Profile for Ainetheon > Reviews

Content by Ainetheon

Ainetheon

Page: 1 | 2
A LITTLE BOOK OF SPIRITUAL BALLOONS (A LITTLE BOOK OF SPIRITUAL..... 2)
A LITTLE BOOK OF SPIRITUAL BALLOONS (A LITTLE BOOK OF SPIRITUAL..... 2)
Price: 2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasingly inspirational., 1 Jan 2014
Another "Little Book of..." - or is it? Yes, it fits within the title given to it but I found a little bit more in it. Perhaps it was the sense of connection through lineage (author and reader being both Scottish) or perhaps it was more a recognition of a similar Path. Who knows and what does it matter.

What does matter is that this little book inspires the reader to think outside the routine. There are one or two gems to contemplate on. "One Day At A Time" and "Ambitions" (loc 196 and loc 205) are the two that make me think beyond the here and now. Some of the other works slip by my perception of completeness and/or quality but that is not to say that there are no merits in the author's construction.

Like a lot of kindle books I have purchased there are a few grammatical mistakes and the odd wrong spelling, but the overall layout of the book is good. For instance, Jones has included a foreword written by a third party. Always a good promotional tool in my opinion. In addition there is a proper introduction from the author, a dedication of more than a few unknown (to the reader) names, acknowledgements, contents and an easy to read flow to the overall book. I also like the fact that there is an 'About the author' page, although a link to his web page would have made this more efficient and effective.

Would I recommend this book? Yes - but do not expect it to do more than kindle (no pun intended) an interest in the Greater than Mankind. Rating? Well initially I gave it three based on my own perspective but really it deserves a little higher because it does seem to be written from the soul. Thank you Trevor Jones for sharing.

The Little Book of Yin: Cultivating More Stillness, Gentleness and Healing into Our Daily Lives
Price: 1.96

4.0 out of 5 stars A little spark of inspiration and encouragement, 1 Jan 2014
This book fulfils its purpose as stated by the author in the opening introduction "...to encourage and support the process of bringing more stillness, gentleness, and healing into our daily lives." (loc 19). I found it motivational in bringing to me, as a reader, a way of developing an understanding and a method of achieving the stillness that oft times eludes me.

I would have liked to have had more content and references to further reading / resources within the book; but then, as the title states, it is a `little' book of Yin. Being `little' will bring it to the attention of those readers, myself included, who want a stimulating springboard to launch from. It has encouraged me to try a daily practice of stillness, once more proving it has achieved what it set out to do.

Like some kindle publications, this book has its nuances and irritations. Grammar and spelling mistakes are present in this book but not so great as to distract from the enjoyment of the content. The one irritation I did have however was the occasional extra large typeface at the start of a section. I like headings but not the jump out and shout sort. This is not meant to be a criticism of the author or of his work but is perhaps more of a personal preference and a desire to read electronically as one would with a paper format.

On the whole this is a good little motivational book that I would recommend to anyone wishing to learn more about the subject of Yin before spring-boarding into the greater depths of the subject. Initially I had given three stars to this little spark of encouragement. On reflection I think it is worth four stars. It serves its (stated) purpose and is written in an easy to read manner. In addition I think there is also scope for this little book to be published as one of those fit-in-the-pocket inspirational publications.

Finally, I've also checked out Michael Hetherington's website - and that too is worth a visit.

How To Contact Your Spirit Guide - Unlock The Guidance You Have Been Searching For
Price: 2.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginner's / referesher's book, 24 Sep 2012
It was the title that attracted me to this little book. Often 'How-To' books can be a bit adrift from the title but not this one - there was no disappointment awaiting me. Holder managed to keep the subject matter relevant and focused on what he promised in the title. He makes no assumptions about the belief system of the reader and manages to fit it nicely, and logically, within the realms of religion too. Considering this is a very short book, being able to manage a successful connection (no pun intended) between spiritual and religious followings is no mean feat. I read it in just over an hour - yes, I do speed read but I annotate and bookmark for further reading etc.

This is five star content but feel I must give a four star rating for the fact that there is no bibliography. Beginners who are serious about embarking on gaining knowledge and understanding in this field need to know where they can find further information. Having said that, Holder does refer to others (psychics / clairvoyants) within the text so in some ways he authenicates his claims. There were also a couple of minor grammatical errors but I have come to expect that from Kindle books (but still worth mentioning).

On the whole I can confidently recommend this as a good read and first step towards developing this line of interest. I have not read anything else written by Nicholas Holder but am encouraged to seek out other writings he may have published.

PS: on reflection, I think that the quality of of his work merits five stars and that I am being a little too critical on the lack of references. I have changed it to five stars - it really is worth buying this little book.

