Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

Leitz WOW Click & Store A4 Storage Box (Pink) - ref 60440023
Offered by Shoplet-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Never too much, 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You can never have too much storage. That's a simple fact of life and I've embraced this style of box for a number of years. This one from Leitz is very good and is easily collapsible for those times when its not needed, but is surprisingly sturdy when it is together. I like the fact that it has handles for easy carrying and there's a slot for identification labels which is more of a necessity than a luxury. Mine is in a shocking shade of pink but is attractive all the same, and helps to distinguish between boxes by colour. The RRP is a little on the high side but I guess that's the price of good design and materials.

The Girl With A Clock For A Heart
The Girl With A Clock For A Heart
by Peter Swanson

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the film, 15 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Early reviews had led me to hope that this novel would be one of those rare gems that get under the skin and grip the reader 'till the end. Unfortunately, it's not. Ultimately it was an okay story which passed away some time but was not something that I can recommend for or against. Yes, it has good points but there are many bad ones

The unresolved ending was a disappointment; with so much detail going in to other parts of the book it felt like a cop-out and as if the author had simply run out of time or effort. In my opinion it would be better to wait for the film as at least then you'll only have wasted a couple of hours of your time.

Samsung Memory 64GB Evo MicroSDHC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 Memory Card with SD Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars The best compromise between cost and size, 15 Oct 2014
I bought this card specifically for using with my Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4-inch Tablet (White) - (Snapdragon 800 2.3GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage, WLAN, BT, 2x Camera, Android 4.4). It's been used daily for a few weeks now and worked faultlessly, enabling me to have masses of my music and other media with me. The 64GB size gave me the best compromise between cost and memory space and I know from experience that genuine Samsung cards will last for many years. I bought mine directly from Amazon.

Ultrasport Women's Functional Microfiber Shirt - Greenish Black, X-Small
Ultrasport Women's Functional Microfiber Shirt - Greenish Black, X-Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Both versatile and comfortable, 15 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't sure what to expect with the colour of this garment being described as greenish black but it's absolutely right. Too green to be black and too black to be called green, it is actually an attractive colour for what is a very nice top. I wasn't familiar with the brand until now but can confirm that it is a well designed and well made long-sleeved top. I like the attention to detail and I love the comfortable feeling against skin; I think that this is one of those items which will be worn very regularly because it's both versatile and comfortable.

Vax Air Reach Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax Air Reach Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 13 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The style of this cleaner looks similar to the Dyson range and has similar offerings in terms of cyclone technology but this model is cheaper so could well appeal to those who want that type of product without paying the high prices. It is actually the newest version of an older model (the Vax U90-MA-R) and the manufacturer has altered it to comply with the latest EU regulations relating to design and labelling.

It's not the most robustly made vacuum cleaner I've had but to be fair it does come with a 6-year warranty so that will offer some peace of mind. I've never had to make a warranty claim with Vax so cannot comment from personal experience but friends seem to have had mixed dealings with them; some positive and others not.

For its size I find that it is quite manoeuvrable and relatively easy to lift. I never find it particularly easy to get upright cleaners like this one up and down our stairs because of a turn halfway up and this one is no different in that respect, but it is easy to push around. It comes with a long hose for cleaning stairs and other hard-to-reach places too, although I've noticed that it can topple over when doing this. Extra care and a bit of practice should stop that happening, I hope.

There's pretty strong suction on the cleaner and it seems to clean well across different surfaces. The rotating brush needs to be raised for use on hard floors but that's fairly easy and I like the fact that it can be adjusted for height to suit different users. I've had a brief try of cleaning some hanging curtains which I found quite tricky but I'm hoping that practice will improve things there too. The cord has good length so there's no need to keep re-plugging in each room.

Overall I can say that the cleaner itself is pretty good and I find that it gives decent results. Friends' comments about the reliability of the brand make me question the longevity of the product but I intend to update this review in the event of any issues.

Orbis Revell Airbrush Power Studio
Orbis Revell Airbrush Power Studio

4.0 out of 5 stars Practice makes perfect (and is fun too), 12 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this product was not as complicated as it might have been. However it is still a very capable set that helps users of all ages make interesting and fun artwork. It comes complete with everything that you need to get started, plus more to continue with and I really appreciate the fact that it's so simple to use and in particular to change the paint colours; I'd had expectations of it being a messy process but luckily that's far from reality. Actually, using it makes such little mess that I really don't mind it coming out again on a regular basis.

This is a German product and you do find the high quality that you'd expect, but the sample package that I received to review had a continental plug connector. I hope that the actual item includes a proper UK plug but have knocked off one star on the assumption that it does not. I haven't found any other negative points, which has been a bonus - even the replacement colours are reasonably priced through Amazon so I know that this could be a sustainable investment.

