Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 242

A Smile and a Wave (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mr Beams MB702 Wireless Motion-Sensing Mini Stick-Anywhere LED Night Lights, White

4.0 out of 5 stars I am quite pleased with them, 22 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although I was aware of the Mr Beams brand through friends’ recommendation this pack was my first experience of one of their products. It is a pack of two LED lights which are small enough to mount discreetly in indoor areas where some extra light is required. They are PIR sensor enabled which means that they only operate when someone is in front of them, and from experience their operating range is between 3 – 4 metres (approx. 9 – 12ft). They also have built-in daylight sensors so that they don’t come on during daylight although I have found that they tend to come on a little earlier than is necessary, and unfortunately they are not adjustable for that.

The lights themselves are bright enough to be able to make things out in a bigger room but are better suited to smaller areas. I have found them to be very handy in my shed and also in my attic where I don’t have mains-powered lighting. They can be mounted using the double-sided sticky pads which are supplied or with a couple of small screws through the case. I like the fact that the units are quite compact and only measure around the same size as a TV remote-control unit (113 x 47 x 24 mm) but it’s worth noting that they aren’t supplied with any batteries. I haven’t had to change the batteries in my lamps yet so can’t comment on battery usage. There are a couple of features that I would like to see improved but overall I am quite pleased with them.

Stuff I Wish I'd Known When I Started Working
Stuff I Wish I'd Known When I Started Working
by Fergus O'Connell

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 19 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been in work for many years and have learned things through that time which I'd have loved to have known when I first entered the workforce. On first seeing this book you might deduce from the title that it would only be useful to those who are new to the world of work, and while it is true that group could make good use of it I have to say that I found it just as useful and interesting although perhaps for different reasons. It is full of little gems that you find yourself agreeing with and so many wise words that you'll wonder why it hasn't been written like this before. It's quite a compact book and is laid out in short sections which are easy to dip into which not only ensures you won't get bored reading it but also makes it extremely easy to make occasional reference to it. Highly recommended.

Angelo Caro 7W 300LM Mini CREE LED Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp-Green(1 mode)
Offered by E-Goal UK Store

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little torch, 11 Mar. 2015
I've bought a number of these torches (all from Cheap4UK) and have been impressed with them. This particular one was the single-mode model which is either on or off but others have had a flashing mode and a low/high level light option. It is very well made for a budget torch with a good spread of bright light and a zoom focusing head in order to make the beam bigger or smaller as required. Battery life is very good thanks to the LED technology but although this is listed as a 7w Cree flashlight in practice I haven't found it any brighter than the 5w Cree models that I also own. Basically, don't buy it just because you think you'll gain with a 7w torch but do buy it if you want a really good LED torch without paying a fortune for it. I also own some of the very expensive torches and pound for pound this type beat them hands down even if they aren't quite as good in performance.

Braun SE830 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Premium Edition
Braun SE830 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Premium Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars A good set, 11 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As you'd expect from Braun this is a well made tool and it is obvious that attention has been paid to detail in the design. This particular model comes complete with a facial cleansing brush attachment, a beauty pouch and a lighted mirror to form a nice little package and although it might seem quite expensive it does look like it will last for a long time. The epilator itself is surprisingly effective and manages to remove even very short or fine hairs. It isn't as painless as shaving but the effect will last a lot longer and from experience it can even lead to less hair growth in that area in the future. The secret seems to be to hold the skin taut whilst removing the hairs and then apply something to soothe the skin afterwards. A moisturising cream will work although I find that an antiseptic cream with a mild anaesthetic effect is even better - something like Germolene. I like the fact that the epilator head is small enough to be quite accurate although it would make covering large areas quite time consuming.

The facial cleansing brush is something that I'm less sure about but for those who enjoy a beauty regime then theory suggests that using it might be time well spent. I've tried it on a few different skin areas but haven't found the results to be especially startling enough to make it a regular treatment. The lighted mirror is quite handy though and the pouch is always useful to keep the set together so I'm glad that was included in the pack.

