Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
UniBond Anti Mould Sealant Bathroom & Kitchen White Cartridge
UniBond Anti Mould Sealant Bathroom & Kitchen White Cartridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick with this one, 27 July 2015
I had used this sealant in the past with excellent results but been tempted away to a cheaper brand for a couple of projects. I've regretted it since as their performance wasn't as good and in one case also led to mouldy sealant in a shower cubicle. In fact, that was one of the reasons that I placed this order - I'm doing it right the second time and buying the good stuff again.

Philips GC9630/20 Perfect Care Elite Steam Generator Iron with Optimal Temperature and 420 g Steam Boost - Navy

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, 26 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My biggest surprise with this new steam generator iron was how small and light the actual iron was. The scratch-resistant sole plate is still a good size and despite being light it manages to easily achieve decent results which must be testament to the power of its steaming action, but I do know that after doing a large load of ironing I would normally expect my arm to feel more tired than it does when using this.

If there's one downside to an iron like this it's the size of the whole assembly, but I'm lucky enough to have somewhere I can leave it out in a room near to the ironing board so there's no need to move it regularly. The reservoir is easily detachable which makes filling it a doddle and for me the whole thing is simple to use. There aren't even different temperature settings to worry about - Philips' boffins have figured out their optimal settings and all I have to do is turn up, switch it on and do the boring bit. I like the safety features that it has and also appreciate the fact that I won't be burning any more clothes so this iron is probably about as good as could be found.

Rolson 66915 Money Minder with Key Chain
Rolson 66915 Money Minder with Key Chain

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 26 July 2015
I first spotted this some time ago but dismissed it as something which probably wouldn't be very good. I'll admit that I was wrong since it's actually quite a good little gadget and is perfect for storing rolled up paper money as an emergency fund. I keep mine specifically for travelling but it would be just as useful for those who go jogging etc, or even for everyday storage with the car keys. I also know of someone who gave it a forgetful relative - instead of money inside is kept a note with their name and contact details in case they become lost.

Osomount 360 Flex Universal In-Car Dashboard Windscreen Mount Holder for Smartphones
Offered by Zero 50 Retail Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars I can recommend it wholeheartedly, 26 July 2015
It was only when I saw one of these mounts in action that I realised just how strong they hold; I was pretty amazed. It's nothing like the older style suction mounts since the stickiness of the surface does a decent job by itself, and the added suction makes movement almost impossible. I like this Flex 360 mount in particular because it articulates just the right amount to enable me to use it in several different vehicles without a problem, and I'm very impressed that it can still hold my phone (I've been using it with a Samsung Galaxy Note 3) without excessive vibration. If there's one thing that I would improve upon then it is the fact that installing my phone into the mount is a two-handed job; I have found that I need one hand to push the phone against one of the arms whilst the other hand pulls back the other arm to grip the phone. Despite that I have to say that I have been really impressed and can recommend it wholeheartedly.

Craghoppers Men's Kiwi Interactive Fleece Jacket
Craghoppers Men's Kiwi Interactive Fleece Jacket
Price: £14.00 - £53.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy customer, 26 July 2015
I bought this jacket to use as a standalone light fleece, but also to use as the inner layer in the Craghoppers Kiwi outer shell jacket that I had bought. I'm pleased with both the look and fit of the jacket - I ordered a 'large' and have found that it fits just as it should. It also zips very well into the outer jacket so I'm pleased on both counts. The only (slight) negative I have is with the colour - I ordered it in black pepper but found that it wasn't as deep in colour as I had hoped since it's actually a lighter shade of black.However, it does still look good and I do like the jacket.

Draper Tools 24237 Silicone Sealant Removal Tool
Draper Tools 24237 Silicone Sealant Removal Tool

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 26 July 2015
In the past when removing old sealant I bought some of the plastic tools which are shaped similarly to this one. Although they did work I found that they soon blunted and the task became quite difficult, requiring more time and effort. Luckily, I spotted this one from Draper just in time for my latest bout with some sealant. It's very good - it seems to cut through the stuff far more rapidly and leaves a lot less residue than I had expected. Also, because the tool can be used in both forward and backward directions it's possible to get at awkward areas without contorting the body uncomfortably.

Philips Lumea Prestige SC2005/00 IPL Hair Regrowth Prevention System for body
Philips Lumea Prestige SC2005/00 IPL Hair Regrowth Prevention System for body

5.0 out of 5 stars Really impressed, 23 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having seen this type of technology work successfully for hair removal elsewhere I was interested to see how this one would perform. Philips Lumea appears to be the leading product on the market and this particular model is almost at the top of their range, missing only the facial attachment of its more expensive sibling. One advantage of these models over cheaper rivals is their cordless operation which will be a great bonus for some people, and can certainly make using it more convenient. The treatment is an ongoing process which needs to be repeated regularly so the fact that it is cordless will make it easier for using away from home as well as being more practical (there's no need to be near to a power socket).

