Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

BT Paragon 550 Corded Telephone Answering Machine - White
BT Paragon 550 Corded Telephone Answering Machine - White
Offered by Bargain Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good phone, 14 Dec 2014
Despite having a set of cordless phones around the house I always keep a wired phone plugged in just in case of an emergency during a power cut. My old one wasn't working that well any more so I decided to buy this one as a replacement. It's a very presentable looking phone which is nicely laid out with good-sized buttons which are easy to use for larger or older fingers, and I find it to be clearly marked too.

The digital display will only work when the unit is plugged in although the phone itself will still make and receive calls when it isn't powered. It is possible to program the phone with names and numbers so that when a call is received the caller's name appears in the display (provided you have caller display enabled) which I find very handy when ignoring cold-callers. Because the phone does not have a battery back-up I was worried that all of the numbers that I have saved would be lost in the event that it was unplugged, but I needn't have worried; they were all still there afterwards. It did forget the time and date but that is automatically set again as soon as you make a phone call, or it can be done manually if you prefer.

The handset is comfortable to hold and the sound quality is very good. I find it to be very clear, and it's possible to easily adjust the volume on the earpiece simply by using the large button on the base unit. The wires for plugging it in and also connecting to the phone box were easily long enough to reach and I think that it is a very well-made product. The only thing that I don't like about it is the ringtones - there were quite a few to choose from but I don't really like any of them. If you want a standard ring tone then you'd better look elsewhere as this one only has more modern ones, including some polyphonic ringtones. I did manage to find one that I could use, but I prefer ringtones to be kept simpler. On balance it is still a very good phone and I do not regret choosing this one.

Transcend Suction Mount for DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder
Transcend Suction Mount for DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad that I bought it, 14 Dec 2014
The standard windscreen mount that is supplied with the Drivepro 200 is a permanent stick-on pad which didn't suit me as I needed to be able to change where I positioned the camera. For that reason I also bought this official suction pad mount which works well and has proven to be worthwhile as it offers flexible positioning of the camera but still holds it firmly enough so that there's no evidence of vibration on the filmed results. It's a shame that it wasn't included with the camera in the first place but I'm glad that I bought it.

Transcend 16GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi
Transcend 16GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing but not perfect, 14 Dec 2014
I had chosen the Drivepro 200 as a replacement for one that I had previously bought from one of the German supermarkets. That one had been on special offer and seemed to offer a similar specification to this model but at half of the price, although it later proved to be faulty and was returned. However, I was able to try it out before that and found that the daytime picture quality was at least as good as this more expensive model, and better in terms of clarity (reading registration plates etc). The actual camera and software are better with the Drivepro 200 but the results of the video are disappointing. Yes, in the event of an accident I would be able to offer something to demonstrate events that occurred in the view of the recorder, but I find it frustrating that there isn't always enough detail to identify vehicles or people.

During playback of the video on a laptop the quality of the images is disappointing; even on screenshots I sometimes find that despite bright, clear weather conditions it's not even possible to read number plates on parked cars that I have driven past at only 20mph. That basically limits the value of this for evidence in the event of an accident, although it is obviously better than not having it at all. This model does have a very good field of view - at 160 degrees it easily gets the whole front of my vehicle in view plus some to the sides.

The standard windscreen mount that is supplied is a permanent stick-on pad which didn't suit me as I need to be able to change where I position the camera. For that reason I also bought the official suction pad mount which works well but costs more money. However, that did prove to be worthwhile as it offers flexible positioning of the camera but still holds it firmly enough so that there's no evidence of vibration on the filmed results. It's a shame that it wasn't included with the camera in the first place but I'm glad that I bought it.

You must go to the Transcend website for software and firmware updates unless you are able to do this using your tablet or mobile phone. I needed to use the website to download the file but found that but there are no instructions as to which file you need. Updating the device's firmware proved more of a chore than necessary due to the lack of instruction. I eventually found the instructions inside the update file and the task became quite simple - why not put some instructions on the website including some indication of which file should be downloaded?

The g sensor had to be turned off as it was way too sensitive on all of the settings. Even turning a corner or driving down a bumpy lane resulted in the files becoming automatically protected which then caused a problem when the limit for that type of file was reached. One positive point was that the unit did hold the date and time when I recently went away and the car was not used for two and a half weeks, so problems that earlier reviewers had identified with their units appear to have been fixed.

