Profile for Daniela. G. > Reviews

Content by Daniela. G.

Daniela. G. "Dierregi" (Genova, Italy)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
To Die For: Is Fashion Wearing Out the World?
To Die For: Is Fashion Wearing Out the World?
by Lucy Siegle

5.0 out of 5 stars Ethical crimes committed in the name of profit, 4 Feb 2014
Once upon a time “fashion” was only for the upper class. Clothes were custom-made to fit the bodies of rich patrons who could pay for top quality fabric and workmanship. Fashionable patters filtered down slowly, so that the lower class could copy them and produce their own clothes with lesser materials. Dressmaking was slow and expensive, both for the rich and the poor. For this reason quality was important. Clothes and accessories were made to cherish and to last.

When mass-production arrived, it was welcomed as democratic. Besides, it created jobs. Unfortunately, in the course of a few decades, the economic miracle turned into a monster. Nowadays, fast fashion is a fire -spitting dragon destroying the world behind it.

This book illustrates very clearly the environmental and ethical crimes committed in the name of profit. Fashion and elegance do not even enter into the picture. Never before there was such a huge offer of clothes and so many badly dressed women. Females who have no idea whatsoever of what suit their bodies but are just slavishly buying into the never ending heap of crummy clothes that fill the high street.

The author got interested in fast fashion because she writes a column about green living and like most of us, considered only the environmental footprint left by food consumption. She candidly confessed of not even knowing of which fiber most clothes were made of, nor knowing how to take care of them (which I found weird, but unfortunately true for too many people).

Each chapter deals with ordinary items we all own (cotton garments, shoes, leather jackets, etc…) and describes in details their destructive and exploitative nature. For instance, cotton is a crop that grows mostly in Africa. It is bought for a pittance and then moved to Bangladesh where it is processed into clothes by women and children, also paid a pittance and working under constant threat and pressure. Then the finished product is shipped back to Europe (or to the US) to hit the high street.

If you ever wondered how it is possible for high street shops to boast about weekly arrivals, it is because in developing countries a horde of semi-slaves is forced to produce whatever is considered the micro-trend of the moment (the right cut or color). It is not uncommon for these people to work 12 hours shifts assembling low-quality, cheap clothes that will barely last a season.

Cotton, wool and leather are all chemically treated to produce accessories and clothes. Clothing industry includes also tanning, which is a notoriously polluting process. Chemical dies are extremely bad for the environment. To complete this destructive and monstrous process, since fast fashion dictates that items should have a fast rotation - also because most of them would not last longer than a season - there is also the problem of dealing with discarded items. This implies an additional trip of used clothes back to Africa and more pollution, as said clothes are eventually used as poisonous land fillers.

What makes the whole procedure tragic, beside of unethical treatment of humans and animals, exploitation and pollution is the fact that cheap clothes are not even “fashionable”. They are ill fitting, low value garments, which quality is constantly declining. I actually found out myself, as I used to buy my shirts in a Spanish high street store. I still have a couple of shirts I bought ten years ago, but those bought more recently tore within a couple of months of usage. Needles to add, I don’t buy there anymore.
The only saving grace and cheering episode of this gloomy story is the last chapter, where the author gives lots of useful advice on how to break the destructive cycle of buying into fast fashion. Follow her advice. I surely did.

The Fashion File: Advice, Tips and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of 'Mad Men'
by Janie Bryant

1.0 out of 5 stars Devoid of any useful advice for me, 12 Jan 2014
Being a great Mad Men fan, I was intrigued by this book. Moreover, I am also interested in fashion, for what concerns its history and finding clothes that fits me, rather than in the hype surrounding famous designers. Therefore this book seemed ideal. I was interested in advice from a professional who is not a "famous designer" and I was hoping to find some new and practical ideas I could use to "refresh" my style.

Unfortunately, the content revolves a lot around the personal taste of Ms. Bryant, which is not my taste at all. For instance, Ms. Bryant loves high heel (not very original these days...), I hardly ever wear high heels, as I find them uncomfortable, silly and a clear sign of female insecurity. So from the start I knew I was in for a bumpy ride.

