Profile for A Smile and a Wave > Reviews

L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Filler Renew Eye Cream 15ml
L'Oreal Paris Revitalift Filler Renew Eye Cream 15ml

3.0 out of 5 stars A one-eyed test, 12 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife and I have both been trying this product. Unfortunately, she had to give up after a few days as it was irritating her eyes but I didn’t suffer any ill-effects from it and continued to use it. In the interests of an accurate assessment I actually decided to apply it only under one of my eyes with the idea that any improvements in appearance would be easier to judge against an untested eye on the same face. I applied it both morning and night as the guide suggests and found that the built-in applicator worked very well. One side of it has the outlet from the tube so that a small amount is squeezed out and then applied to the skin. The reverse of the applicator head is then used to smooth it across the skin where it is absorbed fairly easily. The packaging and the process of using the product are both very good but unfortunately I couldn't detect any signs of a difference from using it. Perhaps it would work for some people but my skin did not feel or look any different despite my expectations so on the whole I can say that it didn't work for me. Mind you, all of that scrutiny of the skin under my eyes did highlight some wrinkles that I had been happily ignoring for some time, so I really wish that it had worked wonders.

Productivity For Dummies
Productivity For Dummies
by Ciara Conlon

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, 12 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must admit that when I first saw the title of this book I assumed that it was going to be another of those work-related programmes to increase workplace productivity. Luckily it’s not, but it is about personal productivity meaning that it is written to be a simple instructional guide on how to become more organised and use your time more effectively. I’m pleased to see that this particular Dummies guide has been written by an Irish lady author and so it avoids some of the Americanisms which have been criticised in some of their other books. She has done a decent job of explaining the subject and suggesting simple ways to improve the situation if you find yourself not getting things done as quickly as you’d like, or maybe not even being done at all. I particularly liked that there are sections related to technology, calendar management, students, and both workplace and home productivity. As with other Dummies guides it is designed to be read in any order you’d like; it can be read from cover to cover or (as I prefer) by dipping into chapters as they take my fancy, or as the need arises. I’ve been quite pleased with this particular book; instead of sitting there and putting off the task it has inspired me to get up and write this review. Now, onto my next task…

Philip's Navigator Trucker's Britain: Spiral
Philip's Navigator Trucker's Britain: Spiral

4.0 out of 5 stars A proper road atlas that's not just for truckers, 10 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think that it will always be difficult to produce a road atlas which allows plenty of detail in an easy to read format and covers the whole of the country, yet is still portable enough to fit in your car/van/lorry. Philip’s have done a very good job with this comprehensive book which is tailored towards those who drive professionally but which is just as useful to those of us who want more than the standard road atlas provides. One major advantage is the scale – at 1:100,000 it isn’t as detailed as Ordnance Survey leisure maps but it is twice the size of a standard spiral bound atlas such as this one AA Road Atlas Britain 2016. The scale equates to 1.5 miles per inch meaning that the maps are big enough to navigate properly by road. I like that the maps are clear and that they show plenty of information that’s useful to tourists too, and there are all of the useful features you’d expect including a very thorough place name index and 100 town plans. It is more expensive than the standard type of road atlas but having seen this one I can definitely say that I think it is worth paying extra for it.

AEG STM7500S 7-Series Titanium Coated Blades Stick Mixer with Accessories, 700W, Stainless Steel

4.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased with it, 2 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a number of ‘white goods’ from the AEG brand which I have been pleased with but this is the first hand-held product that I have tried from them. It seems to be well-made and looks very smart with a nice stainless steel finish. I find it to be quite a powerful tool, whichever attachment I am using; in some ways it is a little too powerful as I have made some mess and splashed myself with the food when not being careful enough, but having that said it is still fairly easy to use. I find it comfortable to hold, the components clean up quite well and most importantly it does give very good results. The supplied accessories are useful, and at around 6ft the power cord is long enough to move around without restriction, but not so long that it gets in the way. It isn’t the cheapest mixer on the market but then I suspect that the price reflects the fact that it is a decent stainless steel product from a major brand, and so far I have to say that I am very pleased with it.

TECHGEAR® Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen / 2015 Edition) GLASS Edition Genuine Tempered Glass Screen Protector Guard Cover (Moto G3)
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 2 Mar. 2016
I much prefer the tempered glass screen protectors such as this one and ordered this one for my new Moto G 3rd generation phone. I like that the pack comes well prepared with a cleaning wipe and reasonable instructions which meant that fitting it wasn't a problem. The design means that it does fit the phone quite well when properly lined up, and offers protection to a very high proportion of the screen whilst still having cut-outs for the sensors etc. The only snag that I found was that the edges of the screen protector seemed to lift a little in the days after it was fitted which means that it doesn't look invisible. With this type of screen protector I have noticed in the past that with a good one it can be hard to notice it when fitted unless you look for it, but with this one it is more obvious.

