Profile for Zomby Woof > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
And Then There Were Three
And Then There Were Three
Price: 9.64

4.0 out of 5 stars It came as some surprise to me that I actually liked this album, 18 Aug 2014
As I was one of those who lamented the departure of Peter Gabriel from Genesis and declared that they would never be the same without him, it came as some surprise to me that I actually liked this album. Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering were acceptable albums but when Steve Hackett departed I really thought that it was all over. However, for me this album was the last substantial effort before the charts became their new domain, and the following album should have been called 'And Then They Were S***'

Selling England By The Pound
Selling England By The Pound
Price: 9.63

4.0 out of 5 stars I know what I like and its not The Prattle of Epping Forest!, 11 Mar 2014
Sorry for the negative headline as this is a great album overall,but 'I Know What I Like' has to be the worst single ever from a prog rock band, and 'The Battle of Epping Forest' just irritates me beyond belief. Sure, its very clever and original but to me its unlistenable. Other than that, I agree that this probably was the peak of the Peter Gabriel period of Genesis, with the songwriting and arrangements displaying a new maturity. 'Dancing With the Moonlight Knight' and 'Firth of Fifth' and 'Cinema Show' are all lengthy and majestic pieces of music, with various changes in tempo and mood. Steve Hacketts' wonderful guitar work and Tony Banks' piano and organ take the band to a new dimension after the previous two albums 'Nursery Cryme' and 'Foxtrot', which were nonetheless both masterpieces in their own right.

Trespass (2008 Digital Remaster)
Trespass (2008 Digital Remaster)
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars The real Genesis?, 28 Feb 2014
This album firstly shows how the band very quickly matured after their awful and dated first offering 'From Genesis to Revelation'. Apart from 'White Mountain', which narrates the story of a wolf-pack, there is none of the story-telling of subsequent albums,as this is just pure music and descriptive lyrics. 'Looking for Someone' opens the album, a song that changes in tempo several times, with a slightly dulled yet driving drum sound, together with intricate organ, flute and guitar interplay and Peter Gabriels' voice at its distinctive best, 'Visions of Angels' is a sweeping, grandiouse organ and piano dominated piece, an almost 'pure' Genesis song. 'Stagnation' is a little disjointed in parts. but provides a contrast to the rest of the album. The shortest tracks on prog-rock albums are often just filler material and can be overlooked but 'Dusk' is a very beautiful and moving song,a little momet of reflection before the mighty 'The Knife', with its overtones of medieval war and battles, concludes a very fine collection of songs and music which I think (and I can almost hear many Genesis fans scoffing at the suggestion) may be their best effort. Sure its not as clever as most Gabriel-led Genesis albums, or as accessable as the material from the Phil Collins era, but for me, musically, it makes for the most pleasant listening.

Come Again
Come Again
Price: 8.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Tristan and Isolde revisited., 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Come Again (Audio CD)
This intellectual masterpiece by Cook and Moore cuts a swathe through the vast plethora of comedic offerings which can only aspire to be a fraction as humorous as this cleverley conceived foray through the magical world of Joan Crawfords' frontal derriere and the juxtaposition of public toilet characters Derek and Clive in a cubicle situation.
An equally masterful performance as two quintessentially ''Laaahndun'' mini cab drivers sees the interplay of anecdotal snippets of liasons with Bertrand Russell and Lord Bradwell cast an almost unprecedented insight into how the lives of the aristocratic and learned collide with the terminally fetid lives of those who are but one rung of the social ladder above those who weild a toilet brush.
'Hav in gawank' explores the joys and sorrows of life as we hear Derek firstly expressing the pleasure of having his membership in a lubricated toilet roll inner which was electrically connected to a train set causing sexual pleasure to ensue,which shows clearly the transition between childhood and youth. This later takes a downward plunge into disease and death. ''I've got cancer of the mortgage, cancer of the season ticket..........'', laments Clive. Priceless.
There are moments of musical joy too, as Derek sings an ode to his mother that brings a tear of bittersweet Oediposal climax to the eye in much the same way as Puccinis' operas. A truly uplifting and spiritually ascending selection of lifes finer moments pours into ones soul with all the force of high - level cistern. Magnifique!

Baron Von Tollbooth & The Chrome Nun
Baron Von Tollbooth & The Chrome Nun
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music shame about the mix., 5 Dec 2013
This is an excellent album from some of the JA gang with the title being David Crosbys' nicknames for Paul Kantner and Grace Slick.The music is great and there isn't a single duff track but the mix is a little subdued and distant. This works well enough on some tracks such as the dark and moody 'White Boy', with Grace Slicks' mournful wailings weaving through the background and the soulful and emotive 'Harp Tree Lament' but it is at the expense of the vocals--I have a very good hi-fi system but whether listening to speakers or headphones it is hard to follow the lyrics with only odd phrases and lines coming through. Oh well, I will just have to refer to the lyric sheet I suppose! It also feels like we don't hear the full benefit of the slightly out-of-sync harmonies of the simultaneous male and female vocals that were a Jefferson Airplane trademark. I think that some of the more upbeat songs such as 'Flowers of the Night' and 'Walkin' would benefit from a more forward presentation as would Graces' aggressive vocal on 'Across the Board'. Fantastic stuff though, and much better than some JA albums.

