Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kärcher K5 Compact Home High Pressure Washer With Home Kit
Kärcher K5 Compact Home High Pressure Washer With Home Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish that I had upgraded to this model much sooner than I did, 31 Aug. 2015
My old pressure washer was also made by Karcher and had lasted a long time before I decided to replace it. Initially I wasn't sure which model to choose and was also reluctant to buy one of the compact models, but having finally plumped for this one I can say that that it has been a good choice. There wasn't very much assembly necessary and I had it working within minutes of opening the box. It is a very powerful unit and I can see that Karcher has improved its products quite a lot in the 9 years since I bought my old one. Connecting the hoses is simpler now, and a lot better than before plus the one in this package is longer too meaning that it has a far better reach than before. I like the nozzles that were supplied and find that I'm able to do most jobs with them but still rely on the supplied T-Racer for cleaning my paving and driveway. Although it wasn't really necessary I'm wishing that I had chosen to upgrade to this model sooner than I did because of the extra features and better performance.

GROHE 27296001 Euphoria Shower System with Shower Thermostat
GROHE 27296001 Euphoria Shower System with Shower Thermostat

4.0 out of 5 stars A great shower but with reservations, 31 Aug. 2015
After years of making do with only an electric shower I was faced with a choice when it finally broke down. Should I just replace it with another electric unit (the simple option), or finally get a plumbed in mixer shower? I'm pleased to say that I chose the more expensive second option and after sorting out the plumbing and re-tiling I had the Grohe Euphoria 180 in place. The showering experience itself is amazing! I've been lucky enough to experience some very good showers on my travels, as well as lots of poor ones but this is absolutely the best I've ever used. It's best likened to showering under a warm waterfall and the experience really is lovely. I am lucky enough to have good water pressure and a powerful boiler so have very good flow rates, but I was still surprised at how effective the shower itself is at delivering a great shower experience.

The hand-held spray head has four different positions which are selected by turning the head around with the raised button. Their patterns range from a normal spray to a massage pulsing spray which is very effective. The main rain-shower head is not adjustable for pattern but can be moved to the left and right which is handy if the mixer bar is offset from the middle of the bath/cubicle. It can also be tilted to direct the spray if necessary. The shower itself looks very good when installed and has lots of shining chrome with an obvious quality feel to it. All apart from the grey coloured plastic hose which runs to the hand-held shower head that is, and which I didn't like the look of. My plastic hose also leaked when fitted so I switched it with another metallic hose which I already had and now it really does look amazing. It's a shame that Grohe have chosen to supply the one that they did because it not only looks very unstylish but it is also comparatively rigid and doesn't flex very easily which I found to be a nuisance.

The supplied instructions are quite poor and rely mostly on small diagrams for an installation guide. In my opinion that isn't good enough for those who aren't good at DIY and in my case it helped that I did have an idea of what to do rather than rely on the handbook. One other thing that I was quite disappointed about was the Grohe technical helpline. I needed some help during the installation and decided to call them at around 4:45 on a Friday afternoon only to find that the service had closed at 4:30 and would not re-open until 9am on the following Monday. Luckily, I was able to find the answer from a knowledgeable friend instead. I did still try to get through to them during their opening hours but did not manage it and eventually gave up. It's also worth noting that their UK number begins with `0871' and so is a premium rate call which is not included in most calling plans.

Overall I am pleased with my purchase but I do have some reservations. Firstly, I was disappointed with some elements of the product - most notably the leaking hose and its cheap appearance which is at odds with the great looks of the shiny chrome. I was also disappointed that the technical helpline wasn't available when I needed it and even when I tried to get through during opening hours they were busy. I definitely recommend this shower but my opinion of the manufacturer is not as high as it once was.

Samsung SAM 850 Pro 512GB 2.5 inch SATA III Solid State Drive
Samsung SAM 850 Pro 512GB 2.5 inch SATA III Solid State Drive
Offered by Mystic UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I have no hesitation in recommending it, 31 Aug. 2015
I chose this SSD to upgrade my laptop and replace one of the original HDD that were factory-fitted, leaving the other in place. Fitting it was remarkably simple and thanks to the Samsung software which was supplied the whole thing was a doddle, and certainly wasn't as tricky a task as I had initially thought it might be. It had everything I needed in the box apart from a cable, but luckily I already had one to hand. The start-up time is probably where the most noticeable improvements have been made as it now takes only a quarter of the time it did before Windows is ready to use. Obviously, it also runs quieter, cooler and faster in general and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

CABLE ACCESS KIT 3.3M electricians wiring rods hook etc
CABLE ACCESS KIT 3.3M electricians wiring rods hook etc
Offered by tooltime uk ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 31 Aug. 2015
For years I've used the fish tape style of tool for cable access but sometimes it just doesn't do what I need it to. That's why I recently ordered this set and so far I am very pleased with it. It's pretty well made and is stronger than I had expected - reviews of similar tools have been quite mixed but this one seemed to have more positive ones which is why I chose it. I've tested it quite thoroughly and haven't found any issues so far. I particularly like the fact that the threads are strong and the inclusion of a short, flexible length of tool means that it can cope with some bends. Mine was bought from Tooltime via the Amazon Marketplace and their service was good with fast dispatch and delivery through Royal Mail.

Spudz SPBK20 10x10 Micro Fibre Lens Cloth In Pouch -Black
Spudz SPBK20 10x10 Micro Fibre Lens Cloth In Pouch -Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, 31 Aug. 2015
I like the simple idea of having a lens cleaning cloth kept handy in a cover like this one. It's a little more awkward than I'd expected to get the cloth back into the cover and I do find that I have to handle it more than I'd like, but overall I do think that it is a great idea. The cloth itself is good quality and cleans very easily delivering good smudge-free results. I have noticed that there is also a smaller version of this cloth available but personally I find that this size is just right.