The Wi-Fi feature has given mixed results. Away from home or any recognised Wi-Fi network I can connect ok and make adjustments, watch recorded video clips etc. However, at home I cannot do this within range of my broadband router. If that is switched on both my phone and tablet recognise the DrivePro network as having a slow internet connection in comparison and automatically disconnect from the Drivepro which makes this feature fairly useless most of the time.

I have mixed opinions on the Drivepro 200. I was expecting better results and I'm not sure that I would choose to buy another unless the output files were going to be better. I think that this type of product is still in the transition phase and hasn't gotten good enough yet to be a must-buy, but for peace of mind this is still probably as good as you can get for now.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2014 7:54 PM GMT

Thermos Thermocafe 2010 Steel Travel Mug, 0.4 Litre
Thermos Thermocafe 2010 Steel Travel Mug, 0.4 Litre

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 10 Dec 2014
I bought a couple of these mugs specifically for taking hot drinks outside with me. They are quite effective in keeping drinks warm, although pre-heating the cup with hot water before actually making the drink does help a lot. Even in very cold temperatures I find that my coffee stays hot for about an hour after making it. They are easy-ish to clean but are not dishwasher-proof and shouldn't be immersed in water. The lid is screw-on which I like and although not leak-proof I don't have any problems with seepage even when carrying it, nor in the car. It is one of the cheaper thermal mugs currently available on Amazon and is a good choice.

Wahl Lithium Pro Stubble Trimmer
Wahl Lithium Pro Stubble Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good choice, 10 Dec 2014
This is my first stubble trimmer so I wasn't sure what to expect from it. I had done some research before choosing and decided that I didn't need all of the bells-and-whistles such as laser guidance (yes, some trimmers do have this!) but still wanted a decent, useable trimmer. I finally picked this one and bought it from Amazon.

It is a good little unit which works well and is simple to use. Personally, I'd have preferred a slightly wider cutting edge so that more trimming could be done at once, but it still does a good job. In fact the smaller size does have some advantages as it allows easier and more accurate detailing, for example tidying the area around the mouth. It has a simple on/off sliding switch to operate it and the comb can be adjusted to suit various lengths of beard. There is another sliding button to lock your choice of length, but I think it's too easy to unlock it by accident; two or three times I've turned on the trimmer and also moved the lock switch at the same time.

The beard cutting lengths are marked off in numbers which is helpful, although the steps are a little big. My own preferred choice for a setting lies somewhere in between positions 2 and 3, so if Wahl were looking to make an improved version of this trimmer then I'd suggest that half-positions would be a good idea. The trimmer is reasonably quiet in use, comfortable to hold and is a very good choice of trimmer in my opinion.

NOCO Genius Boost UltraSafe GB30 Jump Starter 12 V Lithium
NOCO Genius Boost UltraSafe GB30 Jump Starter 12 V Lithium

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm keeping it in my own car, 10 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
No matter how well prepared a car owner may be there will always come a time when a battery failure occurs. Often there are symptoms beforehand, but not always and in the past when I've been caught out it was always a case of finding another vehicle to use with jump-leads in order to get going again.

This style of power pack has been around for a while now, but I've never seen one this compact before. This one doesn't have a storage case which is a shame, but the packaging is still pretty compact and won't take up much space in the boot of the car. The box contains everything that you're going to need so it can be seen as one-stop starting pack, plus it is versatile enough to allow use as a torch or as a USB charger for phones and other devices.

One thing that really surprised me is the way the power pack is charged up before use. Although mine arrived partially charged I did give it a full charge before using it, and found that instead of having to plug it into the mains it simply charges through the supplied USB lead using the same type of micro-USB connector as a modern mobile phone. Despite the low-capacity charging method it still charged quickly and was fully charged within a couple of hours.

The build quality of the unit itself and all of the accessories is very good, and the simplicity of using it should definitely make it something that could safely be used by anyone. I'm pretty confident using the traditional jump-leads but this little package takes away all of the risks and also the need for another vehicle and I think it's a must-have for any driver who regularly travels alone or at quiet times. My wife isn't technical at all, but even she would be able to use it quite capably.