TECEVO FX3 AptX Bluetooth V4.0 Stereo Earphones With Handsfree Wireless Sports Headset - NFC Enabled - Ideal for use with Apple iTouch, iPad 1 2 3 4 Air iPhone 3 4 4s 5 5s 6 6Plus , HTC, Samsung Galaxy, LG, Nokia etc (FX3 Black)
Offered by DigiDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Positive, 7 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love the flexibility of Bluetooth speakers and headphones but this is my first set designed to be worn when active at sports etc. They are made to stay in place whilst doing all sorts of activities but it surprised me to learn that they are also sweat-proof and in fact are so moisture-resistant they can be worn when swimming. I haven't tested that theory out but have given them some good usage whilst exercising and also doing things at home such as cleaning and DIY and have not encountered any problems with them.

The packaging looks quite plain (it's fairly boring cardboard - no glossy packaging here!) and I hadn't heard of the brand name before but overall my experience has been a positive one and once I'd found the best choice from the supplied earbuds I was enjoying great sound without having to worry about my headphones falling off or catching cables. They are quite strange-looking and at first I was not convinced that they would even fit well but my concerns proved to be needless. In fact I've been so positive about them with some friends that they have just ordered their own sets.

Linksys EA6350 Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router
Linksys EA6350 Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router
Offered by DavinaJayne

4.0 out of 5 stars A good upgrade, 5 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's worth noting that the Linksys EA6350 is designed for use with cable internet or with BT's fibre broadband and that it doesn't have an in-built modem. That's not unusual and in fact it's just like the majority of these devices which are primarily sold as an upgrade to the standard routers supplied as part of a high-speed broadband contract. When friends and relatives have complained about poor Wi-Fi or broadband I've suggested upgrading the router to many of them and every one has found it to be worthwhile. Simply searching on the internet or asking someone who has tried it will often illustrate the benefit of installing a router which has better performance, transfer speed or wireless range.

This one from Linksys doesn't pretend to be top of the range but is a very good one and offers the latest AC Wi-Fi standard which makes it compatible with modern mobile devices as well as being backwards compatible with older devices. It also offers compatibility with USB 3.0 devices and gigabit Ethernet connections which makes it fairly future-proof, at least for the next few years and Linksys is a brand which has decent reliability in my own experience. Setting the router up was relatively easy even though it included a firmware update - that's the operating software which makes it do what it should, and decent manufacturers issue them periodically to improve the performance of their products and also correct any problems which have been identified since the firmware was first produced.

It's not the prettiest device and can be bettered in performance by even more expensive routers, but for the price it does offer a decent specification and will do a decent job for all but the most demanding of users. For anyone looking at replacing their standard-supplied router then I can say that this one does a good job and that it offers a good balance between performance and cost.

NETGEAR AC785-100EUS AirCard AC785 Mobile Hotspot with super-fast 4G LTE
NETGEAR AC785-100EUS AirCard AC785 Mobile Hotspot with super-fast 4G LTE

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Around a year ago a friend of mine was staying in a hotel and complaining about the poor Wi-Fi that was available to him there. Someone suggested getting a box like this and that's the first time I'd heard of such devices, but they really can be useful especially for times like that. Basically, after inserting a sim card into the device it uses the mobile provider's data service to connect to the internet but cleverly produces its own Wi-Fi signal so that you can go online with any device you want, including those which wouldn't normally be able to make use of a mobile signal such as laptops and Wi-Fi-only tablets.

It's easily carried around thanks to its surprisingly small size and won't take up much space in a suitcase so travelling to places without Wi-Fi is no longer an issue so long as you can get a mobile data signal. It's not locked to any particular network meaning that you can just use any sim card you have available and the device will automatically use the fastest connection speed that it can - 2G, 3G or 4G. The Wi-Fi network that it produces is easy to use (the information needed to connect is displayed on the screen) and can handle up to 15 devices at once which is more than I'm ever likely to use. It's compatible with devices on 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and I was surprised to see that it is not compatible with the latest AC standard although in practice I've found that it is still fast enough for anything I've asked of it. The speed limitation is really down to the mobile networks rather than the Wi-Fi network. Battery life is impressive (Netgear claims up to 10 hours) and a wall-charger is also supplied in the box.

