LED Lenser T7 Tactical Torch (Black) - Test It Pack which I was happy with but couldn't resist trying this one when I saw what was on offer and have no regrets. Although they don't perform quite as well as the more expensive brand they don't fall far short and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4-inch Tablet (Black) - (Snapdragon 800 2.3GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.4)
Offered by ShopCuscus
Price: 331.21

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent choice for me, 10 Sep 2014
I bought my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 recently after seeing it advertised on a special offer. It has plenty of memory and a decent processor, plus a very good screen so I knew that I would get good performance from it. One bugbear I've noticed with some of the older and cheaper tablets is that they sometimes struggle to keep up when new versions of Android are released and when they have lots of apps installed. This one flies through tasks that have slowed others down and I expect it to be able to cope admirably as more software gets installed and upgraded etc.

Setting up was as straightforward as it is with my other Android devices and although there were some updates available for it they were all installed easily and automatically by the tablet for most of them. Some other owners have complained of a noise from the tablet when there shouldn't be a sound from the speakers but I have to say that mine is silent and that I haven't found any faults like that. In fact I haven't found anything that I don't like about it yet, and I do tend to be quite critical of such things.

Battery life has been good so far and connectivity has been faultless with stable access via Wi-Fi and through Bluetooth connections to my phone and other tablets. I've also had some usage of the Samsung app which connects to my TV and displays the tablet's screen contents there. It worked quite well and is a great way to show photos to friends. The in-built camera is surprisingly good and even has an in-built flash which is an improvement on my old tablet; the results have been decent pictures but it does fare better in good lighting and obviously falls short compared with using a `proper' camera. According to the review by Which magazine "advanced users will struggle to find a better small-screen tablet than this" and they have made it one of their Best Buys. Overall I can say that I have been very impressed with the tablet and judging by the envious looks from my wife I'd say that she's taken a shine to it too.

Russell Hobbs 18976 Rosso Hand Blender, Red
Russell Hobbs 18976 Rosso Hand Blender, Red
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good results so far, 7 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is well-made piece of kitchen equipment and although it is comfortable to hold and use it still feels robust. There are two speeds that the blender works at, each selectable by pressing the appropriate button on the side of the tool. The buttons are large enough to be easily pressed and the whole of the handle is fairly easy to clean (once it is disconnected from the mains of course). The tool itself detaches from the handle and is also easy to clean but has the added benefit that it is dishwasher friendly. The supplied beaker can also go in the dishwasher although I haven’t always used it, sometimes preferring another dish or bowl when preparing larger quantities. The blender is more powerful than I had anticipated and has coped well with everything I’ve used it for so far and given good results.

Kingston Technology MobileLite G4 USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader
Kingston Technology MobileLite G4 USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader
Offered by City of memories
Price: 2.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed results, 2 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Initially I wasn’t very impressed with the Kingston Mobilite G4 as it arrived in that awful plastic sealed packaging that requires scissors to open it. In this case I did manage to open it without also cutting a finger but I do wish that manufacturers would not use it. Things improved after that as the device itself is good – it is a lightweight but sturdy metal casing with two separate slots to insert your memory cards (one is for micro SD cards and the other for full sized SD).

Despite being a USB 3.0 card reader transfer speeds will still depend on how fast your memory card is in the first place, and from my experience with the adaptor it may also depend on whether or not you’re using a micro SD card. In simple tests I found that using a full sized card I could easily achieve significantly faster data transfer with this device compared with putting it straight into the built-in adaptor of my laptops. Unfortunately, when using micro SD cards I have managed far better transfer speeds using my old Sony CCR-80 USB 2.0 adaptor so I have to say that the results are mixed and that USB 3.0 is no guarantee of better performance.

The moral of the story seems to be that if you need an adaptor for SD cards then this one is not a bad choice. However, if you are thinking of buying it simply because you expect high speed USB 3.0 transfers then you may be in for a disappointment.

