Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

Electricity [DVD] [2015]
Electricity [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Agyness Deyn

4.0 out of 5 stars A better film than I had expected, 11 April 2015
This review is from: Electricity [DVD] [2015] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Because most of the characters are engaging and the cast all give good performances (Agyness Deyn in particular) Electricity turned out to be a far better film that I had anticipated. It would have been easy for a film like this to have either gone too far, or not gone far enough in portraying the difficulties encountered by the young woman suffering from epilepsy whilst she tries to get on with her life. Instead I found it to be thought-provoking and interesting but also very entertaining and I have no qualms in recommending it. Don't expect a bundle of laughs, but don't assume that it's a depressing film because it certainly isn't.

Panasonic Specialist Lithium Coin Batteries CR2016 x 12
Panasonic Specialist Lithium Coin Batteries CR2016 x 12
Offered by Premier Life Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Savers, 11 April 2015
These coin-sized batteries are used in a surprising number of things and I recently got caught out when one went flat in the key for my car - a suddenly dying battery meant quite a bit of inconvenience for me. Because I needed it in a hurry replacing that one at a local store cost me more than double the expense of this multi-pack meaning that I have since been able to replace the batteries in the other three keyfobs that I have for my vehicles at a fraction of the cost I'd have faced otherwise. It doesn't appear to mean lower quality either as all of them have been working perfectly, and I still have more spare for the next time one fails.

Draper 43853 4-Piece Funnel Set
Draper 43853 4-Piece Funnel Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy funnel set, 11 April 2015
I bought this funnel set to keep handy in my garage at home - many times previously I have needed one to be handy but not been able to lay my hands on a suitable one. With this set there are four to choose from meaning that so far I have always found one which I could use. They are pretty well-made for a simple set of plastic funnels and I expect them to last me for some time.

Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate (PC)
Pinnacle Studio 18 Ultimate (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very demanding, 11 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As with all software of this type it will pay to have a computer which has plenty of punch when it comes to performance, preferably a lot more than the manufacturer states as a requirement. My own is well-specified in excess of the minimum (it has an i7 processor and lots of RAM) but it still feels like it needs a lot more power when I'm using this software - Pinnacle is very demanding.

You certainly need to spend some time with it to get the best from this package and it isn't something which you could use as a total newcomer and expect to get good results from in just a short time. Having said that, this latest version of popular software does have lots of tricks up its sleeve and is certainly far more capable than most users will need it to be. There is an online training package available but as it's only accessible for six weeks then you need to be sure that when you start using it you have the time to make the most of it.

With software suites such as this one there's an abundance of features which sound great. In practice there's a much smaller number of them that I find I actually use and unless there is a real need for such demanding software as Pinnacle Studio Ultimate then there are probably better choices available which are less demanding on both the computer and the user. However, if you are capable of using it and have the hardware to use it properly then this has to be one of the best packages you can buy.

Losing It
Losing It
by Helen Lederer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a great book, but not a bad one either, 7 April 2015
This review is from: Losing It (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I already knew of Helen Lederer from many television appearances so when I went away recently I took this book with me and looked forward to reading it there. From the synopsis and other reviews that I'd seen I was expecting quite a funny, well-observed book but unfortunately I have to say that it did not quite live up to my expectations. It isn't a bad book, and it was quite good at passing some time but it certainly wasn't the rip-roaring novel that I'd hoped to find. I didn't particularly like many of the characters, and the plot was so-so but at least there was some decent observational comment which made it worthwhile. Not a great book, but not a bad one either.

Philips HP6583/03 SatinPerfect Wet and Dry Epilator with Skin Tautening Attachment Shaver Head, Sensitive Cap and Tweezers

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good epilator set., 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a smashing little set which contains everything you need and is at the top of Philips' range of epilators. It comes complete with different attachment heads which mean that the single tool can be used as a trimmer, shaver and epilator rather than buying separate gadgets, so although it is a comparatively expensive purchase the outlay can be balanced by the fact that you only need to buy one product. There are even illuminated tweezers and a storage pouch.

I like the fact that it can be used in the shower or bath as that can be good in terms of decent results and also being able to keep the epilator clean during use. It is comfortable to hold and can still be gripped easily when it is wet. The results have been pretty good and it doesn't take long to use on bigger areas thanks to the wide epilator head. As other people have also told me the discomfort on first trying the epilator is not so noticeable on subsequent uses, and trying it in different ways also helps - in the shower for example. I'd have liked some better instructions in the pack too, but have coped okay. Philips like those picture instruction formats in order to make them useable for many different languages at once, but I'm not a particular fan of them.