Force Majeure
Force Majeure
Price: 7.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Its whatever you want it to be, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Force Majeure (Audio CD)
Lay back and let your mind wander into the deepest recesses of your conciousness and the music will conjure up images of whatever is in there. A wonderful album by Edgar and the boys now using drums and guitar to augment the usual synthesiser sounds. Fantastic!

Audiolab 8200CD CD Player (Black)
Audiolab 8200CD CD Player (Black)
Offered by Hi Fi Confidential Ltd
Price: 799.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Audiolab --audio heaven!, 12 Jun 2013
I recently purchased this wonderful player totally on spec--all the hi-fi magazines raved about it so I trusted their word and the recommendations of a few salesmen in hi-fi shops. Of course I had to audition one but it was hooked up to a top notch amp and speakers in an acoustically designed room so it was bound to sound impressive. What would it sound like connected to my current gear--( Marantz KI Signature amp and Mordaunt Short MS20i speakers.) I decided it was worth taking a chance so I took the plunge with fingers crossed. Naturally I then suffered a case of the last minute upgrade jitters--is it going to be that much better to justify the cost? My previous CD player was a Sony XB 920E which I have always rated as a pretty bloody nifty sounding piece of equipment but the Audiolab very quickly exceeded all my expectations. Within a minute of playing a carefully chosen album I was totally convinced that I had spent my money well. Everything is greatly improved--vocals are so much more subtle, lots more detail comes through,the soundstage has better seperation, and overall the sound manages to be punchier as well as smoother. The close miked vocals on The Cranberries' ''No Need To Argue'' and Pink Floyds' ''The Final Cut'' are nothing short of spooky. The attack of the drums on ''Led Zeppelin IV'' pins you to your seat, and complex music such as Yes' ''Close To The Edge'' is much more well-defined, making my previous player sound messy and uninvolved. This fantastic piece of musical equipment has made me realise even more that so much goes into the making of a record, yet the vast majority of us do not own the hardware to fully reproduce ALL of the music. And as many hi-fi experts often state when reviewing a piece of equipment, its about far more than just clarity and accuracy, its more to do with the equipment allowing the emotion in a piece of music to come through. Of course the Audiolab now outranks the amp and speakers but at least I know I am getting the best out of them until the next upgrade. Gotta go now, I have only had this machine a week and still have many of my old favourites to get through!

Stella Street: The Complete First Series [DVD]
Stella Street: The Complete First Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Sessions
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 'ere Keef, what you done wiv all them tins of cling peaches?, 14 May 2013
Loved this show when in first appeared on TV for several consecutive nights over the 1997 Christmas period in 10-15 minute bites. A totally original idea of rock and movie stars all moving into a middle class suburban street in Surbiton, all portrayed by the brilliant John Sessions and Phil Cornwell, an unusual pairing of comedians who came from totally different backgrounds. I have heard people criticise this, saying that some of the impersonations are poor, but they just don't get it--Sessions and Cornwell were not trying to do impersonations in an accurate Alistair McGowan or John Culshaw way, they were merely creating imaginative caricatures. Mick Jagger, for instance has studied economics so he is portrayed as a retired rock star cum shopkeeper, who is dragged down by his still druggy associate Keith Richards who 'knows nothing about the retail trade' as Mick laments. We also get Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, David Bowie, Joe Pesci (my favourite),Roger Moore, Jimmy Hill,and Dirk Bogarde, with Michael Caine introducing and narrating. Several more characters were added in later series, but series 2 & 3 and the subsequent Stella Street Movie were never quite as good as the first series in my opinion.

Caravanserai
Caravanserai
Price: 4.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual Carlos, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Caravanserai (Audio CD)
This was Santana's first album after his conversion to Buddhism, and this is evident in the music, particlarly on 'Waves Within' and 'All the Love of the Universe'. The Latin rhythms are still there, but subtley interwoven into the music rather than having the usual carnival feel of some earlier and later albums. Not a generally well-received piece of work by all accounts, although the reviews on here are mostly positive. This is a great album which some people may need to hear a few times to fully appreciate, but I loved it the first time I heard it which was way back before I was even a real Santana fan. Listen to it late at night when you are in a mellow mood and it may just hit the spot for you.

Third Ear Band
Third Ear Band
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 28.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Elementary my dear listener, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Third Ear Band (Audio CD)
Lay back and be transported into a pre-medieval pagan time when man was at the mercy of the elements, and the natural world seemed full of the spirits of the air, earth , fire and water. And so the four tracks are named, each one beautifully describing its title. The mystery and feel of this album created by just a violin, cello and drums. Fantastic.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5