I already found most of the remaining advice in Trinny & Susannah "What not to wear" series (think about your body shape, find the right colours for your complexion, etc...) and it seemed as if all of it was just recycled. A few new tips concerned looking for treasures from past decades, but then again, I could not care less were Ms. Bryant finds her precious brooches, because I live on the other side of the ocean.

The only interesting part was some insight about the way costumes for Mad Men are created. I would not recommend to anybody, except die-hard Mad Men fans, but then again, there is too little about the show to be relevant even to them.

Hitch 22: A Memoir
Hitch 22: A Memoir
by Christopher Hitchens

3.0 out of 5 stars Life of a priviledged Oxford boy who knew many famous writers and politicians, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Hitch 22: A Memoir (Paperback)
This is a very long memoir, written in a sophisticated, dense style, at times annoying to decipher. However, it is also occasionally funny and interesting, because it covers a lot of political and cultural events of the last 40 years.

I enjoyed the first part about Hitchens's family and his studies at Oxford. During his youth Hitchens formed some long lasting friendships. There is a lot about that in the book, although written in a strangely detached way, even if he sounded genuinely fond of his friends.

Three of them (Amis, Fenton and Said) get a long chapter each. Since I did not know they were "famous" until I checked, I was not as impressed as I probably should have been.

Then we get an insight about the development of Hitch political beliefs and the following disillusionment. There aren't many people ready to acknowledge they were wrong and even less willing to admit it publicly. As Hitchens mentioned, usually people are disillusioned by the Left. It is a lot rarer to find conservatives (or fascists) "opening their eyes" to the wrongdoings of their party.

He describes very well the eye-opening experience like the end of a long, unconscious process rather than a "moment" of epiphany. I appreciated the fact that he took us through the path he followed, from the idealist leftish years of youth to the disappointment of the 70's that made him reconsider his political stance. Among some interesting considerations: the "personal is political" seen as the anticlimax of 1968 and his remarks about the fascist aspects of integralist Islam.

What I appreciated less is how the reader is kept at a distance. Hitch sticks to the "public" image of the privileged Oxford boy who navigated in upper circles and mingled only with high ranks politicians and Nobel Prize winners (or winners of at least some other literary prize).

Not a single word is spent about either of his wives (maybe because they are not famous) or about anybody who is not a public figure of some sort. Maybe this was an editorial choice, to keep private citizens out of the public eye, but for sure it makes the whole memoir sound rather snobbish. Besides, some chapters are quite tedious, like the description of his - very far removed - Jewish origins and the whole chapter about his friendship with Edward Said (also because I had no idea who Said was).

Summarizing, Hitchens seemed to have been a very clever man, belonging to the upper class and to the literary elite of Oxford boys. He led an interesting and privileged life among famous and powerful people and probably considered his "controversial" stance as a form of intellectual integrity

Blues Deluxe
Blues Deluxe

3.0 out of 5 stars For die-hard blues fans, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Blues Deluxe (Audio CD)
I am a mild fan of blues music and I wanted to listen to something that was not the classic BB King & friends. Bonamassa name came up and I decided to give it a try.

Although I find this CD pleasant to listen to, there isn't a single song that really "made the grade". It is not a negative remark, only I was disappointed not to find any specific song to focus my interest. Although I do not think it was money wasted, Bonamassa music did not light my fire.

The Mind Gym: Wake Up Your Mind: Wake Your Mind Up
The Mind Gym: Wake Up Your Mind: Wake Your Mind Up
by Mind Gym

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 6 Dec 2013
I considered I needed some brain training and bought this book almost by chance, picking it up from a selection of proposals on the same subjetc. Turns out, I found it totally useless. I do better brain training with crosswords.

Would definitely not recommend.

