Profile for Modern Primate > Reviews

Content by Modern Primate

Modern Primate

Page: 1 | 2
Oral-B Statin Tape Dental Floss 25m (6 Units)
Oral-B Statin Tape Dental Floss 25m (6 Units)
Offered by Greens Pharmacy
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I ever leave you., 9 Jun 2014
I gave this up for floss a few years ago thinking floss was probably better even if more painful.

This is not only vastly more comfortable to use but it visibly seems to cause less upheaval to floss. Floss is like sticking sharp knives all around your gums to clean it. Dental tape also has more surface area and I've read this allows it to pick up more. Floss tends to get inside my gums.

I'm no dental expert and I don't have data to back it up but my feeling is that this is vastly better for your teeth than floss.

How To Kill Cancer Cells
How To Kill Cancer Cells
Price: 1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrible, terrible book., 19 April 2014
I'm about 20% through this book so far, and it really is horrendous.

The author repeats the same points again and again, sometimes she'll even repeat the same sentence with different words. We get it, you believe an alkaline diet is the way to go.

She claims that since tomatoes and oranges are very acidic, they make your body a more acidic place. This is complete nonsense, after these foods are broken down they make the body more alkaline. I really don't know what she's doing writing a book about this when she obviously hasn't the slightest grasp of any of it.

She just throws in that you shouldn't eat garlic every day because it's "quite dangerous", with no explanation or rationale whatsoever for saying that but it's supposedly an example of how "moderation" is a good thing. .

It's stupid and wrong. She obviously mustn't have heard that WHO advocates taking garlic once a day to prevent cancer.

There's lots of filler figures and stuff in an already small book. It's so terrible that I really can't believe anyone wrote such a book and is actually charging for it, I'm going to try to get my money back.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2014 2:15 PM BST

KTC Unrefined Palm Oil 500ml
KTC Unrefined Palm Oil 500ml
Offered by afrocosmetics4u
Price: 2.31

1.0 out of 5 stars Palm Oil without any indications as to source: disgusting, unethical, murderous., 15 Mar 2014
I can find no evidence this "Palm Oil" comes from a sustainable source. If you buy this and it's not obtained sustainably, you are literally killing orangutans and irreversibly wreaking havoc on natural habitats.

Here is a piece quoted from elsewhere: "The palm oil industry is guilty of the most heinous ecological atrocities imaginable, including the systematic genocide of orangutans.

The forests of Borneo and Sumatra are the only place where these gentle, intelligent creatures live, and the cultivation of palm oil has directly led to the brutal deaths of thousands of individuals as the industry has expanded into previously undisturbed areas of rainforest.

When the forest is cleared, adult orangutans are typically shot on sight. These peaceful, sentient beings are beaten, burned, mutilated, tortured and often eaten. Babies are torn off their dying mothers so they can be sold on the black market as illegal pets to wealthy families who see them as status symbols of their own power and prestige. I'm not writing this to shock anyone. It has been documented time and again."

Please source palm oil sustainably or don't get it at all. I can't believe Amazon would stock this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2014 12:53 PM GMT

Procter Pest-Stop Little Nipper Mouse Trap Boxed (x2)
Procter Pest-Stop Little Nipper Mouse Trap Boxed (x2)
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and surest way of catching mice., 23 Jan 2014
Excellent traps. The only ones I want to ever use.

Other ones have springs that are so bad or baits that never get pushed down fully by the mice we have.

These traps HAVE to be SENSITIVE AND SPRINGY or mice will simply walk over them.

USE YOUR HEADS PEOPLE.

HP Deskjet 2510 All-In-One Printer
HP Deskjet 2510 All-In-One Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!!!! Hardly worth getting out of the packaging for the time you'll have it., 19 Dec 2013
This printer is truly hopeless. It will work for about the amount of time it takes to get it out of the packaging.

I bought a new cheap HP all-in-one scanner a while ago (not this one) and for some reason, it just broke down after a few weeks/months of very light use. It wouldn't work anymore no matter what I tried to do. I spent ages trying to get it to work, reading their troubleshooting documents etc. It was a physical problem, some roller just wouldn't work properly. I turned it upside down, tried cleaning it, I just did everything.

So I thought, a new HP2510 is only 40 euro, may as well just get that instead of wasting time with one that for some reason wouldn't work. I tried to assume that was some kind of unusually defective one. I even considered buying a spare one just in case the new one also broke down way into the future. I ensured to treat the new one with extra care.

So I got this one, treated super carefully, and it worked a few times. I didn't use it for about a week, and NOW THIS ONE WON'T ****ING WORK EITHER!!! It's RIDICULOUS. I really did NOTHING to it, it received NO falls or things hitting off it or anything like that. I tried everything and again, the damn thing just won't work, it makes a loud metal noise whenever it tries to print something and that's it. It's very frustrating if you have to print important documents, and printers are notorious for breaking down, but this is just some kind of intentional joke. NEITHER OF THESE PRINTERS I BOUGHT EVEN WENT THROUGH ONE CARTRIDGE OF INK.

I note another review says it'll likely last only about six months. Six months? You'll be lucky if this junk lasts TWO DAMN WEEKS.