Faber-Castell 36-Colour Eco-Pencils
Faber-Castell 36-Colour Eco-Pencils

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 2 Mar. 2016
This pencil set is very good. I have used other packs from this range and have always found them to be very good - the colours are quite vibrant and the leads don't break easily. I like that this pack is a good size with 36 pencils in it and have been so pleased that I bought more of them, and also ordered them for relatives.

Baylis & Harding Fuzzy Duck Bath/Shower Gel 750 ml
Baylis & Harding Fuzzy Duck Bath/Shower Gel 750 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars In a lather, 2 Mar. 2016
I like the Fuzzy Duck range of products from Baylis & Harding but have been a little bit disappointed with this particular one. Although it smells nice and is generally pleasant to use it's notable that it doesn't lather as well as other showers gels I have used which effectively means that I use more of the product each time. Because of that I probably won't buy it again, but otherwise it is okay.

Aquarian Holiday Feeding Block, 28g
Aquarian Holiday Feeding Block, 28g

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 2 Mar. 2016
I have 25 litre tank which houses a couple of goldfish and bought one of these blocks for use whilst away on a holiday. I’d previously tried a different brand but that one hadn’t lasted for the fortnight so decided to try this one which is more expensive but seemed to fit the bill. It certainly lasted for long enough and it was still going after around 17 days but by then the water was quite cloudy so had to be changed and the remains of the block was thrown away. The fish had been happy with feeding from it which is obviously good, but it is a shame that the water became so cloudy from it. I’m happy to use these blocks again and have peace of mind in knowing that it will last long enough, but it would be better if it didn't dirty the water so much.

SLEO Motorola Moto G 3rd Generation 3rd Gen (G3) Case - Rubberized Hard PC Back Case Cover for Motorola Moto G 3rd Generation Case - Red
Offered by SLEO Accessories

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardly any protection for the top and bottom of the phone, 29 Feb. 2016
The Sleo case is slim and fits quite well to my Moto G 3rd Gen. I don’t feel that it adds too much to the size of the phone which is good, and I am quite pleased with the way that it looks. I was less impressed with the protection that it offers to the phone; it’s not very apparent from the photographs but the cover offers very little protection to the top and bottom edges. Although the sides are covered the ends are not, which is disappointing and I don’t have much faith in this product being able to protect from anything more than scratches – it doesn’t have the coverage or thickness to prevent damage in the event of a fall.

Karcher K4 Full Control Home Pressure Washer
Karcher K4 Full Control Home Pressure Washer

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good pressure washer, 19 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Karcher (like all of the other Karchers I’ve owned) is robustly made from tough external plastic parts with an extending metal handle. There is a small amount of assembly necessary from the box, but nothing difficult and the only tool that you’ll require is a Philips screwdriver. There are some good improvements to the 2016 model including the better stability and the LED display control handle although to be honest I’m not convinced that the latter is strictly necessary. Overall, this is a good set which includes most of the attachments you’re likely to need for home use. The only extra one that I would suggest for cleaning vehicles is this one Karcher 2.643-147.0 FJ6 Foam Jet Nozzle which I bought last year and like very much.

As with all powerful pressure washers you need to use some common sense when using it. For example, it is always sensible when cleaning a surface for the first time to use a lower pressure setting and build up if necessary to achieve the best results. Some surfaces won’t cope with sustained high-pressure water jets and through many years of using this kind of tool I have found that it pays to be cautious with them. Having said that, this model is suitable for cleaning all surfaces when used with the appropriate attachments, and in the right way. So far I’ve used it very successfully on two cars, a large sandstone patio including multiple steps, concrete slabbed areas, and even some block-paved driveway although that obviously required extra care to avoid damage.

I like that this version of the K4 stands up and is quite stable in use; even lots of movement including some pulling of the hose hasn’t made this machine fall over. It is a well-equipped set which includes attachments for cleaning all sorts of outdoor surfaces including vehicles. The Vario and Dirtblaster lances are both very good in their own way; the Dirtblaster lives up to its name and produces a rotating jet of water which effectively does what you would do naturally and moves over and around the surface in small areas to loosen dirt. The Vario lance is a more general lance which is used for all other purposes and produces a range of jets from the strongest and most concentrated down to a pressurised mist which is great for wetting surfaces to loosen dirt before washing. It also includes the T350 patio cleaner which is an excellent attachment that I recommend highly (it’s also available separately Karcher T 350 Wide Area Surface Cleaner if you don’t need the full set). It is perfect for cleaning patios and other hard surface paved areas as it has the advantage of delivering rotating jets of water inside an enclosed area which helps to reduce spray and mess. I first bought an earlier version of this many years ago and can confirm that although this new version is just as effective at cleaning it is also less messy.

There are many versions of the Karcher pressure washers available. The K4 model sits in the middle of the home-use section and is suitable for those who need to achieve decent results on various surfaces, but without spending a fortune. This particular set is particularly aimed at users who want to do most of their pressure-washing on surfaces outside the home, and does a very good job of delivering great results.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20