The actual results achieved have improved with practice and there was a comparatively short learning curve with my nieces and I. However I do think that the manufacturers' suggestion regarding age is about right and that it's best suited for age 8 and over. There's certainly no upper limit to it though and this adult enjoys using it too.

Anker® 40W 5-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Wall Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air 2, Mini 3, Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Note 4 3, Tab 4 3 2 Pro, HTC One (M8), Google Nexus 4 5 6 7 9 10, External Battery, PS Vita, Gopro and more (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 10 Oct 2014
This USB charging unit is excellent. For me it has meant that I don't need lots of different chargers to cope with all of my devices as this single unit can replace them all - even the more powerful ones. That's good at home but absolutely fantastic when it comes to travelling. An all round great product.

Netgear R7500 Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Wireless Quad Stream Gigabit Cable Router, 1.4 GHz Dual Core, Dynamic QoS, Twin USB 3.0 and eSATA Ports, Beamforming+, IPv6 Support

4.0 out of 5 stars Top-end router, 10 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This new router from Netgear is at the top end of the market. It comes with the latest bells and whistles and offers to make your wireless life faster, especially if you are a gamer or need to share large files across the home network. My own broadband connection is via fibre so I get pretty good internet speeds. Using a router such as this one won't increase that speed but will maximize the transfer speeds between devices. I find that it's most noticeable when moving files such as when I am streaming movies to handheld devices, my home cinema system or wirelessly doing backups of my files. Simply adding a hard drive using one the USB connections will turn it into a NAS drive (network accessed storage) for access to files through the router. Basically, that means you could access your files on a handheld device with no need for a physical connection.

Wireless range seems to be pretty good but not as great as I'd hoped. I live in a fairly large house and it does cover each room well but unfortunately doesn't extend as far into the garden as far as I'd have liked. One positive element to that is security since it means the network won't extend too far towards neighbours and potential hackers.

It's worth noting that this is a router only and won't give access to the Internet without a modem. I use the one supplied when my fibre connection was installed. It can be connected easily and is not hard to get up and running. As is often the case with the better manufacturers (like Netgear) there were updates are available to the firmware for this router but within a short time everything was up and running and fully updated. However the default password for the router settings was too simple and should be changed as soon as possible to something else more secure. Manufacturers should do more to explain the necessity of this when using simple passwords, but leaving it unchanged may exposure the network to hackers. It is possible to use the Netgear Genie app with this router; that is ok but doesn't let you do everything you can do on a PC and is probably only worth installing if you have a technical interest in it as it's not necessary otherwise.

The R7500 Nighthawk seems to be optimised for gamers but could also be a good purchase for those people looking to future proof their setup as it should certainly be able to cope with improvements in current systems and do a good job until the next big development in wifi comes along. However I do think it is expensive and will probably not be the first choice unless you absolutely want the best regardless of cost.

Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium 13.0 (PC)
Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium 13.0 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Taming the Dragon, 4 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A couple of months ago I discovered the voice search facility on my Android mobile phone and was delighted to see that it could also be used to dictate emails and other documents. However, it hasn't been faultless and I've found that although it's quicker than typing there is still a need to carefully go over the entered text and correct any mistakes. Because of that I was keen to try this dedicated software package from Dragon to see if it was better and worth paying for.

There is a headset which comes with this version of the software which is basic but works ok. It's a simple plastic affair with a bendable microphone arm and it can be adjusted to suit each user. Whilst it is not the prettiest or most comfortable headset that I have used it is certainly good enough for light use and most users will be happy with it. Installing Dragon was a longer process than I had anticipated. Software will normally install on my decent laptop in under ten minutes, even with large programs but for some reason this one took well over an hour. Any expectation of using it soon after opening the package were well and truly blown away and I recommend leaving plenty of time for new users to get it installed and set up.

Setting up wasn't as straightforward as I'd expected either although that was partly because carefully setting up the user profile will give better results in the long run. With a little practice I have managed to make Dragon work well for me, and in fact it was surprisingly easy after a while to achieve some very accurate results. In comparison with the Android software this product is streets ahead and I have fewer mistakes using it. I have noticed a few errors creeping in, mostly with missing words but I am hoping that with practice this will improve and despite the shortcomings that I have encountered I am still rather impressed with this Dragon software.

Tacwise 180/15MM 18G Nails (2000)
Tacwise 180/15MM 18G Nails (2000)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stronger than they look, 2 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've recently used these nails with both a hand-held Tacwise Z3-140 Staple Gun. Staple Gun Tacker and the Tacwise 181ELS Electric Nail Gun. Results with the hand-held model were a little disappointing compared with the electric model which coped very well and the combination of these nails with that tool proved to be very good for a DIY project I was doing. An initial look at these nails didn't suggest that they were up to the job as they don't look that tough when in their strip form before loading, but in fact they are stronger than they might seem and I was quite impressed by them. They are also galvanised to resist the elements and I plan on making more use of them in the future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20