Meditation Motivation - A Quick Tour of Buddhism and 20 Easy Tips to Create a Daily Practice
Price: 0.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starter book!, 23 Sep 2012
A well written text any beginner can follow with ease. The presentation is both logical and nicely set out with easy to find headings. There is a non-judgemental gentleness that comes through this author's work. Randall encourages the reader to find and follow a Path that feels right for them and not some pre-scripted route to salvation. I found this book to be both motivational and enlightening. For me, it was the underpinning of what I learnt the day before at my very first mediation class at a Buddhist Centre. The only criticism I have, and this may be my Kindle rather than an issue with the e-book, is that the bookmark and the highlights I made were not recognised or accessible using the 'view notes and marks' even although they appear to be there when quickly flicking through the pages. One of the highlights I made, for the purpose of going back to understand more, was in relation to the 'Four Noble Truths' and the Noble Eightfold Path'. On the whole, a very interesting book I can recommend to any budding Buddhist or for those who just want to know more.

Getting Rid of It: The Step-by-step Guide for Eliminating the Clutter in Your Life
Price: 3.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and motivational book, 23 Sep 2012
What a lovely surprise this book has turned out to be. I was expecting an average motivational blurb on how-to-do. I know how to clear up and clean up; but I wasn't getting it done. For months I had promised myself that I would get around to de-cluttering my home; but I wasn't getting it done. I tried making lists with timescales; but I wasn't getting it done. So I picked up this little kindle book. Maybe this will help get it done. It's working - I've started the de-cluttering.

This book lends itself well to the hare who needs to race ahead, the person who needs to read through all the suggestions and exercises in one sitting. I read this in an afternoon and made notes on how I could apply the written word to my cluttered life. I am now quite happy to take the tortoise route and do a thorough job in manageable chunks as recommended by the authors.

The book reads a bit like the news broadcasts. In the introducation we are told what we are going to be told. Then the following ten chapters are laid out in easy to follow logical sections. I could picture myself doing things the authors' way. The last part tells you what has just been said, the summing up of the news or the how-to-do the de-cluttering. The one gripe that I do have, and it is not that big a moan really, is the fact that in the final section, Additional Resources, the authors plug at great length their DreamSaveDo book. But the plug was not uncomfortable.

In fact I did go to their website to check out what the cost of these additional resources were retailing at. The cynic in me thought ' ha! this book is the sprat to catch the mackeral' I think the cynic in me got it wrong. The website is worth checking out if more hands-on support is needed. This book I have just read is worth recommending to others who have clutter in their lives that is unmanageable. I will use this book as I de-clutter. I have no hesitation in recommending this useful little book.

The Quinoa Cookbook
The Quinoa Cookbook
Price: 1.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book - but could have been better presented, 23 Sep 2012
Quinoa is something new to me. I had only just come across it recently and so, for me, getting a cook book on the product was something I was willing to spend out on. Imagine my excitement when I managed to download an e-book for free as an introduction! Never one to turn down a bargain, I gladly took up the offer; however I would have been a little disappointed if I had to pay for it. My disappointment comes from the format of the book and not so much from the recipes or other content. I found that the electronic version was not very well constructed. There are paperback and hardback versions available from Amazon.co.uk which may prove to be a better option. The less than satisfactory aspects of the book are the inconsistent and frequent blank pages between chapters and recipes. I found it to be distracting and irritating to have to keep touching the forward button more than once to 'turn' or move onto the next page.

Nevertheless, I am not disappointed with the written content of this book. The introduction about quinoa covering the origins and uses was interesting. The last section of the book is given to Articles, and there are several of them, which cover what I assume to be the frequently asked questions. These articles are informative and are a worthy read on their own. There is also a link to the author's webpage which really is more useful than this version of his book.

The middle section, and the largest part, of the book is given over to the recipes themselves. Although I have not attempted as yet any of the recipes, I am impressed with the scope and far ranging qualities of quinoa. The author has taken time to put together a wide variety of dishes for almost all occasions. Most of the recipes can be tackled by those who have limited time and or cooking skills. Some of the recipes are more involved, and of course these are the ones I am drawn to. But practice makes perfect so I will start with the simpler ones. Being a foster carer means that I often have a young person eager to experiment in the kitchen and there are recipes in this book that will lend themselves well to just that.

Overall, this is a cookery book with a little bit of a difference. I'm not sure how often I will use the e-book version as I am a little bit messy in the kitchen and the fact that there are all these blank pages to contend with. For these reasons I am going to give the book three stars. If I were to rate purely on the content then I would probably go for four stars. However it may be worthwhile to check out the print versions of the book. The print versions may have more going for them. They might even include some nice pictures to look at whilst preparing and cooking.

I first wrote this review (elsewhere) in January 2012 and it is possible that the glitches I speak about in the e-book have been resolved - check it out first or buy the paper version.