It certainly looks like a high quality gadget and that helps to explain the hefty price tag. The Netgear brand has always been one that has worked well for me and this mobile hotspot looks at least as good as anything else I've got from them. I've used it with a data-specific sim card but some mobile phone sim cards will also work in it depending on whether they are limited to prevent use with data-only devices. I'm very pleased with it and will be recommending it to my friend so that he doesn't get stuck without Wi-Fi the next time he uses that hotel.

LG BP325 3D Slim Smart Blu-ray Player - Black
LG BP325 3D Slim Smart Blu-ray Player - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not quite as good as I had expected, 22 Feb. 2015
This Blu-ray player was specifically chosen for use with my LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD television with the idea that having the same brand of product would maximise compatibility in use. I'd also seen that this particular model was highly regarded in various reviews and offered a good compromise between price and features. It did not come with an HDMI cable (very few things do unfortunately) but was simple to connect up when I obtained one. The compatibility I'd hoped for seems to be there although I have been a little disappointed to find that they don't work as well together as I had expected. For instance, I had to actually enable to Simplink feature on my TV to make it talk fully to the Blu-ray player rather than it being enabled by default, and even when fully functional I still cannot make the TV revert to normal broadcasts when I finish watching my film and turn of the player.

Those little gripes aside I can confirm that it does work well as a player of Blu-ray, DVD and CD discs and I am generally pleased with it. It does have a suite of `Smart' features installed which work very similarly to those already on my television set and it also has a USB connector placed very conveniently on the front of the machine where I can attach flash drives etc in order to view photographs and videos from my camera or computer. Start up times are reasonable but not as fast as the product description would suggest and the player is very quiet in operation with no annoyingly bright lights on show as a distraction.

TCP GU10 5 Watt LED Halogen Spotlight Replacement, Pack of 6, White
TCP GU10 5 Watt LED Halogen Spotlight Replacement, Pack of 6, White

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent substitute for a traditional 50w halogen bulb, 22 Feb. 2015
I originally had a single unit of this bulb and was so impressed that I have since bought some more in the form of this six pack. I'm pleased to be able to say that unlike some other LED bulbs that I have tried the description of `warm white' should actually apply to it, and despite being rated at 3000k (colour temperature) it is actually warmer in tone than expected and makes an excellent substitute for a traditional 50w halogen bulb. More often than not my experience has been that the light from LED bulbs is too clinical and white despite being described as warm but this one suits my purposes perfectly. I have them in recessed fittings in a bathroom and find that the light they provide compliments skin tones nicely whilst still offering plenty of light. The actual lamps have a white plastic body which is best suited with white lamp fixtures but does look ok with silver ones too.

Igenix PTC Ceramic Fan Heater, 1800 Watt, Silver
Igenix PTC Ceramic Fan Heater, 1800 Watt, Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern heating technology, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whilst it doesn't look very fancy or expensive this fan heater from Igenix does what it's supposed to do and uses modern ceramic heating technology to achieve it. The PTC (positive thermal coefficient) ceramic heating element is what makes this fan-heater a little bit different from many others although I'm unsure whether that means it's more efficient as a heater or simply more powerful for its physical size. It has a silver-coloured plastic body which incorporates a carry handle and grilles to the front and back for the air intake and outlet. The controls are fairly simple and are just two dials set on the top of the machine; on the left is the fan control which can be set for cool air and also the two heat output levels. The right-hand dial is a numbered thermostat which you can set to an appropriate level for the room temperature, and then when the heater detects that the room is at the temperature it switches off until the temperature has fallen again.

The fan speed is constant whatever setting you choose and whilst it's not noisy it can still be heard so probably wouldn't be suitable for use in a room whilst sleeping. The heat output is rated at a maximum of 1800w which makes it more suited to a small to medium sized room rather than anything bigger, but I like the fact that the heater itself is fairly compact and the carry-handle certainly makes handling it much simpler and safer. The power cord is around 1.5m/5ft and I've found it to be about the right length for most purposes.

Unlike our other (much older) fan heater I was pleased to see that this one has a safety cut out switch underneath which cuts the power to the heater if it is picked up or knocked over and another internal cut-out which stops the power in the event that the product overheats. It may not look very exciting but this is a perfectly functional fan heater which I've found to do its job very well, and there's also a two-year warranty included for additional peace of mind.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20