Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-01
Rapesco Stapler, Heavy Duty Stapler Zero-01

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried and tested, 30 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We had this very model of stapler in a busy workplace I was at. Used throughout each day to secure thick bundles of paperwork this Rapesco stapler never failed to work and coped admirably with a workload that had already seen off several smaller models. Despite flinching at the price when it was first purchased it proved to be a very good purchase and I know that it is still going strong seven years later.

At 23cm long the Rapesco Zero-01 is a large desk-top stapler with a very smart silver appearance. It is simple to use and reload and it is capable to fastening up to 50 sheets at once depending on the type of staples fitted. I like the attention to detail in the design and the fact that is has a rubberised base so that it doesn't slide around in use, and there is a small `window' underneath for identification purposes. There is also a fifteen year guarantee on it but in my opinion there's very little chance that you would ever need to claim on it as this thing feels solid and is likely to last far longer.

Stanley STHT5-20211 20-inch/ 500mm Heavy Duty Saw (Pack of 5)
Stanley STHT5-20211 20-inch/ 500mm Heavy Duty Saw (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars The moral of the story..., 28 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These saws arrived just in time to help with a weekend of DIY. I'd already been using my old saw for cutting and it coped quite well, or so I thought at the time. It was only after using one of these that I realised what I'd been missing as it made the job so much faster. Most of the work involved cutting up old wooden frameworks and wood-fibre boards but the day after I had a load of logs to cut. Performance of the saw is still good after doing everything so I'd expect this pack of five to last me some time. The moral of the story appears to be that it's often worth replacing that trusty old saw even if it does seem to still cut okay, and that this new saw is a good choice for a replacement.

Fulton Lulu Guinness Birdcage Umbrella Birdcage
Fulton Lulu Guinness Birdcage Umbrella Birdcage

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 27 Sep 2014
A few years ago I bought a 'normal' clear Fulton Birdcage umbrella for my wife and she was thrilled with it. So thrilled that she has since developed an appreciation for a nice brolly and bought some more, but when she spotted this one from the same manufacturer and designed by Lulu Guinness she just had to have it. It's not that different to the standard model but the actual birdcage design and the colourful bird are lovely. It is a good size for one or two people but not so big that it gets in the way when shopping in crowded areas. It also looks very stylish and became the perfect accessory at a wedding we recently attended when it began to rain and the official photographer asked to borrow it for a photograph with the bride!

TCP LED GU10 5 Watt LED Spotlight, White
TCP LED GU10 5 Watt LED Spotlight, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 27 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm pleased to be able to say that unlike some other LED bulbs that I have tried the description of `warm white' should actually apply to it. More often than not my experience has been that the light from LED bulbs is too clinical and white despite being described as warm but this one suits my purposes perfectly. I have it in a recessed fitting in a bathroom and find that the light it provides compliments skin tones nicely whilst still offering plenty of light. The actual lamp has a white plastic body which is best suited with white lamp fixtures but does look ok with silver ones too.

Tacwise Heavy Duty 140 TypeStaples 10mm (2000)
Tacwise Heavy Duty 140 TypeStaples 10mm (2000)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good general use staple, 27 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Most recently I have been using these staples with the Tacwise A54 Hammer Tacker Bundle with 140/10mm Stainless Steel Staples where they did a good job of securing some roofing felt. At 10mm they are quite a good length for securing thicker materials too and I've also used them to temporarily fix some thin panels. I haven't encountered any issues with them and previous experience of staples from this brand suggests that they are very durable.

Tacwise A54 Hammer Tacker Bundle with 140/10mm Stainless Steel Staples
Tacwise A54 Hammer Tacker Bundle with 140/10mm Stainless Steel Staples

4.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy and very good, 27 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hammer tackers like this are something that I have use for only occasionally but they are still very handy tools when it comes to jobs such as tacking underlay for carpets, insulation materials under wooden/laminate flooring or for re-felting a shed roof as I have just done. I managed to give this tool a good test in doing so and found it to be comfortable to use for the whole job and that it was just the right weight to put the staples in without damaging the surrounding surface. I liked the easy loading of the staples and the simplicity of the tool, although it does look to be extremely well put together from tough materials and I have no doubt that it is going to last for a long time. It is supplied with a large quantity of suitable staples too so you can get on with using it right away.

Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good purchase, 27 Sep 2014
It's almost two years since I bought this router and it has proven to be an excellent purchase. It was pretty simple to set up and has given fast but steady connection ever since on both wireless and wired networks. Asus have updated their original firmware a number of times since but installing that has been pretty straightforward too using the built in software so I have no complaints about it. This was definitely a very good purchase.

Energenie Remote Control Sockets (Pack of 4)
Energenie Remote Control Sockets (Pack of 4)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 27 Sep 2014
I needed a new set of remote controlled sockets and having read the reviews and specification of this set on Amazon I decided that it would be my best choice. Unfortunately that proved to be wrong as they were faulty when I tried to use them - the sockets made a horribly noticeable humming noise when plugged in and the controller wouldn't switch any of them on despite carefully following the instructions. Even if they had switched on I couldn't have coped with the excessive noise and I know that isn't a standard feature of these devices because I've had two other sets in the past, both of which were cheaper too. I didn't bother asking for a replacement set from Amazon because of that but as usual their service was very good and they refunded my money. Now I have to find an alternative set...

Soehnle 63350 Pharo 200 BMI 8 Person Recognition Analyser Scale
Soehnle 63350 Pharo 200 BMI 8 Person Recognition Analyser Scale

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart analyser scales, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a smart looking set of scales from a reputable German manufacturer. Like most other weighing scales they need to be used on a level surface but they do have added features over `normal' models since they can analyse the body to determine fat, water and muscle content. Using further information that is stored for each user they can then work out your BMI (body mass index) for a rough guide to your health in relation to your weight. A handy button underneath the scales gives the opportunity to change the display to preferred measurement units - Kg, lbs or stones/lbs.

I found that it is easier than it looks to set it up for each user and the ability to set up these scales for up to eight people is great. It takes just a few minutes to have them personalised and the scales then cleverly remember the readings for next time so that you don't have to keep entering your height, age and sex each time that you use them. There is a very good, clear display which gives symbols to show the body's percentage of fat, water and muscle as measured by the device. It is necessary to have bare feet when doing this for a good electrical contact but don't worry as it is perfectly safe unless you have a heart pacemaker device fitted. My previous experience of scales like this was in a gym and I found them useful to monitor my progress. For example although I found that my weight didn't change very much the scales showed that my fat levels had fallen and turned into muscle instead. Without knowing that I may have become disheartened that my exercise regime was having little effect.

Amazon says that there is a five year guarantee on this product but the packaging says it's only three years. However, it does look well-made and I'm hoping that the German engineering will mean the warranty would never be necessary anyway. The instructions are okay but are a little confusing because of the multiple languages used both in the leaflet and on the packaging. It's still possible to follow them but a little extra patience might be necessary. There are one or two anomalies too; for example the first instruction is to remove the battery tab before use but when I went looking for it I found that there was no tab to pull, and in fact there were no batteries fitted either although they were supplied loose in the box.

Another slightly negative point is that there isn't anything in the instruction booklet to properly explain what the measured data means. For example although the display provides a pictorial guide to the user's measurements I'd have liked something to explain the data further but instead I had to go looking on an internet reference page for a decent guide.

It would also have been good to have the ability to further review my measurements after they were taken. Although they get displayed on the screen for a few seconds it would be useful to be able to call them up again so that they could be noted down in order to track personal progress. Replacing the batteries does mean that they must be set up again from scratch but as this type of equipment typically has a long battery life that shouldn't be a big issue. Overall I can say that this is a good set of analyser scales and I do recommend them as a very handy body-fitness tool.

Karin Herzog Eye Cream 15 ml
Karin Herzog Eye Cream 15 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, 21 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unfortunately I found myself looking in a mirror and wondering who the dark-eyed stranger was looking back at me. Early mornings and late nights have a habit of wreaking havoc on my face - especially around my eyes, and I suppose that products like this are aimed at people like me. It's not made specifically for men or women as far as I can tell and both my wife and I have been trying this cream in the hope of looking fresher, younger and less like someone who has been burning the candle at both ends.

The tube is quite small but then only a very small amount is needed. The advice for use is quite contrary to what we're used to as it isn't supposed to be rubbed in as usual; instead it is supposed to be gently patted into the skin. It still absorbs very easily so that's not a problem and it certainly does leave the skin feeling very rich afterwards, although not greasy. It's too early to say whether it will reduce the darkness around our eyes but it really has improved the texture. I intend to monitor progress and update this review with the results but in the meantime will reserve final judgement and award four stars out of five.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20