L'Oreal Garnier Skin Naturals Hand Repair Cream - 100 ml
L'Oreal Garnier Skin Naturals Hand Repair Cream - 100 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 31 Aug. 2015
My hands are prone to having very dry and sometime flaky skin so I rely on a decent moisturising cream to keep things in order. Despite my best efforts (and those of various product manufacturers) that is still not enough and sometimes I have to send in the big guns to sort out my skin. I recently discovered this repair cream and ordered it based on other reviews which I had seen and also the brand reputation. I'm glad that I took a chance as it has proven to be very good and has delivered decent results. It soaks in very easily and although there is a slight greasiness afterwards it's not enough to make my hands slippery so I am still able to grip things well enough. The trouble is that my other half has now discovered it too and so the contents of the tube are rapidly disappearing.

NIVEA MEN Deep Cleansing Face Wash - 100 ml
NIVEA MEN Deep Cleansing Face Wash - 100 ml
Offered by Cutting Edge Enterprise

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 31 Aug. 2015
This wasn't my regular face wash but I bought some when I couldn't find the one I'd intended to buy. I'm glad that I did as it's actually a very good product - it foams easily and cleans the skin and beard very well but still rinses off without much effort. My skin feels fresh and clean afterwards with no tightness of the skin or greasiness so I'm very pleased with it.

Linksys EA8500 Max-Stream Dual Band 4 x 4 MU-MIMO AC2600 Smart Wi-Fi Router with USB 3.0, 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports, eSata Port and Open VPN

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good router, 31 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like most homes these days mine has lots of gadgets that need access to the internet as well as my computers. From televisions through to tablets and smartphones all of them need a good, stable WiFi connection which makes a decent router invaluable, and that is why manufacturers such as Linksys are now producing routers such as this one which are particularly aimed at handling multiple users at the same time.

It's worth noting that this router is specifically designed for cable connections such as through Virgin Media, or for fibre broadband which is what I'm using it with. Setting up this unit was quite straightforward and worked first time so it should not pose a problem even for those who haven't done so before. However, anyone still wary of setting up this sort of equipment will find plenty of advice and instruction online if they already have access (a simple search will usually throw up answers to any issues you may have). Apart from the modem everything you'll need is inside the box and only basic assembly of the aerials is required as well as plugging in some cables.

There are plenty of decent wired connections on this unit too; four Gigabit connections mean that you can plug other Ethernet connected devices and create a wired home network as well as a wireless one. I find that especially useful for NAS drives and to share the network into the furthest reaches of my home. Although the wireless range of the Linksys EA8500 is pretty good and is comparable with other AC routers I still have to use other methods of accessing the network in some rooms and therefore appreciate those connections to do so. I particularly like the inclusion of a USB 3.0 port on this router and can't help wonder why more things aren't using this latest standard.

Physically this unit is quite big and that seems to be a feature of many of the Linksys routers that I have tried. In some ways that's not a bad thing so long as you have the space to accommodate it, and at least it is fairly restrained in appearance so doesn't look too unsightly in the home. It's also worth noting that the display lights on the front of the router can be turned off if you don't like them, although personally I do prefer to see them as they can be a useful indication of what's happening with the router. The Smart Wi-Fi app works well for setting up and allowing quick access to the router's settings.

Anyone still using the standard router supplied with their internet package will benefit from upgrading to a router like this one. Some providers (such as Plusnet and TalkTalk) only send a very basic model despite claiming that they are worth a small fortune and if that's your situation then I'm sure you won't look back by considering this model. I'd like to be able to say that its wireless range was massively better than any others that I've used and although it is not it's still a very good router and seems to do a good job in every way.

Targus THZ592EU Fit 'N' Grip Rotating universal stand case cover fits 9-10 inch Tablets - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars So close and yet so far..., 30 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Until now I had never owned a Targus product but was under the impression that they didn't make high quality stuff. I'm not sure why I thought that but having seen this case I certainly don't think that any more - it's really good in many ways. It's well made, and I think that some of the design is very clever too. Lots of features that I like in a case are in this one including drop protection, and so many other little things such as a rotating holder which allows the tablet to turn a full circle; that's so you can change from landscape view (when surfing the net for example) to portrait view (great for reading e-books) without losing the ideal angle for viewing the screen. One of the strengths in this design is that it protects against drop-damage and that is partially achieved by using stretchy silicon to hold the tablet in place. Unfortunately, it is also the Achilles heel as the silicon corners are a little too big and interfere with buttons etc, and limit access to some connections. For example I've been using it with my Samsung tablet and find that the earphone socket is covered by one corner, and the power button is partially covered by another. I haven't experienced any issues with the tablet switching on/off because of it, but I am wary in case it does. In many ways this is a great case, but in others it isn't good at all. So close and yet so far...

Quartet 585 x 430 mm Cork Board with Sleek Black Wooden Frame
Quartet 585 x 430 mm Cork Board with Sleek Black Wooden Frame

4.0 out of 5 stars Tidy-time for my kitchen, 27 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As cork notice boards go this one is very nice. The black frame is fairly attractive and makes it look more presentable and better than the usual style of board that I have seen. It looks pretty good on the wall in my kitchen and has proven to be quite handy for those notes that always seemed to get left around and sometimes lost, as well as a few nice photos that I never quite got around to framing. I like the fact that they have included some simple wall fixings with this board and it was quite easy to put up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20