The only real issue I have with it is the instructions. The booklet is quite small, with small print and I needed to wear my spectacles to read it. Personally, I'd have liked larger print and also some diagrams as it would have made the whole affair much simpler. Although the device ensures safe use with its built-in technology most customers probably won't realise how capable it is because they won't bother reading the booklet which I think defeats the objective. Nevertheless, it's still a device that I can recommend highly and it's certainly something that I will be keeping in my own vehicle.

MADAME LA LA Tan 200 ml
MADAME LA LA Tan 200 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars A new favourite, 3 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Initial thoughts on this tanning product were pretty positive. Although we did not recognise the brand, it's reasonably high price suggested that we should expect a good product and so far it has proven to be just that. Application is fairly simple and very similar to other tanning products so anyone who has used one before won't find this one hard to use. It consists of a nice cream which spreads readily and is not too smelly. Because of its colouring it is easy to see where it has been applied and it also dries very quickly. We like the fsact that it does not transfer onto clothes, bedding etc.

The results are pretty good with a streak-free finish and a natural looking tan although early use suggests that it isn't very dark. That may have been because too little product was used, but further use will see if that improves and I will update this review as we go. Fading looks very natural, without any obvious patches and of the many tanning products tried this one looks to be our favourite so far.

Logitech Type-S Keyboard Protective Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Logitech Type-S Keyboard Protective Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab S

4.0 out of 5 stars The top choice keyboard case for the Tab S, 26 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the fact that several improvements have been made to this case compared to the very similar cases that Logitech has produced for other tablets. It's not adjustable for angle but there is now a very effective magnetic arm to hold the case in position when open and I have found that it works well. The general standard of manufacture is very high, as you'd expect from this brand and also at this sort of price. It's certainly not a cheap cover but from experience I have to say that cheap is not the way to go with keyboards or cases. Personally, I'd have liked more padding or soft material in the case as I think it would offer more peace of mind when it comes to accidental knocks and drops, but the harder plastic used should at least make it hard-wearing and it's likely to retain its good looks for longer.

Setting up proved to be easy when it came to pairing the tablet to the keyboard, with no issues. Although it's not a full-sized keyboard it is very nicely spaced out and enables easy, comfortable typing. I find that I make far fewer mistakes using this keyboard than with some other Bluetooth keyboards that I have used, even larger ones. It has a good action on the keys with just enough travel to feel right, but not so much that the keyboard would have to be made physically deeper.

I particularly appreciate that the keyboard has a UK £ sign on it, unlike so many stand-alone Bluetooth keyboards. The battery life has so far proven to be excellent too. There's a USB cable included in the box to enable charging, although there isn't anywhere on the case to actually store it. Maybe a retractable cable could be included in future models? The function where the tablet automatically goes into sleep mode when the cover is closed is something that I really like - it's often the little things like that which makes the difference between a good product and a great one. If the price is right then this is the top choice cover for this tablet.

Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 6 Watt LED Dimmable Luster, Warm White
Philips E14 Small Edison Screw 6 Watt LED Dimmable Luster, Warm White
Offered by sotel-germany

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very pleased with this bulb, 24 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unusually for a modern bulb, this LED bulb from Philips is actually quite attractive and even looks good when in view rather than hidden away inside a lamp. I've used it to replace a golf ball sized bulb in a lamp that has limited space inside, and it has proven to be the perfect fit. The old one was a low-energy bulb that was supposed to be equivalent to a 40w incandescent but this is much brighter and has a pleasant white light. Switch-on is instant (unlike some LED bulbs) with a good spread of light rather than a narrow beam. I've also tried it in an open chandelier-style light fitting and it looks far nicer than the other bulbs which are fitted. I'm contemplating buying more of these LED bulbs to replace them but I'd also need some to match with a bayonet fitting and unfortunately they don't seem to be available. I hope that Philips will expand their range to include that fitting as I'm very pleased with this bulb.

The Man Who Risked It All
The Man Who Risked It All
by Laurent Gounelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 16 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Man Who Risked It All reminded me of the kind of books you read as a child which have lessons within the story, and it did feel a little off-putting to this adult. It's certainly not great literature in the normal sense, although the writing is perfectly acceptable. I can't decide whether I was naturally wary of the neuro-linguistic programming or whether it was just an uninvolving novel but either way I can only say that it was `okay' and that I have no plans to read more from this author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20