U.S. History For Dummies
U.S. History For Dummies
by Steve Wiegand
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredibly easy read, 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like most Britons I suspect the majority of my knowledge of American history has been drawn from popular culture in the form of books, films and television but I was drawn to this Dummies guide with the hope that I could find out more and clarify the cloudy facts that I already held. The book has proved to be an incredibly easy read, partly because it is so interesting but also because it is presented in a very acceptable format. Although it could be read like a ‘normal’ book it is possible to dip-in to this one or even just look at particular sections. The only reservation I have is that it is aimed at an American audience so some of the references make less sense to me but I have enjoyed reading it all the same. Perhaps more importantly I have succeeded in improving my grasp on a fascinating history.

TCP LED E14 Small Edison Screw 5 Watt LED Candle, White
TCP LED E14 Small Edison Screw 5 Watt LED Candle, White
Price: 9.31

4.0 out of 5 stars I am considering buying more of these bulbs, 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used this LED candle bulb to replace one of three old-style incandescent bulbs in a ceiling light. The old ones are marked as 40w and although the Amazon guide suggests that this is a replacement for 30w it is actually much brighter than the others so I think it is more likely to be a direct replacement for a 50w bulb. The light that it emits is a pleasant shade of white but it is less ‘yellow’ than older bulbs. That makes the room look less ‘cosy’ but also makes it far better to actually see what you are doing in there. On balance I prefer this new LED bulb, especially given the huge power savings it can deliver. Its physical size is very comparable to the traditional bulbs and it is no wider than them but is slightly longer. It also looks well-made and sturdy and I am certainly considering buying more of these bulbs in the future.

Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-02
Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-02
Price: 16.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and smart, 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At 17.5cm long the Rapesco Zero-02 is a medium sized desk stapler with a very smart silver appearance. It looks very good sitting on my desk and is certainly smarter than a simple plastic bodied stapler, as well as performing very well. It is simple to use and reload and it is capable to fastening up to 20 sheets at once with very little effort. The fact that it can do it with standard staples is good but it can even be used with hard-wire staples which are thicker and stronger.

I like the attention to detail in the design of it and the fact that is has a rubberised base so that it doesn't slide around in use, and there is a small `window' underneath for identification purposes. Rapesco even offer a fifteen year guarantee on it but in my opinion there's very little chance that you would ever need to claim on it as this thing is solid and I suspect it will last far longer even in an office environment.

TP-Link TL-PB10400 10400 mAh Portable Power Bank External Battery Charger (2 USB ports for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Android Smartphones and Tablets)
Price: 23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A good power pack, 29 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know TP-Link as manufacturers of various types of routers and other wireless connectivity equipment but it seems they have now moved into the expanding world of portable battery chargers. This one is well-made and designed, and comes complete with a pouch and USB cable. It's really simple to use and basically it is just a large capacity rechargeable battery that you can use in place of a mains charger, making it ideal to use when you are away from home (great for camping trips/festivals etc) or even on those days when you leave home without having recharged your mobile phone. Using the power pack means that you can charge your device whilst you travel instead so you never need to get caught without power again.

At 10400 mAh this isn't the biggest power pack on the market but it is certainly powerful enough for most people's demands as they would be able to recharge their phone from completely flat to full a few times before the pack itself needed to be recharged, and it's also capable of charging other devices - anything that charges with a USB lead. It's worth noting that this pack can only charge one item at the higher 2 amp rate (for faster charges) although it is capable of simultaneously charging other devices through the other connector which is rated at 1 amp.

I find it to be a good power pack and haven't found any negative points with it so far. I also like the fact that it comes with a three year warranty - at least they have faith in their product!

AmazonBasics 4.0 Amp Dual USB Car Charger for Apple and Android Devices (High Output)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great expectations, 27 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This USB car-charger from Amazon Basics is a new version of one that I have owned for a couple of years AmazonBasics 2-Port USB Car Charger with 2.1 Amp Output in Black. It looks quite similar in appearance and shares the same sort of design but the important bits on the inside have been upgraded to be able to handle the increased load that we have these days. Many phones and most tablets draw around 2 amps at maximum charging rate which means that it takes a powerful adaptor such as this one to be able to cope with powering two such devices at the same time.

It works well enough in use and fits snugly in my car's cigarette light adaptor. I'd have preferred the whole thing to have been in black plastic rather than have the silver cap but it still looks pretty good, and from experience I can say that the products from this brand do tend to be well-made. I have a number of them in regular use and none of them has ever failed so I have great expectations that this one will give years of good service too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20