Now I have 3 HP all-in-one printers, all JUNK. In fairness the first one lasted a while but then that was a bit more expensive. I couldn't believe it when this one stopped working as well. Broken for NO REASON. You have got to be kidding me.

Update: My god, it's actually working again. I have no clue why it's randomly working now, I tried it a few more times. I switched power cords also. One time it spat out a blank page and the next it worked again. If it continues working with no trouble for a long while, I will upgrade to 2 given the price and say do not rely on it. It's definitely worth it however to buy a more expensive. reliable printer, don't say you didn't listen to me the day it randomly stops working. For now I'm scared to look at it in case it breaks down.

AloeDent Triple Action 100 ml Aloe Vera Fluoride-Free Toothpaste - Pack of 3
AloeDent Triple Action 100 ml Aloe Vera Fluoride-Free Toothpaste - Pack of 3
Offered by Beauty Store Uk
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My gums are bleeding like crazy after switching to a conventional brand., 12 Nov 2013
When I ran out of this toothpaste, I switched to a conventional brand... big mistake!!! After flossing now for the second time in three days, my gums are filled with blood.

When I flossed two nights ago and massive amounts of blood poured out and painful gums, I thought "ok I didn't floss in a while, may not be the toothpaste"... however tonight the exact same thing happened even though I had just flossed two nights ago. I've never experienced something like this on aloe vera toothpaste. Whatever about whether or not this scientifically proves aloe vera is superior, you can be sure it's definitely not INFERIOR, and added to that you're getting a much healthier and natural brush.

100 Simple Things You Can Do To Prevent Alzheimer's: and Age-Related Memory Loss
by Jean Carper
Price: 7.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff., 27 July 2013
This book hits the major points of research about alzheimers, gives good comments on them and provides an excellent basis for anyone wanting to look after their brain (not just to prevent against alzheimers). I like the way it's laid out, each idea is given a few pages to explain the evidence for it. It's all based on real evidence-based science and only states relevant information that is of interest, it doesn't go off on wild tangents about things they've found under the microscope. It will also tell you if the evidence for one idea is in fact weak, it's objective and precise. Sometimes however there's a lack of rigor such as a failure to differentiate between causation and correlation. For example the author talks about a study that shows a correlation between social activity and brain activity and concludes that you should push yourself to be more sociable. Sometimes the evidence is quite flimsy.

August MB300 - Portable MP3 Stereo System and FM Alarm Clock Radio with Card Reader, USB & AUX In (3.5mm Audio In), 6W Powerful Hi-Fi Speakers and Built-in Rechargeable Battery
Offered by Daffodil UK
Price: 26.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Jun 2013
This is one of the best purchases I've ever made. This product is a pleasure to use, works perfectly, I love it. Don't listen to the naysayers: this has been working perfectly for weeks for me and I can't hold it back any longer. The battery lasts a LONG TIME without being plugged in. The alarm is perfect. The sound is excellent... for this price the speakers alone are almost worth it. They even include a cheap remote in the packaging! (unnecessarily but I'm not complaining!). I really cannot understand how such a thing can be made so cheaply.

One complaint I do have is that you cannot go backward or forward on the mp3, which can be annoying for long non-music tracks. Also the clock can be very difficult to view at some fairly typical angles... however this is a minor point and doesn't make much difference. Apart from that, this product is perfect. I also REALLY love the design, it's really beautiful, the best-looking product I have ever had. I'm thinking of getting another one so I can have one as backup in case they stop making them for some reason. Before this I bought a Sharp clock radio that is ugly, horrible and rubbish in many ways, fit only for the dustbin.

Logitech LS11 2.0 Stereo Speaker System - Black/Silver
Logitech LS11 2.0 Stereo Speaker System - Black/Silver

2.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous., 6 Dec 2012
I got Trust Mila 2.0 speakers first for about half the price of these. Those sounded really good, however they had a significant constant noise when they were switched on that I didn't like. I thought I would pay twice as much for these ones which as someone else said are noise free when not being used.

Wow, the sound quality in these things is shocking. I'm not sure if I've ever heard sound quality this bad (apart from the laptop integrated speakers themselves), maybe from an old radio that's been dropped a few times.

Even most standard tv-quality audio speakers are centuries ahead of these things. The difference between these and tv speakers is bigger than the difference between tv speakers and real sound. I'm definitely no audiophile, I can hardly tell the difference between 128k and 192k audio. But these things are so muffled.

My advice is to just start getting speakers at a MINIMUM of 25/E30+. I know it's a pain to shell out for such things that are built into every tv, but it's the only way you're going to get even decent audio quality.

Seagate Expansions 500GB External Desktop USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Seagate Expansions 500GB External Desktop USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Survived numerous knocks and an entire printer/scanner falling straight down on it., 5 Nov 2012
I don't know what some of the other guys are talking about. This drive works perfectly for me after almost three years, many knocks and harsh falls and once an entire HP all-in-one printer/scanner falling on it from table-top height to the floor - I thought it had no chance of surviving that. And yet still works perfectly, it's brilliant. It's like it's invincible or something. I don't know what short of a sledgehammer could destroy it.

The only thing I hope is that it does warn me before it eventually packs it in. The Seagate software is telling me the drive is perfectly fine for now and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Page: 1 | 2