The Road to Escondido
The Road to Escondido
Offered by FLASH

4.0 out of 5 stars LIke the "road trip" feeling, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Road to Escondido (Audio CD)
I always like JJ Cale and I find his music relaxing and pleasant. Never been a great Clapton fan, but I appreciate his skill. This collaboration works perfectly and the result is very pleasant. My only negative remark is that I cannot really pinpoint any "memorable" piece. They are all equally good, but none is of a "superior" quality.

Trinny & Susannah: The Survival Guide - A Woman's Secret Weapon for Getting Through the Year
by Trinny Woodall

2.0 out of 5 stars Enough, 6 Dec 2013
I followed Trinny & Susannah "literary" career for quite a long time. I found their first book very interesting and filled with useful tips. If you follow their advice, you simply cannot go wrong with your outfits. I wish it was made compulsory reading, considering the way women go around nowadays.

However, when T&S started to explode successfully, they started to churn out book after book, one less interesting than the other. While I might have sorely needed some advice about what to wear, I really did not care much about a yearly agenda based on THEIR lifestyle. It was my fault not to check the contect more carefully and to buy this book only because of the T&S duo.

But I have learnt my lesson and this is the last T&S production I ever bought. The most useless T&S book in my library.

Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD]
Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Roth

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite series, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lie To Me - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This was one of my favourite series. I regret it did not last long, but I also noticed that already during the second series it was starting to deteriorate.

Based on the idea that it is possible to detect when people are lying from non-verbal communication, the first series developped a series of simple stories based on the uneasy cooperation of Dr. Lightman, the Roth character (based on a real-life scientist) with the police. Dr. Lightman is an extravagant man, grumpy enough, but not on the manic level of House MD.

Lightman is divorced and his relations are conflicted, especially with a young male colleague. He has a soft side and is very protective of his adolescent daughter. This sideplot (the daughter getting mixed up with dad's work) started to get annoying, maybe also because the actress playing the daughter was quite annoying.

I am sorry the series did not developped better, because I really liked the idea of studying non-verbal communication and the opening credits were really good.

Sergio Gutierrez Liquid Metal Wide Flexible Cuff Bracelet Crossing Arrows (17.78 CM)
Offered by Silver Fever LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, silvery mesh, 6 Dec 2013
This was one of my very few and far between impulse-buying adventures. Lately I started collecting bracelets and my preference goes to wear many thin ones on a single wrist. I have several leather and metal bracelets that I have been mixing and matching, but when I saw this one I thougnt that with just one I was going to achieve an interesting, new look.

Wearing several thin bracelets made of different materials (fabric, leather, etc...) has been fashionable now for quite some time and I like the trend, but sometimes in the morning I have to rush to work and I have just the time to grab one piece. This bracelet offers the great advantage of being quite thick and "filling" a wrist on its on.

I was a bit concerned about the metal feeling uncomfortable against the skin, but it is the opposite. The metal warms up and feel great against the skin. Besides, it is lightweight, easy to wear (love the clasp with a pressure button) and impossible to find in Europe. Since I like to wear rare pieces, this for me is an added bonus.

Also the shipment was fast and efficient. A full, well deserved five stars.

Mortality
Mortality
by Christopher Hitchens

3.0 out of 5 stars Reportage from a town nobody wants to visit, let alone reside in., 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Mortality (Paperback)
Made me want to read his autobography, so I guess I liked it ;-) Seriously, it is a collection of articles written during Hitchens' final months and I appreciate his bravery and honesty. I never thought that "whatever does not kill you, makes you strong", so I could not quite sympathise with Hitchens'disillusionment.

I always thought that tought experiences do not necessarily teach you anything (or make one stronger) and I could do without some of them. Apart from this, I think he left undevelopped an interesting angle: what about nobody dying?

I found one of his remarks particularly interesting because I just watched a silly movie titled "In Time", those main idea was actually intriguing (although the movie itself was not). If nobody died, we'd have generation over generation, overlapping. Nothing like death defines us as a species, rather than as individuals.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2013 12:27 PM GMT