Wolf at Twilight: An Indian Elder's Journey Through a Land of Ghosts and Shadows
by Kent Nerburn
Price: 9.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story - good writing, 23 Sep 2012
Although this book is a sequel to Neither Wolf Nor Dog: On Forgotten Roads with an Indian Elder, it reads well as a standalone novel. As a fictionalised account of real events it is successful in moving the story along at a good pace, possibly because it is written in the first person. Nerburn, however, seems to take centre stage and it is as much his story in getting the tale told as it is Dan's. There are gaps where things are left unsaid; questions raised that hang loosely throughout the story. I find Nerburn's style a little on the conceited side, almost touching arrogance under the cover of empathy.

Having said that, if one regards the book as entirely fiction then it is a damned good read. There is a lot of energy in this book and a lot of emotional tugging at the reader. All of this works well and to the advantage of painting the bigger picture around the aim of the new objective and journey. The main task for Nerburn this time is to bring closure to an event that has haunted this old Indian, Dan, since he was a child. The tension builds up towards the end of the story as one is kept in suspense about whether or not Dan will die before he finds what he is looking for. There is a touching end to a long and painful journey and one almost breathes a sigh of relief when old ghosts are laid to rest for Dan.

As I was reading, I unfortunately let the knowledge of it being based on true facts seep through and was left thinking that Nerburn has perhaps traded in authenticity for profile. However, read it as a work of fiction and you will not be disappointed. Nerburn is a first class narrator (I have purchased and read three of his books).

Robinson Crusoe
Robinson Crusoe
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic worth reading!, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Robinson Crusoe (Kindle Edition)
A childhood favourite revisited many years later. I was not disappointed but I will confess that I had forgotten all about how far writing styles have changed over the last few centuries. In the modern novel one can skim through but with Defoe's writing one has to read every word. The long sentences (properly punctuated of course) make it heavy going but I think that adds to the flavour of the story. Reading this book felt a little bit like tying shoelaces after one has been used to quick and easy velcro. I managed to get into the 'voice' of the book early and easily. Defoe did not disappoint me as a child and he is just as good a storyteller now that I am well into middle age.

Defoe makes good use of descriptive language to paint his picture for the reader. He does tend to overdress his descriptions at times but this did not detract from my enjoyment. For me, there seemed to be two aspects of this story. One being the adventure tale of high seas and desert island survival and the other being an author's possible exploration of his own spiritual reflections.

The book describes the irresistible urges of a young man to find his own way in life against the advice of his parents only to end up stranded on a desert island. The long time alone on this island promotes spiritual growth as well developing self-survival skills. Through trial and error Robinson Crusoe manages to provide enough to cover his basic needs of food, shelter, and clothing. Just as the reader begins to suspect that Crusoe is doomed never to see a fellow human being, along come some man-eating savages. Initially there is only the hint of human life; then Defoe takes the reader through the internal strife and anxiety Crusoe suffers during the lengthy interim period of suspicion and actual sighting. There are other sightings and engagements, each episode with yet more obstacles to be overcome. The tension builds up and the adventures get more frequent and dangerous. All of this adding to the excitement and anticipation of what is going to happen next.

By today's standards, the reader may find it labour intensive reading. However, it is a good read and well worth the effort. I'd recommend this as a classic for those who love adventure and storylines where the human spirit overcomes adversity. In addition, for those who wish to pursue the life of Robinson Crusoe, then the sequel may be of interest.

Lost Soul Healing - House Cleansing of  Earthbound Spirits For Beginners
Lost Soul Healing - House Cleansing of Earthbound Spirits For Beginners

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 23 Sep 2012
A short article that lacks in clarity and direction. It is an article that is directed towards a beginner's understanding and as such is written in basic language. Where the book fails in my opinion are the numerous occasions where the author does not back up her claims using her research materials; even although she has provided a bibliography. My impression is that Harrington has rushed her subject matter and could have benefited from taking more time and effort over some very interesting points and theories. What I found interesting was her mini-biography at the end which authenticated some claims made earlier. I am also sceptical of those who claim 100% success rates (as per the product description) - far better to claim a majority success and disclose authentication methods. On the whole, this is not an article I would recommend in its current presentation. I feel it needs to be expanded upon and made more coherent.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2013 2:31 AM BST

GELERT HURRICANE 3 240V/12V ELECTRIC AIRBED PUMP CAMP
GELERT HURRICANE 3 240V/12V ELECTRIC AIRBED PUMP CAMP
Offered by UKHobbyStore
Price: 11.33

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good ...., 20 July 2012
The GELERT HURRICANE 3 240V/12V ELECTRIC AIRBED PUMP CAMP arrived this morning - prompt and well packaged. This is the first airbed pump I have bought and I have tested it out. It works very well on the 240v electric but I have not tried the 12v connector yet. It pumped up the airbed in no time at all. Not tried the deflator adaptor yet so may come back to add my comments after it has been tried and tested on the camping trip. I am giving it 5 stars at this point as it does all I want it to do at this time. If I find any quirks that makes me less satisfied then I will come back and share.

Page: 1 | 2