It has been designed to be very simple to use and it even automatically assesses skin tone before use. Philips have made it quite clear in their instructions that it cannot be used by some people (those with naturally red, grey and light blonde hair or for very dark skin types) which appears to be due to the way that the product works but it does work very well for those lucky enough to be suited. There are a number of safety features which have impressed me with their attention to detail such as the fact that it will not trigger unless it is properly against the skin.

I like the fact that there are five different power levels which can be chosen as personally I like to err on the side of caution until confidence and familiarity has been gained, but it's surprising how little time that takes. In what seemed like no time at all I was zapping away like a professional. I find it fairly comfortable to hold even over longer periods as it is quite well shaped, but it's worth bearing in mind that it is quite a solid-feeling tool and is no lightweight. Philips have supplied it complete with a storage pouch and do seem to have considered everything in this package. I'm really impressed by this product.

Wahl Hot and Cold Gel Pack Massager
Wahl Hot and Cold Gel Pack Massager

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good simply as a hot or cold pad, 21 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this product specifically for use on my lower back where I sometimes get pain from an old injury. Past experience had shown that heat in particular had a soothing effect so this pack from Wahl looked like it could be perfect for me. It looks quite good and is not overly fussy in design, nor especially clinical in appearance which I like. The construction is a fairly simple affair but it has been put together well for the most part, although not without some flaws. For example, the strap that is supposed to secure the pack in place uses a Velcro fastening and although its length is fine for strapping to limbs it isn't really long enough for wearing around the waist or chest. I'm not especially overweight (I have a 36" waist) and find that although the strap reaches far enough around my body to grip the Velcro initially it does not stay there for long if I move around. I also think that the massage effect is more of a gimmick that a useful function since it consists only of a small vibrating disc that is placed in a pocket of the gel pack cover; its effect was negligible on me.

Heating and cooling the pack before use is fairly straightforward when using some common sense. The instructions correctly warn against putting the vibrating disc in a microwave or freezer but since I don't see the benefit of it I have now decided to stop using the disc in my pack. The instructions also suggest temporarily removing the gel pack from its cover before heating it in a microwave or cooling it for one hour in a freezer, but I found it awkward getting the gel pack back into the cover afterwards so have been heating and cooling it whilst it is still in its cover. Since the cover has no metal parts it is okay to use in a microwave, but for reasons of comfort and hygiene I have been placing it in a plastic bag before heating or cooling it. I still think that this Wahl pack is pretty good simply as a hot/cold pad even without the flaws, but they do spoil what might have been a very good product.

BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 12 V NiMH
BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 12 V NiMH

4.0 out of 5 stars Quietly impressed, 19 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never owned a Bissell product before although I do recall my Mum having a vacuum from this brand when I was small. I'm not sure whether they're still the same company but this particular product is made in China and seems to be pretty sturdy, so I'm hoping that it will last for some time. I don't think it is supposed to be as effective as a new mains-powered vacuum cleaner but it does offer some decent functionality as a compromise. For a start it is obviously cordless and that makes it more manoeuvrable, but for me the detachable handheld unit is the star element in this product since it is a very handy tool and can also get into small places. There's quite a long charge time necessary (8 hours for a full charge) which will give up to 15 minutes of cleaning and I didn't think that that would be enough to get much cleaning done. However, used carefully I have managed to make very good use of the time and so far haven't run out of juice before the vacuuming has been finished.

I have to admit to being quietly impressed with the abilities of this cleaner. It works well on carpet and hard floor surfaces picking up more than I thought that it would which is probably thanks to the powered brush which lifts the dirt. Luckily I have a mains outlet in a cupboard which allows me to store and recharge it out of sight but not everyone will be able to do that so I suggest bearing in mind where you'll be able to keep it before you buy one. I still intend to keep my normal vacuum cleaner but this one will be great for those times when a quick tidy would be sufficient and will save the hassle of getting the bigger machine out then messing with long electrical cord. I think that this machine is ideal for using in that way, but also for smaller homes with less carpeting where it might even suffice as the only machine needed.

Anker® 9.6A / 48W 4-Port USB Car Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy, Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Nokia and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

1.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by a failure, 16 July 2015
I've already bought quite a lot of Anker products (cables, adaptors, batteries, chargers etc) so know the brand to be a very good one. That's why I was disappointed recently when I ordered this in-car USB outlet and it turned out to be faulty. I'd been using it primarily with an in-car dash-cam but had also used it to charge my mobile phone. It was the camera which alerted me to the fact that the output from this product was intermittent, since now and again it would go off for no reason. Obviously, I checked that it was firmly seated etc to no avail, and in the end I went back to using my AmazonBasics 4.0 Amp Dual USB Car Charger for Apple and Android Devices (High Output) instead which works perfectly.

The construction of the Anker unit was very solid and so it seems the fault was an internal one, but I successfully returned it to Amazon for a refund. I'm pretty sure that if I ordered another it would work correctly, and I will certainly buy more Anker products in the future. However, for the time being I'm not going to bother and have to admit to being very disappointed with my purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20