Battery life has been at least as good as other equipment I've tried and charging takes less than an hour. One little feature which did catch my attention was a travel lock on the power button. In the past I've been embarrassed to hear my suitcase buzzing when a shaver was accidentally pressed on, but this feature means that shouldn't happen again and also ensures I arrive with some charge left in it too. Overall I have to say that this is a very good epilator set.

Mr Beams MB702 Wireless Motion-Sensing Mini Stick-Anywhere LED Night Lights, White

4.0 out of 5 stars I am quite pleased with them, 22 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although I was aware of the Mr Beams brand through friends’ recommendation this pack was my first experience of one of their products. It is a pack of two LED lights which are small enough to mount discreetly in indoor areas where some extra light is required. They are PIR sensor enabled which means that they only operate when someone is in front of them, and from experience their operating range is between 3 – 4 metres (approx. 9 – 12ft). They also have built-in daylight sensors so that they don’t come on during daylight although I have found that they tend to come on a little earlier than is necessary, and unfortunately they are not adjustable for that.

The lights themselves are bright enough to be able to make things out in a bigger room but are better suited to smaller areas. I have found them to be very handy in my shed and also in my attic where I don’t have mains-powered lighting. They can be mounted using the double-sided sticky pads which are supplied or with a couple of small screws through the case. I like the fact that the units are quite compact and only measure around the same size as a TV remote-control unit (113 x 47 x 24 mm) but it’s worth noting that they aren’t supplied with any batteries. I haven’t had to change the batteries in my lamps yet so can’t comment on battery usage. There are a couple of features that I would like to see improved but overall I am quite pleased with them.

Stuff I Wish I'd Known When I Started Working
Stuff I Wish I'd Known When I Started Working
by Fergus O'Connell

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 19 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been in work for many years and have learned things through that time which I'd have loved to have known when I first entered the workforce. On first seeing this book you might deduce from the title that it would only be useful to those who are new to the world of work, and while it is true that group could make good use of it I have to say that I found it just as useful and interesting although perhaps for different reasons. It is full of little gems that you find yourself agreeing with and so many wise words that you'll wonder why it hasn't been written like this before. It's quite a compact book and is laid out in short sections which are easy to dip into which not only ensures you won't get bored reading it but also makes it extremely easy to make occasional reference to it. Highly recommended.

Angelo Caro 7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp-Green(1 mode)
Offered by cheap4uk

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little torch, 11 Mar. 2015
I've bought a number of these torches (all from Cheap4UK) and have been impressed with them. This particular one was the single-mode model which is either on or off but others have had a flashing mode and a low/high level light option. It is very well made for a budget torch with a good spread of bright light and a zoom focusing head in order to make the beam bigger or smaller as required. Battery life is very good thanks to the LED technology but although this is listed as a 7w Cree flashlight in practice I haven't found it any brighter than the 5w Cree models that I also own. Basically, don't buy it just because you think you'll gain with a 7w torch but do buy it if you want a really good LED torch without paying a fortune for it. I also own some of the very expensive torches and pound for pound this type beat them hands down even if they aren't quite as good in performance.

Braun SE830 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Premium Edition
Braun SE830 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Premium Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars A good set, 11 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As you'd expect from Braun this is a well made tool and it is obvious that attention has been paid to detail in the design. This particular model comes complete with a facial cleansing brush attachment, a beauty pouch and a lighted mirror to form a nice little package and although it might seem quite expensive it does look like it will last for a long time. The epilator itself is surprisingly effective and manages to remove even very short or fine hairs. It isn't as painless as shaving but the effect will last a lot longer and from experience it can even lead to less hair growth in that area in the future. The secret seems to be to hold the skin taut whilst removing the hairs and then apply something to soothe the skin afterwards. A moisturising cream will work although I find that an antiseptic cream with a mild anaesthetic effect is even better - something like Germolene. I like the fact that the epilator head is small enough to be quite accurate although it would make covering large areas quite time consuming.

The facial cleansing brush is something that I'm less sure about but for those who enjoy a beauty regime then theory suggests that using it might be time well spent. I've tried it on a few different skin areas but haven't found the results to be especially startling enough to make it a regular treatment. The lighted mirror is quite handy though and the pouch is always useful to keep the set together so I'm glad that was included in the pack.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20